Kornheiser vs. Adu, again

When Freddy Adu signed with MLS as a 14-year old kid, no one took more delight in needling him in print than Tony Kornheiser. The joy evidently continues to this day for Kornheiser, who on Wednesday wished Adu a happy 21st birthday on PTI like so:

"Happy 21st birthday Freddy Adu. Once upon a time, Freddy Adu was the great new hope of United States soccer, signed to a huge MLS contract at age 14. Now his career is in ruins. He's Freddy A-done. He wasn't good enough to make the United States World Cup team, and new American star Jozy Altidore is actually younger than Adu."

Funny, and Kornheiser always struck me as the very embodiment of compassion and good humor. Anyhow, Adu -- who's in Maryland during his offseason -- now has an easier outlet to respond than he did as a 14-year old, so he took to Twitter.

didnt watch pti but i heard tony was being his usual self. Lol im brushing my shoulders off right now. wink wink

Wink wink? Oh, right. Wink wink. Let's go back to 2003, one of the first of many times Kornheiser would mention Adu in print. The columnist was writing about how Patrick Ramsey was guaranteed to start an upcoming Skins game.

(Okay, if he doesn't start, I'll look like a dope, and you'll be able to cut this out and send it to me, and tell me to eat it. But if I thought Ramsey wouldn't play, why would I write this column? I'd write about Freddy Adu and how he's going to make us all fall in love with soccer -- and how I know he's only 14, wink-wink, but I was pretty sure he once voted for George McGovern. So stay with me. Please. I get paid by the word.)

So unless I'm crazy, Adu just served Tony by referencing a passage from a seven-year old column. Adu wasn't done:

I wonder if tony kornheiser has seen any of my games the last 6 months. hmmm!!!!!!

He wrote, although he apparently later deleted that entry. Not sure why, since it was a whole lot nicer than some of the stuff Tony once wrote about Adu. Like:

Enjoy Freddy Adu now, in case the next bone scan comes through and we find out that he drove in the 1989 Indianapolis 500. Do you think Freddy Adu will eventually marry a Spice Girl, like David Beckham did? That would be so cool. But the Spice Girls are almost 40 now. So which one would he marry, Old Spice? Bada-boom.

Or

We have 14-year-old superstar Freddy Adu coming to our rescue. He's driving that 1991 Cadillac Eldorado he bought new, when he was, um, 2 years old.

Or

By the way I fear for Freddy Adu's safety during the cicada invasion. Adu may be just young enough and small enough that he could be carried off. Then where would MLS be?

So, more wink-wink, please, young Mr. Adu. And happy birthday.

(By the way, Michael Wilbon didn't let Kornheiser's gloating go unnoticed.

"Is that the sound of gloating, Tony, over a good kid not making it as big as some thought?" Wilbon asked.

"I like the kid," Kornheiser replied. "He's really smart. But he's not playing well.")

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 3, 2010; 6:44 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Rizzo on Bryce Harper the top pick
Next: Stan Kasten on the Strasburg "frenzy"

Comments

TK used to be funny. Now he justs comes off as a crotchety old man. Plus, he knows nothing about soccer, so he should just stick to topics he knows about. Has Freddy lived up tot he hype? No. But he has been playing and doing OK on his Greek squad and he is still only 21! As another show on ESPN would say, "Just shut up, Tony!"

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 3, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Kornheiser is an idiot who should be run over by bicycle riders. What a tool!

I hate when morons who know nothing about Freddy's background continue perpetuating the false age rumors. Dude came to the states when he was so young, soccer wasn't even on the radar.

Posted by: tundey | June 3, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm just surprised those years at the Heights school (where boys grow to become A-holes) didn't ruin his psyche. I guess he got out quick enough.

Posted by: trousers | June 3, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Dan - how are Kornheiser's ratings doing for the 980 show? I feel like his popularity has really sunk around here.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 3, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

you gotta reeeally hate kornheiser to back freddy adu of all people

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | June 3, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

nice one, cheese-boy.

I bet Tony brings it up on his show, but doesnt even mention the Bog. so, we'll see. wink wink

Posted by: Dasboot1 | June 3, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Dude, you are small time compared to Kornheiser. You run a little blog yet you insist on chomping at his pant leg like an angry Chihuahua. Get over it, you are a nobody, he is a mega star. BTW, your "Bog" USED to be funny, I guess the celebrity has gotten to you as well! hahahaha, dork.

Posted by: gcastle1 | June 3, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

All I remember is Korn insisting Freddy should start for DC as soon as he arrived, even when those of us who knew better argued otherwise. Now Korn's whining that Freddy was overrated? You can't have it both ways, old man.

The only thing dumber than a Kornheiser column is someone reproducing a Kornheiser column. Please don't do this again, ever.

Posted by: RIP-21 | June 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The entire exchange is pretty hilarious on multiple levels - Freddy tossing it back at Kornheiser, Kornheiser's stupid jokes, Kornheiser pretending like he knows something about when soccer careers are "over," etc.

I like TK and I like Freddy. I will continue to like them both.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | June 3, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"I like TK and I like Freddy. I will continue to like them both."
===
This is very calm and reasonable. What are you doing on the Internet?

Posted by: hubcap | June 3, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

You know, I've noticed that both TK and Wilbon have become very mean spirited in the past year or so -- not funny, just mean. It looks to me like Wilbon is dealing with some sort of personal issue that is making him unhappy and cranky. I am not sure what the deal is with TK – though to me it looks like he is just trying to be funny and it comes across as mean and unfunny.

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | June 3, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Freddy who?

Posted by: LouLewis | June 3, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

This kind of stuff is why I started tuning Kornheiser out years ago. His whole shtick was a lot better when he was local, when he got more famous, he just got louder, meaner, and less funny. What a d-bag.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 3, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

If I was 14 and someone was going to throw big money at me, I would definitely go along for the ride.

Also, unlike say Kwame (Jordan) Brown, Adu, much like Michelle Wie, didn't fall apart. Maybe those two should be dating.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | June 3, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I can't figure out the appeal of Kornheiser. He sucks.

Posted by: trezmartin | June 3, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Kornheiser remains a jerk. But, the fact is he's mostly right. Adu still seems to have the potential to be awesome, but there has to be a reason he's not in South Africa. He just needs to stop pretending anyone cares about his tweets and start tracking back on defense.

Posted by: hacksaw | June 3, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Kornheiser and Wilbon are terrible. They both suck.

Posted by: poguesmahone | June 3, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

An old, bitter, nonathletic grump who actually used to be interesting. He should go sit on his front porch and yell at kids to 'stay off my grass' with a blanket draped over his spindly legs (even though it's 90 freakin degrees out)

If YOU TK are out on YOUR bike tonite...swerve into 'the light'

Posted by: kahlua87 | June 3, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Tony Kornholer is a joke. I hate Freddy and I hate Tony so there. They both are washed up has beens. Kornholer should have been off the air a long time ago the best thing the post did was fire his no talent ass. I think we all know Freddy is a joke.

Posted by: efdelaney | June 3, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I agree with those who say Kornheiser (and Wilbon) are past their pull date. So who cares what either of them thinks about anything? The Sports Bog, on the other hand, is one of the very few must-reads for me several times a day. Dan, forget TK. He's beneath you.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | June 3, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

DC United should be the ones taking the heat -- they over hyped Freddy.

Andy who?

Posted by: dchooligan | June 3, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Only reason I wasn't a big Adu fan was because he should have played for Whitman...that's where international guys who are several years older than they claim to be play soccer.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 3, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Freddie Adu is 21. His career is just beginning. He will return to the US National team. Tony Kornheiser's career - although he's done well for himself - is the one that is on the downhill slope.

Posted by: AsstGM | June 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Tony. I will disagree when I hear one of Freddy's coaches defending him by saying something like "I just love the way Freddy listens to the instructions of the coaching staff and shows the fruits of that instruction on the pitch." Also, Freddy seems pretty much incapable of playing within a team concept - any team concept - and has pretty much been personally responsible for his own failure to progress as a player.

I wish him well but I expect to see him languishing in Dallas or KC, though I can't really imagine a team foolish enough to bring in Freddy for what Freddy thinks he should be paid. Freddy is a legend in his own mind. I mean who in their right mind would follow Freddy on Twitter, except maybe Freddy and his mom.

If you are keeping score on the Freddy story, it is Peter Novak 1 and Freddy and his "supporters" 0. In fact, Freddy's only chance for professional redemption may be if Peter Novak and the Union brought Freddy back in the way Soehn brought Santino back to DCU, to find his way.

Posted by: rcdwriting | June 3, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Michelle Wie is waaay too tall for Freddy Adu!

Posted by: soccerman | June 3, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

WOW. I'm not really sure why everyone is not mentioning how crazy this post is (or rather, how crazy TK's comments included in this post are). Umm, he's laying into a 14 year old kid and he's a grown man. That's kind of insane - regardless of how hyped or rich the kid is. Adu is 14 and TK is so insecure that he has to attack the kid?? I mean, think about it. That really is one of the more insane things I've seen. I'm far from a prude and think that everyone should be able to do anything that doesn't physically affect others - but, that is a grown man attacking a 14 year old kid. Just think about how depraved and literally crazy Kornheiser must be to do that. I used to think he was just annoying. Now I'm thinking he may in fact be the most psycotic loser in sports. God, I hope he gets fired.

Posted by: Urnesto | June 3, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Freddie Adu's mistake was signing with MLS which had no idea what to do with a raw 14 year-old phenom. Wish he had signed with a European club which had the facilities to develop his technical skills (team and personal) to the top level.

As for TK, the only thing that saves him is that show with Wilbon.

Posted by: glynnjp1 | June 3, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

------------------
And Kornheiser is not writing or broadcasting well, so they are even.

Posted by: pjohn2 | June 3, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser has always been a mean-spirited, unfunny jerk. Worse, he doesn't know anything about sports, having never played any himself or taken the time to learn them in depth. His 'analysis' has always been that of the drunk sitting next to you in a sports bar, hoping his zings, rants and corny puns get you you to buy him a beer. When the Post criticized his performance on MNF, he cried like a baby, yet he makes a career out of ripping people, from middle-aged women to 14-year kids. What a sad, little man.

Posted by: SammyT1 | June 3, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser is a perfect match for that idiot Wilbon.

Posted by: caps1974 | June 3, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Urnesto | June 3, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow, looks like someone needs to work on their reading comprehension skills. You apparently missed the part where Freddy Adu was 14 seven years ago. I don't think Tony K will be getting fired for comments he made publicly in 2003.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 3, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

TK's comments seem mean spirited and ugly, nothing witty about them. I was a big fan of the TK/MW combo but it seems to be allot less smart and insightful and just plain mean now.

I'm not a big fan of folks cheering for young guys to fail which TK seems to be doing. Anyway, too bad, he used to be relevant (TK).

Now he's just the sports version of a "Birther" and MW while not endorsing his position is the sports version of Michael Steele.

Posted by: Eternal2 | June 3, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse