The June 4 near-sellout

Some people want to get angry about the fact that June 4 is now probably not going to be Stephen Strasburg's Major League debut. Wherever the date came from -- and it wasn't the Nats -- a lot of people had started spending a lot of money on June 4 tickets. There are now just single tickets available in four (out of 28) seating options. I can see why the buyers wish the Nats had publicly doused water on that flame.

But look, it wasn't a flame of the Nats' making. Even perpetual cynics are arguing that there are sort of flimsy grounds for anger here.

I think a commenter named BinM from Nats Journal pretty much nailed it:

If anything is illustrated by all the Strasburg hype, it's that the Washington DC area is basically an event-driven market. That's why the NFL plays so well here (eight home games per season). That's part of why the World Cup games drew so well at RFK in 1994.

In a way, that makes me sad, because I see a number of commenters driven more by the "I was there when" factor, rather than an overall love of the sport that brings us to comment on these boards, which is baseball.

But that's what we are. I want to be at Strasburg's first start, too, just like everyone else. If I had spent money for the wrong date, I'd be a little salty. But I'd still probably re-up for the correct date. (Note: In actual fact, I'll use a press pass, assuming mine still works.)

So I'm going to look past the anger/acceptance thing, and move on to more important matters: June 4. That is going to be be, almost without question, one of the most bizarre games in Nats Park history. Sure, a lot of the folks that bought speculation tickets just won't go, but a heck of a lot will. You don't get big-time buzz for too many Friday night games against the Reds. If you can't muster some perverse sense of anticipation for this game, you and I are very different. I can't wait.

To see what we're up against, here are the list of available sections for a normal Nats game.

And here were the list of available sections at 11 a.m. Monday, when I started writing about the increased demand for June 4 tickets.

And here were the list of available sections at 3 p.m. Monday.

And here are the list of available sections on Wednesday evening. And it's singles only.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 26, 2010; 10:06 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins offseason never started
Next: Joe Gibbs's advice to Mike Shanahan

Comments

The Nationals still hold back 400 upper deck tickets for sale on the day of the game at $5 each, don't they?

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 26, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | May 26, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I have a ticket to June 4th but if he doesn't pitch I probably will not go, not because I don't want to but because I have a four year old and a one year old and I can get rid of the ticket fairly easily. If I can only go to 6-8 games per year, I want to make them count. I had season full season tickets the first four years so I'm not a big game driven, it's just kids change things. Heck, if my wife would let me go to 20-25 games a year I would!

Although I tend to agree that Washington is big game driven town, I think there's a lot of people that can only go to a certain number of games per year because of family obligations, etc.. and why not try to hedge your bets on seeing Strasburg pitch his first game?

Also, I'm sick of all the comments on previous posts about people that will be outraged if Strasburg doesn't pitch on 04/June. The Nats haven't even hinted to when he would make his debut so if you want to get mad, get mad at all the procrastinators (Kilgore, Shenin, ESPN, etc...) not the Nats.

Posted by: Loggie1 | May 26, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Dibble just said on MASN that he was told that Strasburg's first start would likely be June 8th?? Not high on his credibility. Anyone else here anything?

Posted by: Loggie1 | May 26, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Loggie1 | May 26, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I think the word you are looking for is "prognosticators" not procrastinators. Yes, the media does bear some responsibility for this. At first, I found it a little odd how much of a guessing game the local media were taking part in...then I sort of fell for it myself and predicted Saturday June 5. I told myself I wasn't going to buy tickets until it was official, though the comments from the media about June 4 being the likely date continued and continued with the Nationals saying nothing to put those rumors to rest...And then I heard the game had essentially sold out today and I went straight to craigslist and bought 10 tickets for myself and my friends (with no intention whatsoever of scalping). And then literally 15 minutes after I had paid for the tickets the report on the Nationals website popped up about the likely debut not coming until the following series against Pittsburgh.

Here's why I'm angry. This has nothing to do with the appropriate time to bring him up, and has everything to do with selling more tickets. Nationals don't seem to be doing this to give Strasburg extra time between starts, because if he pitches as scheduled this saturday then he'll already have an extra day's rest if he pitches next Friday. What this is really about is money. The Nationals know damn well they've sold out June 4 bc that is the speculated Strasburg date, yet as soon as it sells out they throw the Pittsburgh dates out there--their first comments on the issue. So now fans will buy up all those PIttsburgh tickets and the Nats will sell even more tickets. It's shameful, any way you look at it.

Disclaimer: I had Nats season tix the first 5 seasons with the same group of guys. Our finances had as much to do with giving tix up this year as anything else. So for those that are claiming the people who want to go to the Strasburg game aren't "real fans" that is total bs.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 26, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Whenever he starts I'm going down to the ballpark bright and early to get some 5 dollar cheap seats.

Posted by: Dlewis10 | May 26, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, I meant prognosticators...My bad.
I''ll be out of town the week of June 7th so I won't be able to go...bummer.

I don't really think the Nationals gain much from starting him on June 8th in terms of ticket sales. . If he did start June 4th that would be sold out as would his second start (probably) which would be on June 10th. If he starts on June 8th that will only allow him one start for this home stand. Either way you look at it the Nats will sell out two dates during this home stand.

If the Nats wanted to get greedy, they would throw out the June 8th date (which they've done) and let's say Strasburg pitches 7.0 IP and gives up 1 hit and is so dominant that the Nats decide that he pitches on his next schedule start in DC which is June 4th. This way, they sell out June 4th, June 8th and June 10th.... I would love this scenario as I would then get to go!!

Posted by: Loggie1 | May 26, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how the Washington Post and it's blog readers would react if there were a similar situation yet Dan Snyder was the owner of the team at issue that stood to gain in extra ticket sales amid a suspect handling of a hugely hyped player's mid-season debut. Personally, I don't think there's any question the response would be a lot more anger from the fans--even from those who didn't plan to attend, which would be the opposite of what we're seeing today--and a lot more criticism from the paper.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 27, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

All good points, except that you missed the part where, on the Nats own website, after one game has been close to sold out, the Nats advertised saying "hey, he's going to start one of these other 3 games...probably."

So now they ARE trying to pump up sales for what would otherwise be a lame period of 3 games against the lowly pirates.

Posted by: wassavi | May 27, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN:

Stephen Strasburg will probably pitch more than ONE GAME for the Washington Nationals!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | May 27, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

@Barno1

Ummm 8 home games for the 'skins. 81 for the Nationals. I'm not following your logic here.

Posted by: swang30 | May 27, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

I just don't understand why exactly Strasburg needs two more starts in the minors. They pulled him out this week after 52 pitches. And it's been written by those covering the Nats and Strasburg--I presume based on some kind of information from people with the Nats--that the goal was for Strasburg to have five starts in AA and five starts in AAA. Since that will happen as of Saturday, and his ERA is under 1 in the minors, why the delay?

As for the fans, it's better for the fans for there to be a June 4 debut not because all the tickets are already sold. It's better because it's a weekend night, meaning kids can come, most people won't have work conflicts, etc. A Wednesday night debut, for instance, is not as fan-friendly. Doesn't mean that's how they should make their decision, but just pointing it out.

Posted by: TheFingerman | May 27, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

So basically, it's ALL YOUR FAULT! that people went crazy buying tickets to the 6/4 game, and everyone should be blaming you, not the Nats, for feeding the frenzy. Apparently the Bog has powers you don't fully understand or control.

Posted by: bucky_katt | May 27, 2010 3:57 AM | Report abuse

To compensate for the money I spent on 6/4 Nats tickets based on a bum tip from the Sports Bog, please cancel my subscription to the Washington Post effective immediately.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 27, 2010 4:27 AM | Report abuse

Jokes aside, the fans have been clamoring for a hint of when Stras is going to make his debut and this team's FO takes an East German style approach to communications so it makes sense that the Post stepped in and provided your best estimate for the date. The Nats are hyper-aware of all media comments concerning the team and they were certainly following the 6/4 ticket sales on a real time basis so they are certainly guilty of waiting until ticket sales lulled before denying that date. My questions for Rizzo would be exactly when was he notified by the FO that the Pirates series had been selected for the debut and was he given the choice of games or was that dictated by Kasten as well.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 27, 2010 4:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sad about going to a Nats game on a Friday night in June. We got face-value tickets, and it will be a fun way to end the work week. Plus maybe Livan will pitch a no-no.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | May 27, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

While we could debate whether or not the Nationals have handled to communication of 37's impending call up properly, the fact is any tickets purchased with the goal of seeing him play are based on speculation and not on anything said by the Nat's organization. I don't see how anyone could justifiably be angry w/ the Nats organization on this one.

I am a season ticket holder (with a small group) and my next game is June 8th. I am actually torn as to whether I want 37 to pitch that night. While it would be great to see his stuff in person (and not have to listen to Dibble gush over his "cheese"), Nationals Park completely stuffed with mostly non-baseball fans will not be a pleasant experience. Even in the club level they can barely handle the typical 12k-14k crowd.

Posted by: effewe | May 27, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | May 27, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

umm, first of all, there is no comparison between these two sports. this has always been a guessing game. but beyond that, is there really any anger here? lots of people, like myself, who bought tickets did so based upon the realization that the actual starting date was not firm. i'm not angry at the nats because they had nothing to do with the hype. in fact, i'm not angry at all. the hype was driven by pundits and best guesses.

stop trying to turn every sporting issue in this town into a referendum on dan snyder. there is no comparison between sports or the teams. the lerner's have taken their share of lumps since they have owned the team. but the nats arent the skins, yet.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 27, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm a fan (one who didn't buy a ticket based on the speculation, fwiw), but as far as I'm concerned, I want them to make the decision based on what's best for the kid and the team, not what's best for me.

Like effewe, I'm also not fond of large crowds, and it'll be just fine with me if I see my first SS start post-debut on one of the dates for which I've held tickets for some time. Gee, I'll also be fine if I see Livo or somebody else on those dates. Not to diss the kid, but he's one player. I root for the whole team.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 27, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Barno, the NATS were and are selling tickets to a Baseball Game to be played between the NATS and Reds on June 4, that it all. I have a ticket for June 6 (my regular plan). I am trying to get a "rewards" ticket for June 8 based on the musings of FJB Blog 6 Weeks Ago. Everyone who bought a ticket to see baseball on June 4 will see baseball. If they really don't like baseball, they should not have bought a ticket. God, what wuld Big Train have tought about all this?

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | May 27, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

This situation is a microcosm of our current society.

Despite the risk home prices would not continue to rise, buyers bought more house than they could afford because lenders allowed it.

When home prices tumbled and higher ARM rates kicked in - as the contract stipulated - the people burned in their high-risk gambit demand a bailout at the expense of others.

The same people gladly kept the profits and remained silent when the risk paid off.

Shut up and enjoy the resurgent Nationals - and suck your own losses.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | May 27, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Retraction for decency - Sorry, meant to say "suck up your own losses."

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | May 27, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Congress needs to step in and protect the families who bought these tickets.

Posted by: LouLewis | May 27, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

For those who wish to opt out of the June 4th game, I believe the Nats ticket policy allows you to trade in tickets to a future game.

Posted by: hokiepokster92 | May 27, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

If Stras does not start for the Nats June 4th or 5th, thereby giving him TWO starts in the 6/4-10 home stand, perhaps they are looking at making sure he is able to pitch through the end of September, since "the plan" has a hard limitation on how many starts he can have.

It would be an incredible shame for the Nats to be in contention for a wild card spot in the beginning of September and not be able to use their (potential) ace to the end of the season.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 27, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who has their undies in a bunch because Stras is not pitching the 4th needs to get over it. He may pitch the 4th. He could pitch the 8th. He could pitch any day in between, before or after. There are no guarantees when he will pitch, ever. Even if the Nat's announce a locked in date things can still happen. He could wake up with a sore neck from sleeping funny and be scratched from the start. His nerves could get the better of him and he could spend the entire day throwing up and have to be scratched from his start. Anything and everything is possible.

Stras is going to be here, God and Learner's willing, for a long time. Will his first start really be any different than his last start or any of the starts in between? A talented young man will take the mound and throw a ball. The team he is facing is going to do it's best to smack the tar out of it. There are going to be good games and bad games.

The chances of him throwing a perfect game or a no hitter or even going more than 6 innings is about zero. So, really, what are you upset about if he doesn't go on the 4th? or the 8th? You still have a chance to sit in a nice park and watch professional baseball played with grit, determination and hustle no matter who is pitching.

Are you same whinners going to be yapping about what a bust he is if he were to get shelled in his first big league game? Are you going to demand a refund because he doesn't throw a no no every time you want to see him pitch? You going to cry becuase he doesn't pitch when YOU want him to pich.

Get over it. It's baseball. Enjoy the game regardless of who is pitching. You are going to have more than enough chances to see him pitch in a Nat's uniform.

Oh, you may want to do the math now and calculate when he will get win number 100, 200, 300 and 400. You want to figure his K per game average so you can see him throw all the milstone strikeouts. Come, buy your tickets to these games now. You wouldn't want to miss any of it and if you do miss it you don't want to miss your opportunity to whine and moan or complain, do you?

Posted by: tzj20874 | May 27, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I bought a bunch of tickets for June 4 because of the Strasburg speculation. Though I'm a little disappointed next Friday is no longer the popular SS debut benchmark, I'm still pumped to go to the game. Nats Town is always a great time and I'm interested to see it closer to capacity. Here's to Nyjer busting out of his funk and more performances like last night!

Plus, We still got Zim, Livo, and Teddy!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | May 27, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

NATS, AS SPIKE LEE SAID, DO THE RIGHT THING!!

OFFER EXCHANGES TO ANOTHER GAME FOR PEEPS WHO DON'T WANT TO ATTEND JUNE 4.

DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"The Nationals know damn well they've sold out June 4 bc that is the speculated Strasburg date, yet as soon as it sells out they throw the Pittsburgh dates out there--their first comments on the issue. So now fans will buy up all those PIttsburgh tickets and the Nats will sell even more tickets. It's shameful, any way you look at it."
_________________________________________

And? This is a good thing, isn't it? It will help when we try to sign Werth in the offseason. I'm really starting to get the impression that all some people like to do is WHINE

Posted by: JDB1 | May 27, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

BTW, this shows how reliable the info from the Post really is for things that are important. Nice going guys.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

And to those disappointed that they won't see Strasburg on June 4th, the time itself is very much worth watching!! For crying out loud, they just hammered the defending 2-time Cy Young winner last night!!!

Posted by: hokiepokster92 | May 27, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Any night can be an "I was there when" game. You get 81 chances!

I was there when Nieves hit that opposite-field walk-off home run against the Cubs a few years ago.

I was there when Soriano swiped his 40th stolen base in 2006.

I was there when Speigner pulled off the Reverse Lock against Santana (although that was an away game for the Nats).

If you bought tickets to the June 4th game, go. Buy a Dinger. Stay for the free fireworks. And remember us poor schlubs who have to listen to the game on the radio because we live 20 hours away.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 27, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

BTW Steinberg, Shenin, Boz, Kilgore,,, you guys should be held accountable. Way to go on record pushing faulty info.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Thank you "tzj20874" you said it just right!!!

Bob Schnebly

Posted by: StarLyrara | May 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

NATS, AS SPIKE LEE SAID, DO THE RIGHT THING!!

OFFER EXCHANGES TO ANOTHER GAME FOR PEEPS WHO DON'T WANT TO ATTEND JUNE 4.

DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

>>Strasburg is tentatively scheduled to make his major league debut against the Pirates at Nationals Park in a series that starts Tuesday, June 8 and ends Thursday, June 10, a team source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.Strasburg
"If the dominoes fall the right way, this is what we're looking at," the source told Olney.

Funny how the team source spoke the day after June 4th sold out.

HOW SLEAZY CAN YOU GET!!

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Congress needs to step in and protect the families who bought these tickets.

Posted by: LouLewis | May 27, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Great comment.

Posted by: Scruffy3 | May 27, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Please Steinberg. I have a bridge in Arizona to sell you if you think the Nationals aren't playing games with this thing.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 27, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The Nats really botched this up. Not because they angered all of the idiots who overpaid for 6/4, but b/c they have now pushed it all the way back until 6/8. They should have had a lead that 6/5 looked like the day. Then, when that sold out 6/6. And so on... all the way until June 10.

Posted by: HeShootsHeScores | May 27, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

LERNERS, STAN KASTEN, MEET DAN SNYDER.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Congress needs to step in and protect the families who bought these tickets.

Posted by: LouLewis

-----------

For f#%k's sake, get a grip, Lou! Congress? Really?

My corner market wants $6 for a little box of blueberries! Maybe they can do something about that, too.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | May 27, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@AtJohninMpls
Good to see you posting again. Hate to inform you he Giffors guit selling Dingers after the '08 season (no reason given).

As John and other baseball fans have stated those who attend the 4th, 5th, or 6th (my ticket on my plan) will see a baseball game played by a decent (soon to be very good) baseball team (uh the Reds are playing decent this year too). Also what's sleazy about the NATS attempting to make money off the obessions of its customers (as long as they don't lie and they haven't)? It's the American Way!

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | May 27, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The game isn't near a sellout. If you go on the Nationals website you can buy 12 seats together in the infield gallery behind home plate. Yesterday you could only buy singles. How are seats released for online sales?

Posted by: mojo6 | May 27, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The longer term question will all this babying of Strasbourg is, will it work? But I do like the point made that he will pitch more than one game at Nats Park and June 4th will be an odd game. Hey, it's not for certain, but the June 8th date could change. You never know with these wizards running the team.

Posted by: interactingdc | May 27, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Wait, suddenly there's more tickets available for the 4th? Maybe somebody does need to look into this.

Posted by: LouLewis | May 27, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and my first comment about Congress was sarcasm. Anybody whining about having a ticket to go watch a baseball game needs their head examined.

Posted by: LouLewis | May 27, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't trust Mark or Ted Lerner or Stan Kasten as far as I can spit.
The Nats fans won't soon forget this.

DO THE RIGHT THING. ALLOW TICKET EXCHANGES FOR THE 4TH.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who bought a ticket for June 4 knew they were taking a gamble, deal with it and quit whining.

I guess I'm in the minority. June 4th was bad timing, I'm going to be on vacation watching my little brother graduate. I don't think they get ESPNews, let alone MLB network or MASN. Returning June 8, so this is perfect. Thanks Nats!

Posted by: tha_prophet | May 27, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I guess that I shouldn't be surprised but wow, what a bunch of pathetic whiners!

"Do the right thing?" Are you kidding me? I would say that not posting a date until it is certain that the kid is pitching is doing the right thing. I could only imagine the howling if they had posted June 4 and that morning the kid woke up with a sore shoulder and couldn't throw.

The Lerner's have not been perfect owners but I have yet to hear a to hear a clear and coherent argument as to how they are in the wrong here. And comparing the Lerners to Snyder does not count as a coherent argument (and all caps doesn't help either)

Posted by: effewe | May 27, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

>>I have yet to hear a to hear a clear and coherent argument as to how they are in the wrong here

If you don't get it, YOU DONT GET IT.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

dovelevine:

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1!

Seriously, what happened to smile smile smile?

Posted by: WrongDog | May 27, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ridgely1 | May 27, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

For f#%k's sake, get a grip, Lou! Congress? Really?

Posted by: PrinceBuster21

----------

Way to miss the joke there, PriceBuster21. The internet would be a scary place if everyone took it as literally as you do.

Posted by: Andymr | May 27, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

>>June 4th is a Friday nite. There is bands,booze,fireworks,super pretty women...even baseball. By a gritty team playing better than expected. Shut up and dance.Posted by: ridgely1

Dude you really don't get it. FIrst off, I'll be there Friday night having a great time cause there's nothing more I love than a night or day at the ballpark. It's my favorite pasttime.
But that doesn't change the fact that the Nats were so SLEAZY AND DISENGENUOUS when it came to this.
THere's no way around that. And for the people who simply want to see Strasburg's debut and nothing else, the Nats should

DO THE RIGHT THING> EXCHANGE THE TICKETS FROM JUNE 4th.

And the fact that the Nats waited until just after the 4th sold out to leak that a set of new dates was the debut, shows how sleazy they are.
And that's a real shame for those of us that love the team.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

dovelevine: what happened to smile smile smile? Posted by: WrongDog

Wow some1 actually remembers an old post of mine. Don't know whether to be flattered or a bit worried.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I got a group of about 10 folks together and got tickets for the 4th, and we crossed our fingers that it would be Strasburg's debut. I'm a little disappointed that it looks like it won't be, but we knew that was a risk going in, and we'll still go to the game and have a great time. That said, I think a bigger question is why the Nats think it's better to wait on bringing him up. It's pretty obvious that he's ready for the big leagues. Assuming nothing crazy happens between now and his debut (like an injury), waiting until the 8th (or later) doesn't help is development any. And worse, it probably hurts the team! It's only one game, but what if the Nats lose to the Reds the 8th? How many stories will there be speculating about whether the Nats would have fared better with Strasburg?

Posted by: diesel4 | May 27, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Well now, don't see that folks have anything to complain about. They guessed. They guessed wrong. Maybe they will luck out and it will be a rainout.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | May 27, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 27, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you aren't doing too well in your 5th grade English class. Am I right? It's pretty obvious given your complete lack of reading comprehension skills. If you go back and have an adult read and explain my comments to you, perhaps you'll understand that what I said was the exact opposite of a "referendum on dan (sic) snyder (sic)."

Posted by: Barno1 | May 27, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

You're right barno, all it is is you trying to gobble up as much of Snyder's man-sauce as possible.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean there will actually be people in the seats behind home plate?

Posted by: whitman22 | May 27, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I bought tickets for 6/4 purely on spec and will still go and enjoy the game. Should be a strange night. For that matter I’ll be there Sunday, the 6th and at whatever game versus PITT when Strasburg finally makes his debut. So I’m not whining about the whole ticket charade. I will say, as others have noted, Kasten and the front office of this team have the P.R. sense and skills of a 5 year-old.

Posted by: gonatsgo1 | May 27, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

what about the near sellout? well, to those people who bought tickets to that game, they can take solace in the immortal words of a legendary orator....

"HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA", Nelson Muntz

Posted by: rev_ollie | May 27, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

As incredibly weird as you are Poopy, you actually come a little closer to understanding my point on this than the dcsportsfan1 guy.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 27, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Make it a "Red Out" like a Caps game...get stupid drunk, and be as loud as you possibly can...

It will make national news and might be one of the best times you have ever had a game....

Posted by: SA-Town | May 27, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA", Nelson Muntz

Posted by: rev_ollie | May 27, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Don't really understand people on here making fun of those that spent a lot of money on tickets to the game, especially in this economy. Do these same people stand outside casinos and point and laugh at those that come out having lost money? Yeah, it was a risk and you knew it going in...but no reason to try to rub it it unless you are so miserable you enjoy trying to make others as miserable as you.

This isn't going to bankrupt me personally, but I'm sure some of the people that bought tickets paid an arm and a leg to see Strasburg and now thanks to the Nats, they won't be able to afford paying twice. Like I said, only a truly miserable human being would take pleasure in making fun of them.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 27, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Dan, please read this message! I need to find someone in the media to spread this. No I'm not crazy, I'm greatly disappointed in the treatment of fans by the Nats. So I bought tickets for 10 dollars for me and a couple of friends a month in advance, we got the worst seats but knew we were gambling and figured, hey even if Strasburg doesn't pitch, it'll still be fun. however, my family is also going to that game, but they waited till last Monday to buy tickets. The only tickets left were two 35 dollar sections. i bought the tickets for my family and figured it was worth it, as that point Steven Strasburg starting seemed pretty likely. When I found out he wouldn't start I was upset, yes, but figured thats what happens when you gamble. But then, as I did some investigation, I got extremely angry. This is because I found out the Nats were apparently hiding cheap seats because they figured people would rather get cheap seats but, it was worth it to the fans for them to buy expensive seats to likely see this special event. I know this because when I went on the Nats website, all sections are now available to buy tickets for. I even clicked on the cheap seats and managed to buy 12 tickets together, even though I could only get four together a month in advance and only two sections were available Monday. It strictly says that there are no refunds nor exchanges so I wonder where these extra tickets "magically" appeared from. Please look in to this because I hope that I'm wrong, but if this is true, it is a terrible way for a team to treat their fans.

Posted by: samdman95 | May 27, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Well said. I live in NJ but have two college friends in DC and we've reunited for a game in NY, Philly or DC for the last several years. We bought tickets for the June 4 game hoping it would be Strasburg's debut (it seemed very logical to us, especially because it would give him two starts on the homestand and likely guarantee two sellouts), but even if it's not, I'll still make the drive down to see a ballgame in a beautiful ballpark.

I'm a little disappointed, but I don't blame the team for how it has handled the situation. We bought the tickets knowing it was a gamble, but one that had only a slight downside -- that we wouldn't see a certain pitcher.

Now imagine one starter throws a no-hitter -- how many of the no-shows will then claim they were there?

Posted by: NJBaseball | May 27, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

See, this is why DC is years away from becoming a baseball town. The Reds are currently in first place. A Friday night game with two of the top teams in the league fighting for first in their respective divisions? In most cities, this game would be a sellout no matter who was pitching. That's not a bad thing, necessarily. It just tells us that DC has a ways to progress before they CAN be the kind of town that sells out random (non-event) games.

Posted by: jackhitts | May 28, 2010 4:38 AM | Report abuse

Are you selling your home? Then first check if your home qualifies for the investor home buying program http://bit.ly/d789JS

Posted by: noelcosmo | May 28, 2010 5:30 AM | Report abuse

SteinBog - Nats ticket shenanigans. Please look into this.

Posted by: comish4lif | May 28, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse