A vuvuzela at the NBA draft

A reader kindly points out that I actually asked this kid to pose for this photo. And that he was not, in fact, blowing his horn constantly, but was only doing so during fan cheers. And that it's particularly scummy to take advantage of a kid like this, a kid who was just being nice and bringing out his horn for a media member he didn't know.

I can't argue with any of this, although he was blowing it an awful lot. But that was one of the scummier things I've ever published, now that I think about it. I apologize, and I'd invite him to blow the vuvuzela directly into my ear if we ever meet again.

Seriously, sorry. That was bad.

At least when they muck up the sound at the World Cup, you could argue that it's some sort of organic representation of the people. But when a Nets fan blows the bloody thing for two hours in a row in Madison Square Garden, you surely can only wish that he wakes up with bits of plastic lodged in his soul.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 24, 2010; 10:37 PM ET
Categories:  NBA
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The fans and John Wall
Next: Greivis Vasquez drafted, celebration begins

Comments

I have long believed that the people who go to the nba draft (mostly to boo) are among the biggest losers on the face of the earth. This only adds to my belief.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 24, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

The guy sitting in front of him does not look like he's having a good time.

Posted by: decoy13 | June 24, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

You know what? I'll admit it. I've come to like the vuvuzelas.

Posted by: theamazingmouse | June 24, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

The caps fans have been into vuvuzelas since before they were cool--as this very Bog once noted:

I have to say that massed vuvuzelas are still repulsive to me.

Posted by: ouij | June 25, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I have to say that massed vuvuzelas are still repulsive to me.

Posted by: ouij | June 25, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I was seated 5-6 rows in front of this kid. When the Nets picked I think his mother was louder than him and she was just yelling. I wasn't too thrilled to have this guy blowing his horn but it wasn't intolerable. I just wish I had brought a vuvuzela too so I could drown out his noise making with my own. Oh and I give the Knicks get an F for their draft picks.

Posted by: KnicksNYFGiants | June 25, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse