Randle El: "They knew what they were getting with Albert"

(By Keith Srakocic - AP)

Just when I think every person in the world has been quoted on Albert Haynesworth, the world hiccups up another person whose opinion on He Who Shall Not Be Blogged About More Than Twice a Day has not yet been recorded by posterity. In Wednesday's edition, that person is Antwaan Randle El, who it turns out was actually consulted by Redskins management before Haynesworth was signed.

Which is why he told The Mike Wise Show he was "not at all" surprised by this offseason's pleasant diversion.

"This is something they knew before even signing him," Randle El said. "They knew what they were getting. They talked to Tennessee, they talked to me - because I knew guys that were on the Tennessee team, that would actually give you the lowdown on Albert. So it was just a matter of they just took a shot. They knew what they were getting with Albert. I thought for sure he would show up for the mandatory stuff, but that's just the bottom line....I don't know really what to say more about it. They knew what they were getting in Albert Haynesworth."

Big fan, apparently.

So what does Haynesworth's presence mean for this year's Redskins? Randle El said all could be solved if he comes back and apologies. And if not, the former Skins wide receiver suggested that this will be a lingering, festering, oozing issue.

"How do you celebrate with that guy on the field when it comes to making those plays?" he asked. "It's tough. Every player sees it. And when you get players talking about it and really upset about it, these are guys that come to work and expect the best out of one another. And when you're not getting it out of one guy, they figure hey, let's move on. That's certainly something that management has to deal with, because that defense will tell you, 'Hey, we'll do better without him. We've done better without him last year. That's the way they look at it."

Randle El has talked before about the difference between working for the Steelers and the Redskins, and he talked about it again in this interview, suggesting that the primary differences lie in ownership.

"Dan [Snyder] was involved a little bit more than you would like as a head coach, and certainly as players you could see it, and I think that's just the difference," Randle El said. "You come over to the Steelers, the ownership, they kind of stay back, they let the coaches do their thing. But at the same [time], they know and they're gonna make sure they've got the right guys in the right place, with the right attitude, being the good person you're supposed to be on the field and off the field.

"They make sure they try to keep a good process, making sure they're bringing in the right guys, and when you're not the right guy, you're doing the wrong things, they make sure they clean it up any way that they can. The bottom line is they know how to win....and they always bring in the right coaches that they know they can hang on to and let them coach up and do their job. They don't get involved with the playcalling and all that type of stuff, they stay away from that. I think that's one of the biggest differences."

Wait wait wait wait wait. Playcalling? Did ownership order up that swinging gate picket fence window-washing fake field goal? Thankfully, Wise later returned to this, and asked if Randle El meant to imply that Daniel Snyder gets involved with playcalling.

"They weren't involved in calling plays, but I was giving you an example of how close ownership was to the whole coaching idea," Randle El said. "It was almost like they were involved too much. (Note: Almost? - ed.)

"It was just hard," he continued. "It was tough. And that's what made it tough as players. We had so much selfishness last year. It wasn't just because of the players, it was because the coaches, Zorn and Sherm, they really couldn't do what they wanted to do because management was involved.

"There was just a lot going on, but I think they're heading in the right direction certainly with having Mike there and having Bruce Allen there, and certainly we hope if Dan can stay out of this thing - and I think he will, because he has those two guys in place that he can trust, just like when he had Coach Gibbs in - they can really flourish and take off. Really the sky's the limit for the Redskins right now."

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 23, 2010; 2:06 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strasburg tickets are extremely affordable
Next: Guillen calls Strasburg "Starborough"

Comments

I haven't even read the complete post but I can say I'm so happy Antwan "fair catch" Randle El is gone. Based on the first few sentences I did read he's freakin bitter. No doubt the organization was jacked up last year but any idiot can see that there are changes/improvements being made.

Posted by: JulzDC | June 23, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

You should have read the complete post. He ain't say nothin but the truth.

Posted by: walkdwalk | June 23, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Can't be sure, but think I may have seen Albert this morning on the corner of 15th and M Street.

It was a big black man with a funny little mustache, standing about 6' 6" -- 375 pounds or so -- and wearing a Washington Redskins jersey, number 92. He was holding a squeegee and a hand-lettered cardboard sign that read,

Pleaz Help Me Pay My Lawyurs.

I'm Homeless. Unemployed. Divorced. Overweight. Overdrawn. Overdue.

Boat Sprung a Leak and Damn Rabbit Done Died Too.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 23, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

>>>But at the same [time], they know and they're gonna make sure they've got the right guys in the right place, with the right attitude, being the good person you're supposed to be on the field and *off the field*.

Um, I don't think one Ben R. "got the memo." :D

Posted by: blackjack65 | June 23, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I keep saying the Redskins knew about haynesworth and this entire off season has been a public relations gimmic to cover their _ss from another Snyder pluck up!!!

This has Snyder written all over it. he got caught up in ESPN highlights and opened his check book tooooooo much. plain and simple, the same case all over again.

Posted by: oknow1 | June 23, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

also, many posters have not really played sports and do not know how it is to be part of a team and what it takes to win. Every saturday or Sunday there is a flag football team that beats a team with guys that are quicker/faster and taller/stronger. the guys that win beat the other guys because they are a pure team. They know what each other guy is going to give them. and they maximize THEIR skills in the process. I've been on the losing end enough to respect a good team versus a group of cocky guys.

Posted by: oknow1 | June 23, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Pleaz Help Me Pay My Lawyurs.

I'm Homeless. Unemployed. Divorced. Overweight. Overdrawn. Overdue.

Boat Sprung a Leak and Damn Rabbit Done Died Too.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 23, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

This is the kind if racist idiotic crap that pisses me off. As much of a self-centered fool Hayneworth has been you have never heard him speak like that! Hey Vic1 wwhy don't go reeducate yourselfbefore you post crap like this you assclown!!

Posted by: clwalker1906 | June 23, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

How about ARE catch a punt sometime.

Posted by: Freddr055 | June 23, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

As awful as he was the past two seasons on the kick/punt returns, I always will have a soft spot in my heart for El. He was never anything but a fun loving, dedicated football player. I cursed his name more than a handful of times last year, but the truth is, he was a good team player.

@clwalker1906 - this is the internet. If you are gonna take offense to a joke, then you might want to avoid public forums like this comment section. Vic1 was clearly exaggerating. Goodness, people are too sensitive these days.

Posted by: MillBurray | June 23, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how much there is in this but, I heard Zornie-Boy say towards the end of the season that the reason ARE was always fair catching the punts was due to the fact that they were trying to block the punt EVERY time. Which makes it tough for a returner to make any kind of move towards the endzone.

Did anyone else hear something like that?

Posted by: ericroks | June 23, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, Haynesworth is not going to apologize out aloud but at least he's gonna show up and do whatever the coaches asks him to do, period. He's stated earlier today that he'll deal with the issue privately and that's good enough for me. Now let's move on.

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 23, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

The Skins knew but just didn't care. Everyone thinks that THEY can make a difference when they really cant

If it wasn't this, Albert would be crying about something else....he always is....and he has the brain of a child

Posted by: Bious | June 23, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Vic1 can't re-educate himself because he's about the biggest idiot on this blog. If brains were gunpowder, he wouldn't have enough to blow up a gnat's a$$.

Posted by: guitarman050 | June 23, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

ARE is 100% correct. How many former players say nice things about the Redskins or Redskin players when they are elsewhere? Not many. This whole alumni thing is basically for players who DIDN'T play for Snyder. I don't think there were many alumni that played for the man were at that picnic. They may like his money, but that's about it.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | June 24, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse