Strasburg odds, and fan reactions

Before this season, online sports odds hub Bodog listed Stephen Strasburg at 100-1 to win the NL Cy Young, the best odds for any Nats pitcher. His odds of that would seem pretty slim, but Bodog now has odds for some other Jeeezusian accomplishments.

Total 2010 regular season wins: Over/under of 7.5

Final 2010 regular season ERA: Over/under of 3.50

Nats will win his first start: Yes (-150), no (+120)

In other Strasburg news, the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle had some fairly humorous remarks from fans who showed up to gawk at Strasburg on Wednesday night, seen below. "I'm ready to pull an overrated chant, if we need to," was one offering. "We're getting to see pitching phenom ultra uber prospect Stephen Strasburg pitch in Rochester before he starts his metaphorical rise up into the stratosphere of baseball legacy famousness," said another.

The paper also reported that some were unsure whether it was a faux pas for Rochester to be selling Strasburg Nats tees, thathundreds of fans left after Strasburg was taken out, and that many booed after he failed to tip his cap upon exiting to a standing ovation:

"I was really focused and the game wasn't over yet," he explained. "I've never had a standing ovation in my life. I feel like I haven't done anything yet. Maybe in a game in D.C., if I'm having a good game, I'll tip my cap."

(Most of this via Nationals Enquirer, your top source for Strasburg delirium.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 20, 2010; 2:07 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen A. Smith: Wall "is showtime"
Next: Tommy the Green Ranger's local MMA debut

Comments

The girl in the orange dress is getting ready to have her rack signed.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm not getting my hopes up for Strasburg being here long term..It doesn’t really matter because hell be a Yankee or Red Sox in 6 years.. that's why I hate pro baseball.. no salary cap is unfair, but ill be happy watching him for 6 years in Washington before he goes to the Mets,Yankees or Red Sox…

Posted by: imfromdc88 | May 20, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

imfromdc88: Why get worried about 6 years from now? The man hasn't thrown a pitch in MLB yet. Who is to say there will not be major changes to baseball's economic structure?

Live in the present! Or near future.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | May 20, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: imfromdc88 | May 20, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Man you really suck the fun out of being a fan. Why do that to yourself?

Posted by: Barno1 | May 20, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Nice video!

Posted by: dmacman88 | May 20, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

DC has a bu++load of money that they will be playing with in the near future. This city CAN COMPETE with a New York, Chicago or LA, just give it time. In 10 years we will be bringing stars in right and left.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Man, I was going to make a lame comment about hoping his "rise" isn't merely "metaphorical," but now I'm not sure that wasn't actually (close to) proper English. A meteoric rise is a metaphoric one. Damn Rochesterians have corn-fused me. Again.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | May 20, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"FYI, over the last three seasons, only two Nats starters have topped 7.5 wins: John Lannan (twice) and Tim Redding."

Clippard has 7 already this year. Over/under for Strasburg's win total vs Clippard's?

Posted by: nunof1 | May 20, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

This may be a bit off topic, but the day after Storen won his first game in the bigs while maintaining a 0.00 ERA, MLB Fanhouse happened to run a piece about upcoming prospects. It included a nice little blurb about Aaron Crow (I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did):

It's been a good year in general so far for the Royals' top prospects unless your name is Aaron Crow. It's been a disappointing year thus far for Kansas City's top selection from the 2009 draft. Pitching for Double-A Northwest Arkansas, Crow has a 4.75 ERA. Perhaps the most startling statistic is that Crow has allowed 71 base runners in 47 1/3 innings pitched, including 20 walks. Crow has plus stuff when he's right, so you have to figure this is something he can turn around, but right now it's tough going for the former Missouri standout.

Posted by: jmorrisa | May 20, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Re: Crow, actually, thanks for posting that. After Storen was promoted, I was curious how Crow had been doing, but forgot to look it up, so you saved me the trouble. Who knows what will happen in the future, but for now, it looks like things actually worked out pretty well for the Nats with the whole Crow debacle.

Posted by: bucky_katt | May 20, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse