What John Wall knows about D.C.

In his brief previous comments about D.C., John Wall's focus has mostly been on Barack Obama. During a Monday appearance on ESPN 980's The Sports Fix, he expanded about what he knows about D.C.

"If they pick me, that's gonna mean a lot," Wall said of the Wizards. "It's a dream come true for me to play in the NBA. Washington is a great city, being that it's the capital city. Great fans, they've got a great hockey team, and they haven't had a star there in a while. That's a place I'm wishing I can come in and take over."

Well, don't tell Gilbert Arenas that Wall thinks they haven't had a star in a while, but it was a fine enough answer. Kevin Sheehan then asked a follow-up on how often he's been to the District.

"I haven't really spent time there," Wall said. "I played in the Charlie Weber tournament two years in a row, that's the most experience I have. And I know the President stays there, that's all I know about it. And they've got a good marketing company."

At least, I think that's what he said. Though I have absolutely no idea what he'd have meant if that's actually what he said. Brotman Winter Fried Communications? That's a good marketing company.

Wall said his favorite player growing up was Allen Iverson. He said he most needs to work on his jump shot. He said one of the most important things he learned from John Calipari was that "you can't give 100 percent on offense and from 55 to 70 percent on defense." He said Kentucky assistant Rod Strickland told him D.C. was "a nice city" and he "used to love playing there." And he didn't have much at all to say when asked about the past 12 months in Wizards history.

"To be honest, I knew all the things that happened, but I wasn't on the team and I wasn't a part of the organization or anything like that, so I couldn't really talk about how things went," Wall said. "I know I read up on how [their core] got traded and things like that, but when I'm coming in, I'm trying to change it around, if that's who I go to. I want to help the organization change, help the team win games, just come in and do what I did at Kentucky."

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 24, 2010; 1:08 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brooks Laich's hit on Alex Ovechkin
Next: Greivis Vasquez graduates

Comments

I wonder if Rod Strickland also told him about the "night life" and how it's hard for you to tell a man from a woman? I'm sure Hot Rod didn't want that last little bit of info to get out. All I have to say does anybody remember the fight him and Tracy Murray had when they both played here? Well, let us just say, Tracy Murray said Rod was dating a she/he name Ann the Mann. So, Mr. Wall don't let Mr. Strickland give you any advice on anything.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | May 24, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Wall was right to say we haven't had a star here in quite a while. Gilbert hasn't played like a star in years.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 24, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

wizznutzz will teach him everything he needs to know about DC

Posted by: mini_dagger | May 24, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

No way Wall considers himself a star over Arenas. I bet that in the first practice Arenas embarrasses Wall on the court. I'll be pleased if Arenas or Wall averages 23pts and 7ast a game...No way is Wall a better player then Gilbert right now.
I don't comment on here much but I definitely consider myself a die hard wizard fan and it kills me how many Arenas haters are in DC...Yes, he messed up but I think he should be allowed a 2nd chance with the team. Real Wizard fans should embrace the idea of seeing Wall and Arenas potentially teaming up in the back court.

Posted by: crisco00786 | May 24, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Well said Crisco.

It's like Gilbert did something to them personally.....u know?

Give the man a chance to right his wrong. The only PERFECT person I know is GOD! Unless any other person in here never did anything wrong in life....then you would be the "second" person I know that's perfect.

DAGEEZ from Waldorf,Md

Posted by: DAGEEZ | May 24, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree Gilbert should get a second chance .. He still is in my opinion one of the best gaurds in the NBA and he has a lot to prove and it would be great to see those two team up .. what we need then is a proven big man who can rebound and play defense and run the floor .. Imagine if they can get Josh for a cheaper price and bring in another quality free agent .. Keep Arenas give him a chance .. he is going to play his heart out ..

Posted by: svafai2000 | May 24, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I shuddered when Strick's name was mentioned.

On the court, Strick quit on the team and the domino effect was that Whit (Chris Whitney) ended up playing on a bad ankle that turned into 2 bad ankles and cut his career short. Whit was an underpaid trooper while Rod was ballin in the clubs and making 10 mil and NOT PLAYING.

If he can steer Wall away from how he carried himself when he was here, then cool. If not, then a teaching opportunity was blown.

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 24, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I 3rd that! Gilbert made mistakes,VERY stupid mistakes, there's no denying that. But For every one to start jumping on the "I Hate Arenas, and I love wall" bandwagon is simply wrong. Gilbert has done a LOT for this team and will continue to do so for a little while(i hope). I am excited to see how the Wiz do in the FA market this summer. Depending on that I might just get me some Season tics! GO WIZ!!!

Posted by: BBallFOO | May 24, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Wall and Arenas will be the second coming of the Knicks Clyde Frazier / Earl the Pearl backcourt.

Posted by: jack_mo_99 | May 24, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Gil & Jay W are ballers, they will play just fine together. In Flip's system, the both of their skill sets will fit perfectly. Can't wait to see you back Gil!! 23 & 7 before suspension. We need a spot up shooter though(MM what happened?!?). Amare('10) or Melo('11) will wear the teal or red(Bullets!!) uni. Ted will take us in the right direction. GO WIZ/BULLETS!!!

Posted by: Hometeamzfan | May 24, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I concur on the Wall/Arenas back court. Both are good passers and Arenas' shooting will compliment Wall's penetrating since Gil is never going to be the same going to the basket in all likelihood.

Give him a chance, and trade him if the offer is right. Otherwise, what's the upgrade?

Posted by: mjsciann1 | May 24, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Wall knows that the President stays in D.C. Good to see that he's putting that 3.5 GPA to use.

Posted by: randysbailin | May 24, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow!! First of all, the gun incident was Gil's second of similar circumstance, so any new chance would be his 3rd. I saw no comment asking for another chance for Crittenden. Be honest, if this was a backup player averaging 5 pts a game, nobody would be asking for another chance. If you are a die hard Arenas fan, fine. If you feel its more important for the team keep him for winning purposes, then just say that. You are entitled to that opinion, but just be honest about it. Don't try to mask it with the "deserves another chance" nonsense. This goes for the Wizards as well. Its one thing that most teams couldn't take on Gil's contract in a trade, I get that. The prime reason you have said you won't trade him is because at the time he was all you truly had from a player standpoint, and you had to keep him to be anywhere close to competitive. Winning teams aren't owed to anybody. Doing the right thing should always be the norm, not the exception. I believe that Gilbert knew what he was doing was wrong, but did it anyway because of his status. He had gun issues while at Golden State, but since his status and lifestyle weren't affected, he felt entitled. He has served his time from a legal standpoint, fair enough. Now he is able to continue making tons of money, and judging by comments here hasn't even suffered in the court of public opinion. Funny how people change their stance based on whether a person can help their home town team win basketball games. I bet you were some of the same ones who are upset because they think Tiger somehow let them down personally. You can't have it both ways people!!

Posted by: jwat2410 | May 24, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

"havent had a star in a while" huh?

Wow, slap to Gil!

Posted by: Max_in_Missouri | May 25, 2010 3:33 AM | Report abuse

If Arenas is around this coming season- won't it be like his 5th chance?

Posted by: Fro_ | May 25, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Wall probably read Wilbon's frontpage 5/23 column excluding Gil as a star in DC...which is a more absurd storyline.
On the Gil note, he single-handedly ended the failed Jordan era and breathed new life into this franchise. If he can be given boundaries (Ernie? Flip?) he's an amazing talent and an expensive one at that. I find other culprits in-house.

Posted by: tyfeld | May 25, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse