Vonnie Holliday on Haynesworth

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

I'm on the record thinking it's a fine idea to ask anyone mildly associated with the Redskins, including the guy who occasionally delivers pizza to the media hut, what he or she thinks about Albert Haynesworth. That said, I wasn't expecting to hear Vonnie Holliday's opinion so soon. Because he's technically been a Redskin for about five minutes.

But he's a respected veteran, a great talker, and he sort of brought up the subject himself with Mike Wise and Holden Kushner on 106.7.

"He's not here right now, but he can help us," Holliday said. "Hope he gets his deal worked out, but he clearly doesn't understand or see how effective he could be in this scheme....I think he's just misinformed or doesn't understand his role in this defense. It would be great if I just ever get a chance to tell him and let him know, but I know he has to be here in June, so we'll see what happens."

As for Holliday's role, he said he needs to add some weight to be used the way coaches want, and that he's by no means a candidate to play nose tackle. The 34-year old said he used to see Shanahan socially last year, and has been talking regularly with Jim Haslett, and both talked about bringing Holliday in if the fit was right.

"I don't know how other guys approach it or how they see it, but I'm a realist," he said. "I know everybody thinks they still have something left in the tank. I'm an experienced guy who's played in the 3-4 for many years now, last five, six years. Yes, I can help young guys along, but I'm coming off a pretty good season last year, showing that I still have it."

Holliday, of course, wasn't here for the 4-12 disaster, but it seems like maybe he was paying a bit of attention from afar. Watch out, Zorn, the bus is com....whoops. Too late. That's pretty messy looking.

"You know, it's interesting, because I've been a part of a team where you lack clearly defined leadership," Holliday said. "Or the guy at the top is like the pilot who's piloting a plane that doesn't have a clue. It seems like that was the case here, which is why we knew whatever happened here happened. We have a new guy in charge, but from where I'm from, it seems like the guy was in over his head. And I had an opportunity in Miami to play for a guy who was a great offensive coordinator, but as a head coach it didn't work out for him, and we went 1-15 because of it."

And the owner?

"On the tube last year and years prior to me coming here, you saw him a lot," Holliday said of Daniel Snyder. "He was always on the field and around. But it seems like things are different now, and he's not around. I have not seen him out at practice this week yet. I'm sure I will, and I look forward to the opportunity to meet him."

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 19, 2010; 1:32 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steve Buckhantz's lottery reaction
Next: Arrington: Haynesworth "might as well forget about it" in D.C.

Comments

Dude's gonna talk himself out of a job if he's not careful.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | May 19, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Um, what's with the picture of Heyer above and how is it relevant to this story?

btw- I like the signing of Holliday. Very smart.

Posted by: RedCherokee | May 19, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Holliday is the one Heyer is blocking...

Posted by: smoke26 | May 19, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, my apologies.. I took a closer look @ the pic. Heyer & Holliday.. lol, ok!

Posted by: RedCherokee | May 19, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Holliday is the one Heyer is blocking...

Posted by: smoke26 | May 19, 2010 2:27 PM

Oh great...if Heyer can plant this guy into the turf, I'm sure he'll just be great on our defense.

Posted by: Section104 | May 19, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, the ol' "Hey-Ho".

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 19, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Haha yeah that picture is not a good sign

Posted by: smoke26 | May 19, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I thought Snyder may have been flirting with a reprimand from the league with his comments about AH not being present for "voluntary" team activities when he spoke to reporters on the record.

Stop calling these activities "voluntary" if all they're going to do is complain about who's not volunteering. If the coaches want everyone present, then stop whining and go ahead and change the rules so they're "mandatory" for everyone to attend.

The fans want, and deserve a winner. Win with the guys ya got! And don't worry about the one that isn't showing up. Get on with winning more than 4 games in 2010!

Posted by: BenThere | May 19, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

If it's voluntary, why should Haynesworth be there? Sure it'll be nice if he was there, but he ain't. Just like it'll be nice if I won the lottery but you don't see me crying every Tuesday & Friday when the mega millions goes to someone else, do you?

I think it's the press making this a bigger issue than it is. I wish every player or Redskins will respond to every Haynesworth question with "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Posted by: tundey | May 19, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | May 19, 2010 4:17 PM

Good post Tundey. All these people complaining about Haynesworth, I wonder how many of them would give up their vacation just because it would make their boss happy.

Posted by: midniterc | May 19, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

i think its interesting that he hasnt even meet danny boy..

Posted by: cboyhater | May 19, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Big Al is comming in june and all you haters better watch out! Some of us fans still want you here, Big Al!
By the way, F. U. C. K. Dallas!!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | May 19, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

"I look forward to the opportunity to meet him."

A free agent who hasn't met the Danny? Music to my ears. Appears like the meddling is over.

Posted by: mja712 | May 19, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Folks, I keep trying to tell ya and what do ya do? You renew your season tickets due to all the activity at Redskin Park. $nyder is still making all the calls. He never liked Campbell, never gave him the support he deserved. He was the one that dumped Campbell, not Allen. Then he had to make a big offseason splash with the McNabb deal. Are the Redskins going to act like they want to get younger, rebuild? The freakin backfield is over the hill now. Worked in Allen Sr's day, but not anymore. IT IS MORE OF THE SAME, THE LAST 10 YEARS. $nyder has an addiction to offseason headlines, brainwashed fans keep buying tickets and merchandise, and I keep beating the keys over and over and over:
WILL YOU PLEASE BOYCOTT $NYDER,PLEASE!!!!
WILL YOU PLEASE BOYCOTT $NYDER,PLEASE!!!!
WILL YOU PLEASE BOYCOTT $NYDER,PLEASE!!!!
WILL YOU PLEASE BOYCOTT $NYDER,PLEASE!!!!
WILL YOU PLEASE BOYCOTT $NYDER,PLEASE!!!!
WILL YOU PLEASE BOYCOTT $NYDER,PLEASE!!!!
WILL YOU PLEASE BOYCOTT $NYDER,PLEASE!!!!
WILL YOU PLEASE BOYCOTT $NYDER,PLEASE!!!!
WILL YOU PLEASE BOYCOTT $NYDER,PLEASE!!!!
WILL YOU PLEASE BOYCOTT $NYDER,PLEASE!!!!

Posted by: hessone | May 19, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse