Wizards win draft lottery. Really

Five quick observations on the Wizards winning the draft lottery. No, really, the Wizards won the draft lottery. I swear, I just saw it myself. Fine, hang on, I'll check. Yup, the Wizards just won the draft lottery. Just right now. Really.

1) Ted Leonsis is charmed. I mean, charmed like magically delicious. How do you walk into Alex Ovechkin and John Wall like that? I mean, this is the Wizards we're talking about, one of the most cursed pro sports franchises in America, and five minutes after he takes over, he's getting the No. 1 pick?

2) John Wall -- or Evan Turner, if something crazy happens -- immediately becomes a top five most popular athlete in D.C., barring a disaster. And find me another city that has a No. 1 overall pick on its MLB, NBA and NHL teams, all at the same time. Maybe our luck is starting to turn. You could build some sports fans around a core of Wall, Strasburg, Zimmerman, Ovechkin, Backstrom and Orakpo. Oh, and Bryce Harper.

3) The Wizards and their draft luck were a major focus of the Bill Simmons podcast this week. His D.C.-based buddy, occasional Bog reader Joe House, plugged something special happening on Tuesday night.

"When you consider the Wizards' history, it would make sense for them to win the lottery this year," Simmons said, mockingly. "There's no superstar, the best guy is a point guard, you already have so much money committed to [Gilbert Arenas] who's a point guard and dominates the ball. This would be a typical lottery for them to win."

Yeah, whatever. A win is a win, and we needed a win.

"The Wizards, I would say, as a fan base, probably need to win this the most," Simmons finally concluded, and here's to that.

4) The Twitter reaction?

D.C. Pro Sports Report: I'm so happy I can barely speak, type or breathe. This must be what taking ecstasy is like.

Caps PR Guy Nate Ewell: Awesome news for our friends and future coworkers at the Wiz! Did someone keep page E8 warm for us?

Columnist David Steele: Just don't take Kwame Brown again. Or anyone named Kwame or anyone named Brown. Now, armed guards to keep Michael Jordan from coming anywhere near the city limits until the draft's over.

Media superstar Grant Paulsen: It's been a half hour. I still can't feel my arms.

Jared Dudley: Congrats to the Wizards.With everything they been through they def deserved it.

Rudy Gay: Kwame Brown is a trending topic? He's my former teammate. And I gotta take up for him! He not that bad a player, he just not a #1 pick!

Kevin Durant: I actually think Evan Turner is a better pick for the wizards.

Brandon Jennings: Obama Got John Wall to come to DC..... #imjustsayin hahahaha!!!!

Redskins LB Jeremy Jarmon: Wall to the Wiz!!! UK athletes are going to get real involved in this city

D.C. Superfan Jack Kogod: This is the greatest day of my life. When I first typed that I meant it as hyperbole, but now I'm not so sure...

Wizznutzz: Wiz should draft Ovechkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

5) That image of the top of Irene Pollin? Yeah, that's pretty much what I looked like, too. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

(And you're welcome for that massive 67-inch reverse jinx, which was the centerpiece of Tuesday's sports section. Save that one. Collector's edition from the bad old days.)

(Oh, and not sure who got there first, but "Great Wall of Chinatown" isn't horrible.)

(Neither is this slogan, via Blazers Edge: "Washington Wizards, From 'Pick One' to the Number One Pick.")

(Finally, as Chase Hughes pointed out, Wall wears No. 11. That number has been retired by the Bullets/Wizards, for Elvin Hayes. Let the guessing begin.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 18, 2010; 8:39 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Gibbs's favorite Russ Grimm story
Next: Wiz win lottery, the video

Comments

As Wizards fans we deserve this. We have suffered more than Nets fans. Heck, the Nets were in the 2002 Finals!

Posted by: imfromdc88 | May 18, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This is how cursed this franchise is, that winning the NBA lottery makes me feel like we just won a championship.

Now to the people in charge....please don't mess up this draft when it comes time to pick in June.

Posted by: DaleGribble | May 18, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow. That was a seriously powerful reverse jinx you put on the lottery, Dan. Kudos!

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 18, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

hooray! hooray hooray hooray! yes. its luck, the fix was in, whatever. hooray! all the nonsense besides these last few years, for one night hooray! washington is the best, everyone else loses for once

Posted by: arn3z | May 18, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Alex Ovechcan't?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 18, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

this is the best wizards night since josh howard and company beat the nuggets.

Posted by: arn3z | May 18, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

"D.C. hater Matt Johnson: I can't wait for Leonsis to write about his excellent business skills leading to the turn around of the Wizards' ping pong balls."

---

Oh geez, is this guy one of those "the only reason the Caps are good is because they lucked into Ovechkin" idiots?

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 18, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixed connect . c O m--- All singles there are seeking interracial dating or relationships. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | May 18, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it has to do with luck. Like I said before, David Stern is as corrupt as they come. I have long believed the nba lottery to be fixed, and tonight only furthers my belief. I'm no conspiracy theorist whatsoever, but there is plenty of reason to be suspicious of Stern.

Just answer me this: why do we not see the ping pong balls come out on camera live on national tv? Why? Because you just have to take Stern and a few selected individual's word for it. If not live, why not on a tape delay after they do their envelop presentation? Why?

Stern has rigged this thing so many times I've lost count, and I don't think this year was any exception. He knew he owed the Wizards. But either way, I'll take it.

Glad I bet on 8:1 odds for the Wiz, nice little payday to go along with great moment.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 18, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

BTW...now watch genius Grunfeld trade away the number 1 pick. Get that man as far away from our draft as possible!!!!

Posted by: DaleGribble | May 18, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

people can knock ovechkin for not bringing home the cup. and point taken that number 1 pick doesnt mean a championship. but i'll settle for an entertaining product - the number one pick should at least bring that (more or less). the most enjoyable part about the last two years has been buckhantz and chenier, which is great, but kind of sad.

Posted by: arn3z | May 18, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Hate to Hate, but totally agree with bill rowland. Wizards don't need wall and then who do the reach for that ultimately turns into a disaster. TRADE IT! Think herschel walker. That's our only chance at a turnaround.

Ted is still the FREAKIN MAN. Curse of the boulez is DONE!

Posted by: jdb70 | May 18, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

After being a fan on the Bullets/Wizards since 1975 (as a kid) finally a chance for a little luck. No one can deny that this franchise has had the worse luck, worse management, worse front office, players, trades, etc., then any team over the last 30 years (save the Clippers) It's time that the good people of Washington catch a break.... thank you Lord! hahahaha

Posted by: tommycat | May 18, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans feel lucky to have an owner like Ted; & I'm hoping Wizards fans will feel the same way. This is the beginning of that process....

Posted by: Hattrik | May 18, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

remember when gilbert dropped sixty on the lakers, took all those bows, and then kobe said he had no conscience. hahaha. this night is like that.

remember when caron was real good and he took it to paul pierce and the celtics that one year. this night is like that.

Posted by: arn3z | May 18, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DaleGribble | May 18, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the morons are out in full force tonight. Get Ernie Grunfeld as far away from our draft as possible? This is a pretty funny comment. Most NBA experts consider Grunfeld to be among the upper echelon of NBA GMs--with a specialty in drafting.

The man found Michael Redd in the 2nd round. Second round! Redd in his prime was one of the best guards in the NBA. Grunfeld found Andray Blatche in the 2nd round, another diamond in the rough. He found Javale McGee, a future all star, with the 18th pick. He rebuilt 3 teams that were in disaray into perennial playoff teams. Me thinks we'll be okay with Ernie at the helm.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 18, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I hope ernie was paying attention to espn ie: Majic Johnson == you cannot pass on John Wall ! Do not trade pick take franchise player pleeeeeese !

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | May 18, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | May 18, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

SORRY I MEANT MAGIC

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | May 18, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Wall can have the number zero.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | May 18, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | May 18, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Ahh yes, Barbno1, you just showed you're absolutely wise.

So you're giving Grunfeld a pass just b/c he found a couple of "gems". I guess you forgot about Pecherov, John Peter Ramos, Vladimir Veremeenko, Dominic McGuire and trading away the Devin Harris pick? Not to mention signing Arenas to a ridiculous contract?

Ok, so he found McGee. Let me see, has McGee warranted even being mentioned? Not really, since he may turn into a gem or a bust. If Blatche turns out to be the real deal, then I'll give you that.

But everything combined, it looks like Grunfeld is an average GM at best.

Posted by: DaleGribble | May 18, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

oh don't worry, Ernie Bumfeld will find a way to screw this up! Do something SMART for a change! How? EXIT GILBERT ARENAS!! BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!

Posted by: iubiquity | May 18, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

If the Wiz draft Wall, look for Gilbert to play the 2 and, after this year, get traded or let go.

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | May 18, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

That was Ernie's lover speaking. Everyone else paying attention knows he is another nightmare waiting to happen!

Posted by: iubiquity | May 18, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

But everything combined, it looks like Grunfeld is an average GM at best.

Posted by: DaleGribble | May 18, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Hahahah! Like I said, the morons are out in full force tonight. Uh, trading away the Devin Harris pick? You can't be serious. Well, clearly you don't recall the specifics of that move. First off, it's not likely we draft Harris with our first round pick if we intended to keep it--since we already had Gilbert Arenas in his prime. Second of all, that trade would have been worth it straight up just to get Jamison, who we aquired in the move, and led us to 4 straight playoff appearances after the team had made the playoffs just once in 2 decades. It would have been worth it just for the swap of those two players. But when you throw in the fact that we also got rid of Christian Laettner and Jerry Stackhouse in that trade, 2 big contracts and 2 big locker room problems on that Wiz team--well any NBA observer with any common sense would agree it was a great, savvy move by Ernie which paved the way for playoff appearances in 05, 06, 07, and 08.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 18, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Ahh yes, Barbno1, you just showed you're absolutely wise.

But everything combined, it looks like Grunfeld is an average GM at best.

Posted by: DaleGribble |

Made a bonehead trade just last year instead of drafting the likes of Brandon Jennings!

Posted by: iubiquity | May 18, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iubiquity |

Sorry, I was referring to Bumfeld and whomever that was misguidedly singing his praises.

Posted by: iubiquity | May 18, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Once again, the only moron in full force is Barno1.

I like how you just "elected" to ignore all the other picks Grunfeld bombed out on. I see you also ignored the Arenas contract too huh?

If you want to point out the good things he's done, then you must mention the utter failures too. Yes Grunfeld is a much better GM than Jordan or Unseld. But please stop making it look like he's an Einstein in the making. As much as he's helped the Wiz, he's hurt it just as much. The record speaks for itself since the buck stops with the GM.

I think that other poster was right. You must be Grunfeld's lover.

Posted by: DaleGribble | May 18, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Barno 1, you're too funny. It seems like Ernie can't do anything wrong just like your boy Vinny Cerrato.

Posted by: akjproductions | May 18, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

In the immortal words of Samuel L Jackson...

CAN YOU DIG IT!!!!!!!

one more time

CAN YOU DIG IT!!!!!!!

Shanny and the Skins

SS, Storen the Nats

AO and the Caps

Now Wall and the Wiz!!

CAN YOU DIG IT!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ajb1094 | May 18, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Can you dig it? Samuel Jackson didn't quote that. That was Cyrus, leader of the New York gang the Riffs from the great 1978 movie The Warriors. Samuel L was noted for saying "Oh I'm sorry, Did I break your concentration?"

Posted by: akjproductions | May 18, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

That's a million dollar photo of Irene Pollin. Don't even think about drafting anyone but John Wall..

Posted by: randysbailin | May 18, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

It's surprising because as a Wiz fan you expect the 5th or 6th pick. I still can't believe it.

Posted by: jbworldwide | May 18, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin | May 18, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

100% agree with you on the photo. Priceless.

As for drafting, if we keep the pick I think Wall is the consensus number 1 pick--or will be by draft day. I wouldn't be stunned if we moved the pick if the right opportunity arose, but have full faith in Ernie to do the right thing.

Amazing how quickly people in this town forget the good things various sports figures have done. People in this town are so quick to throw a Gary Williams out the door, send Gilbert Arenas packing, cut Clinton Portis, fire Ernie Grunfeld. Granted, these people are in the minority--though it sometimes doesn't appear that way on a given blog--but their lack of loyalty to those that have brought this town joy on and off the field over the years is pretty sad in my opinion.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 19, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

this is the best wizards night since josh howard and company beat the nuggets.

Posted by: arn3z | May 18, 2010 9:37 PM |

what about when drey and co they beat the celtics?

Posted by: dcalize | May 19, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Just an idea, but trade the pick to the Russian for their pick this year and their first next year. The Nets get to pick Wall, which the rich Russian seems to want badly. The 76'ers are set at point, with Jrue Holiday , so they go big man, and Evan Turner is there at #3 for the Wizards and he might be a better fit anyway.

Posted by: unquiltom | May 19, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Its funny people bring up names we should have drafted when noone was talking about those same players at that time. People was labeling Brandon Jennings a bust and cancer "me first" player before he succeeded with the Bucks. Curry was solid, but would get dominated on defense. Only player I really liked was Tyreke Evans. Seeing that Rose, Evans, and Wall all are Calipari products then I take Wall in a heart beat. Evan Turner may be solid, but all I can see is Michael Beasley meaning he is not a sure thing like Rose was that draft.

Posted by: ATLredskin | May 19, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Hey John Wall or Even Turner - you'd better be careful and don't fall down the stairs at the NBA draft like that guy in the "lifa comes at you fast" Nationwide Insurance ad!

Posted by: didnik | May 19, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey John Wall or Evan Turner - you'd better be careful and don't fall down the stairs at the NBA draft like that guy in the "life comes at you fast" Nationwide Insurance ad!

Posted by: didnik | May 19, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Just wow.

Posted by: RedCherokee | May 19, 2010 4:11 AM | Report abuse

It will be hard for Ernie G to mess up the number 1 pick. But let us see what he does with the other 2 picks. I hope he has some serious outside the organization advise to pick those.

Posted by: JoeC2 | May 19, 2010 4:32 AM | Report abuse

My vote goes for Turner. Way to go Wiz!!!!

Either player is a win to me. At least this year, we get the opportunity to have a choice of number one or two. I am sure until then this blog will be full of debating. Something about John Wall's demeanor left me with the feeling that Washington is not the place he wants to be. (can't say I blame him) We don't need any players on the team who are not fully committed to playing for this organization. I still say Turner is the best fit for the Wiz.

Posted by: ivyleague | May 19, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Without a doubt they should draft John Wall, he is the best player in draft.

Check out my blog post on the draft:

Posted by: jon3889 | May 19, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Is that the look she gave whenever she saw Abe undressing?

Posted by: hithere1 | May 19, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

They're going to blow the pick. The Bullets can't draft. There's nobody in the front office with a clue about building a winner.

Posted by: kemp13 | May 19, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

You guys can dump on barno for failing to mention Grunfeld's other missed opportunities...

...But it seems like you are being unfair when you do this because barno's post was specifically addressing the devin harris trade myth. When you consider the context of that trade (which is hard to do when you have your 20x20 hindsight goggles on) that trade seems to have worked out for the Wizards at THAT time.

Now, today, would we like to have harris? Absolutely, sure why not. But that team grunfeld was working with was garbage and he pulled a few years of consistent playoff caliber play out of it. You can't forget getting caron butler either...

I still think the Etan Thomas deal was one of his worst moves. I imagine that team with more salary mobility being able to add a real piece of the puzzle without thomas, but there was too much of an unrealistic win now attitude. That could have been because of Pollin. I mean RIP, but he was dieing and wanted to win before he passed.

Posted by: gconrads | May 19, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Hello, summer, good place for shopping, fashion, sexy, personality, maturity, from here to begin. Are you ready?

New era cap $15

........♬

...♪......♪

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted by: wwterueytiruertuwety | May 19, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Correction: "The Great Wall Of Chinatown" is, in fact, horrible. Please never use it again. Thank you.

Posted by: walkdwalk | May 19, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | May 18, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

why? because they had a half hour show to fill and wanted to keep it dramatic. if you were paying attention you would know that the ping pong balls are selected earlier in front of team reps (ernie was there) and probably some media. they were prohibited from having cell phones etc so they could not let the cat out of the bag. then the envelopes are filled and brought out. there is little if any possibility of shenanigans in the lottery these days, unless all the teams were in on it, which is highly unlikely. not saying the lottery wasnt fixed in the past, just not now.

you really want to see tape delayed ping pong ball selecting?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 19, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Sorry dcsportsfan1, the NBA is a gutter league and not worthy of trust on any thing.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 19, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Poor Abe...he was married to the jinx buster but didn't know it!!!

Posted by: bundy44 | May 19, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

All I can say is I hope what changed their luck wasn't the awful new Leonis-as-Gordon-Gecko slicked-back hairdo.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | May 19, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Ok everyone I am going to say, the best thing that happen with the Wizards is the day Abe Pollin died. Abe was a bad owner protect Agent 0 and his stupidity, protected Wes the worest coach ever in the NBA (you could have gotten a train monkey, to do a better job), give too much money for waste of playes (again see agent 0, Juwan Howard, Chris Webber, etc.), brought in that scumbag Jordan and I mean MJ, gave a way Wallace for a cow and 2 magic beans, letting that inept woman run all of the good players and coaches away and trying to ge a good Global Citizen by changing the name from the Bullets to the Wizards. We need to rid the organization of all Pollin's. Tell the wife to go away and the same with the sons there bad karma is not what we need.

Posted by: c_note_70 | May 19, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

EVERYONE HAS A FOREGONE CONCLUSION THAT WIZARDS WILL PICK WALLS--WHILE NO ONE IN THE WIZARDS ORGANIZATION HAS YET MADE THAT CLAIM..HMMMMM

Posted by: washdc11 | May 19, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Abe came back from the dead and is feelin' a little frisky.

Posted by: gbooksdc | May 19, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's in bad taste. Deadspin'sworse:

Posted by: gbooksdc | May 19, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to admit my mistake. This was the first year I'd ever heard of team reps witnessing the ping pong balls behind the scenes. It goes without saying that it's not plausible to rig it with all of these witnesses. So, I have to say that my theory, like just about every other conspiracy theory, is false.

Go Wiz