Orioles miss out on Strasburg mania

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

By far the most e-mails I've gotten since Strasmas have concerned the MASN2/FiOS/HD issue, with Verizon subscribers saying they couldn't find the game, or complaining about the lack of HD for the MASN2 Strasmas broadcast. (Anyone who needs to find MASN or MASN2 on your provider, please click here.)

Many, many, many of these e-mailers asked me if this was all a Peter Angelos plot to spite the Nats. This is something I don't get. Peter Angelos and the Orioles make money off MASN. If Verizon FiOS starts carrying MASN2 in HD, Peter Angelos and the Orioles will make more money. And if hundreds of thousands of people watch, they'll make even more.

Remember, this is what he said just a few weeks ago:

"What's good for the Nationals is good for MASN. That makes me happy, and that makes Mr. Lerner happy. They are partners in the MASN network. The better they do, the more interest it generates."

So I'm not sure why Angelos would want to limit MASN/MASN2's reach or suppress its viewership.

But for Nats fans who hate Angelos, I present this to you. The Nats have said that Strasburg will start every five days, not every five games. That means he'll be starting June 23 at home against the Royals, and then June 28 at Atlanta. In between those starts are three games at Baltimore, on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The Orioles are averaging 22,875 fans a game, 21st in the league, almost identical to the Nats. You think they might be able to sell out a weekend game featuring Strasburg? Fact is, if he was going every five games instead of every five days, Strasburg would be starting Friday the 25th at Camden Yards. That's a few dollars Peter Angelos will not be making off the Nats' phenom. So all you haters can secretly unleash a smile.

(As for FiOS, I checked in again today. A spokeswoman told me that the company is "very aware that [MASN2 HD] is an important channel to our customers," and that they're "working hard to make it available." Rob Pegoraro has much more on this topic. Stay tuned.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 11, 2010; 12:09 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The political press and Strasburg
Next: Leonsis clarifies uniform/name change possibilities

Comments

The smile I have for Angelos missing out on a Strasburg crowd isn't in secret. Also, I think power means more to him than money -- he kept the Nats games off basic cable for most of us for almost two years. I root for the man to fail and if Baltimore eventually loses its baseball team because of it, so be it.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | June 11, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

As much as I feel sorry for Verizon FIOS subscribers that they can't get MASN2 in HD...I have DISH Network and they don't even carry regular MASN in HD. DISH Subscribers - please email: care@customermail.dishnetwork.com and ask for ALL MASN channels in HD!

Posted by: capsnnats | June 11, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Mont Co Comcast didn't show the game either. They showed the O's.

Posted by: Bebunk | June 11, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

As a MoCo Fios customer, what's REALLY irritating is that -- in the sports channel neighborhood alone -- they somehow have the capacity to offer the Big Ten Network, YES (the YANKEES NETWORK!!!) and the World Fishing Network in HD, but not MASN 2. Almost makes me miss Comcast ...

Posted by: Bethesdangit1 | June 11, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@Bethesdangit1...I'm born and raised in Mont Co. Had Comcast for years..then FIOS. Moved about 8 months ago and my building doesn't offer FIOS. Had to switch back to Comcast. LOVE IT, other than missing the game. Really...FIOS blows, IMHO. Just sayin.

Posted by: Bebunk | June 11, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Ironically, as a Comcast subscriber in Baltimore City, I get both MASN and MASN2 no problem, although admittedly, I don't have HD so can't speak to that.

I was seriously bummed when I found out Stras is going to miss starting on the 26th here at OPACY. As the sole Nats fan in my office, I had mustered up a few guys to go to that game. Luckily, I held off on buying tix and then found out about the 5 calendar days rather than 5 game days thing.

Living in Baltimore, I can attest to the vitriol with which O's fans complain about Angelos and his singular ability to run the franchise into the ground. Hopefully it won't end with him selling his stake in his ambulance chasing practice and moving the club to Las Vegas or Portland.

Posted by: kungpow9960 | June 11, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

My whole issue with the MASN MASN 2 deal is why do they keep bumping the Nats to MASN 2? Why can't the Nats be shown on MASN and the O's on MASN 2. If that happens then the whole HD issue isn't there at all for FIOS customers.

Posted by: lightner_michael | June 11, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

So, normally, I support you wholeheartedly, Dan. But, here, you make up a word with no obvious meaning ("Strasmas") and use it in the heading on the first page and then again in the article. And you never explain it. This isn't 4th grade where inside jokes are cool. Since this is a NEWSpaper (even with some human-side reporting), please identify what the heck you mean. Those of us not in your living room don't know what Strasmas is/means. That renders the rest of the article lame, because it's never explained. You don't really want people to be thinking about tyhe meaning of a made up word instead of reading what you're writing, do you? In fact, none of it makes sense -- FIOS, MASN, huh? I've never seen either of those before. You shouldn't just write to your buddies who already know your secret language -- there's a whole wide world out there which would like to follow along but can't when you (a) make up words; and (b) don't define the anacronyms you use. I mean, come on, Strasmas? MASN? FIOS? I am a born and bred DC'er but living now in LA and we don't use those words out here. What do they mean?

Posted by: Urnesto | June 11, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Well, lets look at it this way. Why wouldn't FIOS want it?

Posted by: richs91 | June 11, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Get Directv. MASN and MASN2 in HD every day. GO ORIOLES AND NATS!

Posted by: SkinsOsHokies | June 11, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Verizon FIOS: Work harder or I'm going back to DirecTV.

Posted by: mitlen | June 11, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey Urnesto

MASN = Mid Atlantic Sports Network
MASN2 = Mid Atlantic Sports Network 2
Verizon FIOS is a television content provider much like cox, dish network, and directv.

Strasmas is Chrismas for Nationals fans. It does not take a freaking rocket scientist to figure this stuff out. Quit your whining

Posted by: SkinsOsHokies | June 11, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, I think you're missing the point here. It's not that he's deliberately reducing MASN viewership to screw over the Nats for no reason other than pure malice. It's that he's using MASN to promote his other, primary product, the Orioles, to the detriment of the Nationals.

I think we can all agree that MASN is preferable to MASN2 for a number of reasons, yes? The HD issue on some carriers, the increased chance of casual surfers stumbling across the game, and so forth. So if you were running MASN as a business with no alternate interests, you would put your best product on MASN and leave the less desirable product to MASN2, right? So reason would dictate that you would move the best product, in this case the Nats with Strasburg starting, to MASN.

But Angelos does not do this, because he wants to ensure that the Orioles get equal (some would say greater) exposure to audiences to enhance the value of his primary asset.

Look at it this way- let's say you and I both make candy. I also own the only candy shop in town. Your candy is selling like gangbusters, some magical combination of Toblerone and Butterfingers. Mine tastes like stale dog food. If my only concern is the success of my candy store, I promote your candy, put it in the window, advertise it, give it a good shelf, and so on. But if I make a lot more money when I sell my own candy because that also means revenue for me as the guy who makes the candy ... well that's gonna change my perspective on how to market your candy and mine, right?

And that, in a nutshell, is what is so corrupt about the Angelos MASN problem, and why Nats fans are justified in wishing for nothing but misery for him and his baseball team.

Posted by: Bowdenball | June 11, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Bowdenball...THANK YOU! You made the point! That was my gripe and has been all this year. Put the bottom of the majors on masn 2 where they belong!

Posted by: lightner_michael | June 11, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"Wishing for nothing but misery for him and his baseball team." Bowdenball

Wishing is unnecessary.

Posted by: richs91 | June 11, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I would love to give Angelos a sellout crowd courtesy of a Strasburg start. A sellout full of Nats fans rocking Camden Yards.

Posted by: LouLewis | June 11, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Urnesto | June 11, 2010 1:16 PM |

You cant be serious? I hope im not falling into your trap here.

Strasburg + Christmas = you can figure it out

MASN & FIOS, google it smart guy

Go watch the Lakers or something

Posted by: ElPresidente1984 | June 11, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh and MASN2 HD here in Bmore City is just as good as MASN HD since all the transition stuff occurred. Now if we could get rid of Angelos all would be well.

Posted by: doesntmatter | June 11, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Angelos is loving the doubled ad rates for Strasburg on MASN and MASN2 - trust me, he's fine.

Mont Co Comcast didn't show the game either. They showed the O's.

Posted by: Bebunk | June 11, 2010 12:29 PM

The game was on MASN2, everywhere. In MoCo it's channel 4 (SD) and channel 844 (HD). How is this so difficult?

Well, lets look at it this way. Why wouldn't FIOS want it?

Posted by: richs91 | June 11, 2010 1:22 PM

The popular theory is that Verizon is out of bandwith/capacity for more HD channels right now.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 11, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

This would seem to answer our question about the 18th/19th although Mr Dan conveniently omitted that date from the equation. But even in my basic math subtraction, I think I can figure this out and hopefully it is correct.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 11, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I have Directv which has both MASN and MASN2 on HD. Strasburg debut on MASN2 was NOT on HD. It was just plain malicious. To me, that was Angelos, once again, sticking his finger in the eyes of Nats fans.

Posted by: GoEagles | June 11, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I have Directv which has both MASN and MASN2 on HD. Strasburg debut on MASN2 was NOT on HD. It was just plain petty and malicious. To me, that was Angelos, once again, sticking his finger in the eyes of Nats fans.

Posted by: GoEagles | June 11, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Urnesto, these aren't new things, Steinberg has made many a post about them all before.

Posted by: amorris525 | June 11, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29...thanks...I never go to the 800's, but will start now. 'preciate the help.

Posted by: Bebunk | June 11, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

SkinsOsHokies--

Hey dummy, there's absolutely no whining there at all. The only one getting emotional is you. Yes, Strasburg + Christmas was my first guess. But so what? A writer for the WaPo should not make up words without defining them. It's really pretty simple. What if I called you a dumb motherhole? It doesn't mean anything but it's a combination of two words. Can you figure it out?

-------
ElPrez--

The point isn't that I was dying because I didn't know, but rather that Dan S. should define his terms like any competent writer. It's not actually my job to google it; it's Dan's. And frankly I don't care about a bunch of hick networks. I just want Dan to do a better job. One shouldn't have to google and make weird verbal leaps just to read a light article. And you know what? It's not quite as obvious as you say. Yes, Strasmas and Christmas both end in "mas" and thus there is a similarity. But why the hell are we even talking about Christmas in June? It's not like it's a common suffix added to everything (eg, "-gate"). I'm supposed to figure out that Dan feels Chrsitmasy right now? No, it's Dan's job, not mine. No whining at all.

Posted by: Urnesto | June 11, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Put the bottom of the majors on masn 2 where they belong!

Posted by: lightner_michael | June 11, 2010 1:33 PM

The Orioles were scheduled on MASN because of the Yankees - it was done last Winter. When the Nats play high profile opposition (Phillies, Cubs, etc) they get MASN. They split the games equally - sounds like something the two clubs have agreed on and they didn't change it. Big deal. The tail is already wagging the dog enough with Strasburg's promotion. I'm a Nats fan who hates Angelos, but I don't care about this.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 11, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Urnesto -- proving that people every do just fine at making idiots of themselves.

Posted by: Incredulous2 | June 11, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doesntmatter | June 11, 2010 1:44 PM

I too grew up an O's fan and remember the teams they fielded in the 1980's quite fondly. I was a fan because D.C. had no team of its own and I stopped supporting the O's after Cal Ripken, Jr. retired. Peter Angelos cruised by in the first 8 years of his ownership only because of the Iron Man and other players who were part of those great 1980's teams. Without any ties to the O's great past, Angelos' faults as an owner became amazingly clear.

Why do I follow the Nats now? As a District resident, they are MY team, not a team I have to borrow from a city 38 miles away.

Posted by: RobertBise | June 11, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@GoEagles- DirecTV has MASN 2 in HD as well, and the Strasburg start was in HD. It channel 641-1, the very next channel after 641 which is the nonHD MASN2.

Why would anyone switch from DirecTV to FIOS? Surely not because Johnny Holiday has to plug FIOS every other minute on Nats Extra. I switched from Comcast to DirecTV when Angelos was preventing Comcast from picking up MASN and I have never looked back. It's awesome!

And Urnesto, if you seriously didn't know what Strasmas, MASN, and FIOS meant, I wonder how long it has been since you checked this blog. In any event, this is not a newspaper, it's a blog, and informality and shorthand is not only acceptable, but encouraged. I'd hate to hear what you have to say about Twitter.

Posted by: Section222 | June 11, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@Urnesto: MASN, MASN2, and FIOS are commonly known acronyms and so do not need spelling out, even in a news article. If this were a article, I'm certain than Dan S. would not use the term "Strasmas" without explanation.

But this is not a news article. This is a blog. The "writer's rules of engagement" do not apply.

Posted by: RobertBise | June 11, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't the MASN vs MASN2 scheduling all worked out months ago? And didn't both teams have an equal number of games on MASN?

From MASNsports.com:

The Nationals will have 95 live games on MASN and MASH HD and an additional 67 on MASN2 and MASN2 HD.

The Orioles will play 95 games live on MASN and MASN HD and 63 games on MASN2 and MASN2 HD.
------------------

Seems like folks anger is better directed at FiOS and the other providers.

Yay DirecTV!

Posted by: tha_prophet | June 11, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

We Nats Fans had better be very wary of putting World Championship Dreams on Strasburg's shoulders ... oh, not because he may get injured, or may turn out to be not quite so good, but history.

The Old Senators had Walter Johnson for 20 years, and only went to two series -- both near the very end of his career -- and won one of those. And The Big Train is considered by many as the greatest pitcher ever, at least of the first half of the 20th century.

There is only so much even the greatest pitchers can do for a team when they pitch every fourth or fifth game.

Posted by: JPMcC | June 11, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I just read the last 8 Steinberg posts on Strausburg and there was no definition of "Strausmas." I still believe Dan should have been a lot more clear and it's not a common verbal combo that we all should know. Apparently that makes me an idiot, though I'm not at all sure why.

As for Section 222, it's a blog on a newpaper's site. It attempts to be well-written. It is not 140-character Twitter. I'm all for abbreviations, but I feel that it was ridiculous in this context. And no, I have never heard of MASN or FIOS. I am not a frickin hick so I don't need 10,000 channels just to watch TV. You'd think I cut on the Cap's or something the way people are reacting.

Posted by: Urnesto | June 11, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Angelos is arguably the worst owner in baseball. He's been the worst since he became owner in the 90s. He never has gotten the idea that "making the customer happy" is the best thing for his business, in this case, the Orioles. He repeatedly opposed and fought efforts to bring a team to DC, yet He's too cheap to put a good team in the field. When exactly was the last O's winning season? 1997. In 98 he ran Davey Johnson out of town (along with some great players that made too much money) and the O's fans never have had a winning season since.

He has got a mountain of pride which stops him from doing the diplomatic things which effect how others see him and his club. I think the MASN thing is another example (among many) of his pulling his stings, whether or not it benefits him financially. The guy's a jerk and he relishes being a jerk. Why expect anything different?

Posted by: boblas | June 11, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@Urnesto
Maybe you should've checked Nats Journal? They're the ones who ran the original poll on what to call Strasburg's debut. But a brief google search suggests you were probably the only one who didn't get the memo on Strasmas.

Posted by: koalatek | June 11, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The ownership and management of the Orioles are basically a nuclear reactor fire. The Nationals aren't much better, but at least the fire has been put now that Strasburg is in town. It's going to take a while in order for things to start growing in Natstown. Bowden and MLB have pretty much set this team back years.

The Orioles are basically the ground around Chernobyl. Nothing will live there as long as Angelos and McPhail are running the reactor room. It's just going to be a disaster.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | June 11, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

As a born and raised in the city Washingtonian I can never root for a Baltimore team. I am old enough to remember the intercity rivalries of the 50-60-70's and damned if I will ever cheer the O's (I did sorta cheer for Ripken's longevity record)...It's about the same for me as my regards for the Cowboys...Of course I did move away in '71 but have maintained my allegiance and always follow the DC sports teams, no matter how difficult sometimes...In my book a true Washington sports fan never roots for any Baltimore team...I would rather find a minor league team to root for.

Posted by: andy11 | June 11, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I live in MoCo and have comcast and I saw the game! It was on channel 844 and in beautiful HD.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | June 11, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Bebunk:

I am in Montgomery County and watched the game on Comcast MASN2 it was on channel 4. The O's game was on MASN that night channel 41.

Posted by: kevin812 | June 11, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, you've turned the DC SportsBog into the DC STRASBlog! 98% of your posts have been about Strasburg for the last week. there's gotta be something else to cover.

Posted by: tsbrul1 | June 11, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

One rain out away from Stras pitching in Baltimore.

Angelo$ is a piece of $h-t and doesn't deserve anything more than he has which is close to 18 sell-outs per year with 9 home games against the Red Sox and 9 home games against the Yankees.

Dan, when you say "The Orioles are averaging 22,875 fans a game" you really mean they are averaging 8,000 Orioles fans and 14,875 from the "visitors" fanbase.

Sure, the Nationals have a similar effect with Phillie Phans and some Mets fans but the fanbase will be growing in Washington while the fanbase in Baltimore is shrinking.

It was hilarious to see a few O's fans at the Stras debut....and so it starts.

Posted by: dmacman88 | June 11, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I have no beef with Baltimore fans but Angelos is not worthy of the Orioles or any other team for that matter.

He is already raking in profits from Strasburg on MASN so not sure how this will hurt him much.

Posted by: A-Contrario | June 11, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"who are you Nats fans. You better not be in 20-40ish year old range because you grew up on the O's not the Expos. I'm from MoCo, live in BMORE but love the Skins and O's. How do you actually like the Nats?"

Speak for yourself. 33 years old and root for The teams with the name WASHINGTON on the front. Always have always will. You're the one that has no allegiance. You were a pawn in a game by the baseball team in Baltimore. You were force fed and now wonder why people are Nats fans. Its because we root for the teams in Washington DC. Deal with it

Posted by: JDB1 | June 11, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Those saying that the even distribution of the games on MASN and MASN2 somehow makes the whole thing kosher are missing the point.

This particular instance- the Strasburg game on MASN2- shows that the arrangement is a faulty one to begin with because conflicts will occur without fail, and they will result in inferior availabilty of the better product for the consumer without fail. It might be the choice of games shown in HD in certain places, it might be the cross-promotion or lack thereof, it may be the way the teams are talked about when they play each other, but somehow the bias will rear its ugly head. Or the perceived bias will. It doesn't really matter if it's real or perceived. The network that broadcasts the Nats is owned not only by a competitor, but in fact by one of their chief competitors. The whole arrangement stinks, and Nats fans have every right to point out the odor and point fingers at the source of it.

Posted by: Fozzie1 | June 11, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Every game is available in HD, get a better provider.

Posted by: tha_prophet | June 11, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The idea that MASN should rearrange a schedule that they seem to have been particularly careful to ensure gave an even number of dates on the "premier" MASN network to both teams, in order to show Strasburg's debut is the exact sort of thing that would drive Nats fans to cry conspiracy if the situation was reversed.

Which I guess some people are bound and determined to do no matter what...

Posted by: tha_prophet | June 11, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank god he won't be pitching in Baltiomre!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | June 11, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"How do you actually like the Nats?"

Because they play in Washington, where I live, not Harm City, where you live.

Never was an Orioles fan, they're an out of town team like the Indians or Reds, and pretty soon might be a Las Vegas team.

Said many times if you surveyed the DC/NoVA baseball fan base, the Orioles would be lucky to come out ahead of NY, Bos, or Philly. They're not our team, you need to support them or let them move to a bigger market.

Posted by: tgt111 | June 11, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dan-

How about posting the name and phone number for your contact at Verizon. I, and a few other FIOS customers, would like to speak with him/her directly.

Posted by: matrixman | June 11, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Urnesto freaking pay attention or take .323245 seconds to Google something rather than waste 5 minutes complaining and ripping at Steniberg.

Everyone is giving you grief b/c (that would be "because") you're rippin at a fun, informative blog that doesn't take itself too seriously and we all like to check in on and read a few times a day.

Posted by: COYNECMC | June 11, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I look forward to Angelos The Toad dying screaming of rectal cancer, and the Orioles becoming the Las Vegas Orioles or the Orioles de Monterrey...

Posted by: JERRYB1 | June 11, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doesntmatter | June 11, 2010 1:44 PM

doesntmatter - With all due respect, I'm 43, an Arlington native and I "grew up on the O's" because we had no team in DC. I never became attached to the Orioles the way I am to the Redskins, Bullets/Wizards/Capitals (and the way my father was to the Senators).

Yes, I loved Cal Ripken and Eddie Murray, men with both class and talent. But don't for one second equate the admiration of two hall of famers playing in Baltimore as tantamount to adopting a team from another city. I deplore what Angelos has single handedly done to a once storied franchise (and what Dan Snyder seemed hell bent on doing with the Skins). I deplore even more, however, his many, highly publicized attempts to keep a team out of DC for years! And the fans in Baltimore had no problem with that. Ironically, the fans in Baltimore detest the Redskins, primarily because they think Jack Kent Cooke kept a football team out of Baltimore for years. The Squire didn't do 1/10 of what Angelos did. And those same Baltimore fans who think we shouldn't be rooting for the former Expos, cheer gleefully for the former Browns, a team that didn't lack a fan base (like the Expos), but rather inhabited a city that wouldn't build a stadium with public dollars.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Posted by: columbiapike | June 11, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

28 year old baseball fan here. Grew up loving the O's and idolizing Ripken just like most guys my age around Arlington. I grew up with Baltimore as the home town team.

Angelos is a jerk. He has no interest in winning, and I have no interest in rooting for a team that isn't interested in winning.

Add that to the fact that it takes 2 hours to get to Baltimore during the week and 20 minutes to get to the Navy Yard/RFK and I was an easy convert. So were all my friends that grew up in Arlington with me.

If they haven't already sunk, the Orioles are a sinking ship- abandon ship and don't look back, it's surprisingly easy.

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | June 11, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I am 38, born in Fairfax, Va and I cheer exclusively for teams from the Washington, DC metro area. Baltimore is not and has never been part of the metro area as far as I am concerned. Go Caps, Nats, Skins and Wiz!

Posted by: tylerdurden1 | June 11, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

______

Are you seriously that dense? I am 38 and I despise the O's. I have always despised them, and it is still galling to me that DC went 33 years without a team because- at least in part- of a dump like Baltimore. It's kind of like New York City not having a team because it would hurt the attendance of a team in Hoboken, NJ. In other words, a total joke. You are ENORMOUSLY lucky that Angelos managed to extract his MASN scam from MLB as a condition of the Nats moving to DC. The O's attendance is already tanking, predictably, without DC fans support, and if it weren't for the pathetic MASN scheme and the money it generates Angelos would have likely moved your sorry O's to Las Vegas by now. I hope he does someday.

Go back to Dundalk.

Posted by: brian1va1 | June 11, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Why are people whining about HD...I don't have an HD tv but will in the near future...and I'm perfecty happy even tghough HD is great...

I understand it's about clarity etc...but to be able to see a program but cry because it's not in HD is just childish..grow up guys!!!!!!!!

Posted by: pentagon40 | June 11, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

29 and in Fairfax, and yes, for all intents & purposes, I did grow up with the O's. I still have an O's jersey hanging in my closet, and a very well-worn O's hat. I don't wear them anymore.

Baltimore is just too far away. With the Nats, I can go down to the park pretty much whenever I feel that I can. It's a lot easier to root for (and become emotionally-attached to) a team I can actually see in person.

Every time it seemed that Major League Baseball might actually return a team to the District, Angelos thwarted it. For a long time it seemed that Angelos was speaking out of both sides of his mouth. A DC ballclub would kill attendance in Baltimore, which was already struggling--because Angelos *consistently* fielded unwatchable teams in Baltimore.

And when les Expos became the Nats, Angelos continued, keeping the new Nats team off "his" MASN network. For the 2005 season, Nats fans were transported to the 1930s: if we wanted to know anything about our hometown team, we'd have to read about them in the Post, listen to them on WTOP, or come down to RFK ourselves.

That was the last straw for me. I went to a bunch of games in 2005, fell in love, and never looked back.

Leaving the O's also let me leave the AL East, with all of its Yanks/Sawks puffery. I don't have to care about them now--they're in the AL. This has had a nice side-effect: I can stay on better terms with friends who root for AL East teams.

I wish the O's well, and I think of them fondly. I'll remember Cal Ripken as the last great gentleman of the game. But now, I'm a Nats fan.

Posted by: ouij | June 11, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

There are PLENTY of us Oriole fans that don't hate 'Lil Peter Angelos....we DESPISE the midget.

Posted by: james51 | June 11, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: james51 | June 11, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Full disclosure - I'm an O's fan, but dislike Angelos as much as anybody else here.

I don't get why so many people think that the Nats not being on MASN1 for the two SS starts is a conspiracy. The TV schedule was done MONTHS before the season started. The same days that the Nats were playing the Pirates and Indians, the O's played the Yankees and Mets. What games do you think would likely have better ratings when they did the TV schedule in the Winter? The O's consistantly have better ratings than the Nats across full seasons and the NY teams are going to draw way more interest than Pittsburgh and Cleveland. It would only cause even more problems if they tried to change the channel line-up with about a week's notice. Both teams get an EQUAL number of games on MASN1 to keep everybody happy (as much as is possible). Since I don't have FIOS, I overjoyed that we can now get all games in HD with the start of MASN2 HD this season.

Angelos is a business man and loves money - he wants MASN2 HD on every outlet possible. However, if having all of your games in HD is that important, dump FIOS. However, my guess though is that the people that are complaining don't find it that important, otherwise they would have figured this all out before JUNE. For those people, I hope there has been enough discussion on this so you know where to find the TV schedule for when you only watch every 5th day.

Posted by: dugly2ugly | June 14, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse