Casserly: "Haynesworth is on strike"

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Many Redskins fans have reacted to Albert Haynesworth's 11th hour request to be traded not with relief -- let's finally get this 300-pound walking controversy away from our team -- but with the desire for revenge -- let's keep this guy on the roster and make him suffer.

That's what the hosts of 106.7 The Fan's Overtime were thinking on Tuesday night, and so they called up Charley Casserly to try to find some hope. The former Redskins GM and current NFL analyst gave them some relief: Casserly said that if he were in charge of the Redskins, there's no chance he would cave to Haynesworth's request, and instead would go to every length not to set a precedent of caving to disgruntlement.

"I've been in that situation, and I would say that 9 times out of 10 - and I can't remember the 1 out of 10 - it's hey, we paid you $31 million, you're part of the team, we're gonna fine you," Casserly said, while admitting that any fines are "inconsequential" to a guy as rich as Haynesworth.

"And if you don't show up to camp, we're gonna keep fining you," Casserly continued. "We're gonna exercise every right we have under the CBA. Shanahan's been clear, about I expect you to come in in shape. The way I interpret that is that if you're not in shape, and if you're not gonna work hard, if you're not gonna do what you're told here, we can fine you, and we can eventually suspend you for lack of effort.

"In other words, I would be sitting there and I would make sure that I understood all of our rights, how far we could go with this thing if I was the Redskins. I'd also say to Mr. Haynesworth and his agent, you want to be traded, we'll take a check for $31 million, and then we'll have a discussion about trading you. I think the time for them to be traded is before the $20 million check was written here in the spring. I would say if he wanted to be traded, he should have gone in there and said all right, hold that $20 million check, I'd like to be traded.

"I think there's nobody who's gonna pay this guy $20 million. So any market out there will take this guy only at his contract, not give him a big signing bonus or guarantees. From my discussions with the Redskins, they were emphatic and clear to me, they were not gonna trade him. And if I was in their position, I wouldn't trade him. I'm not setting a precedent in the first year I'm running the team. Even though I didn't sign this guy, and probably wouldn't have signed him to the contract he had, the line is drawn. We're going on without you....

"I think they've prepared themselves as best they can to play without him. Having been over there, it's clear to me that they're not sitting around waiting for this guy to show up as a savior. They've moved on with the team. And if this guy comes in and plays, they'll plug him in and play him, and if he doesn't, they're not gonna miss a beat mentally and emotionally."

Casserly was then asked if Haynesworth's ploy has crushed his own trade value, making it even harder for the Redskins to make a move.

"Well, I think this is planned and orchestrated," Casserly said. "I can't prove it, but I have my hunch. I think Haynesworth's on strike. And the way you try to get a trade is you don't show up, say you're not gonna play there. If you're writing the book, this is the book.

"Now he hasn't pulled the trump card yet. But there's no question in my mind that Haynesworth and his agent are talking to other teams. And maybe they've got a team to pull the trigger here. I mean, that's the way these things work. Is that right or ethical? No, but does it go on? Sure it goes on.

"So going back to your question, I'm sure that there would be some teams out there - maybe only one team - but I'm sure there's somebody out there who doesn't care what Haynesworth says publicly. They'll take him. But they probably want two things: they're not gonna pay a high draft choice and they're not gonna pay this guy's way out of the Redskins with a substantial signing bonus to Haynesworth that Haynesworth repays then to the Redskins.

"The trump card I've always thought is this: ripping the fans is a partial trump card, but when you rip the owner, a lot of times that gets you traded. And I've seen that happen. Now, he hasn't done that yet. Some owners, they understand the drill, they just let it roll off them. Other owners, they react with a knee-jerk, and they'll run right in to the general manager and say get that son of a gun out of here.

"Now, I don't know how Dan Snyder would react in that situation. If I was the owner, I'd understand it's a drill, he can say anything he wants about me. All I would do is call up the GM and say you know what, don't even think twice about this guy, we're not trading him."

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 16, 2010; 10:58 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How we'll remember Haynesworth
Next: Leonsis reachs out to Wizard fans and alumns

Comments

I had this exact thought last night. I thought I was probably being crazy. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | June 16, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

my thoughts exactly.

if you want to be traded, pay back the $20m roster bonus. if not, show up and play. if you don't show up and play, get suspended w/o pay.

i can see this leading to some more "conditions" put on roster bonuses in future contracts (if the CBA allows). if a player does not show up for mandatory team activities, and particularly training camp, there should be some recourse to recover a roster bonus.

Posted by: sec231 | June 16, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Casserly makes a lot of sense!

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | June 16, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I think Shanahan should really make an example out of this fat slob. I gave him the benefit of doubt when he didn't show for voluntary work (after all they are voluntary). But to demand just becos the defense might be changed is just contemptuous. I say don't trade him, don't include him in the game plan and certainly don't cut him. If he wants to take the money and run, apply the Jim Zorn treatment to him: humiliate him as much as possible. As long as he's going to cash Dan's check, the Redskins own him.

Posted by: tundey | June 16, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Haynesworth-less cares about anything now that he has his money. I would have spent it a little more wisely than invest in an expensive cigarette boat, but to each his own there. I'm more interested in making Snyder squeal with pain, so if this accomplishes this, then I'm happy. It's Snyder's fault for giving Fat Albert this contract to begin with. I think the fans need to look at Snyder instead of Haynesworth. All he did was steal Snyder's money. It's Snyders fault for parting with it foolishly in order to buy a championship again.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | June 16, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Casserly. The Shannahan/Allen teams has to show who is running things - now. Resign themselves to having made a poor investment and let the fat slob sit at home running up fines or sit on the bench absorbing crowd noise and abuse. He hasn't conducted himself with the least but of honor.

Play a 3-4? So what? For what they are paying him, he ought to be willing to shovel sh*t every other Wednesday at a pig farm in Loudoun County.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | June 16, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

This is where Goodell could show some balls and tell the NFLPA that this is unacceptable.

The Redskins should be able to void his contract and get their money back since he hasn't earned anything this year. I hope he takes the career path of Sean Gilbert and really never plays again.

I am really growing tired of these primma donnas and long for the day when they earned an extraordinary wage for playing a game as well as playing for the love of the game.

Posted by: BushH8er | June 16, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I would shovel sh*t everyday, not just every other Wed for 12 mill, 21 mill or 32 million. The disconnect between todays superstar athletes and the fans grows wider and weirder every season. Maybe washing oil off of seabirds in the 100 degree 100% humidity in the Gulf would wake these overpaid greedy fatsos up.

Posted by: reindeerterp | June 16, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Dont reward bad behavior, make him play for the money he has already. Someone needs to show this guy the way.

Posted by: ged0386 | June 16, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I'd do:

1. Fine him. The maximum amount.
2. Suspend him without pay until he shows.
3. Pursue legal/arbitration options to recoup portions of the signing bonus from him.
4. Offer to trade him if he gives back the $20 million bonus he accepted in April.

Posted by: TheSecretWeapon | June 16, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Miss you, Charley

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | June 16, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

IIRC the last time didn't Snyder threaten to buy Coles a flat screen so he could watch all the games from his couch?

Posted by: koalatek | June 16, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Give Haynesworth the hard-nosed business. Keep him on the team and make him utterly miserable. Don't trade this ego-centric loser. Boy did Tennessee know what they were doing, and they set the Skins up....

Posted by: bharn | June 16, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't trade his fat a.. either. What an absolute scumbag! To take that much money from someone and not honor the contracts shows a lack of everuthing holy. I would make his wide ass sit on the bench if he didn't want to play and do as all of the other posters say and fine him each time he sits on his wide duff. Big A, overindulgent lard butt! Who the hell wrote this contract to begin with??

Posted by: ivyleague | June 16, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The team should move on and Fat Albert should perpetually languish in perdition. We should all just forget Fat Albert, all except for Mr. Allen and The Danny's phalanx of lawyers. They should slowly, systematically, unemotionally and maliciously take from Mr. Haynesworth the only real things an athelete has: reputation, time and whatever money they can get... one drop at a time. NEVER trade him. NEVER speak to him. NEVER answer his agent's calls. Speak only to his lawyers so it costs him real money. Publicly ignore him then privately fine him, suspend him, keep him off the field, drag out his contract, legally tie him up like Gulliver, grind up his money/youth/reputation in court. Let others who would emulate him see what he is and despair. Let him wake up years from now in poverty and obscurity to realize what he is now and condemned to be...... a lazy, wasted talent.

Posted by: NOVASportsSentinel | June 16, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Haynesworth's agent has made it basically impossible for him to waive/return the bonus. The agent probably wants his cut and gave AH (no relation!) advice that wasn't in AH's best interest.

Posted by: ah___ | June 16, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

As long as we're being hard (justifiably) on Haynesworth, let's also remember the morons who negotiated this contract and put the Redskins in a situation where they've paid a huge of money and have little leverage (except for the fantasy of somehow getting back their bonus payment). If ever there was an example of Dan Snyder's and Vinny Cerrato's incompetence, this is it! Let's just hope Dan keeps his hands off the tiller and allows his new GM and Coach to steer the ship.

Posted by: jacobson98 | June 16, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I truly hope that this is Mr. Snyder's last big (FAT)blunder.

Posted by: Badwisky | June 16, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Bill Billichick on Charlie Casserly's credibility:

"Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist," Belichick said.

"He has no relationship to this team. I'd say less than zero. Based on what? He's never at a practice, never at a game," Belichick said before getting into a discussion of sports media practices in general.

Posted by: rlomax67 | June 16, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

CC - You're the man. Way to go. I agree completely.

I read one quote from Dan Snyder that he regretted firing CC.

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | June 16, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse