Harper joins the No. 1 draft pick town

A while back, the wise LaVar Arrington asked me when was the last time that a single city had four No. 1 overall draft picks plying their trades at the same time. I didn't know.

Still don't. So instead, I came up with an easier question to answer. A few minutes after the Nats selected Bryce Harper with the first pick in the MLB amateur draft Monday night, I went back and looked at the past decade of No. 1 overall picks in Major League Baseball, the NFL, the NHL and the NBA. I looked at both the teams that made the picks, and the teams that currently own the rights to those players. I gave credit to Washington (NBA) and Edmonton (NHL) for the upcoming drafts in their sports, and then added everything up.

D.C. wins. We're No. 1.

(And when you read the names of Matt Bush, JaMarcus Russell, David Carr and Greg Oden, you don't feel quite as bad about Kwame Brown after all. Eighty percent is a fine percentage.)

By city that made the picks

Washington (5)
Tampa Bay (4)
Houston (3)
Pittsburgh (3)
Atlanta (2)
Chicago (2)
St. Louis (2)
San Diego (2)

By city that currently owns the picked players

Tampa Bay (4)
Washington (4)*
Chicago (2)
Detroit (2)
Houston (2)
Kansas City (2)
Minneapolis (2)
New York (2)
Pittsburgh (2)
St. Louis (2)
San Francisco (2)

* Counting John Wall.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 7, 2010; 11:08 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dunn on Strasburg: "This dude's not like everyone else"
Next: Bryce Harper's war paint

Comments

When was the last time you posted something relevant about DC sports? Dude, you're a flipping joke at this point, no?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 7, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Amen DadRyan! The fact that DC's baseball team has made two consecutive #1 overall picks, its basketball team is about to make the #1 overall pick and its hockey team has arguably the most popular/famous hockey player in the world (himself a #1 overall pick!) indeed renders a post about #1 overall draft picks irrelevant.

And that, friends, is irony.

Posted by: jgperras | June 7, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

And that, friends, is irony.

Posted by: jgperras | June 7, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I liked my comment so much I posted it twice!

Posted by: jgperras | June 7, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan has left me pondering the meaning of existence. I mean, I thought this post was about DC sports, but he has left me unsure. And if this post isn't about DC sports, then what else can it be? Is it about something larger than mere sport? Somewhere deep inside this message, can I find enlightenment?

Posted by: empsg59 | June 8, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Let me be a statistics nerd and tell you that your data skews the picks towards cities that have teams in all major US sports. DC is one of the few that has an NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL team. Of all the cities you posted, only Chicago, DC, Detroit, Atlanta and New York have the chance to be 4x crappy every year.

Posted by: daniel635 | June 8, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

and Boston and Miami and Dallas and Phoenix and Denver and Philadelphia don't count, because....um, why?

Posted by: caps_fan_in_santa_monica | June 8, 2010 2:11 AM | Report abuse

And the second biggest game in Nationals' franchise history is rewarded with a showing on MASN2!

The Nats need to find a way to get Angelo's hands out of their TV deal. This is embarassing.

Posted by: patrickswright | June 8, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: patrickswright | June 8, 2010 8:07 AM

And the MLB Network, nationally. Everyone in our area gets MASN2, no HD for FIOS people, but that's a Verizon issue. I don't see the big deal with it being on MASN2.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 8, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: patrickswright | June 8, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

We could burn down the city of baltimore...
or
Someone from DC could try and buy the O's suçktastic franchise and give the Nats back their TV rights. Other than that I don't see much happening.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 8, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

One way to look at the Kwame pick, if we'd have picked Gasol or someone else instead, we wouldn't be getting Wall now ..

Posted by: boblas | June 8, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

It wouldn't be so bad that the Nats are so often on MASN2 if Verizon would carry it in HD. They stand with only Dish as the only major cable or satellite providers who have not yet added MASN2HD to their channel lineup.

Comcast has it. Cox has it. DirecTV has it. Nearly all God's chillun have it except those of us who opted for the supposedly superior bandwidth, and therefore channel selection, offered by Verizon.

It is unforgivable. If I were not under service contract I would dump them today for DirecTV (it is hard even to consider the despicable Comcast).

Posted by: FergusonFoont | June 8, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I like to pretend we drafted Caron Bulter with the Kwame Brown pick, and he just took a reaaaallly long time to develop.

Posted by: nationalcoholic | June 8, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

SERIOUSLY? You have to start the submission with "The wise Lavar Arrington"? C'mon man. please. You still drink the Lavar Cool Aid evidently. Give me a break already.

Posted by: steven5 | June 8, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Considering how miserable the DC sports teams have been over the last 5 years, we deserve some good fortune. If sports karma were a unit of currency, this town would have huge karma surplus. It is time to spend some of those karma bucks.

Posted by: niceshoes1 | June 8, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, but all of those picks are recent except Ovechkin and have not had the opportunity to contribute.

Strasburg's career starts tonight. Harper is 17 and won't be in the majors for 2-3 years.

John Wall, the likely Wizards pick, hasn't even been selected yet.

So, yes Washington has recently had some good luck in the draft after some misfortune on the field that in past years didn't yield the #1 pick.

But the full effect of those #1 picks has not been felt yet by the teams in the area.

Posted by: leopard09 | June 8, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Having 5 #1's is nothing to be proud of, it just states how bad the sports has been in this town for a long time.

Posted by: RichC3 | June 8, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I know you didn't include MLS but if you did you could add Freddy Adu to that list.

Posted by: CHICO13 | June 8, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Before we get all over the Nationals - consider the luck they have had in the draft. 2008: Drafted and failed to sign Aaron Crow (in AA for Kansas City) turns into 2009's Drew Storen, who is in the majors already. Were terrible in '08 so they got #1 - Strasburg. They were a "respectable" last (1 game back on Pittsburgh) in '09 which means they got #1 for Harper. I love the Storen move, instead of an attitude in Crow. Sometimes you just have to laugh when you get the #1 - and be glad you were bad enough to pull it off (rather than be #2 and get the second pick).

Posted by: ajr32 | June 8, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

does Comcast actually have MASN2 in HD? I can't find it on my tv (Arlington)...

Posted by: Section406 | June 8, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@caps_fan_in_santa_monica

because those cities, while they do have 4 teams, have yet to join in the suckfest that is multiple #1 picks.

Posted by: didnik | June 8, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse