McNabb, Strasburg, Ovechkin welcome Wall to D.C.

You're gonna want to watch this video. It features D.C.'s biggest sports stars welcoming John Wall to their town. It includes cameos from Dononvan McNabb, Alex Ovechkin, Ryan Zimmerman, Stephen Strasburg, and many others in this suddenly star-studded sports town.

"I was happy, a 19-year old kid, to see people that I looked up to in the football side," Wall said. "I watch hockey a little bit, basically [Ovechkin] and Sidney Crosby are the two best players, and Strasburg is one of the top young pitchers coming into the game now. To see those guys do it, we're gonna try to bring the sports back in D.C. I'm gonna support those guys, see if I can try to go watch a couple of their games."

As for Leonsis's version of the John Wall Dance?

"He tried, but it seemed like he lost a little step or two," Wall said.

As long as we're doing other sports talk, you want John Wall's thoughts on the World Cup? Well, here you go.

"I want USA to win," he said of Saturday's meeting with Ghana. "I was happy the other day, I almost broke the lamp in my room when they hit the goal, because they made the assist and [Clint Dempsey] bricked it....I was nervous. Soccer's a tough sport, you've got to be in a lot of shape, you've got to take beatings, because you get kicked and 'bowed in the mouth and I don't understand why they get yellow and red cards. I'm just happy. Anything for my country, I'm gonna support them and just hope that they win."

(Wall, of course, used to be a soccer goalie. "That didn't work," he said. "I got hit in the mouth and broke a tooth. That was the last of me playing goalie.")

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 25, 2010; 1:38 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall arrives in D.C.
Next: John Wall's uniform preferences: 3 and 15?

Comments

I can't remember a time when DC sport scene was like this. It's just great.

Posted by: ridgely1 | June 25, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Ted. You slay me! <3

Posted by: irockthered | June 25, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Curse of Les Boulez, Strasburg tears a ligament in his wrist soon enough.

Posted by: Colm1 | June 25, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Love it!!!

Posted by: tsbrul1 | June 25, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Ovi doing the dance is easily the funniest. Ted is easily the most awkward.

Posted by: JDP_ | June 25, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow, who's the DeadHead?

Posted by: dovelevine | June 25, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

True welcome to DC

Posted by: JohnWallDC | June 25, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

True welcome to DC

Posted by: JohnWallDC | June 25, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

True welcome to DC

Posted by: JohnWallDC | June 25, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

no pressure, John Wall. you are no longer human, but a transcendental 19 year old who can't possibly err or be overhyped. Just remember to be perfect and we will always accept you. (does awkward john wall dance).

Posted by: BigNasty | June 25, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Love it too! Welcome John Wall!!!!

Posted by: ivyleague | June 25, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Loved Ovi's shirt.

Posted by: xlynwoodx | June 25, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to know what idiot producer didn't detect the scene in which a "DC Fan" is at an office with a 49ER helmet in his office background. What kind of message are we sending?

Other than that, great video.

GO NATS GO SKINS GO CAPS GO WIZ GO UNITED!

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | June 25, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Kinda creepy that i know several of the people in this video. Gotta love Zimm's super serious cameo. That guy is all business.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 25, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Zimm is all business.

Posted by: RojoJohnson | June 25, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Abby Wambach still the top athlete in town.

Posted by: BDVienna | June 25, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I can't remember a time when DC sport scene was like this. It's just great.

Posted by: ridgely1 | June 25, 2010 1:44 PM

Yeah, we really sucked our way into some excitement!

Now let's see this franchise saving draftee buzz lead to some playoff success for our teams. Then I'll think that we're getting somewhere.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 25, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | June 25, 2010 3:29 PM

A pretty accurate one... "I like the teams from my childhood home, but I'm willing to jump on the bandwagon if someone really interesting comes to town. Then when it doesn't work out I'll go back to my childhood team and mock the District's teams."

Posted by: Kev29 | June 25, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone | June 25, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"How utterly pathetic. I remeber that Leonsis organized a similar welcome for Jaromir Jagr at the airport. How did that work out Ted?

Posted by: poguesmahone"

You know, I was thinking the same thing. I think Ovechkin's entrance was way more low key compared to those two. First big acquisition since becoming owner (much like Jagr). I hope he can deliver the goods.

Posted by: RojoJohnson | June 25, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone"

Really, poguesster? It's "utterly pathetic"? Really? What are you, the Grinch who stole Christmas? Do you hate sunshine and little kids too? I mean, all teams do stuff like this every year. It cost $2k and took a day. It was nice and fun and hometowny. Lighten up, Francis. Geez. There's no rule that every article on here requires someone to post a jerk comment to it.

Posted by: Urnesto | June 25, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Wall is not an acquisition the way Jagr was.

Wall and Ovi are both no. 1 draft picks projected at the time of their respective draft to be superstars.

So far Ovi has lived up to his promise at the time of his draft and the Caps franchise has become wildly successful.

I understand the drive behind the excitement of drafting Wall, which can then be followed by building a team around him and thereby turning around the moribund franchise. I hope Wall does live up to his promise--Ovi then Strasburg now Wall. It's exciting for DC.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | June 25, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

No Urnesto, it was stupid and lame and something that pathetic and losing franchises do.

Posted by: poguesmahone | June 27, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

big up Mambo Sauce for the "Welcome to DC" theme music...

Posted by: rtramonte5500 | June 27, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

cute, video.

Anyone notice the one guy with 30 pens in his pocket? at 18 seconds in?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 28, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

cute, video.

Anyone notice the one guy with 30 pens in his pocket? at 18 seconds in?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 28, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse