Baltimore rages at MASN's Riggins ad

On Monday, I posted the MASN trailer for the upcoming John Riggins Show. Here it is, again. I noted that it was, perhaps jarringly, filmed on a football field lined with purple seats. In other words, on Baltimore's turf, not D.C.'s.

The official explanation was that MASN is a two-city network, and that this merges both cities together. The not-so-difficult-to-grasp unofficial explanation is that the Redskins have a partnership with Comcast SportsNet, so FedEx Field probably wasn't going to work. Either way, I saw it as a cute little quirk in a basically nice spot.

And Baltimore? Well, at least one writer saw it as cause to light his chest hair on fire, grab the nearest garden shovel, and run for the barricades. You want some anti-DC rage? Here are a few bucketfuls, courtesy WNST's Glenn Clark:

The fact is, there's nothing okay about filming a John Riggins commercial at M&T Bank Stadium. There's nothing okay with mixing purple colors and Washington Redskins highlights. There's CERTAINLY nothing okay with using an audio clip that is CLEARLY designed to sound like "Hail to the Redskins" on top of a commercial that includes a stand-in that just so happens to be a dead-ringer for Art Modell.

Just warming up. His chest hair has only just started to singe. It gets much smokier. Really:

The fact is, no one in the District of Columbia will care or be offended by this commercial one bit. Mostly because the handful of real sports fans in DC are indifferent to the Ravens. The handful of real sports fans in DC hate the Dallas Cowboys, but don't much care about other teams. The majority of sports fans in DC are transient; and root for more than one team. It isn't particularly surprising to bump into a sports fan in the District that wears a Tigers hat and a Red Sox shirt.

That's just the way their market works. Certainly, they care about the Skins much more than they care about any other franchise in their city-but there are a number of folks in the District, Northern Virginia and Prince George's County that would admit that they probably follow the Ravens as their 2nd team, and pull for the Ravens after the Redskins season ends. (Not a low blow Redskins fans, just a fact.)

Do such fans exist? Possibly. I can't say I've ever met one, but possibly. I know some fans in the counties between the cities have shifted their allegiances from one team to the other, but I've never met anyone from D.C. who's done so, and I've certainly never met anyone from Northern Virginia who roots for the Ravens. Anyhow, more rage, please:

But what I WON'T accept is what a slap in the face the John Riggins M&T Bank Stadium commercial is to fans in Charm City. We AREN'T transient. We DON'T root for the Redskins when the Ravens aren't playing.

In fact, judging from the response to first annual "I Hate The Redskins" show on AM1570 WNST last year (we'll be doing it again this year, trust me); I'm not the only man in town whose attitude of the team that wears Burgundy & Gold is one of absolute rage.

John Riggins is walking around M&T Bank Stadium in front of the purple seats that are owned by the people of Baltimore. Those are seats that are owned thanks to unbelievably hard work by folks in a blue-collar city. Redskins fans could never possibly understand that.

But why are they purple? Shouldn't they at least be purple camo? Anyhow, more rage, please:

Call it "little man syndrome" or a "Napoleon Complex" or whatever you want; but it's just a fact. We aren't okay with Washington or the Redskins here. They're not welcome, and we will NOT celebrate them....

Washington fans got over Peter Angelos trying to block MLB in the district. But Washington fans aren't blue collar, diehard, live or die passionate fans. Folks who aren't from Baltimore won't understand that. There is no "getting over" our anger towards Washington.

Washington fans got over Peter Angelos trying to block MLB in the district? In a page full of loony, this one earns top billing. Washington fans, my dear friend, loathe Peter Angelos. They'd like for him to spend eternity listening to Nasty Nestor play "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" on a vuvuzela. They will never forgive him for keeping baseball out, or for keeping games off television, or for the MASN imbroglio. I guess folks who aren't from Washington won't understand that.

But my fondest hope is that we can now witness Baltimore and Washington fans making fun of each other in the comments section. And, go!

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 29, 2010; 10:46 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rob Dibble's had enough of the Nats' defense
Next: The Braves fan in the white polo shirt

Comments

Making fun of Balamer fans requires that one care about Balamer. Sorry. All one can say is that the Balamer inferiority complex knows no bounds................

Posted by: poguesmahone | June 29, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

You are welcome for the link Dan. Can't wait for the trasient DC fan to smash us over our hatred for the Deadskins and Tagliabue but don't use this clown as an example of what all us Balmer fans are like. Although we do agree with him on his Skins hate.

Posted by: bukaki23 | June 29, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

>>>If you want to reach out to Baltimore, you must accept that we hate the Redskins. It makes our stomach turn. Paul Tagliabue tried to keep the NFL out of our town and force us to watch the Redskins play the Phoenix Cardinals on a Sunday afternoon when we could have been watching the Green Bay Packers play the San Francisco 49ers.<<<

Art Modell, who chaired the expansion committee, was equally as responsible for keeping Balamer from getting an expansion team then. He wanted that market and the sweetheart corporat welfare stadium deal for himself. But that doesn't fit with making DC the boogyman all the time, so they blame Taglibue and Cooke..........

Posted by: poguesmahone | June 29, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with poguesmahone here. The inferiority complex is overwhelming. This moron is all up in arms over something that no one outside Baltimore cares about.

They're called 'Baltimorons' for a reason, guys.

Posted by: brian71490 | June 29, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Also, why are Baltimore fans reading the DC Sports Bog? Get your own site. We leave you alone, you do the same.

Posted by: brian71490 | June 29, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

The next fan I meet who roots for both the Redskins AND Ravens will be the first.

"The fact is, no one in the District of Columbia will care or be offended by this commercial one bit."

This is true. To be fair, though, the great majority of Washingtonians don't care about Baltimore at all, not just that commercial.

I would hardly say that Nationals fans' outrage over Angelos has subsided. (That said, there are a great many Oriole/National dual fans. Who I hate.)

Posted by: yatesc1 | June 29, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I was raised on Ripken. The guy's my freaking hero. And Baltimore has better bars than DC.

But if you are a 'die hard' Ravens fan you are a fucgjhtgdking joke, period.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | June 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

They don't call them Baltimorons for nothing.

Posted by: CAC2 | June 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Untrue. Tagliabue and Cooke made it clear to all the owners that the Skins were building a stadium 30 miles from Bal which would put 3 teams in a 120 mile radius. Tagliabue then told Balmer to go build a museum which is the main reason he's the "boogeyman" here. Modell cast 1 self interest vote he didn't campaign to keep the expansion team out the way Crooke and Tagliabue did. Thanks to that duo the league now has a dying franchise in Jacksonville and a garbage expansion team in Cle thanks to Tags and Crooke's stupidity.

Posted by: bukaki23 | June 29, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The Ravens and their fans just love to claim they're being disrespected. Chumps.

Posted by: RoachVA141 | June 29, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Skins fan that loves the Ravens. If it wasn't for my ability to get free tickets in Baltimore whenever I wanted, I wouldn't be able to go see the stars of the AFC go out and kick some butt as regularly as I get to. It was awesome watching Peyton Manning beat the Ravens last year. I'm eagerly awaiting watching Matt Schaub do the same in '11.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | June 29, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone see the irony about this guy and his joke of a rant. Doesn't MASN control the Nats TV right? Yes.

This guys a clown. And for the guy who's B!#ching about Cooke and Tagliabue, GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

Posted by: JDB1 | June 29, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Balamer stinks. Way to go Riggo.

Posted by: ridgely1 | June 29, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I just want to point out that the guys at WNST do not represent all, or even most, Baltimore sports fans.

Posted by: neal_s | June 29, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

OH yeah, those die hard, blue colloar Baltimore fans are true sports teams.
That's why the O's draw record crowds each and every night, through thick and thin...

Please, this guy is a tool who clearly doesn't see the big picture and makes outlandish statements based on no facts or critical thinking the rest of the world is capable of. There is a reason this clown is in Baltimore and there is a reason he'll never leave.

Posted by: mtorioles | June 29, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"I've certainly never met anyone from Northern Virginia who roots for the Ravens."

[hand up] Here's one. I'm a Pennsylvania transplant, Eagles fan, who has never been able to cheer for the Redskins, but the Ravens are my AFC team. I own a purple #12 jersey that I cut the "Testaverde" name plate off of.

Posted by: CarlosdelVaca | June 29, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

That hasn't been stinging or original since before the last time the Redskins won the Super Bowl. What's it been, almost 20 years now, including 11 years under Danny Boy? It hurts as much as someone calling the DC hockey team the "Craps". Find some new material, lamers. Dropping "Baltimorons" ranks you with the Philly and Pittsburgh losers who think they're original with their 30-year old smack.

And for the record, I've been a Ravens fan since day one, but I'm not a Redskins hater... I actually became a fan of theirs when that skunk Irsay packed up and left in the middle of the night, and still root for the Redskins as long as they aren't playing the Ravens, so here's your #1, yatesc1.

Unlike some of you narrow-minded toolbags, and as hard as it is to comprehend, there's actually people in Baltimore who like DC and their sports teams.

Posted by: TheStein71 | June 29, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I guess I'm the exception to your rule Dan. I'm a Ravens fan living in Burke, VA. I had been a Colts fan growing up in Southern Maryland, and when they left I followed the Redskins. I was a fan of the Stallions when they were in Baltimore, and instantly became a Ravens fan when the Browns moved to Baltimore (I'm also an O's fan, though my wife, who grew up in Baltimore is now a Nats fan).

I'm not too bothered by the commercial, but do wonder why these two teams don't have more of a rivalry, and why Fox 5 insists on showing Eagles games when they can show a Ravens game instead. I also wonder why these two teams don't have more of a rivalry. They play each other pretty much every year in the pre-season, and play every four years in the interconference scheduling. Perhaps it's just as much of the Redskins' superiority complex as it is of a Baltimore inferiority complex.

Posted by: Russtinator | June 29, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Carlos, there is no "my AFC team" or "my NFC team." Please pick one and stick with them....unless it's the Eagles - in which case you should light yourself on fire.

Posted by: fushezzi | June 29, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Man, there are some know nothing blowhards on this board. For anyone who would like the truth about Modell's role in keeping Balamer from getting an expansion team so he could keep the market for himself, read "Glory for Sale: fans, dollars and the new NFL", by Jon Morgan. Among other things, he reveals that Modell had been discussing a possible move of the Browns with Baltimore officials since the year after the Colts left and that he actively manuevered to kill the Baltimore expansion bid while publicly professing support (including voting against the Baltimore bid by his good buddy Lerner). He also makes clear that Taglibue had decided to back Jacksonville BEFORE the meeting with Jack Kent Cooke that the Balamer crowd so loves to whine about. But never let the facts get in the way of the Baltimore inferiority complex, right?

Posted by: poguesmahone | June 29, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RoachVA141 | June 29, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Bmore hates DC and wants DC to feel the same about them. But really, most people in DC don't really care about Bmore at all. I think it would make things more exciting if DC did hate Bmore but most people think of them the same way they think of Cleveland or Detriot. Makes me feel kinda sad for Bmore and Glenn Clark.

Posted by: arlingtonJAM | June 29, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

They should have shot it in RFK.

At least he didn't blame JKC for keeping the NFL out of Baltimore. I have heard that from Baltimore fans, but never seen anything suggesting it were true.

Sadly, most Nats fans seem to be over the Angelos hating DC thing. I've been beating the drum of Angelos hate for years and nobody cares.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | June 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

It's already been said and will be said again. But, this is text-book inferiority complex. Pride in you're home team is one thing, but all out "rage"? REALLY? RAGE? I was born and raised in the MD DC burbs and grew up on O's baseball. But now that DC has a team and thinks it can relate itself to the orginal Senator team (which it can't. they're just the Expos), I'm not changing my allegiance or tossing Molotov cocktails at the Nats or their fans. Bmore native fans are just like Philly native fans; if it's not from within their bubbles, IT'S CRAP!! Waaah! Hey Raven's fans, your team is just the garbage that Cleveland threw out.

Posted by: SkinsFanInEagleLand | June 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

This guy is a clown. I agree if I were a Raven's fan I wouldn't like it. But as a Redskin fan I hate it!! Riggo got in trouble w/Snyder and I am sure that is why the spot got filmed in Baltimore. I was sick to see the AngelO's sweep the Nat's. He kept baseball out a lot longer than Cooke kept the NFL out. At least Cooke won championships, Angelos ruined a proud organization, who now gets his stadium invaded by Red Sox, Yankees & Nationals fans, while paying the Nationals way above market price to televise their games.

Posted by: dph60 | June 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"Who's the one with the inferiority complex... the narrow-minded writer [that I've never heard of] Steins is talking about, or all these clowns responding... calling Ravens fans a joke, or throwing around the incredibly original slam "Baltimorons"?"

________________________________________

Obviously you are. WHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Posted by: JDB1 | June 29, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

hey, at least they gave us 'The Wire'... ;)

Posted by: 3tripleiii | June 29, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"As far as Fox showing Eagles games instead of Ravens games, it's because the AFC games are shonw on CBS."

Posted by: Russtinator | June 29, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"Except when NFC teams visit M&T Bank Stadium on Sunday afternoons. Don't talk about something you obviously don't know about. Ravens games on December 13 against the Lions and December 20 against the Bears were NOT shown on Fox 5 in favor of Eagles games. Not only that, but WUSA showed an Eagles game one week last season (@ OaklandI think on October 18 instead) when they did not have the doubleheader and didn't want to show the Ravens game against a 1 o'clock Redskins game, which turned out to be the incredible Ravens/Vikings shootout. WUSA only showed the last 3 minutes or so of the game."

___________________________________________

They're not shown because Skins fans want to watch a team within their OWN division. Don't like it, move to Baltimore

Posted by: JDB1 | June 29, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad Riggio and MASN filmed it in Bmore just to piss Glen and the rest of the ravens fans off more. I'm a skins fan and I totally hate the Ravens, more than the cowboys these days. I cheer for the Cravens to fail every year so we don't have to hear how great they are when they make it to the playoffs. If your a true Skins fan you should never be cheering for the Ravens period. Pick 1 team and stick with it even if that team happens to wear purple. Go Skins.

Posted by: benirby | June 29, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

________________________________________

Further maybe YOU should know what you're talking about. October 18th the skins played the chiefs at home @1pm and the vikings were at home against the Ravens, bothe were cbs 1pm games. Are you suggesting the DC markets should have shown the Ravens instead of the Skins? BWAHAHAHAHA, THATS CLOWNISH.

Posted by: JDB1 | June 29, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I just like the fact that an employee of Peter Angelos filming a commercial at Ravens' Stadium (or whatever bank it is now) is somehow the fault of DC. That's just some masterful self-denial there.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | June 29, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, yeah, I've never met another Redskins fan that liked the Ravens. Maybe indifferent, but never a fan. Balamor is an awful place full of jorts and CZs.

Posted by: Andymr | June 29, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

This is like East Coast/West Coast for white people

Posted by: Scoonie97 | June 29, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

only one person mentioned the real issue... That Danny Boy and Riggo don't get along! And, the Redskins partner with CSN Washington not MASN. Therefore, no Riggins at FedEx!

Posted by: tidalwave1 | June 29, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"Not only that, but WUSA showed an Eagles game one week last season (@ OaklandI think on October 18 instead) when they did not have the doubleheader and didn't want to show the Ravens game against a 1 o'clock Redskins game, which turned out to be the incredible Ravens/Vikings shootout"

__________________________________________

Even further, this is impossible. A) the game would have had to have started at 10 am west coast time and B) this would have been a fox game. When an NFC team goes on the road is broadcast by fox and vice versa for the the AFC and CBS.

Posted by: JDB1 | June 29, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

So I wonder if this topic will get any comments...

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | June 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

The Senators fans hated the Orioles and their fans, but after the Senators left town, the D.C. metro area grew much larger and more culturally interesting while Baltimore stagnated. The result is that no one I know in D.C. or Northern Virginia thinks of Balitmore sports much at all except to sometimes feel pity for the Os since Angelos ruined them. The city that should be D.C.'s rival is Philadelphia, which is bigger, has nasty fans, and has football and baseball teams in the D.C. teams' divisions.

Posted by: post5 | June 29, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"The city that should be D.C.'s rival is Philadelphia, which is bigger, has nasty fans, and has football and baseball teams in the D.C. teams' divisions."

_______________________________________

Oh it is, we hate Philly.

Posted by: JDB1 | June 29, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, DC doesn't really care much about Baltimore sports. The Ravens are comical, going to games is hilarious, and Camden Yards is the best stadium in Baseball. All their owners are finks in Baltimore, but as long as DC has Snyder, it's not like DC fans can claim much better.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | June 29, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope Riggo peed on the logo at midfield when he was done filming.

I've been a 'Skins fan since I was born in '72, and I don't know one single 'Skins fan who likes the Ravens. The ad pissed me off, too, until I read all this crap, and now it just makes me happy.

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 29, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"This is like East Coast/West Coast for white people"

I think this is the comment of the year, folks.

Posted by: brian71490 | June 29, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

It's the Washington superiority complex that knows no bounds.

Posted by: sncho8402 | June 29, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Also, re: Nationals fans' hatred of Peter Angelos, I ask: the Nationals have fans? Sure, people come to watch Stephen Strasburg and a team that is now somewhat worth rooting for. But the Nationals do not have fans like the Orioles have fans, who have endured Peter Angelos and a worthless team for a dozen years but still treat Opening Day like a national holiday."

_________________________________________

Ah the inferiority has no bounds. keep up the good work loser. We even have hot dogs and half smokes at the games. I think the fan base being small, yet growing may have something to do with 33 years without a team. But thats beyond your comprehension

Posted by: JDB1 | June 29, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kungpow9960 | June 29, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"One thing I've learned living in Baltimore City is that Baltimore sports fans love to bear a cross. The DC inferiority complex runs deep in the city, which is why Baltimoreans take such pride in the Ravens and the "blue collar" character of the city and why they take offense so quickly to perceived slights against the Ravens. The whole idea of having a "I Hate the Redskins" show once a year is all the evidence you need. I'm fairly sure there's no "I Hate the Ravens" show in DC. "I Hate the Cowgirls" yes, sure. Ravens? Not really. Face it Baltimore, DC is just not that into you."

_________________________________________

And we have a winner.

Posted by: JDB1 | June 29, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, those die hard Baltimorons are so rabid, so passionate, so die hard about their sports that they continue to sell out their tax payer funded baseball stadium game-in and game-out every year.

I mean, it isn't as if a plane once crashed into a stadium during one of their sporting events and only the pilot, nobody on the ground, got hurt by the incident...

The real reason why that commericial was filmed in Bhawlmuher? Because M&T Bank Stadium is right next door to the MASN offices and studios in Cramden Yards.

Finally, if Bhawlmuher was such a great sports town, why do they need radio affliates in Washington, DC but DC teams don't need them in Bhawlmuher? Why were the Ratbirds four years ago looking to have the NFL declare Washington and Bhawlmuher duel markets which would give Bhawlmuher access to the D.C. TV Market? Of course the Redskins were uninterested in the Bhawlmuher Market which is why Cooke never bothered to oppose NFL expansion in that podunk redneck hick town. He didn't need the territory. He only got involved once he was tired of being given the run-around about building a stadium for his team.

Posted by: CapsNut | June 29, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Remember when the colts couldnt sell out memorial stadium and the owner of Giant Food had to buy the remaining 5,000 seats to give to charity so real football fans in DC could see the game and not have it blacked out. Those were good times.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 29, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Also "Homicide: Life on the Street." Good times.

I'm pretty much an all baseball, all the time type, but if I watch the pointy ball game, I watch the DC team.

Re. Angelos: I am so not over it. I never adopted the O's after we moved to Virginia years ago, and I've rooted for the Nats ever since they came to town. I dislike Angelos due to his efforts to keep a team out of DC.

---

hey, at least they gave us 'The Wire'... ;)

Posted by: 3tripleiii | June 29, 2010 11:32 AM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 29, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

++++

first of all, those seats are "owned" by Maryland taxpayers, many of them skins fans just as fedex is. and how would this guy know how hard these "folks" are working in order to have those seats. i bet there are a few slackers in the crowd or guys who were just given their seats. and i'm pretty sure the guys in the luxury suites and down low at M&T stadium are just your average blue collar joe's who carry lunch buckets and sit in $400 seats. yeah, spare me the '50's Diner nostalgia.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | June 29, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Russtinator, CBS shows AFC games. Yeah if an AFC team is playing an NFC sometimes they'll show it on Fox, sometimes CBS. But the Ravens are almost always on CBS. So you can decry that I don't know what I talk about all you want, but they show AFC games on CBS.

And even if they didn't, nobody wants to watch the Ravens because nobody but the dregs in Baltimore care about the Ravens.

Posted by: RoachVA141 | June 29, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Russtinator | June 29, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Stallions. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. I forgot about that gay team.

Posted by: edr04 | June 29, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Russtinator | June 29, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Stallions. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. I forgot about that gay team.

Posted by: edr04 | June 29, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Dear Baltimorons,

You will always be second fiddle to D.C., so just grow up and accept it. And why do you care one bit about what stadium a commercial is shot in? Seriously, they shot the entire movie "The Replacements" in Baltimore, even though the team was from DC! Enjoy the added income the commercial brought you, now go back inside and wax poetic about the old days when sports mattered in "Charm" city.

Posted by: fredskinz44 | June 29, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

WNST is Towson's radio station. This guy knows nothing.

Baltimore Fans do hate the skins, and for what reason I cant fathom. I did not care about the ravens one way or another, but from living up here around Bmore, and getting into it with annoying Ravens fans, I do hate them now. A close #2 behind cowboys.

They say its Cooke and keeping a team out of there. mahone stomped that out with his comment earlier. They also hate Irsay but love modell.

Despite the middle of the night factor, Modell is Irsay 20 years later.

Hypocrisy at its highest. Purple team = stupid. Purple camo = more stupid. 'Move them chains' sounder for first downs = incredibly stupid.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | June 29, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Just call them the cleveland ravens or the baltimore browns and they shut up pretty quickly...

Posted by: Zeebs1 | June 29, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Real Balmer fans would never root for the Ravens. They are Colts fans. It is higly amusing that this Ravens idiot does not mention how they stole this team from Cleveland. Long live the Irsay's!

Posted by: mjwies11 | June 29, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore has a football team?

Posted by: The_Spear | June 29, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Baltimoreans don't root for the Orioles either, apparently. For all the talk of them not being transient, I see the Red Sox and Yankees take over Camden Yards 10 times a year and a hell of a lot of Steeler fans in the Baltimore area. As I always tell Ravens fans who give me grief, we really don't care about you guys enough to hate you. Holler at me when you when 3 Super Bowls, thanks.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | June 29, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

As a diehard skins fan from silver spring who goes to UMD, I care about the ravens only in that my friends from baltimore care about them, and that seeing them succeed in no way harms the redskins playoff chances.

Posted by: AndrewR1 | June 29, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Note to the so-called "exceptions" living in Northern VA. If you begin your post by explaining you grew up elsewhere, then you are not FROM Northern VA, you just live there.

Its true the D.C. area has a lot more transplants from other places than Baltimore does, and they don't necessarily root for the D.C. teams but this is not an indictment of the passion of D.C. fans, its simply an illustration of the fact that D.C. is a desireable city to move to and Baltimore is not.

Posted by: themattstapiece | June 29, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore is full of people with fragile egos and inferiority complexes. I've been to Baltimore and after visiting.....I understand why.

Posted by: chamlin | June 29, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

This is all over a commercial? WOW!! Get over it guy. So what that Riggo did a commercial at M & T bank Stadium. IT'S CALL A PROMO!!!

Glenn Clark take a deep breath and relax. you have a football team and baseball team. Congrats b-more (BTW I'm an O's fan (i know shut it people))

Posted by: Bigmon411 | June 29, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Glenn is being an idiot and seems to have forgotten that the Redskins are only a factor for the Ravens once every four years. The real priority and rivalry is with the Steelers since they're in the same division as the Ravens and therefore are a factor every year!

Posted by: theblackdog | June 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

What are we talking about again?

Posted by: BrownBagIt | June 29, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RoachVA141 | June 29, 2010 1:20 PM

Well I want to watch the Ravens along with a lot of people I know that live in PG, Anne Arundel, Howard, and Montgomery Counties in Maryland that don't get the Baltimore stations.

It is true that the Ravens are usually on CBS, save for the two times a year they play in NFC stadiums. The Redskins are usually on Fox unless they're in an AFC stadium. However, sometimes when the Ravens and Redskins are both playing at 1 o'clock, and CBS does not have double-header rights for that week, they choose to show a 4 o'clock game in lieu of showing the Ravens. It's frustrating as a fan, becuase often these decisions are not made until the day before the game, so if I check my DVR it will say the Ravens game is scheduled, but instead they'll show an infomercial at 1 and show a game at 4. The Redskins don't have the same problem on the Baltimore networks---Fox 45 will almost always show the Redskins if the can, even though their OTA broadcast area includes suburbs of Phily. The Baltimore and Washington stations overlap, so it should be in the best interests of networks in both cities to show both teams.

Posted by: Russtinator | June 29, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"I do stand corrected on the Vikings game, and I do recall now that what got me upset that day was that CBS took a long time to switch to the game even though the Redskins game was over."

I'm completely with you on this. I'm actually a Steelers fan, so I have to watch a lot of games on CBS. I can't stand it how when the Steelers have the 4 pm game, CBS insists on, one the 1 pm game ends, quickly switching to the end of another 1 pm game if there's time. There've been a more than a few instances where because of that, they don't cut over to the 4 pm game until a few minutes into it.

I also can't stand how bad an announcer Phil Simms is.

Posted by: RoachVA141 | June 29, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

What is a "Baltimore"? Never heard of it / them.

Posted by: mhillson | June 29, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I HATE THE RAVENS!!! Hows that for a transient fan D-BAG!!! My hatrid was solidified when the Skins played the Ravens after ST21 passed. At that game there were the 21 towels handed out and Raven fans were caught wiping their mouths after eating a hotdog with the towel. So dont call out DC fans for a thing and look at your own fans. Have fun wearing purple!!

Posted by: erleach | June 29, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: erleach | June 29, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

i'm a diehard nationals fan now who was born an Orioles, but who hates Angelos for keeping baseball out of my city. i'm a diehard redskins fan that hates the ravens. i'm also a born and raised northern virginian that thinks its outrageous anyone from here would dare root for the ravens.

Posted by: destewar | June 29, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how anybody could be a Raven's fan, particularly a Baltimorian who experienced the pain of having a franchise stolen from the city. You would have to be unapologetic hypocrite to root for the Ravens.

The Raven's existence has hurt the quality of NFL on DC tv. Because the Baltimore is considered a secondary market of DC, the DC tv networks are forced to air Raven games on specific occasions (the rules are too numerous to list). Considering that most DC fans don't care about the Ravens, that is a pretty painful rule. Hypothetically, Indianapolis could be playing New England, but the DC market would be forced watch Baltimore play the Jags.

Historically, the Ravens have had a great defense and pitiful offense, which usually makes for boring football.

Posted by: niceshoes1 | June 29, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

As per which network televises which (daytime) games: Fox gets NFC games, CBS gets AFC games, and inter-conference games depend on which conference the visiting team is in.

NFC @ NFC - Fox
AFC @ AFC - CBS
NFC @ AFC - Fox
AFC @ NFC - CBS

Posted by: tckols | June 29, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Of all the things to accuse Redskins fans of being, "transient" isn't the first thing that comes to mind. I live in DC but went to school in Baltimore. My Redskins friends will talk about the team, win, lose or draw. My Ravens friends only talk about the Ravens when they're playing well; during that 5-11 season a couple years back, you wouldn't have known there was an NFL team in Baltimore.

Me? I'm a Redskins fan, but the Ravens are my AFC team. Not sure why people try to turn Redskins-Ravens into a rivalry when they only play once every four years or so...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | June 29, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore is nice. They have a nice aquarium...and, um, other stuff, too, I think.

Topeka is nice, too...and Poughkeepsie.

And that Diner movie was great. Go Colts!

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | June 30, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

I personaly don't care about the ravens, they don't exist for me. don't get me wrong I don't hate the ravens.

I know ravens fans who love to see the redskins loose and loose their sleep on us, I just don't get it? redskins fans don't even think about the ravens.

I'm under the impression that they feel certain jeulosy because we are the next local team and don't want the attention on the skins.

I don't loose my sleep on the ravens, if they win, well good for them and their fans, just the way we have high hopes with our redskins they have that right, but as a redskins fan I don't hate the ravens.

Posted by: slvtruco21 | June 30, 2010 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Enough already--it was filmed in Baltimore is because MASN IS A MARYLAND COMPANY HEAD QUARTERD INBALTIMORE AND at least 85% of their programing is Oriole/Ravens focused. This idiot radio guy should wake up and face reality i.e. IF YOU ARE A BALTIMORE OR ENVIRONS COMPANY WHY IN THE HELL SHOULD MASN BRING ALL THE PRODUCTION STAFF TO FEDEX FIELD FOR A 30 SECOND SPOT. MASN is selling a product--Riggins--what is the BIG DEAL. I have to sayscrew Baltimre--the Oriols--the Ravens-- Tom Davis and all other Baltimore sports broadcasters EXCEPT PHIL WOOD---A REAL PRO!!!!

Posted by: vergens2 | June 30, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse