June 8 Nats ticket prices zooming on secondary market

With tickets for June 8 still unavailable on the Nats' Web site, the secondary market is where all the action is. And the action is beginning to percolate, though we're still a week away from Stephen Strasburg's debut.

As I type this, StubHub is listing 3,207 tickets for the June 8 game -- about 7.6 percent of the total inventory for the Nats' 41,888-seat venue. When I first checked Tuesday morning, there were only around 2,500 listed tickets, meaning more than 700 additional tickets were dumped online in just a few hours.

The cheapest listed seats will run you about $60, and as of this morning the average price fans were paying was $74, according to a StubHub spokesman. This includes fans who purchased tickets for as little as $9 several months ago; at the top range, Presidential Seats have gone for as much as $500 thus far.

The average price for an average Nats game this season has been about $50 on StubHub, so this game is already running about 48 percent higher than normal, though that number isn't comparing identical seats. There also doesn't seem to be much uniformity of pricing. For example, seats in the right-field mezzanine -- which I believe would typically cost $30 for a game like this -- are running anywhere from $65 to the low triple-digits, with the majority in the $75-$90 range.

Some especially adventuresome types have listed seats for as much as $2,000, but none of those have sold. The game has already passed the once-rumored June 4 date for StubHub sales, and is now second for the season in Nats Park total dollar volume, behind only the opener.

And, of course, the date has only been official for about 18 hours as I type.

Meanwhile, the Nats sent e-mails to season ticket holders giving them the chance to buy extras for Strasburg's debut. A whole bunch of things have been said about the Nats ticket office in recent days, but it's hard to think of anything less than 100 percent positive to say about this move.

There's a four-ticket maximum for the offer, which begins Wednesday at 10 a.m. and continues through Thursday at 11:59 p.m.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 1, 2010; 1:12 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jon Jansen writes about being released
Next: Ron Weber gets the call from the Hall

Comments

I have been informed that my Red Carpet Rewards Request for June 8 Diamond Club ticket (8 points) has been granted. My regular plan covers the 9th. Still I am curious why I should be left out in the cold, if I had not heeded FJB. Are you going to investigate why the 8th is not on the "Board?" I cannot believe the stadium is sold out yet.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | June 1, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Flex plans are still available online. Buy tix for June 8, pick two other great games (Mets, Phils, Cubs, etc.), and you get another game free. Not a bad deal...

Posted by: HeShootsHeScores | June 1, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

look for the secondary market for these tickets to drop as game time approaches. too many folks looking to get greedy right not. after a big surge of folks buying tix in the past day or so, the market will be long tix and prices will drop. seen it a million times.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | June 1, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

So, although tickets seemed to be sold out late last night (per your Bog item), more tickets are available now for season ticket holders and people belonging to something called the Red Carpets Reward Program? So are tickets sold out or not?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 1, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Dan.
The Blogfather dropped the hammer on you this morning and promised that you would have all the ticket poop (meant to be taken both ways) on you chat tomorrow morning's chat. Are you up to it?

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | June 1, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@Dougmacintyre--The Red Carpet Rewards program is part of the season ticket holder benefits. Another benefit is the ability to exchange tickets for future games for other future games. Say one of the tickets in your plan is for June 20th and you know that you will be out of town then. You can exchange (at lest 5 business days in advance) your ticket for the June 10th game. For both of these reasons, the Nationals hold back some tickets to be able to fulfill these requests. You can say that it is bad policy but remember that Season Ticket Holders (and yes, I am one) have renewed year after year (the RCR was only for renewing plans), even after two straight 100+ loss seasons.

What makes me really upset is all the folks trying to sell their tickets. You don't want to see the game? Fine, don't buy tickets. When there are chunks of 12 seats together on StubHub, you know that it is the brokers and scalpers. If we don't get seats in tomorrow's sale (our plan includes June 9th), then I may watch the prices as it gets closer. I can wait to see Strasburg, but if the ticket prices go back to normal then I might wade into StubHub.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | June 1, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@Dougmacintyre I never said the game was sold out. I said there were no tickets available through the team's Web site. Very different things. Obviously the Nats were holding back a decent number of June 4 tickets, and obviously they did so again this time. There's no law that MLB teams must make every ticket available to fans on a single-game basis through their web sites.

@adhardwick I saw what Barry did there. Exactly what question do you want answered? Not promising anything, just curious.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | June 1, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

a little rhyme, in honor of the impending debut:

Gonna sink em like an iceberg,
Maybe A BryceBurg

A 1-2 punch, I gotta hunch
But no free lunch,
Ya gotta pay Boras
For the Steve Stras
And then the Bryce man
To fit the Lerner plan

But that’s ok man
When the Hamma smackem
And the Z-man yakem
And the Dunnkey jack em
Ya get the butts to pack em
maybe some Dibbs wise crackin

About a W, of the curly kind
meeting of the Stan and Rizz minds
about the new number one and two
the slayer middle of the Nats groove
throw a sign and watch the bats move
cuttin only air, tryin to prove
but it’s too bad because they gonna lose.

Posted by: DCguy7 | June 1, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Sillyness

Posted by: LouLewis | June 1, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Here's the deal. There are plenty of tickets left but the Nats are trying to get fans to buy a multi-game package deals that includes Stras first start. These aren't selling so well and come the end of the week they will start releasing those sections. Thank me on Friday.

Posted by: RockingBurgundy | June 1, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@Dan

Will more tickets become available after Midnight Thursday as Rocking Burgundy assumes? If not why not? In general, what are the NATS plans for handling dthe 8th?

Posted by: adhardwick | June 1, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Why are you assuming Dan knows? I know for a FACT what's happening and the Friday date was a guess, it could even be earlier by Thursday. TRUST ME when I say that there are PLENTY of tickets still available once they can't sell the "stras" 4 game package. Go ahead and ask the people who "assumed" Strasburgs first start would be on the 4th.

Posted by: RockingBurgundy | June 1, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to free enterprise. One secondary marketer has been able to get over 7% of the available tickets. Did they get a discount or pay the premium price?

A team that finished at the bottom of the league the past two years has the nerve to actually charge a surcharge (called premium price) for games against good teams. Who pays $325 for a seat at a Nationals game? Answer, corporations who can write the cost off. That's why you see so many empty seats behind the plate.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | June 1, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

This is really strange to me. I expected the tix to go quickly but I was able to buy two tix by the left field pole this morning with no problem using their New Era plan.

Posted by: hkeith21 | June 1, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Meal plans can help you eat a balanced diabetes diet, keeping your blood sugar under control. use this free meal planner http://bit.ly/daDZ9s

Posted by: scoutbono | June 2, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse