A Strasburg strikeout, from the bleachers

I mentioned this earlier, but one of the most striking things about watching the game in the crowd was seeing everyone celebrating together. Husbands hugging wives, buddies exchanging fist pounds, strangers giving each other high-five, and so on. It was almost like a Tiger Woods crowd, where everyone was united in the desire to see individual greatness of a sort they'd never seen before.

Here's some fan video of Strasburg's final strikeout in the seventh. It sort of gives the idea. Everyone's standing. When he gets the K, everyone's arms go into the air. And then the communal celebrating stuff begins. This was a big part of what made that night so memorable.

(Thanks to Reader James P.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 9, 2010; 1:16 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Did Strasburg hit 103?
Next: Strasburg debut smashes MASN ratings record

Comments

More good crowd reaction video from section 114 can be found here, including the last strikeout. The crowd erupts like the Nats just won a playoff game.

Posted by: mattactonrobinson | June 9, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Lately, the Tiger Woods crowds are more concerned about getting hit by an errant drive.

Posted by: rdpinva | June 9, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for posting that. Nearly brought tears to my eyes to see D.C. enjoying ANY sporting event that much. Seen similar stuff for other teams and cities, but rarely in the past 10-15 years have we gotten a magical night like that. Makes me miss home. Thanks Steiny.

Posted by: saltine182 | June 9, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

The top of my head made the Bog!

Posted by: BlueberryRuffin | June 9, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

An unbelievable sight - something I never thought I'd see in my life... yes, I'm talking about the black Red Sox fan in that video.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 9, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Damn, it WAS a big night---the Bog discovered fans have fun in the stands.

Sorry Dan ... fat pitch.

Posted by: OmSteven | June 9, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

This reminded me of a few Caps games of the past couple years -- great to see the same atmosphere at a Nats game as well!

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | June 9, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that is what I was going to post. That kind of atmosphere is routine at Caps games now. Those who say they haven't seen it before need to go to some Caps games.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | June 9, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Skins games bring out the random celebrations with strangers. So does booze.

Posted by: jpfterps | June 9, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

too bad there is no video of the impromptu ste-phen stras-burg chant that sprung up in the middle of his last inning

Posted by: 2010johara | June 9, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

@BlueberryRuffin: is that you in what looks like a maroon and orange nat's hat? if so, where'd you get that?

Posted by: jwattVT | June 9, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse