Jim Bowden on John Wall

Made it through the entire Memorial Day weekend without hearing one expert, teammate, ex-teammate, pastry chef or former neighbor say anything about Albert Haynesworth.

Did not make it through without hearing Jim Bowden ask John Wall about the John Wall shot, a concoction named in honor of the future Wizards point guard.

"Look, you haven't even played one game in the NBA yet, and there's already a John Wall shot," Bowden told Wall during a Fox Sports Radio interview. "Are you aware of this?"

"Yes sir, I heard about it in Kentucky," Wall said.

"All right, well what is in a John Wall shot, so our listeners on this Memorial weekend can party with you?" Bowden asked, while wondering why he never thought of a Lastings Milledge or Steven Shell shot.

"Uh, I don't know," Wall said. "You know, I'm too young to drink or anything, I haven't made it to a bar, so I don't know what's in my drink."

Fortunately for curious listeners, after the interview ended, Bowden -- with some prompting -- filled in the details.

"Here it is, it's a mix of blue raspberry vodka, sour mix, and Sprite," Bowden told his rapt audience. "That's official. The John Wall shot: blue raspberry vodka, sour mix and Sprite. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend."

In case you're curious, Bowden believes the Wizards have to draft Wall, and that the point guard will help Gilbert Arenas's game.

"I mean, Evan Turner's gonna go two, but there's no question, when you get a chance to get a player like John Wall, they don't come around very often," Bowden said. "He's a real treat to watch, a very special player, and certainly point guards like that don't come around [very often]. We're watching Rondo, we've seen Chris Paul, we've seen Deron Williams, we see what kind of impact they have on the floor. And for the Wizards, certainly a major step forward in revitalizing that organization with new ownership....

"And I think Gilbert Arenas is going to actually do better at the 2 at this point in his career. And I think Wall can set him up and really probably improve his game at the 2. I don't think there's any question, when you're trying to rebuild, you've got to take the best player. Evan Turner may fit better, short term, but hat's not what you do in the draft. You look at the board, you take the best player and you draft him, and that's what the Wizards are going to do with John Wall."

Oh, and Bowden also asked Wall what sort of music was required to perform the John Wall Dance.

"It's any kind," Wall said, "any kind of dance music you can play to get into your groove."

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 1, 2010; 9:27 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eric Fehr the actor
Next: Arenas chats with Leonsis at Vasquez workout

Comments

I see you made it back from Berryville, VA.
How was the trip? You daughter needs a good herding dog. Most herding breeds make excellent babysitters expecially rough or smooth collies. The "Lassie" thing is real.
Except Timmy never fell down the well and Jeff was obnoxious.

Thanks for coming out.

Posted by: sheepherder | June 1, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Nice comment from Wall about drinking:

Of course I don't believe him. But good answer to a potentially tricky question nonetheless.

Posted by: tundey | June 1, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skabizza | June 1, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Nice comment from Wall about drinking:

Posted by: tundey | June 1, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Why don't you believe him? From all accounts the kid is as straight edge as they come. DJ Strawberry didn't drink either during his time at MD. It's not unheard of.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 1, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"Why do you keep supporting this chump (Bowden)? The Bog gives him more publicity than anybody else. "

Bowden (I'm assuming this is about the former Nats GM) actually has a show on XM radio in the afternoons. He's actually pretty entertaining, informative and frank...even though I'd say his predictions about players are wrong about 20% of the time.

Posted by: MikeP1 | June 1, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Bowden is a joke and should never be allowed to work in baseball again. Glad his sorry show is not on free radio.

Posted by: Toochilled | June 1, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

No matter what this guy has been preparing to be in the NBA for awhile. Not a bad thing at all. Would be a bit strange for a rookie to be one of the more mature players on a team, but what the heck...

Posted by: jjhare | June 1, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Obama doing the John Wall Dance to his own music. Check it out at http://thegymbrats.blogspot.com NJoy!

Posted by: gymbrats9 | June 4, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse