Saunders: Wall could "revolutionize" point guard play

Flip Saunders was in his former Minnesota haunts on Tuesday, watching draft prospects work out at Target Center. He spoke to the local media there, and seemed to leave little doubt about whom the Wizards will be taking. The Pioneer Press wrote that Saunders "strongly believes" the Wizards will take Wall, and his quote wasn't exactly bashful:

"Dwight Howard comes along only once every 10 years. You can have good big men, but if you don't have guard play, it doesn't help you. Point guards keep you in games....[Wall] might revolutionize the point guard position because of his athleticism, but he has an extremely intelligent mind-set as far as running a team."

If the Wizards are strongly leaning in that direction, they still haven't told Wall. The point guard was on the Dan Patrick Show on Tuesday, and he said he still has "no kind of signs" from the Wizards on what they're thinking. But he said the Wiz should take him.

"I think I did the right things, and that I'm the right fit and the right person for the Washington Wizards....I can't tell them nothing. You know, all I can do is go in there, tell them what a good person I am, tell them how I got a good character. Hopefully they know everything about me as a basketball player and a person, and that they feel like I can help their organization change."

Wall said if the Wiz decide they need a shooting guard or a wing player, they might still go in another direction. He talked at length about his friendship with LeBron James. And he said the only thing he asked the Wizards was how it would work with both him and Gilbert Arenas on the floor.

"You know, we both are two good players. Gilbert Arenas is a great player, and we both need the ball in our hands to score. And I said how would I be able to do what I need to do to run the team if that's who I get picked by, if he needs the ball to score a lot? They just said they would work it out and see how it feels, and if they wanted me and they picked me, that he would move to the 2 guard spot....I want to be a point guard. I want to be the leader. I want to help an organization change and make my teammates better and win games."

CSN's Mike Jones reported this week that Arenas has already spoken with Wall, and that he thinks the pairing could resemble the old Larry Hughes-Arenas days. Although I'm not sure that Hughes ever revolutionized anything.

(Via Wizards Extreme.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 26, 2010; 11:11 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb moves to Great Falls
Next: Larry Johnson on leaving Kansas City

Comments

WOW! First?!
Anyway, Wall would really help this team as far as an on the court leader, something we have not had in a very long time. Maybe, MAYBE teamed up with Gun Slingin Gil could be something special. They could really shoot the lights out! Gil will not have to worry about running the offense and concentrate on doing what he does, score.
Wiz, go with Wall

Posted by: Doobie_Sparks | May 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Arenas is not a bad guy. He's just immature but it's the immaturity that will prevent this team from ever going progessing.

I hope Wall comes in and shows Arenas what a real top dog looks like.

Posted by: DaleGribble | May 26, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

First of all.. i think we should go with Wall but im not hyped over him...I think he can be great but lets remember it was just one year in college and he had a great team assembled around him... I love GIL.. he is virtualy unstopable! I think he should moved to the 2 and he can still bring the ball up sometimes because lets admit sometimes its easier coming up the court and catching somebody on there heels...but lets get down to the point of things.. now matter how great batman and robin will be My Wizards still need a big man to help rebound and play solid defense and still put a few points on the board. until then we will do nothing!

Posted by: roydbest | May 26, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I also think WALL needs to do a little less talking. & Dale you say Gilbert is immature. Yes he has done some immature things. But I have seen WALL do some very immature things over the course of his college season. Almost overconfident... and thats one of the reason kentucky lost..they were all over confident. It was coaches job to get them ready though!

Posted by: roydbest | May 26, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I have been a Wiz/Bullets fan all my life. i have suffered through alot with this franchise and a lot of bad decision making. but if they pass on wall i will turn in my fan pass. i wrote EG and ask him not to resign gil. i said to him why would you pay a guy 100+ mill to a guy on a gimpy knee and who does'nt listen to his coach and don't play defense. but he did it anyway what that get us? also told him let jamo go because he also does not play any defense. and the clevland series prooved me right once again. i love jamo good guy but can't play d. Wall not only is the best in this draft he also put as-es in seat's and his jersey will be a top seller and he will bring nike money in. I admit i did'nt think much of the hype on him going in Kentucky. but i believe in his ability now.

Posted by: dakel76 | May 26, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, no need to take a shot a Hughes. As Mike Jones pointed out: in the 2004-05 campaign the two averaged a combined 47.5 points (25.1 for Arenas, 22.4 for Hughes) and 9.8 assists (5.1 for Arenas, 4.7 for Hughes). Hughes was a great player for the Wiz. Though obviously, he has never been the same since he left Washington (which many Grunfeld haters forget or neglect to mention was a move ALL of us disagreed with Ernie on, yet it turned out to be a brilliant move not paying 80 million to re-sign him--given how Hughes' career turned out after DC--and instead use that money on Caron Butler and Antonio Daniels).

Posted by: Barno1 | May 26, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | May 26, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

If he is surrounded with players that can help him shine, I agree

Right now, the Wizards are going to give him NOTHING to work with so he will struggle like all hell.

The Wizards better sign 1-2 guys to help him

Posted by: Bious | May 26, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Burg - if you were here in '04-'05, you'd know that Hughes-Arenas was likely the most effective starting backcourt in the NBA. In fact, anyone who observed them that season would today be hard pressed to find a backcourt with more cohesiveness and chemistry. Also, El Boogie, as some of us like to call him, actually played 'D' - his departure really was a big step backwards for the franchise.

- The original WizDotCom

Posted by: heybige1 | May 26, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

He is a piece toward our rebuilding, of course he is not going to turn the team around, but I believe they are committed to doing it like the Oklahoma Thunder and will add different pieces every year.

Posted by: impartial1 | May 26, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Flip... Stop it with the revolutionize statements.... I seem to remember a dude named Magic Johnson

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | May 26, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

john wall is AWESOME. solid upbringing, too--he has his head together. remember, he's only 19, let him grow up.

Posted by: comhendbear | May 26, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to say this one more time. And I'm sure I'll have to say it again. Arenas is a natural 2!! He's going to do just fine with Wall.

Posted by: mcgintyman | May 26, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse