Strasburg ticket mania begins

Now that we finally have a date, the frantic Strasburg ticket mania can begin. I was obviously way, way off base last time I supposed the Nats were nearing a sellout -- while it appeared that tickets for June 4 were moving briskly, it turned out there were thousands of seats made available after the June 4 date was pooh-poohed.

So I have no idea how many tickets are left for June 8, the current Strasburg Nats Park projection. I just know this is the message I got a couple hours after the June date was announced.

A few more images from the first night of Strassover; eight days later at sundown, you'll finally get your leavened treat.

There are obviously tickets galore on the secondary market; someone is selling their June 8 seats at face value with the condition that you also buy their June 4 tickets; if you just want June 8, the markup is almost 100 percent. But that's nothing. StubHub has these gems behind the dugout for a tidy $2,000 apiece.

In fact, Stubhub's minimum seat for June 8 was running north of $50. That, as you can see, isn't typical. (Via @Presidents_Race)

Speaking of extra Gs, how about SI.com, bringing the Strasburgh excitement? We've got from coming up short on vowels to adding consonants; that's what Jeezus hath wrought.

Incidentally, well after I got the message at the top of this post, the Nats were still promoting the New Era Flex Plan ticket deal on their site, which is actually a great buy. Though every time I tried to include June 8 in my options, I was told it didn't work.

Regardless, it got the Nats to the front of StubHub.com. Featuring a pitcher who looks an awful lot like a lefty.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 31, 2010; 11:05 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Jacoby's bachelor party, and other Hogs tales
Next: Eric Fehr the actor

Comments

cue the Barno anger comments in 5,4,3,2...............

Posted by: JDB1 | May 31, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

ahhhh, the shannanigans from the ol' Natinals.... gotta love how once the 6/4 debut was off that the Nats amazingly released thousands and thousands of tickets. When 6/4 was a possibility, could you buy any cheap tix in such as the $10 ones? Nope. Now? Thousands available! Same thing going on here. Nats are holding thousands back to make the level of demand even higher. They'll probably release on Stubhub to make even more! Cheap @$$ Lerners!

Posted by: balraven | May 31, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

That was pretty hilarious Steinz. Well done.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 1, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

$2000 per seat for a regular season MLB game in June. Nice.

Posted by: randysbailin | June 1, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

It is terrible that the Nationals will not release any seats like that. It is so unfair, I could flip those seats on stubhub and make money off them. I have to feed my kids you know, they can't eat June 4 tickets. Why should the Nationals make the profit and not me. Is there a lawyer out there? I got a case here.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | June 1, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

"Electronic – Instant Download - $4.95”

What a crock! They should be giving us a discount for doing this because it SAVES them money in that there is nothing to mail and no human handling involved. So they charge us for something they actually save money on – makes us the very definition of sucker.

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | June 1, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Now that the cat is really out of the bag, I'm sure the sinister minds over in Ashburn I trying to figure out something to trump "The Coming". I'm sure all of the Synder media allies will try to hatch some type of hype about 3 days of OTA's! Everyone knows how much "the machine" hates competition.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | June 1, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

This guy is the most hyped guy to come to DC since Obama. Sure hope he turns out better........

Posted by: poguesmahone | June 1, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"Electronic – Instant Download - $4.95”

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | June 1, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

------------

Shock! Outrage! Oh wait, this has been going on for years.

In other non-timely news, there's a war in Iraq, and there may be an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Posted by: M__N | June 1, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

glad that I took the risk on Thursday and got my ticket for June 8th. now just no rainouts! i'll go anyway even if the baseball jeezus isn't pitching.

Posted by: tidalwave1 | June 1, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Ha! Now how about a few stories about fans with tickets for the 8th praying for NO RAIN, while fans with tickets for the 9th are praying FOR rain!

Posted by: kemp13 | June 1, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Wishful thinking but it would be great if people would stop buying from those crooks on the "secondary market." They're all scalpers and they only serve themselves, not the real fans who are trying to buy tickets that should have been available at face value in the first place.

Posted by: rme465 | June 1, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the tickets went to Philly fans - just like on opening day?

Posted by: Shiba-fussa | June 1, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

FYI to all those of you who are complaining about the Nats holding back tickets for June 8, season ticket holders (at least those who have a full season plan) have been offered the opportunity to buy additional tickets for the game. It's a nice way to reward fans who stuck with the team.

Posted by: Natsgal | June 1, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Wait til they start Counting the Homers.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 1, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Not real shocking that the Nats will do everything they can to screw customers out of tickets that should be gotten normally.....instead we have to buy absurd packages

The organization is a total joke

Posted by: Bious | June 1, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals never stated his debut would be June 4...The media hyped that as the probable date and people drank the Kool-Aid...Just like investing on wall st. you take your chances...

Now the Nats announce a date and the guessers are mad...Guys love to gamble, so here is your chance...

Posted by: pentagon40 | June 1, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

One poster stated ticket buyers for June 8 are praying it doesn't rain...even if it does their ticket will be good for the make up date, which might not necessarily be on the 9th....

Also, due to rainouts, the same pitcher scheduled at first might not be the same one on the make up date.....happens all the time....

Posted by: pentagon40 | June 1, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I can't find anything to complain about with this Strasburg deal. Teams hold tix to the days before the games all the time. They're still selling them, so they're not withholding them.

Besides, I picked up two tickets in a three-game pack (with a voucher for a fourth game) for less than $130. So eight total tickets at just over $16 a piece. If I wanted, I could probably sell my June 8 tickets and make a big chunk of that back, but I probably won't.

Posted by: Incredulous2 | June 1, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Only an Baseball neophyte would thing June 4 would be the date. Why start him against a 1st place Reds team, when you can debut him against the Pirates, then his 2nd start @ Cleveland. Let him get some confidence and innings, before going to the wolves.

As for tickets, I got me a 4 game flex (buy 3 get 4th free plus a NEW ERA hat, which goes for $35) in section 409, right behind home plate, just minutes ago. Got tix for hat day July 3 and Bobblehead day July 31. He could pitch those days, maybe not.

Nobody said the game was sold out, just not on sale or available. My 2 tix package cost roughly $138, much cheaper than the secondary market, and I get a hat and 2 give away day thrown in, too. I'm a happy camper. You complainers, go cheer the Redskins, or VA Tech. those fans are a bunch of women, too.

Posted by: bentdog | June 1, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dan et al, the Nats are listed first on your stubhub screen cap because you are logging onto the site from the DC area. Look again, right after the Nats, are the O's, Yankees and Phillies, the closest teams. If you long in from OH you get the Indians and Reds as the top 2 listings, etc... Has nothing to do with demand, the O's haven't been drawing all year and are 2nd on your pic

Posted by: mlbfaninVA | June 2, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse