Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell discuss Strasburg

Well, this is getting fairly absurd. Strasburg's debut was discussed on the Senate floor Wednesday morning by two of the most powerful men in America. You can watch it above; here's the dialog between Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Incidentally, among the others I passed in the concourse on Tuesday night were George Will, David Gregory and Charles Krauthammer. And, um, Charlie Casserly.

Reid: I watched on television last night much of the performance of this 21-year old phenom Stephen Strasburg....Twenty-one years old. He carried himself so well. Seven innings, he struck out 14 Major League baseball players. He did very, very well.

McConnell: I would say to my good friend from Nevada, I was there, and had a chance to see Strasburg. And as remarkable as the 14 strikeouts my friend referred to, is the fact that he didn't walk anybody. What a remarkable athlete. And we can only hope and pray that his arm holds up, and that he has the kind of career that everyone is anticipating. There was literally electricity in the air. It was an exciting event, and it was great to be there.

Reid: Really, for Washington -- which has been so starved for a good athletic team of some kind -- it was nice.

Gregory has also blogged about the game, writing that he "can only try to express how thrilling and dazzling it was to be there last night."

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 9, 2010; 3:25 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsay Czarniak eats a Strasburger
Next: Best in Strasburg fashion

Comments

I say you set up a betting pool: How long before Strasburg signs with the Yankees.

Posted by: somethingorother | June 9, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The Nats can retain him for 6 years.

Posted by: tylerdurden1 | June 9, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

See, that's why I'm not big on debuts and opening day and all those hoopla-heavy events. Yeah, yeah, you're both men of the people. Hard-core fans, the both of you. Get to every Nats game that you can, and have since day one. Riiight. I'm duly impressed. (Not.) :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, Reid is so clueless. Now I know the Caps had a disappointing end of the season, but I do think they qualify as "a good athletic team of some kind." Good thing Reid will lose in November.

Posted by: poguesmahone | June 9, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Question: What is the context of this conversation? Why are they discussing this in this location?

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | June 9, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | June 9, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I think this was the meeting to try and figure out how to stop the oil spill. The GOP suggested using footballs, Reid was suggesting throwing baseballs down there.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse