McNabb: "I still love Philly"

Donovan McNabb held his final Philadelphia-based White Party over the weekend to raise money for his DM5 Foundation. The event -- which followed McNabb's football came -- was emceed by Biz Markie, and involved a lot of people wearing white. And at some point, McNabb himself took the mic.

It's not entirely easy to understand all of his words, but this is my guess at the meat of his farewell speech. Probably best for you to forget you ever saw this. And remember, we think it's charming and heartwarming when guys like Caron Butler come back here and say how they still love D.C., so you probably shouldn't hold this against McNabb.

"I had 11 strong years here in Philadelphia, tried to give you everything that I've got," McNabb said. "Every time I stepped on the field I tried to give you what I've got. Throw them fives in the air. Let me see how much you appreciate what I gave y'all, throw y'all fives in the air. Every time I stepped on the field I gave you everything, from my inside and out. I'm gonna see y'all twice a year [garbled, boos], but you know one thing. I still love Philly."

And yes, to "throw y'all fives in the air" apparently means to raise all five fingers in homage to McNabb's uniform number. Really.

(Via Urswurve)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 16, 2010; 2:23 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wilbon offers Haynesworth a "standing ovation"
Next: John Wall's ESPN the Mag Cover

Comments

"Throw them fives in the air."

But should we wave them like we just don't care?

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | June 16, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

it kinda reminds me of when deon put on the Burgundy & Gold.-eeooh

Posted by: Hattrik | June 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

So what's the big deal? I lived in the Philly area for most of McNabb's career and he is a class act. He will do everything he can to win here in DC, including beating the Eagles. Washington is lucky to get a guy like this, and there is nothing wrong with having affection for Philly. Again, the guy is sterling.

Posted by: clarkesq | June 16, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

If any Skins fan has a problem with this they need to get their head examined. I hope former Redskins (or, like Steinberg mentions, Caron) would have affection for DC after they left. McNabb will be in DC for 2-3 years most likely. Hopefully he will bring us the same kind of success he brought to the Eagles. Plus, I don't have any real animosity towards the Eagles as an organization, just towards their fans.

Posted by: gkronenberg | June 16, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Agree with the others. It's hard not to love a city that you lived in for 10 years and did so many community service projects for.

If McNabb throws an interception to lose a Skins game then starts doing these chants, then we can talk.

Posted by: HogsHaven | June 16, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

He can love Philly all he wants as long as he beats the tar out of them twice a year. (Also Dallas, but that goes without saying.)

Here's one more vote with the sentiment above that it would be unreasonable for him not to retain some affection for the Brotherly Love metropolis.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | June 17, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse