Should the Nats play "Sweet Caroline?"

Fans sing "Sweet Caroline" at Nats Park. (By Gerald Martineau - TWP)

Nats Park will be a fairly popular venue in upcoming weeks. There will be near-sellouts, if not actual sellouts, and I'd venture to say quite a few people might show up who've never before visited the venue.

Thus, it seems a proper time for Nats fans to weigh in on that fixture of Washington home games: "Sweet Caroline." I mentioned this on my chat recently, and quickly got about a dozen responses from people who, like me, are opposed to the use of that tune. One suggested a poll. Here it is.

Now, I don't necessarily dislike Red Sox fans, but the whole point of having a baseball team was that it would belong to D.C.: a team with Washington uniforms, and Washington allegiances, and Washington traditions. Many fans recoiled from the "Oh!" that could be heard loudly during the National Anthem, especially in the first few years, and for the same reason, many fans are opposed to "Sweet Caroline."

That tradition in Boston, it turns out, is hardly decades old. The first mention I could find in Nexis came from the beginning of the 2002 season, in a bit of optimism shoveled out by Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe:

How do we explain what is going on at Fenway Park this weekend to those athletes from Kenya, Ethiopia, and Germany who are here for tomorrow's road race? How do we explain all the commotion in that big old green structure less than a mile from the Marathon finish line?...

Owners mingle with fans, players pitch in to help one another, fans sing "Sweet Caroline" at the end of the eighth, and everybody goes home feeling just swell. It's so very un-Sox-like.

There were several more mentions in the following days, and by the 2003 season, the Boston Herald was using the eighth-inning tradition as part of its World Series projections:

At every Sox home game, 34,000 or so fans sing along when "Sweet Caroline," by the insufferable Neil Diamond, is played over the sound system. The song is so lame. But we happily sing along anyway, proof that anything is possible - and no dream is impossible. "Sweet Caroline" sees the future we've awaited for so long. Are you ready? All together now.

As the Red Sox continued to have 21st century success, the song became inextricably linked to the franchise. Susan Orlean explored the origins in an NPR piece, discovering that it was nothing more than this: the team's music director in the late '90s "just liked the song," and "when she played it at Fenway the first time....people went crazy."

In 2007, when Diamond revealed that the Caroline in question was President's Kennedy's daughter, he credited the Red Sox with reviving the song's popularity.

"I think they consider it good luck," Diamond said, adding that the Red Sox have become his favorite baseball team. "That song was written 40 years ago, so I am just overwhelmed by the fact that it has returned and that, more importantly, people have taken it into their hearts for so many years."

Still, a 2005 Globe letter writer protested the choice, saying:

We should definitely stop using the song "Sweet Caroline." It has nothing to do with the Red Sox or Boston. It is an innocuous song. We should pick a song that has something about Boston in it. Even "Dirty Water" would be a better choice! It's time to dump Neil Diamond.

The Nats aren't the only team to pick up on it. The Flint Journal reported that the Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Mets, Carolina Panthers, and Johnstown Chiefs are among the franchises that have embraced the tune. The Mets thing, in particular, caused Boston-site Barstool Sports to go off:

How pathetic are the Mets fans? Listen I don't love Sweet Caroline, but clearly that is a Red Sox song. I mean what type of idiot do you have to be to vote for this to be played at Shea Stadium? You can't just steal a song that is already established somewhere else and make it your own. It's unfathomable, unconscionable and unethical.

So that seems to be the question. Please vote, and if you don't like it, better suggest an alternative.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 20, 2010; 11:56 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greivis Vasquez loves Duke?
Next: The McNabb-Strahan Dr. Pepper ad

Comments

thank god i'm a country boy...o wait

Posted by: hockeypunk | May 20, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout our own song: Take Me to The River.

That's like a slam dunk, dang.

Posted by: mike8 | May 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

No, no...a thousand times no. Why would we want to imitate the Chowdah heads? Can't we have our own tradition, like not letting Teddy win the President's race? :D

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 20, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

can't we find our own sappy song to revive?

Posted by: FlyersSuck | May 20, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Sweet Caroline is the (already pretty ancient)song we sang in the 80s at bars all over Long Island, so I love that the Red Sox are singing what I consider to be a New York song.

Nats fans need something of their own, a fresh new tradition. We need a song from the 21st century, because we're a 21st century frnachise (or something like that...)

Posted by: kbockl | May 20, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I suggest "Minnie the Moocher."

Posted by: CarlosdelVaca | May 20, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

They should start playing Your Own Private Idaho.

It's just as relevant, after all.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 20, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, if we want to stick with Neil Diamond...How about "America"? Easy chorus to sing along to, Nationals play in the capital of "America"--and it could inspire debate and discussion in the stands about the Arizona immigration law!

Posted by: TheFingerman | May 20, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"Killing Me Softly." Original artist Roberta Flack grew up in Arlington, and the Nats are good at killing their fans (though rarely softly).

Posted by: jlwoodhe | May 20, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Who Let the Dogs Out??

Replace Dogs with Nats and you have the new 8th inning song...

Who let the Nats out?

Posted by: DMoney28 | May 20, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Just replace it with Go Go and Wale.

Posted by: Colm1 | May 20, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Should have had a block for "Not just "no" but "hell no".

Posted by: deMille_Ondefloss | May 20, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I voted "No" for all the same reasons as everyone else. I also heartily vote "No" on fans yelling "Oh" during the anthem. They do that at FedEx field too, and it drives me CRAZY. Go to an Oriels or Ravens game if you want to shout "Oh".

Posted by: kjhealey | May 20, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Slow day Steinberg? Jeez..............

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 20, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Tabi Bonney - Beat Rock

Posted by: saltine182 | May 20, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"Sweet Caroline" is intolerable. It's not even fun in a campy way, like watching awful movies. It's just bad in lamely benign way. If it were a baseball team, it'd win like 60 games. Bad, obviously, but not historically bad. This keeps it from being charmingly bad or campy. I have friends that sing along to songs like this and "Don't Stop Believin'," and it makes me reconsider whether I am a good selector of friends and associates.

I really don't care about the Nats at all, but they already suffer from marketing relentlessly to people who moved here from elsewhere. As a born local, I want more DC metro traditions to take root. "Sweet Caroline" is, thankfully, some other jerk city's traditional baseball song. Let's develop our own peccadilloes, rather than co-opting the particularly loathsome ones from other cities.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 20, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that the Red Sox are hardly the first to play the tune, and got the idea from other teams. I've heard that tune played at sporting events since the mid 80's
Any Red Sox fan that claims that song as their own is smoking something. Of course, I remember hearing Redskins fans say that they started "who let the dogs out" and PSU fans saying they were the first to use the Kernkraft tune.

Posted by: Cznzy | May 20, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

What to replace it with? Oh, that's easy: You Gotta Have Heart!

(Okay, perhaps a little too negative if you look at the lyrics, and doesn't spur crowd interaction. Minnie the Moocher is a fine choice. As is Shout from Animal House. Popular oldie call-and-response song, in other words. Just not Sweet Caroline, for god's sake.)

Posted by: yatesc1 | May 20, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I like Dunn's pick this year: Sister Christian.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 20, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I voted "no" and would have voted "no" 25 more times if I could have.

A good replacement would be Chuck Brown's "It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Go-Go Swing." A beat-heavy cover of one Washingtonian by another Washingtonian, with crowd participation opportunities galore. It also subtly reminds the crowd that we are going to come up to bat when this guy is done warming up.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | May 20, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

While I would love for it to be a Minor Threat or Bad Brains song, we should probably be realistic. It needs to be catchy, it needs to be singable, and it needs to have lyrics that won't make your mom blush. It would be nice if it was something with ties to DC. An easy one would be:

Marvin Gaye (DC native)- "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"

But a better one would be:

Joan Jett (grew up in Rockville)- "Bad Reputation"

Come on, dude. It makes sense for the reputation our town has, and our teams have. "I don't give a damn about my bad reputation?" We'd be stupid not to do this.

Posted by: bryc3 | May 20, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Bozwell had it right five years ago when he suggested DC's own Duke Ellington's "Aint Got a Thing If you Aint Got That Swing".

Old school.

Posted by: nkronisch44 | May 20, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"Beat Rock" is also a good suggestion.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | May 20, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Though you can't sing with it, there is some room for Danny Gatton during Nats games. Fingers on Fire during the President's Race would be pretty sweet.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | May 20, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Thank God I'm a Country Boy. Best stretch song ever.

Posted by: LouLewis | May 20, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I also want to stop hearing following horrible songs at Nats games:

Josh Willingham's deplorable country music at-bat intro song.

"Peaches" when Tyler Clippard comes out (one of the worst songs ever written).

Even Flow. There are hundreds of awesome Pearl Jam songs, and we have to hear the same freaking one three times a game.

Metallica's "Turn the Page." Not only does that cover stink, but Bob Seger never wrote a decent song in his entire career.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | May 20, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

So what is the lyrics for "Hail to the Chief"?

Posted by: norfolkoms | May 20, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Just replace it with Go Go and Wale.

Posted by: Colm1 | May 20, 2010 12:22 PM |

This

/'Pretty Girls' ftw

Posted by: TOCT21 | May 20, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"Hell no" was indeed left off, as another astute poster noted.
Also left off: "For the love of gawd, please, please, stop playing this song and having that guy dance on the dugout!"
I'm kinda likin' the Take me to the River suggestion. Hmmmmmm.....
Will be at the game tonight and will be ready to not sing the song. Go Nats!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | May 20, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Got to agree with suggestions of "Beat Rock"

Posted by: empsg59 | May 20, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Save the Joan Jett "bad reputation" song for Bryce Harper's at-bat music!

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | May 20, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Ram Jam - Black Betty

(might be used by other teams)

Posted by: graham29 | May 20, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I voted no.

Here's my suggestion:

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers

Posted by: Mustachio | May 20, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Keeping it local, with the Slickee Boys "When I Go To The Beach."

Not a baseball song, but a summer song for sure.

Posted by: TomServo | May 20, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The answer is so obvious we couldn't see it before. The song should be the Eastern Motors jingle.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | May 20, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

They should let Wayne Newton pick in 10 years when the team is relocated to Vegas.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | May 20, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, this whole thing just frosts my cupcakes. First we have to tolerate a Phily invasion, now we have to deal with the Red Sox's song. And to those suggesting a song from Damn Yankees, why choose a song that invokes another ballclub?

If I had the music button to push, I'd play "I Will Dare" by the Replacements.

Posted by: TheLeaver | May 20, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Thank God I am A Country Boy? Anyone who was born and raised a Washingtonian does not think of themselves as a "Country Boy". All country music should be banned in general, but I digress. Let's Get them Mets tonight! Go Nationals!

Posted by: mjwies11 | May 20, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Definitely the Eastern Motors commercial. Everyone knows all the words...

At Eastern Motors (Motors), your job's your credit (credit)...

I can see it now.

But I really like "I'm Gonna Be" by the Proclaimers! That would be awesome.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | May 20, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

If I had the music button to push, I'd play "I Will Dare" by the Replacements.

Posted by: TheLeaver | May 20, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

hi^5 for a cool suggestion, although i would have gone with 'the ledge.'

Posted by: bryc3 | May 20, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon Delight is a sappy crappy cringe worthy song that's local, catchy and waiting for a revival.

there's also Reunited by Peaches and Herb that fills the same requirement.

country roads was written here too.

they could also go the patsy cline or foo fighters route.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | May 20, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Marvin Gaye-'Let's get it On'
He was born in DC

Posted by: Milhouse44 | May 20, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Lissen up. We've got our own Elvis wigs in the clubhouse - how about Elvis Wig night at the ballpark - and something like "Return to Sender" as our DC serenade to the opposition!

Posted by: pgcorky | May 20, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"I've been saying play "Heart" from Damn Yankees after "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." It'll catch on."

They used to play this back before the team moved to the new ballpark. It didn't catch on, because it's BO-RING. '50s show tunes aren't what you're looking for to draw in the crowd at a baseball game.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 20, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Fugazi "Waiting room" to signify our wait for a championship

Posted by: jkblodge1 | May 20, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

The two songs that they do play at the ballpark that seem to get everyone going, and I don't think are played that way elsewhere, are Build Me Up Buttercup and Mony Mony. I would strongly favor playing those two more. There is absolutely no point to exchange Sweet Caroline for something else by Neil Diamond, or for Thank God I'm a Country Boy.

The Leaver, Damn Yankees was originally The Year The Yankees Lost The Pennant, and was about the Washington Senators, not about the Yankees at all. I love Heart, but if played it should only start at the chorus ("you gotta have heart, all you really need is heart..") Even better would be to get a barbershop quartet or DC Washington to sing it between innings.

Posted by: Traveler8 | May 20, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Tainted Love...people love screaming that "ooooohh, tainted love" chorus....

Posted by: katekirk | May 20, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"Da Butt" by EU, please

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"Get Ready" by the Temptations.

Posted by: RoachVA141 | May 20, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I thought about "Da Butt" but realized I would have trouble explaining the lyrics to a five-year-old. This makes it ineligible for prominent ballpark play, methinks.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | May 20, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bryc3 | May 20, 2010 12:43 PM

They need to retire Sweet Caroline by scratching the record half way through and then jump straight into Banned in DC. Then I'll come on the field and smash Neil Diamond records with Adam Dunn's bat.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"Welcome to DC" by Mambo Sauce

It's local, cool, and beaming with civil pride. What's not to love?

Posted by: sec307 | May 20, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I like the song, but I can't stand the moron dancing on the dugout or the people who just shout "bum , bum bum" "so good so good so good" etc. That's what's lame. Could care less that the Red Sox started using it a couple years ago.

Posted by: boywaja | May 20, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"Chicken Fried" by the Zach Brown Band

Posted by: rvrtis | May 20, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I vote for Journey - Separate Ways

I totally agree.
V

Posted by: mhaslup1 | May 20, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nick87 | May 20, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Definitely No to sweet caroline. My vote is for Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son" -- I ain't no Senator's son works on a couple levels.

Posted by: nitcat | May 20, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

How about "Rump Shaker" 45,000 fans singing "I like big butts, and I cannot lie..." That would be classic.

Posted by: nwirth | May 20, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post March. That's really old school.

If not that, then The Gourds version of Gin & Juice.

Posted by: rdpinva | May 20, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Take Me Home - The Outfield. Please make this happen.

Posted by: fsmoot27 | May 20, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nwirth | May 20, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Since "Rump Shaker" does not contain those words, I'd think of an adjective other than "classic."

Posted by: Lindemann777 | May 20, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

build me up buttercup

Posted by: bradc2721 | May 20, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Is "I Love L.A." taken?

Posted by: Bra8en | May 20, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

actually john fogerty - lookin out my back door

Posted by: bradc2721 | May 20, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Justin Kalk Orchestra from Hagerstown has a real nice version of "Take Me Out to The Ballgame" dedicated to Williamsport native Nick Adenheart.

Posted by: rjregan | May 20, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Have long thought that Nats ownership should just forego signing young pitching phenoms and one hit wonders in favor of inking Neil Diamond to a long term deal to perform nightly at the ball park -- in a sort of Vegas deal minus the neon and tatas.

Talking Points:
- Diamond only has to sing once a game, somewhere around fifth or sixth inning.
- By the time Diamond gets up to sing, most fans have finally arrived, and have yet to start their departure.
- Song appears to be the only time most evenings that most fans are up on their feet and into the moment. Even out-rates seventh inning stretch most nights.
- It's not like most people come to watch the team win anyway... as if...

Posted by: Vic1 | May 20, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Take me to the River.....drop me in the River.......Classic Tune and my vote

Posted by: JayBeee | May 20, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm partial to "Bustin' Loose", but it lacks the sing-along potential of "Sardines" (...and pork and beans!).

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 20, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Play it, don't play it, doesn't matter. As you say, the Sawx are late to the party themselves. I can remember it played at O's games on a regular basis waaaaay back in the mid-70's. Not that there was much singing along back then.

Posted by: km352 | May 20, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I always thought that the Nats should incorporate more Foo Fighters in their in-game music. Dave Grohl is a local who went to Thomas Jefferson High and Bishop Ireton High and was a part of a few local bands before heading out to the west coast. I think they have a lot of great rock songs that can be used to pump the crowd up. However, I'm not sure if there are any that can be used in any sort of call-and-response type of way. Maybe "Best of You" when he sings/screams "the best, the best, the best, the best of you"? Or "My Hero" when he sings "There goes my hero/watch him as he goes"? Maybe just forget the call-and-response and go with some of their great songs like "The Pretender" or "Everlong". Heck, we should just get them to play after Dunn's homers the part of "One by One" when he sings:
"Done, done, and I'm on to the next one
Done, done, and I'm on to the next one
Done, done, and I'm on to the next one
Done, I'm done, and I'm on to the next"

Posted by: parkay57 | May 20, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I take back what I said about "Bustin' Loose" lacking sing-along potential:

I said "sha-la,"
Y'all say "Put your money down!"

I mean really, we should just turn it over to the Godfather of Go-Go. Out of respect.

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 20, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 20, 2010 3:24 PM

The Nats front office wasn't happy about it, but Bustin Loose won the fans vote for the home run song - and they still play it.

Sardines is a good call. Any love for Pickin' Boogers by Biz Markie??

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Sweet Caroline's gotta go.

Hold On, I'm Comin' by Sam & Dave. Such a good tune.

I also like Young Americans by David Bowie - lots of DC references in that one, perhaps not the most uplifting lyrics but really rockin when played loud.

Posted by: hoyas12 | May 20, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Should we stop playing "Take Me Out To the Ballgame" because Harry Carey made it a famous Cubs song? Just because drunk Boston kids liked singing Sweet Caroline in the bar and so Fenway started playing it, it doesn't mean it's "their" song.

Posted by: Section506 | May 20, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

To be fair the 7th inning stretch in itself was a DC started tradition.

As for songs, I would like the team to do a fan vote every year on the weber nets

I vote for:
This land is your land- Woody Guthry
Anything by Journey
Free Falling- Tom Petty
The National Anthem- Radiohead

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506 | May 20, 2010 3:40 PM

Take Me Out to the Ballgame was a baseball tradition for about 75 years before Harry Caray ever sang it at Wrigley. Can't say the same about Sweet Caroline. It might be an old song, but it's perceived to be a Boston thing in baseball terms. Get rid of it.

And Dan was being diplomatic earlier, but I think a lot of the animosity for it at Nats Park has to do with baseball fans getting tired of the Red Sox and their post-2004 legion of fans.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Root Boy Slim & The Sex Change Band (with The Rootettes): Boogie Till You Puke

It's not going to happen, but it should.

Posted by: OldDude | May 20, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of music at the park. Adam Dunn with the Phil Collins walk up music, WEIRD S***.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

i dont think its a boston thing? i've heard it at 4 or 5 different sporting events no where near boston...to me its just like rock and roll part 2 or YMCA or something...its fun to sing along with, gets people in a jovial mood...whats wrong with that?

Posted by: formerlylove1 | May 20, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

"Afternoon Delight" - Starland Vocal Band, local and every bit as cheesy as Sweet Caroline. Named after a drink from a Georgetown bar with a great double entendre.

"Don't Go Back to Rockville" - R.E.M. - nahhh way too cool for the masses. Not sure that its about Rockville, MD anyway.

"Someday, Someway" - Marshall Crenshaw. If you've heard it, you love it and you end up singing along. Has nothing to do with DC.

Any number of Go go songs.

Like Hoyas12's suggestion of Sam & Dave. No cheesiness though. Great song.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | May 20, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

1) Shout the "O" in the anthem everywhere. The World Cup in South Africa. The Olympics in London. Everywhere. Because it's fun.

2) I think plenty of people from this area could get on board with replacing Neil with a certain Gary Glitter song...

3) Can we get FedEx field to stop playing 'Welcome To The Jungle?' There is nothing more obnoxious/infuriating/embarrassing than trailing by 10 in the 4th and hearing some moron from Raljon cue the "DAdada DAdada" guitar intro EVERY. THIRTY. SECONDS.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | May 20, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Go go song of some kind: "Let me clear my throat"

Posted by: legacy828791 | May 20, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

So long as the opening theme before the game starts remains the Theme from John Adams I am happy.

Fan IDENTITY is needed

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

You're telling US to offer an alternative? You didn't make a single argument in favor of using 'Sweet Caroline'!

OK, fine. "Washington, DC," by the Magnetic Fields. Or "Chocolate City" baby.

Whatever song gets picked, it's got to have a DC connection. How about 'Sir Duke,' Stevie Wonder's tribute to DC-native Duke Ellington? Or a (DC-native) Marvin Gaye song?

And last but not least: some homespun go-go. Like the Young Senators!

Posted by: RIP-21 | May 20, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

the answer is so obvious - chocolate city, by parliament funkadelic

Posted by: DCguy7 | May 20, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 4:14 PM

ABSOLUTELY! Glad someone else loves that theme as well.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

There was a discussion about this on Nationals Journal about a month ago, and there were some good suggestions for alternatives. The suggestion (from my beloved husband) noted in the Nationals Journal post that I've cut and pasted below was a bit of a non-starter, IMO (sorry, honey ;-)):

So, I was telling my husband about the song discussion and he's like, oh! I got one. "Girl You'll Be a Woman Soon." I'm like, what? They're not softball girls. He's like, but it's good because it's Neil Diamond and it's a non sequitur. I'm like, dude... :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 24, 2010 6:51 AM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 20, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"Big Balls" by AC/DC

Posted by: HeShootsHeScores | May 20, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Dylan's "Rainy Day Women #12 and 45?
------Everybody must get STOREN!----------
Or
Put me in coach by John Fogarty
CHORUS:
"Oh, put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Look at me, I can be Centerfield."
_________________________________

Posted by: dorseylaw | May 20, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I also like "Take Me to the River."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 20, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

> The Washington Post March.

Might as well play Hail to the Redskins then and cut out the middle man.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 20, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Like OldDude I was thinking Root Boy Slim's 'Boogie Till You Puke'. Pretty sure I saw Root perform it at the Smithsonian Folk Arts Festival of all places. Thumbs up for Marshall Crenshaw "Someday, Someway" as family friendly and easy to sing along (if you know it). Bill & Taffy were local so 'Afternoon Delight' might work, but only for those four o'clock start time games.

Posted by: HondoHomers | May 20, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

If both the Red Sox AND the Mets use "Sweet Caroline," then it must go. Immediately. Please. It's a stupid song to begin with, and it's somebody else's.

Here's another vote for Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke." There's a song that'll have people jumping up and down in the aisles, and with a DC connection too.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | May 20, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm also huge fan of the John Adams theme in the pregame---great music, very DC.

So many good suggestions to replace Sweet Caroline (which based on the overwhelming response to the survey, really needs to go). I love Fortunate Son, but it might not be as easy to sing along with. Worth a try.

If we're OK with Joan Jett as a native, I Love Rock N Roll is bound to have broad appeal, though it could become annoying quickly.

No connection to DC, but I love Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes as a stadium-friendly rock song.

Posted by: jcj5y | May 20, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Sing the Caps Rap song.

Posted by: fehrrocks | May 20, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

How about something by Robert Zimmerman? He wrote a few good tunes, and it would make a nice, obscure reference to our franchise player.

Posted by: js_edit | May 20, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

dorseylaw had it, js:

Dylan's "Rainy Day Women #12 and 45?
------Everybody must get STOREN!----------

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 20, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

"I'm Gonna Be" by The Proclaimers is my favorite of the suggestions mentioned here.

Posted by: patmanbnl | May 20, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

It's sickening. Truly and utterly.
How bout Dylan's Rainy Day Women aka Everybody Must Get Stoned.

Posted by: ridgely1 | May 21, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

------------

If we're going with like for like, I think Afternoon Delight wins.

Also - whenever Arizona is in town, play "Guilty of Being White" by Minor Threat. That would get a deadspin mention.

Posted by: M__N | May 21, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Ohhley, ohhley ohley ohley, Ohh-ley, oh-ley

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | May 21, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse