Kornheiser: Gilbert will be "poisonous" for Wall

The disconnect between the media speculation on Gilbert Arenas's future and Ted Leonsis's public comments about the same continues to widen. Remember earlier this week, when I noted that you can now buy Gilbert Arenas jerseys from the NBA Store Web site for the first time since he was suspended? Leonsis linked to my blog from his blog, and wrote this:

Trying to meet all of my commitments. All in the course of time. I try to say what I mean and mean what I say. Click here. Buy one today.

So this is the owner of the team, telling fans to buy Arenas jerseys. If you're planning on shipping the guy out of town within the next few months, that's a pretty cheeky move, publicly urging fans to buy the guy's jersey.

And yet many media members remain convinced that he's as good as gone already, including some who haven't yet reported this. Here's the compilation of tweets from ESPN's Ric Bucher on draft night:

Those wondering how Wall/Hinrich/Arenas fit, don't. Arenas will be elsewhere by Oct. Hinrich was great supporting Derrick Rose, will be here, too. There have been all sorts of supposedly unmovable contracts -- all of which have been moved. There's no such thing [as an unmovable contract]. And just for clarification: that's opinion on Arenas being moved. I know there are interested teams, that's all. Will say more when able.

And here's some Gil-related dialog from ESPN's "free agent summit" thing this week. Bill Simmons was talking about a "Plan B" for the Knicks featuring Amar'e Stoudemire and Joe Johnson, when this happened.

Simmons: Plan B is terrible for them, but plan F is worse: Gilbert Arenas.

Tony Kornheiser: See, I've got a horse in that race, because now I no longer live in New York, I live in Washington D.C, and Gilbert Arenas will be poisonous for John Wall. So the Wizards must push him somewhere.

Simmons: They have to trade him.

Wilbon: New York.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 30, 2010; 2:14 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb's SportsCenter interview
Next: John Wall picks No. 2

Comments

You were one of 5 people who don't work for TK that watched the Summit.

Posted by: rdpinva | June 30, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"There's no such thing [as an unmovable contract]."

100% agree. I realized this a few years back when Shaq was making 30 mil and he was traded. If he could be traded with that contract, anyone can.

"All I know is that if Gilbert Arenas is elsewhere in October, I will absolutely remind Leonsis that he urged fans to buy Gilbert jerseys."

Dan, I know I gave you a hard time back when Gil was suspended about his jersey and all but if he does get traded I hope you lay it on Ted about that. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 30, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The extent of Tony Kornheiser's Washington basketball opinion... "Gilbert Arenas is poison"

Thanks for chiming in.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 30, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

If Ted tells people to buy the jersey now, but is then able to trade Arenas later, you don't think true Wiz fans will thank him?

Posted by: minorthread | June 30, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Clean out the rat cages, rdpinva, and carry the urine specimens upstairs.

Posted by: Tony-Tony-Tony | June 30, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Gil can be NO MORE poisonous than the local media, specifically the 980 crew.

Posted by: cmann083@yahoo.com | June 30, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't work for TK and I watched. It was cool and for the most part pretty good (although it ran out of gas a little at the end). I like all four of those personalities and they played well off of one another and you had some different perspectives.

Also, while TK may not know a lot about the game of football on the field, he does know hoops.

Posted by: gkronenberg | June 30, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

steinberg the arenas lover, back in true form

Posted by: slim4 | June 30, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the jerzees, just be done with it.

Posted by: Eman8 | June 30, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't feel sorry for any fan that wastes his money buying an Arenas jersey at this point, regardless of whether or not he's on the roster this fall. I would pay $70 to see him traded.

Posted by: TheMichael | June 30, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

How come Stoudemire is not getting any buzz...everyone is talking about Joe Johnson, Bosh, as the top brass. Zards can use Stoudemire.

Posted by: washdc11 | June 30, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

That summit would have been much better with a moderator. Four strong-willed guys trying to talk over each other made for a painful viewing experience. And TK was the turd in that club sandwich.

All the Arenas-is-poison talk presumes Wall is weak in the head (Andray) or heart (Kwame), and Gil will cast some magical knucklehead spell over him. He just doesn't strike me as that.

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | June 30, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Can someone who tosses around these commments about "Gil is poisonous" and "Gil is a cancer" please articulate what you're getting at? Do you suspect that Gil will get Wall addicted to heroin? Do you think Gil is going to sneak over Wall's in the middle of the night and break his kneecaps? Do you think Gil is going to constantly whisper in Wall's ear that he should not practice, mouth off to the coaches, and get fat and lazy, and that eventually Wall will listen? What exact damage will Gil's poison/cancer bring? What makes me laugh most of all (and when I say "laugh" I mean get totally annoyed about) is people who say "Keep Gil as far away from Wall as possible" as if Wall is going to "catch" whatever disease people think Gil has. Here's hoping Gil sticks a deuce in TK's shoes, while TK is wearing them.

Posted by: Urnesto | June 30, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I like Dan Steinberg - he's funny and perceptive. However, I cannot believe he works for the Post fulltime - his "Bog" copy and paste jobs must take about 10 minutes work a day.

Is he also a janitor in the Post offices? How does he fill an 8 hour day?

Posted by: nativedc | June 30, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I think the "Gil is a cancer" stuff comes from the idea that he is an attention hog and may not react well to Wall being the new face of the franchise and the guy who will have the ball in his hands the majority of the time. Does Gil seem like he's ready to become a second banana-type? Also, given his injury history there are good reasons to trade him if you can much in return and free up space to go after FAs in a year or two.

Posted by: gkronenberg | June 30, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser is no longer relevant, and if Gilbert succeeds we will remind TK how much of an idiot he is, although Wilbon will probably do that for us. I understand GA did a boneheaded thing, but to call him cancerous etc...is so over the top.

Posted by: CelticFCbhoys | June 30, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

ohhh and by the way, all Gilberts actions did is bring us the #1 pick and John Wall, just like the Jagr did with the CAPS and ultimately getting us Ovechkin...

Posted by: CelticFCbhoys | June 30, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Thats it Ted, pull a dan synder and sell jerseys until you can't. By the way mr internet, email, fan friendly owner After like 50 times tying to reach you over the years ...i am still waiting to hear from you why i was extorted by the caps in 1998 when i wanted to buy a cup finals ticket that was already marked up 600% but you made me buy a ten game package for the next season just for a chance to buy that 600% marked up finals ticket. I didn't live in dc area then or now but that didn't matter to you and ur sales manager, who at least confessed that you ass an organization was gouging while the gouging was good. as long as you could extort that 10 game (x2) from me, you didn't and don't care about fans unless they are your suckers......over-rated bloatwad is what you are to me and your teams haven't tasted, much less won...... squat!

Posted by: klangley69 | June 30, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Golly, NativeDC, I surely am not as productive as you are, since your job allows you to post 10 comments a day about how useless I am.

Look, here's a deal I'd propose. I think I average around 8 posts a day, plus one 600 word column for page 2 of sports. Whenever you feel like trying it, take a whirl. Send me the copy, and if it's good enough, I'll post it. It's really really easy, apparently, so it should only take you a minute or two, and you'll still have time to post comments on my other items telling me how lazy I am.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | June 30, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

klangley - Ted bought the team in 99.

Posted by: geotherm21 | June 30, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I've said all along, don't let that knucklehead Arenas anywhere near Wall! Arenas is a cancer and this team will never win as long as he is a part of it. The team needs a fresh start and so does he!

Posted by: slimjim21787 | June 30, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Arenas is a top five scorer with three years to let his knees heal. it only take about 18 month for the knee to heal and how many top five scorer are there in the NBA,James,Bryant, Anthony,Wade. that it and Gilbert is a player that can get his shoot anytime he wants, inside or outside. team will be a fool to trade him for if the had tradeed him to the Orlando they would have been next years NBA champion.

Posted by: lostdogrwd1011 | June 30, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is DC. Leaving an immature Wall here by himself without a superstar mentor would be a nightmare. Why not keep Arenas who has something to prove and has, hopefully, matured since the incident

Posted by: ryjufox3 | June 30, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Gil WAS a top-5 scorer. No reason to believe he'll regain that form.

He's been an absolute disaster for the Wizards. Anybody defending him is feeling sorry for an idiot. The sooner he's gone, the sooner he's gone.

Please say "I told you so" when he regains his form in NY.

I'll be waiting until I'm dead (or Gilbert's suspended again).

Posted by: bflorhodes | June 30, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

nativedc,
I think DS is really saying that he doesn't show up where you work and slap the dick out of your mouth. So, you know...

Posted by: mack1 | June 30, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Go away, Kornheiser.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | June 30, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I think the "Gil is a cancer" idea comes from the fact that Gil is perfectly willing to drop a deuce in the rookie's shoes.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | June 30, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert has a near max contract that is not expiring. If you are a team with the salary cap space this year to take on that contract why wouldn't you go after the guys on this list? http://www.scoresreport.com/2008/12/11/the-top-10-nba-free-agents-of-2010-2

Posted by: geotherm21 | June 30, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Flashback to pre-December 24, 2009. Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon were big fans of Gilbert Arenas. But that all changed when Gilbert decided to demonstrate his Second Amendment Rights in a stupid practical joke. Wilbon and Kornheiser have both made it clear they do not respect the Second Amendment--and thus, Gilbert Arenas has been in their dog house and everyone else's in the anti-Second Amendment crowd.

It's pathetic that guys like Wilbon and Kornheiser can't put their politics aside and look at things objectively. A federal judge didn't believe Gilbert's crime was worthy of any jail time--but because of David Stern's suspension, he still lost 8 figures because of the incident.

Objectively, it will be great for John Wall to have a veteran former All Star show him the ropes in this league and guide him on how to play the point guard position at this level. But objectivity isn't something a lot of biased sports columnists subscribe to these days.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 30, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Ummmm, duh. Leonsis' brothel like barker language in his blog was clearly tongue in cheek. He isn't selling jerseys per se. He is righting the perceived wrong which saw Arenas jersey removed from the store. Thats the biggest problem with sarcasm and the new media. It can easily be misunderstood, misconstrued, and misinterpreted by dummies like all of you.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | June 30, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Now I know it will be bad for the Wiz to get rid of Arenas. When has Tony Kornheiser EVER been right?

the Washington media will try to run a player out of town over j-walking tickets. Hopefully, Leonsis won't fall for it and pannick like Abe did with Chris Webber.

Keep arenas, let him show he can ball and get a star caliber talent for him if you do trade him. no off season stuff just as a money swap.

Posted by: oknow1 | June 30, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

He will stay, they will play great together and all you bloggers will pretend you never made these negative comments as soon as both of them have a big game together. Remember, TK and the rest of those guys get paid to run their mouths about sports and more times than not they are wrong. Look at how wrong they were during the NBA playoffs, The cavs were the best team, then the Magic, then the celtics and finally the lakers prove that they were. One week Lebron was the best, then Kobe once lebron lost. They change their opinions on sports daily based on what happens that day. These guys are just as fickle as bloggers but they just get paid for it.

Posted by: ged0386 | June 30, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

folks let me hip you to something, IF JOHN WALL IS HALF THE PLAYER EVERYONE THINKS HE IS, GILBERT ARENAS DOESN'T MEAN SHT TO HIM!

IF JOHN WALL IS THE BALLER WE ALL EXPECT HE IS GOING TO DO HIS THING WITH OR WITHOUT ARENAS AND WILL JUST WANT TO WIN! TO PORTRAY WALL AS SOME WEAK MINDED KID IS RIDICULOUS.

ARENAS GOT AWAY WITH ALL THAT CRAP NOT BECAUSE OF PLAYERS BUT THE WIZ MGMT AND COACHES. IF THE PLAYERS ADOPTED ANY BAD HABITS IT WAS BECAUSE THEY SAW MGMT LET ARENAS GET AWAY WITH ALL THAT BULL! MGMT NEVER NIPPED IT IN THE BUD, AND THE MONSTER OF ARENAS GOT WORSE UNTIL THE ULTIMATE STUPIDITY OF PLAYING WITH GUNS.

Posted by: oknow1 | June 30, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about anyone else but Leonsis doesn't live in my brain, from that I mean, if he tells me I should do something I won’t take it as a command and just blindly do it. Of course he is going to back his players and maybe he truly feels that with a new atmosphere Gil will be excited again and want to excel so he doesn't want to trade him. If he does end up trading or dumping Gil though why should he be blamed for someone else buying an Arenas jersey at this point and time? If someone invests their money into a jersey and it is an Arenas jersey then they have to live with that decision since there is obviously still a good chance he could be gone in a few months. Would you blame the gun maker for Gilbert bringing a gun to the arena?

Posted by: D84doc | June 30, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

It's probably been over 6 months till most people have actually spoken to Gilbert. Yet here we are judging his mental state.

It is pretty sad.

Actions speak louder than words.

Posted by: dcinmd1 | June 30, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I love TK. But, in many cases, he is an idiot. This is just one of them.

Posted by: MDterpfan | June 30, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that Gil is going to be a different man. I sincerely believe that the possibility of jail scared the hell out of him. He was immature and childish, not a criminal!

Posted by: oakiedokie | June 30, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

EG PLEASE!!! Dont be stupid enough to trade Gilbert. He will play with a boulder on his should and that can mean nothing but good things for the Wiz. Don't forget that he is still one of the best. Check this out!!:

Posted by: sirmixx01 | June 30, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Tony Kornheiser is the equivalent of a crochety old dude like Mr. Wilson. "You kids get off my lawn" He is the last person who I would listen to. I would love to hear him say those words to Gil or to Gil's father to their faces. Ahole.

I truly wonder when people(media) are going to let this man get on with his life. Gilbert did some truly foolish things but he IS NOT, I repaeat,IS NOT, this hard bad ass dude that will poison John Wall. I feel bad for John Wall because it is only a matter of time before Kornheiser and his croonies annilate him too.

Posted by: ivyleague | June 30, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ivyleague | June 30, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

To Barno:

There are some of us which think the 2nd Amendment is absurd, but who still support Gilbert. His supporters aren't all NRA nuts and his detractors aren't all anti-gun.

Also, to bflorhodes who said: "Gil WAS a top-5 scorer. No reason to believe he'll regain that form."

Dude, he was #9 in scoring and #9 in assists in the entire NBA on the day of his suspension, despite missing 2 years and Caron self-destructing and a new offense, so I'd say he was pretty darn close.

To slimjim21787: You always say that but never explain yourself. Why is he a cancer? Why must Wall be "protected" from Gil?

And finally, to NativeDC: I think Dan told you to suck it. Of all the guys in the world, your issue is with HIM?

Posted by: Urnesto | June 30, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Gil will be gone. There are way too many teams competing in the LeBron and co sweepstakes for everyone to win. Even if two or three out of Cleveland/Miami/Chicago/New Jersey/New York wins, the loser will be desperate. If that's NY, Gil will definitely go there. If it's Miami or Chicago, Arenas is not out of the question. Cleveland won't take him, and NJ can just fall back on having a great, young 4-5 combo in Favors and Lopez to build on. But, as I posted earlier, the Magic could be suitors, in an attempt to match the talent escalation in the East. If the Clippers get that new owner and no FAs, maybe they give Gil a try. Maybe Utah loses Boozer, and wants to still complete, believing trading for a superstar is a necessity.

It will be a while before we know the answer, but when the FA dust settles, somebody is going to be looking for that last resort prom date.

Posted by: mcgratsp | June 30, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Go away, Kornheiser.

Posted by: dcperspective | June 30, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

From Ted's Blog titled "Consumer Warning — Big Heads Up":

"So, if you purchase a Gilbert Arenas jersey today and his number changes, I wanted to give you all fair warning. I think that is the honest and fair thing to do. So heads up ASAP. I apologize in advance if this number change causes any inconvenience. Thank you."

No mention of a trade, but maybe he read your post Dan...

Posted by: Mustachio | July 1, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

To Barno:

Posted by: Urnesto | June 30, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Of course not all of Gilbert's supporters are NRA "nuts" and of course all his detractors aren't all anti-gun. All I said was that Wilbon and Kornheiser both happened to be anti-2nd amendment and anti-Gilbert...and it's not a coincidence either.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 1, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser...who was...and still is kind of a favorite of mine...is a guy who seemingly since retiring (forced) from The Post has an agenda like most in the media and TK's agenda against Arenas goes back a few years when Tony was still a columnist that mattered. His comments are not a surprise to me.

Posted by: dccavalier | July 1, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

As far as I can tell, no one outside the Wizards has been allowed to talk to GA or see his physical conditioning. So, none of us has any idea whether we will get our wish: the old GA as a basketball player and a new GA as a team mate and leader. Leonis probably knows and is smartly playing his hand not to give anything away. I suspect there are (still) two scenarios: push GA to succeed here or trade him if you get a price you can't turn down. Jerseys don't have to be an issue: if he gets traded, then Leonis says "the unexpected happened" and offers a $50 merchandise credit for #9 GA jerseys. Not sure any owner has ever done this before, but Ted is more than smart enough to do the math. My high estimate: 10,000 jerseys times $50 is $500,000. It's chicken feed and doesn't count against the salary cap!

Posted by: StevenGrossman | July 4, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse