Joe Gibbs on Haynesworth

(By Ricky Carioti - TWP)

I'm realizing the Haynesworth thing is sort of like that Wimbledon match. It will never end. The only time it ends is after each of this world's 7 billion humans has commented on Albert Haynesworth's contractual decisions, but even then, a few thousand people would likely be born before I can hit publish on the 7 billionth entry, and then I'd have to go to all the maternity wards to ask the newest little souls about their exact level of outrage.

Joe Gibbs stepped up and added his name to the ledger on Tuesday, though his comments were fairly muted and reasonable. Seems he's not really following the saga, and he wasn't even sure on the financial details and timeline. Didn't realize there was anyone left in that category. Regardless, since this is my duty, here's what Gibbs said when Holden Kushner asked him about Haynesworth on 106.7's Mike Wise Show.

"First of all I'll say to you as a coach, every year that we went into the season, there were some problems," he said. "Generally it's one to two to three players, either contractual problems or we had injury situations, but a lot of contractual problems like this, and so it's not anything new. In the NFL, you just have to deal with it.

"You would hope that the players and the agent would be realistic, and if you pay him a lot of money you would hope that they would be there and be a part of the team, but I will say this is nothing new, this is nothing different. And it is part of the NFL. And as far as what I can tell, Mike and Bruce and everybody there have had a very, very good offseason. The guys have all been there, [or] most of them have been there. This is just a real tough issue, and they're gonna have to deal with it, but it's nothing that's unusual in the NFL."

No, he didn't suggest that Haynesworth ought to become a core Redskin and possibly fight his guts out, and/or trim his guts off. You couldn't get much more out of him, since he repeatedly said he didn't know the details of this situation, but finally he did add this.

"If he took a lot of money, you would hope that his reaction would be, 'Hey, I took a lot of money from the Redskins, I made a contractual deal, I made an agreement, and I'm gonna be there and do my part,' " Gibbs said. "Now, certainly as a Redskin fan, I would sure hope that he would be there. I mean, he if took a bunch of money - and I don't know that he did that - but if he did, then I think certainly a person that makes a contractual obligation to somebody has an agreement. Hey, it's their word. They made a deal. They made a contract. Live up to it."

(First transcribed at Hogs Haven.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 24, 2010; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin and John Wall's dueling commercials
Next: Boudreau: "Alex is the most valuable player"

Comments

Oh Cheeseboy, you really think that anyone outside of metropolitan DC really cares about this story, or has even the vaguest notion of who Albert Haynesworth is? You'll find that most of the 7 billion that you think are desperate to comment are too busy following the real football on display at the world cup.

Posted by: jamesmcbride | June 24, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jamesmcbride | June 24, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"real football"? uh, have a good flight back home, James.

Posted by: 23lil | June 24, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I don't think james mcbride knows what sarcasm is. Dan Steinberg was being FACETIOUS. f-a-c-e-t-i-o-u-s, fuh-see-shus.
Have a nice day mr. mcbride <====sarcasm

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 24, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

HAYNESWORTH CHARTERS CHARITABLE FOUNDATION

ASHBURN, VA -- Washington Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, in an apparent effort to rehabilitate his ever-worsening image with other players and fans, has decided to start his own charitable foundation.

Hayneworth's new non-profit organization, "G-Notes for G-Strings," will reportedly provide $1,000 grants to be used in lieu of maternity benefits and "Lap Dance Lamaze" classes for strippers who are forced to take time off from their profession to have the illegitimate children of NFL “Players.”

Haynesworth is also reportedly teaming with a few other NFL stars -- including Pittsburgh Steeler quarterback Ben Roethesberger and former New York Giant defensive lineman Lawrence Taylor -- to develop and present "Cain't Touch Dat," a new educational program based on a popular 1970s era song performed by MC Hammer that is aimed at teaching high school athletes how to avoid prosecution for rape, sexual assault, domestic abuse, paternity claims, loan defaults, and other high profile crimes and offenses.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 24, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, this is a new sort of column, isn't it? Not only does he get his eleven inches quoting someone else, but in this case it's a cut and paste of those eleven inches written up at Hogs Haven? And didn't Steins say he'd purchased a house?

This is the sort of job we all dream about.

Posted by: WorstSeat | June 24, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan, please inch over a little closer to Gibbs in hopes some of his greatness will fall your way. Yeah, I know you have trophies, but we really need you to chalk up a few more.

Joe, you're looking good. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Posted by: Keliza64 | June 24, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse