A Bryce Harper jersey at Strasmas

On the day Stephen Strasburg was drafted by the Nationals, Ernie Kyger -- a season-ticket holder from Olney -- went to a team store and had himself made a "Strasburg 37" jersey. He wore it proudly many times over the past year, showing himself to be a beacon of future happiness.

But he didn't wear it during Strasmas. No, he was too busy wearing his "Harper 34" jersey on that night.

"I thought there'd be plenty of Strasburg jerseys," he told me, and I couldn't argue with that. "You've got to keep moving forward here. We drafted a Harper the day before; it's his moment too. It doesn't end with Strasburg. There's more. Ride that wave to prosperity."

Ride it, sir. Pre-Strasburg, Kyger's go-to game wear was a 1969 Ted Williams model, which is also an excellent choice. He bought the blank Nats jersey for about $150, paid about $85 for Harper's name and number to be added, and told me that with rumors of a possible logo change, the thing might be incorrect before Harper ever reaches the majors. But no matter.

"The day he was drafted, this was the Nationals jersey," he said. "I'll probably wear it a lot -- I want Stan and Rizzo to see it. Now I've got to get the war paint."

Kyger said he had no concerns about Harper switching numbers, saying he assumes that Scott Boras will get rights to 34 written into the kid's deal. And he said his premature jerseys were not a reflection on the current players, just an attempt to have fun.

"You see goofball things like this, we're just having a good time," he said. "And that's the important thing. That's really what it's all about."

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 10, 2010; 12:41 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: "Stephen Strasburg, Va." plan ends badly
Next: Leonsis says it's time to re-embrace Gilbert Arenas

Comments

"Rumors of a possible logo change"? I need more information on that one. I've noticed that the players rarely wear the white tops at home any more (Strasmas excepted), favoring the red curly-W jerseys instead. The away jerseys no longer match the home ones either. All of this points to a change in the home whites. I would be very pleased if that happened.

(Yes, this is important. At least I'm not talking about the way Strasburg bloused his pants, no matter how awesome it was.)

Posted by: jcj5y | June 10, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

...and told me that with rumors of a possible logo change, the thing might be incorrect before Harper ever reaches the majors...

*eyebrows rise*

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | June 10, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I hate the home whites. It has more to do with the clunky block lettering. I would love it if they went with the cursive script found on the road jerseys. GO NATS!

Posted by: tylerdurden1 | June 10, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The block Nationals logo was foisted on the team by MLB in '05. The new logo has to be a script Nationals, matching the away jerseys. Phil Wood mentioned this the other night and wondered whether the big Nationals sign on top of the scoreboard would soon be on the side of somebody's house when it's replaced by a script Nationals sign.

Posted by: mojo6 | June 10, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

the uniforms were all wrong from the jump. A curly W and block letters were way off. They got it 95% with the away uni's. But the gold shadowing doesn't match anything

Posted by: epostell | June 10, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

i've loved the nats from day 1, i had an amazing time at strasmas, and i do have a gray jersey with the block "washington" lettering - but i hate hate HATE the font. i love the curly W, and the script Washington... if the home jerseys changed to a script Nationals, that would be amazing! i can't wait to hear more about this.

Posted by: rubyx4soho | June 10, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The Lerners have been too cheap to change the logo and NATIONALS font - because that's what the stadium came with (signage, etc). I think they'll pull the trigger with better home uniforms and a new wordmark (design nerd term alert) over the winter.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 10, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Script Nationals lettering seems like the logical choice, given that the curly W isn't (and shouldn't be) going anywhere. There might even be a hint of what such script would look like in the "NatsTown" logo that's all over the team website:

Don't really love the script "N." A white version of the red curly W jerseys might be better.

Posted by: jcj5y | June 10, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Also, my understanding (from reading it somewhere else on the internet) is that it takes a year to get new uniforms approved by MLB. So if there are going to be new home whites next season, the request is probably already in.

Posted by: jcj5y | June 10, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see pinstripes return on the home jersey. Pinstripes, off-white cloth (e.g. SF Giants), curly W or "Nationals" on the front? Perfect.

Posted by: yatesc1 | June 10, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yatesc1 | June 10, 2010 2:34 PM

Pinstripes are great, but the Phillies (spit), Mets and Marlins already use them in the division. Love the off-white/cream idea, though the Phillies use that for their home Sunday uniform. I think they'll end up with the simple white script uni they had before the team left...

Or outside the box with some sort of Washington crest/seal on the chest?

Posted by: Kev29 | June 10, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Needless to say Steinberg, I think you need to look into this. My vote is off white with the one Curly W.

Posted by: robinson20194 | June 10, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I was just saying HE had heard rumors, not me. Trust me, if there are top-secret plans to do something with this, no one's filled me in yet. But I will attempt to ask around, or "report," as some people call it.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | June 10, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Dan. I think there would be a huge positive response if the Nats improved their home unis. I know I've held off on any purchase (other than my own '69 Williams throwback) until they do something about that terrible font and the gold trim.

Posted by: jcj5y | June 10, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse