A D.C. United sign at the World Cup

Since my focus is on D.C., I haven't really written a word about the World Cup, even though I've watched parts of all 11 matches as of this writing. But someone going to the trouble of hauling a D.C. United poster to South Africa for a U.S.-England match definitely qualifies as D.C.-worthy.

(My previous observation was that Alex Ovechkin averaged 0.69 goals per game last season, and that World Cup teams in general are struggling to top that pace. Before Italy-Paraguay kicked off, the current rate was 0.80 goals-per-game-per-team. This observation, though, makes me an American exceptionalist, so I'll keep my mouth shut.)

(Via WapoCup, via Reader David.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 14, 2010; 2:39 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Strasburg's grip
Next: Ike Austin liked donuts

Comments

Thanks for posting this -- awesome! DCU fans rock.

(As for your other point, do you compare Ovechkin's GPG average to the NBA? Of course not, because apples-to-oranges comparisons are silly. Plenty of Americans love the sport as it is; your strawman doesn't make you exceptional.)

Posted by: -rke- | June 14, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

How can you compare Ovechkin's goal average for an entire season with the world cup that's just 4 days into the opening round? In any case, what kind of stupid comparison is that? Why don't you compare the number of baskets in an NBA game with the number of TDs in an NFL game and draw lame conclusions?

BTW, I know you'll claim you actually watch a few soccer matches (just like a racist will claim to have a few black friends)...I just wonder what the point of your last paragraph was.

Posted by: tundey | June 14, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Considering that Hockey and Soccer are similar in style in so far as the scoring methods goals and goal keepers I thought that a fair comparison.

Sure there are other major differences but none the less Hockey = indoor soccer on ice... with sticks... and legal fights.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 14, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Tundey, I've watched part of every WC match so far, and the majority of most of them. I love the stuff. But I think the (historically low) scoring thus far has made it less entertaining than it should be, and I think hockey and soccer scoring are a lot more similar than basketball and soccer.

Posted by: shina1 | June 14, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for being out of the loop, but what does that sign mean? Is there a possibility the United will leave DC?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 14, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

RFK is literally falling apart. Worst stadium situation in the league (revenue and facility wise). can't survive without a stadium.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 14, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey

----------------------

Wow. Having a tough time recognizing tongue-in-cheek writing today, tundey? Lighten up and enjoy the World Cup.

As a diehard soccer fan of 30+ years I can say this with some authority: Some of us (American soccer fans) are among the most sensitive and whiny sports fans anywhere.

And you're Exhibit A.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | June 14, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Pindar. So there's not a specific plan to move the team out of DC, but moving out of DC remains a possibility because of RFK. Got it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 14, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Guffaw, guffaw... soccer's low-scoring... fresh material, man. Got any riffs on airline food?

Posted by: ChievoFan31 | June 14, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

The difference between soccer and airline food is that no one goes around self-righteously insisting that airline food is awesome and we Americans are just too dumb to realize it.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | June 15, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

NateinthePDX...another level of meaning in that sign is attained by taking it literally.

To many supporters it means don't move United to a stadium in any of the surrounding counties or to Baltimore.

The underlying message is that a stadium for DC United is needed somewhere in Washington, DC.

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 15, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

awesome banner.

well it has been a low scoring world cup, except for germany, it could use some more attacking and goals. maybe the US will light it up friday.

Posted by: scarlett3 | June 15, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse