Darnell Dockett on the Redskins and Portis

Cardinals Pro Bowl defensive lineman Darnell Dockett is from Montgomery County and played his high school ball at Paint Branch. He frequently visits the D.C. area in the offseason, and does various appearances in this area. And he recently asked his Twitter followers what they'd think about him playing for the Redskins.

So it was a natural question when Dockett appeared on 106.7 The Fan's LaVar and Dukes Show on Thursday: would you ever want to play for your hometown team? Dockett's answer, to me, came out of nowhere. It was harsh.

"For me to ever come to Washington, man, I have a lot of respect for the fans," he said. "This is one of the biggest cities with the most fans that are just dedicated for that team. But there's a lot of things I don't like, there's a lot of things they do that I couldn't accept as being a leader. You know, I've never seen an organization that would go out and lose on Sunday and throw a party Sunday night after a loss and party all week. Like, I couldn't adapt to that, and I think that's one of the reasons that I couldn't be a part of an organization, of how they carry their organization.

"I'm not gonna disrespect Washington, I don't have anything bad to say. But it's just certain things that I'm used to. I'm used to my guys, if we lose, we come back in town after a loss, we don't even want to go to the gas station, we don't want to show our face nowhere, because winning means that much to us. And I think a lot of guys on that team, winning don't mean anything. I think partying and getting paid is a big part of a lot of guys on that team.

"Yeah, I could see me playing [there], but there would have to be a lot of things changing, because I'm a winner. I don't feel the need to play football and not want to win on Sundays, and I think winning comes with a perfect week of preparation, not being in the clubs, dedicating myself for 16-plus weeks of football. This is what you do, this is what you get paid millions of dollars to do, and that's what it's all about. It's not about partying every day of the week, celebrating one win. It's about piling up 9, 10 wins in a row, and winning a title, and getting a division, and getting into the playoffs. That's more important to me.

"So as far as me coming back home, yeah, I would love to come to Washington and play football when my contact's up next year, but a lot of things would have to change. And I'm sure Shanahan would do a great job in trying to turn that team around."

Huh. Well. That was interesting.

I'm not sure exactly who he was talking about, but one could reasonably suspect that Clinton Portis maybe was somewhere on the list of perceived problems, I guess. So Chad Dukes eventually asked Dockett his opinion on ol' No. 26. Remember, Portis accused Dockett of dirty play two seasons ago, in a game when Stephon Heyer was thrown out for retaliating against Dockett. Who knows if that was part of this, but Dockett is apparently not a fan.

"I couldn't play with him," Dockett said. "I don't got nothing bad to say, I won't say nothing bad on him. I couldn't play with a guy like that. From what I'm hearing in the locker room, me personally, I couldn't play with a guy like that. I've never played, since I've been in the NFL, with a guy that selfish, I've never played with guys where it was all about them, I've never played with guys that don't practice.

"We don't do things like that in Arizona. We've got guys come to practice, they play hurt, they play hard, and they give you everything they've got, week in and week, no matter what. I respect a guy like that, who goes in and gives you everything he got, even if he ain't got nothing, if he's got a sprained ankle, a bruised thumb, a swollen eye. We respect guys like that.

"So what I'm hearing from his locker room about certain guys on that team, they don't value the same things that other programs value. So as far as hm, I don't have nothing to say about him, but there are a few guys that I do respect on that team, and London Fletcher's definitely one of them. Shouts out to him, because that guy, he brings it. He plays every game, he's dedicated to winning, and the Washington Redskins did a great job of getting him there, and I hope that he's able to walk away from the game when he wants to walk away from the game, because he means that much to me."

Yowzers. Ok, anyhow, Sept. 2, final preseason game, Redskins at Cardinals. Maybe we can get Portis and Dockett on the field together for one series and they can work things out?

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 17, 2010; 7:13 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis said he wanted out of Washington
Next: Jeremy Jarmon's World Cup

Comments

"I don't got nothing bad to say.."

Sounds like he has lots of bad things to say about he Redskins.

Glad you're out in Arizona and get used to losing this year.

No Warner = no wins.

But I ain't got nothing bad to say about that. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 17, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I thought I would never live to see the day Cardinals were ripping the Redskins organization. That stings!

Posted by: dcfan5 | June 17, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

darnell should go back to doing what he does best: taking showers on Ustream

Posted by: shortman4 | June 17, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Seems like some people don't like the truth. I bleed burgundy and gold, yet think his comments are almost 100% correct.

Gotta agree with dcfan5, that really does sting seeing the CARDINALS ripping the Skins...

Posted by: letzgoterps | June 17, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

So so true...you can throw in people like Cooley (who i like as a player) but enuf w/his dopey brother. Carli "no hands" rodgers, d-hall, albert, moss...etc. just go away. i'd rather see them go 4-12 with out them than win and act like they've done something.

The environment appears to be changing, let's hope so...

Posted by: boricuabopper | June 17, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

He's just telling the truth and the truth shall set you..............................well you know.Clinton Portis is a cancer and that's why Shannahan traded his closet gay azz to DC where he has basically divided the locker room with his lazy i'll practice when i feel like it attitude which played right into Haynesworth's plan when he came on board i would have traded Portis for a good equipment manager,he cares only about himself and his stats that's it yes he plays hard when he plays but when he get's nicked that's it.Darnell Dockett told the truth about this current team with the exception of a few pro's it's embarrasing when an outsider get's it right.

Posted by: dargregmag | June 17, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Dockett is spot on about the Skins and Portis. Hopefully Clinton is not on the final roster.

And I agree with the previous posters, what is the world coming to when the Cardinals franchise is run better than the Skins?

Posted by: calhokie | June 18, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree with everything he said. This organization needs major changes, and we all (including Dockett, apparently) hope Shanahan brings them about. Professional athletes should be ashamed when they lose. I love what I'm hearing from him.

Posted by: brian71490 | June 18, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like Dockett is describing a professional organization when he's talking about his team. Something that Snyder doesn't know about running. He ran Six Flags into the ground, he's running Johnny Rockets and Dick Clark Productions into the ground. He just got lucky and cashed in at the right time and that is how he has gathered his substantial wealth. Will Shan-Allen change things around here? Offseason window dressing aside, I really don't know.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | June 18, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Yea I hope Dockett never steps foot in a Redskins Uniform. He's just like the guy whose show he was on yesterday. He talks of this winning stuff, during his career the Cardinals are 43-53...the Redskins 42-54, yea the Cardinals are the class of the football world. He goes to one superbowl and he knows everything. He just likes to run his mouth, just like Lavar. I couldn't believe how much Lavar was drooling over this guy because of his rant on the Skins and Portis.

"I don't have anything bad to say." And then say all bad things. I hope he never plays in the burgundy and gold.

Posted by: SkinsWizStangs | June 18, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

The way Darnell is talking, you'd think he was undefeated against the Redskins, rather than 0-3. Darnell, the organization you are trashing (maybe with good cause) has beat you every time you stepped on the field against it. What does that say about you and your sorry franchise? Try winning once, then talk. (P.S.: Portis had 4 TDs in those games against Dockett's team, so maybe instead of talking about him, Darnell should try tackling him).

Posted by: McMaynerberry | June 18, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't got nothin bad to say about Dockett either, other than the fact he could save his comments.

His team for years was one of the most disfunctional in the league, they've had a little success of late and suddenly he has a voice. Go away!!

Posted by: MHEDRLT | June 18, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Dude spoke the truth in a way that few in the burgundy and gold -- save perhaps Fletch and McNabb -- would ever dare or could ever muster.

AH92, CP26 and CR22 -- and all of the others who defend their childish, selfish, me-first misbebaviors -- are symptomatic of what's wrong with the Redskins.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 18, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Dude spoke the truth in a way that few in the burgundy and gold

Posted by: Vic1 | June 18, 2010 10:03 AM

I'm not getting how he could speak the truth if what he's spouting is secondhand knowledge. If he's was as dedicated to the game as he says, he would be in Arizona working out most of the time. How would he have first hand knowledge of what the in-season prep of the Skins is like, except from what other people told him? It's not the truth, it's a perception of the truth. Clearly, there are more than an occasional guy on the Skins that have similar or more character than Dockett. DO you think a guy like LBF would come to a culture such as what Dockett mentioned? I don't.

Posted by: TWISI | June 18, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

If what he's saying is the truth, there shouldn't be any debate over whether he's right for saying it or not. If this team is as lazy as Dockett says they are, I 100% support calling every single one of them out in the press. I just hope the Shanny regime is the catalyst to change the lazy entitled attitude in the locker room.

Posted by: jbanks979 | June 18, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I was unforutnate enough to listen to that interview live on JFK last night.

Thank you Dan for translating it for me because I could barely understand what Dockett was saying. Talk about mangling the english language...

Posted by: CapsNut | June 18, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

This fool is high on his high horse isn't he? He's talking like The Cardinals, whom haven't won a championship since 1947, is the pillar of what winning is supposed to be. Dude you lost your two best players on the team and whats the difference between Portis and Leinart? Idiot! Please stop telling people you're from Montgomery County, its embarrassing.

Posted by: clark202 | June 18, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I would never want to play with a player as dirty as Darnell Dockett. You don't get a reputation for being a dirty player in college and then have it follow you throughout your entire professional career if there isn't any truth in it. He was routinely accused of dirty tactics at the bottom of the pile on the field while he was at FSU, and those continue to this day.

I remember him getting in hot water after cameras caught him putting his arm into Matt Hasslebeck's throat AFTER a play last year. Or the time he injured Earnest Graham's leg by twisted it around. Or the time he stomped on Rex Grossman's hand. Or the time he stole all that merchandise down in FL and got charged with grand theft. Yeah, Darnell Dockett...real good guy.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 19, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse