Ma'ake Kemoeatu wants to play nose tackle

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

So it turns out that not everyone in the world considers playing nose tackle in the 3-4 a fate worse than death-by-vuvuzela. Ma'ake Kemoeatu, the offseason acquisition who's been rehabbing an Achilles' injury, actually wants to be a space-filling behemoth, allowing linebackers behind him to make plays. Go figure.

Kemoeatu talked about his grandest football ambitions to Chad Dukes on 106.7 The Fan Wednesday afternoon, and he managed to do so without voicing a single complaint.

"My main job is just to make sure the linebackers can flow to the ball," he said. "If I can keep the offensive line off of 'Rak and Fletch, to let them run around and sack the quarterback and make all the tackles, man, that's what I want to do. That's what they brought me here for, and that's what I do for a defense. It'll be a lot of fun."

Huh? Fun? Without the glory? What the heck planet did this guy arrive from?

"If I was getting paid that much money, I'd play any position, put me wherever you want to put me," he said. "We were just talking about that in the locker room. I was like, 'If I were to win the lottery today and I get $100 million now, I would still be playing football.' I love the game. I grew up playing around it. And a lot of people was like, 'We're not doing it for the money, we're doing it for the love of the game.' "

Huh? Love?

"At the same time, we've got bills to take care of," Kemoeatu said. "But $100 million takes care of a lot of bills, you know? That's a lot of bills. I don't know how much bills you've got. I know some fireworks went down today at the facility with Haynes not showing up, I just hope that they get something worked out. If Haynesworth is with us this season, we'll be a great defense. I was looking forward to working with him. And if Haynesworth is not with us this season, we'll still be a great defense. You know, with or without Haynesworth, we're still rolling the ball and we're still gonna bang heads."

Someone needs a serious attitude adjustment. Dukes at one point asked Kemoeatu whether anyone in the locker room was lining up on Haynesworth's side vs. the front office.

"Um, no," the newcomer said. "I think the feeling I get out of everyone on the team is everyone's been sympathetic from last season all the way 'til now. I think if Haynes would have shown up [Wednesday], they would have forgive and forget. But I think when he didn't show up, it kind of pushed everybody over the edge to go in the direction that they're going right now."

In any case, Kemoeatu said he wants to get to around 345 or 350 pounds by the time the season starts, and he expects to be the starting nose tackle the way things are shaping up in this post-Haynesworth world.

"That's what it's looking like right now," he said. "Right now I'm training to get back in shape so when I check in training camp July 29, I'll be the starting nose tackle. That's what it's looking like right now."

He also said a certain hamburger chain might be an impediment to his weight goal.

"You guys are serious about Five Guys out here," he joked. "Man, I'm telling you, those guys are telling me, 'Kemo, we're trying to get you to lose weight, whatever you do, stay away from Five Guys.' So you know I had to go to Five Guys and try it out. I was like, 'Coach, I don't know, it's gonna be kind of tough.' "

Hey, better the guy eating Five Guys in Ashburn than the guy eating tofu steaks in Nashville.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 17, 2010; 8:41 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theismann rips "classless" Haynesworth
Next: George Starke on Bruce Allen and Vinny Cerrato

Comments

lol, big guy can't stay away from the five guys.

Big ups to you Kemo! Stoked to see you chomping space like pac-man.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 17, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

How refreshing to hear from players who actually love playing the game.

Posted by: JulzDC | June 17, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

This season is going to be so fun to watch, mark my words.

This has been like the year of the reality show for 'Skins football: we have all the drama of Dancing with the Stars(McNabb, Larry Johnson, trying to get Westbrook, etc.) combined with the excitement of Big Fat Loser(Haynesworthless).

Posted by: Corvis777 | June 17, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see someone who WANTS to play where the coaches place him.

Posted by: stwasm | June 17, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@ged0386

sjakemuzik wrote:
Typical, modern, black athlete.

ged0386 wrote:
Whats wrong? were you teased by the black jocks in high school. Thats usually the case with white guys who as grown men have a grudge against black guys. They were bussed to the black neighborhood schools and got beat up by the black kids. And they cant let it go. Even as adults.

sjakemuzik wrote:
And as an African American male, I can say whatever I want about the young black generation. The majority of them are spoiled and don't wanna honor their commitments.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ged0386

Don't you owe sjakemuzik and all white adult males an apology? It's time you grow up ged0386.

Posted by: hessone | June 17, 2010 10:10 AM |

And as a free American I can say anything about anyone that I want. And I'll say this about you ged, get one. You are an ass of the highest order.

Posted by: scampbell1975

Posted by: hessone | June 17, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

It's nice to see someone who appreciates the incredible opportunity given to him. So many guys would do anything for a chance on a Pro practise squad because they love football so much, and there's folks like Buttersworth who just insult the game with their presence. As a lineman playing HS ball, I accepted that I wasn't going to be the big-name star. But I played because I loved playing and wanted to do the best I could for my team.

Snyder brought this monster out. Now the new front office and coaching staff needs to put the bastard out of work. I can't imagine what team would want this guy at this point.

Posted by: j762 | June 17, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Go Kemoeatu! A real professional who deserves to don our beloved burgundy and gold.

Posted by: brian71490 | June 17, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Bottom line, Stompworth has his money and doesn't want to play football anymore. $nyder made the decision to sign Stompworth, and like so many other decisions he's made reguarding the Redskins, he has destroyed the team he owns and I used to love. Hail no more. Not another dime!

BOYCOTT $NYDER OR YOU'RE A FOOL WITH YOUR MONEY!

Posted by: hessone | June 17, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Lets just insert Kemo in the middle and get the fat piece of garbage outta here somehow someway!

Posted by: joeboggs | June 17, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Give that man a cigar, a bj and an applause!

Posted by: iubiquity | June 17, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I love this guy, glad he's here. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 17, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Why hatin' on Tofu Steaks, Bro?

Posted by: BenThere | June 17, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Because of Haynesworth's attitude, we have developed the wrong perspective on nose tackles. Sure, you don't get the gaudy stats, but you aren't anonymous. If the defense is harassing the QB all day because Kemo tied up two guys, he will receive lots of public praise and credit from teammates. And at contract renewal time, he'll be paid well.

Posted by: StevenGrossman | June 17, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"I was like, 'If I were to win the lottery today and I get $100 million now, I would still be playing football.'"

"That's crazy talk." - Albert Haynesworth

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | June 17, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

A man is allowed to make mistakes but never is a man allowed to NOT be a man.

A man tells you 'you got until April 1st to find a new team but if you take that check, I expect you to be here' and you take the check and don't show up, you are not a man.

Posted by: kahlua87 | June 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I love this guy already. You don't want to go to battle against a cheerful warrior.

Plus: Kemo Eat U. Seriously, how great is that?

Posted by: freakzilla | June 17, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Wait. Wait. WAITAMINNIT...

I just read another headline saying Coach hasn't exactly thought about who's playing nose tackle this year?

Um, er, I have. AND IT AIN'T HAYNESWORTH.

PAY DA MAN! He can eat Five Guys every day from here to exhibitions. 'Cause he'll eat at least a couple guys every week come regular season.

This goes in category NO-BRAINER.

Posted by: poorskins | June 17, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse