Ray Lewis on Haynesworth

When I cited a few arguments in favor of Albert Haynesworth last week, I suggested that people were only defending Haynesworth to be different, to be argumentative, to play devil's advocate.

Well, since then, other sympathizers have emerged, focusing on the way Haynesworth is being dumped on in the media by his teammates.

"I think his teammates should support him a little more," linebacker Al Wilson said, via Pro Football Talk. "Some things should be in-house.Some things you should keep to yourself."

"It's wrong now to let the situation fester and let team officials and teammates unload on him in the media, if indeed he was given personal assurances about how he would be used," Sally Jenkins wrote.

So let it be said, it's not just teammates. It's Pro Bowlers with no connection to Haynesworth, and it's actual friends of his, who are all publicly criticizing the way he's handled this situation.

Take Keith Bullock, for example. The veteran linebacker is Haynesworth's former teammate, considers him a good friend, and has talked to him this offseason. He also leans toward thinking Haynesworth is in the wrong, and has said so publicly.

"I don't think he's handling it the right way, that's just my personal opinion," Bullock recently told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon on Sirius NFL Radio. "I think a situation like this probably could be resolved going about it a different way. But at the same time, the Washington Redskins knew who they were getting when they decided to pay him all that money, you know what I mean? The Washington Redskins also, I'm sure, when they paid him that money, they expected him to take that step to become a leader....

"I think I'm kind of in-between, because I think that Albert definitely knows better, and I think he might just be at a point now that he already got this far and is just like whatever, he's standing his ground....Albert and I are friends. It goes off the football field. It's hard, because he is that guy, he's gonna do what he wants, you see what I'm saying? It's hard to dissect when it comes to Albert. I respect him as a person and as a football player, but like I said, I don't agree with how he's going about this situation. I feel that he knows better and he could handle it better, for the sake of his teammates and for the respect of everybody."

Now that's fairly mild. Darnell Dockett was less so. Dockett has criticized Haynesworth on Twitter, but he was even harsher during that appearance last week on 106.7 The Fan's LaVar and Dukes show. Dockett cited some of the defensive tackles hoping to land big contracts, and said Haynesworth's attitude is hurting them all.

"These guys are going out balling every day, showing up to OTAs and camps that's not even mandatory, and we've got to come and put down our work, and show these teams that we want to get paid," Dockett said. "And you've got a guy that is one of the highest paid defensive tackles in the league, and not even showing up? It's like, man, you're making it harder for us to get paid. Now teams looking like, why should we pay this guy $56 million when the other team just paid this guy $100 million and he's acting the way he's acting? I feel insulted by the man."

If that seems selfish, Dockett also offered the love-of-the-game argument, and did so with great enthusiasm.

"I'm a football player," Dockett said. "Let's let that be told. You can put me in any scheme, I'm gonna find me a way to make a play, because that's what i know how to do. You can put me in a 4-8, 3-4, 5-6, 2-11. Whatever you put me in, I'm gonna make a play, because that's just how I am. I'm not gonna complain about it. and I love the way London Fletcher said football's gonna be played with him or without him. It's not about you, it's about trying to win championships....

"For the highest-paid player on the team to have that type of attitude, man, that's cancer through a team. I just feel like they're doing the right thing, keep on moving, but even if he do come back, he's gonna have to earn respect from the guys in the locker room, and that's gonna be tough....You got the highest-paid person on the team that don't want to show up to a mandatory camp and he just got paid $21 million three months ago. Me personally, I could never stand next to a guy like that, because I don't know where his mind's at, and he looks to me like he's selfish."

And then there's the main event, Ray Lewis. The zillion-time Pro Bowler was also on with LaVar and Dukes, and while the initial question about Haynesworth was sort of vague and not really focused on No. 92, the question's subtext was clear.

"Your days of long suffering, of pain, of working out and countless hours of suffering, they're for a reason," Lewis said. "To fulfill a legacy, chasing something. And nowadays, where everything gets this dispute here, and I don't want to do this, I don't want to do that. See, when I was coming up, we didn't have that choice, to tell an adult -- no matter who it was -- what we weren't gonna do."

Since this was all pretty vague -- and there was loads more -- Chad Dukes finally asked Lewis how he would handle a situation similar to the Haynesworth one.

"I mean, I don't have to create a response," Lewis replied. "The response is, whatever you want me to do coach, let's get it done. If you want to switch the defense because you think it'll work better in a 3-4 -- I played in a 4-3 my whole life, but we switched up to a 3-4.

"Ok, Ray, you're gonna have to take on more guards, you're gonna have to do this and that.

"Ok, coach, I'll adjust. Do I like it? Hmm, nah. But I'll adjust, so let's do it, you know what I'm saying? And through that process, I won the defensive player of the year in the 4-3 in 2000, and in 2003 I came back and won the defensive player of the year in the 3-4. So it don't matter. Bottom line. Bottom line. Football is football, man,...

"No matter what the scheme is, y'all work together as businessmen to get it done. Because that's ultimately what it is, it's a business, so let's come to work and let's work together to figure this out. Ok, what best fits you? Ok, well, let's go to this sometimes, and then sometimes you don't like it, then we'll switch back to a 4-3, so play with that. But all of this? No, too much. Too much."

Arrington is obviously very passionate about this issue as well, and he responded with many strong words of his own, to which Lewis then responded with great feeling.

"Without even going long-winded, the word is, bottom line, respect," Lewis said. "The power of respect is never to disrespect. That's it. Just don't ever disrespect the game, because the game will be here, always. Always. All of our time has to pass, and bro, I don't speak down on him at all. I would love to have a conversation with him, to say to [whom] much is given much is required, brother.

"Sometimes you got to do things you ain't want to do to get something you ain't never got. So be ok with it. But you can't always win selfishly. If you always win selfishly, then I don't know what the walk of Jesus ever represented then. You're not winning. You're not winning. And that's the things that I would relate to him. Going back to answer the question, if I was one of the spokesmen or leaders on that team, I would say bro, look, I understand you. But look, let's work this out another way. Let's get pissed of at somebody that we gotta deal with for 16 weeks,

"And whatever it takes for brotherhood to be formed, that's what needs to be done. You can take it off the field and I still preach it to every young man that i speak to: do not try to walk through this life by your self. That's a lonely war. That's a lonely war. And when you find yourself in the midst, in the midst of these peaks and valleys, it's too much to deal with yourself bro. And money blinds all of us. Money ain't the root of all evil, it's the love of it, and these are the things that are being lost."

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 21, 2010; 11:47 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Odds on D.C.'s next title team
Next: D.C. United reacts to U.S. goal

Comments

Ray-Ray has come a long way from his stabbing days. He's definitely a leader of men. Fat Albert can only lead men to the buffet line.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | June 21, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Sally Jenkins counts. She writes solely to contradict popular opinion on whatever subject people happen to be most in agreement on at the moment. She'd write a column arguing that the sky is green with yellow stripes if the Post let her.

Posted by: Fozzie1 | June 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I honestly believe that it's not about the scheme. Haynesworth is simply overwhelmed by the expectations in DC, and can't take it. He probably has some anxiety disorder, and needs to play in Jacksonville or something. Poor guy!

Posted by: wisdom80 | June 21, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Dan Steinberg,

Man-o-man you are scraping the bottom of the barrel for something to say. Next you're going to go read graffiti in rest stop men's rooms to find out what people have had to say on Haynesworth.

Get a life and move on.

Posted by: 44fx290 | June 21, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Seriously is it necessary to repeat everything that goes on on local radio? Is it really that newsworthy? Talk about trying to fill space with nuthin.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 21, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think Sally Jenkins counts."

Yeah, I didn't like Sally's article either. It seemed too based upon her own opinion and not the facts. It's like she turned on the TV one day, heard what was being said and wrote an article about it.

One thing about Ray Lewis, like him or hate him: he always plays 100%.

"Take Keith Bullock, for example. The veteran linebacker is Haynesworth's former teammate, considers him a good friend, and has talked to him this offseason."

I'm in real estate and I always tell people you should "talk to the neighbors" when buying a home.

The neighbors always know best, and so do players.

"It's like, man, you're making it harder for us to get paid."

Do you really think he cares?(see Keith Bullocks comments)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 21, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

@Wisdom80: Please don't ever describe Haynesworth as "Poor guy" ever again.

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | June 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Damn, where's Moses Malone's translator when you need him?

Posted by: truke | June 21, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Shanny: Albert, we need you in our 3-4.
Fat Albert: I gots mines, I gots mines.
Agent: It would be better to trade Mr. Haynesworth.
Fans: Special teams, weight requirements, nose tackle for Fat Albert. Make him either earn his $ on the field or through humiliation and disrespect.

Posted by: KDSmallJr | June 21, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow it's hard to follow a guy that speaks terrible English but if I understand him correctly it's well said.

Posted by: Mike4169 | June 21, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Sally is a joke. She normally demonizes men/sports but when she has an opportunity to put her poison pen to good use, she blows it. Just proves my theory that she's a 'Title IX' hire, nothing more.

Jenkins is not much different than Big Baby Gravy; they both do a halfazzed job and get paid for it.

Posted by: kahlua87 | June 21, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of what some mentally deficient people might say Dan, I'm a huge Redskins fan but no longer live in the DC area. I feel the same pain (and often times disgust) from week to week that the local fan base feels. I don't have the luxury of listening to local radio to follow My Team, so your reports are a pleasure to follow. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: motiongrfx | June 21, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Damn, where's Moses Malone's translator when you need him?

Posted by: truke | June 21, 2010 1:18 P

On the gulf cost helping the fishermen translate.

Posted by: ged0386 | June 21, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"The power of respect is never to disrespect. That's it. Just don't ever disrespect the game, because the game will be here, always."

Love it.

Posted by: JulzDC | June 21, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Did these dudes go to the John Thompson School of English??

Please, someone, anyone, order these idiots Hooked on Phonics!

Mix in a freaking speak-n-spell, maybe some flash cards or Rosetta Stone (English of course).

The one thing I can say positive about Albert Haynes-Girth is that he is articulate and at least SOUNDS like an educated human - if nothing else.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | June 21, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I bet he would dominate in a 2-11!

Posted by: smshadowman | June 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@rmcazz

Fair weather?

Posted by: hessone | June 21, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

English as a FIRST language would be a great start for these guys..too many head shots eh? I be this, he be dat, if you axe me......oh the horror..."I'm gonna find me a way to make a play"...."Sometimes you got to do things you ain't want to do to get something you ain't never got."....Translate: Sometimes a coach will ask you to play a position that, although you may not like it, that will allow you to win a Superbowl....okay, I'm done.

Posted by: nowhine | June 21, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I say give this Haynesworth thing a rest already. Either let him go or trade him. After awhile it gets old. Move on to how you are going to win some games this year! I am tired of seeing all the fans build you up and then get let down. Personally I am not a football fan, but my family is so I keep up with some of what's going on in the football, but this is boring.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., Go Basketball, Go Wizards!

Posted by: paulaburto3 | June 21, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I have a new found respect for Ray Lewis. Haynesworth really needs to reach out to Ray so he can help him get his head on straight. Good job Ray.

Posted by: carterm1 | June 21, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

NOWHINE:

That was hilarious...but true. ROTFL.

Posted by: carterm1 | June 21, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Ray Lewis' verbal syntax may not be appropriate for an English 101 course. But, Ray's actions speak for themselves.

Number 52 not only "talks the talk, he walks the walk." Has there been a better NFL defensive unit than the Ravens since 2000? Ray Lewis is a leader of men.

Or you can have the Albert Haynesworth speaking the Queen's English, but unable to report to OTA's.

Posted by: musicmanjr | June 21, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Preach it, Ray. Wish you were a Redskin all these years.

Posted by: brian71490 | June 21, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Gee, thanks Ray. Why don't you send your knife-wielding posse over for an attitude adjustment.

Just because someone puts a microphone in your face doesn't mean you should speak.

Trade Haynesworth for a ham sandwich - make the worthless couch potato someone else's problem.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | June 21, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Dysfunctional Leadership = Dysfunctional Results! All Hail...

Posted by: rlomax67 | June 21, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

eh- stop wasting time trying to hold a translation of casual colloquial conversations up for ridicule... if you don't get it, ya don't get it!

(but then again, i speak fluent 'jim rome', 'charlie daniels', 'paula deen', AND john thompson jr...)

Posted by: audiohysteria | June 21, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

If Haynesworth had a smaller ego and a bigger brain, he would have realized the way to maximize his trade potential (and get what he wants) would be to show up, train hard, play hard, and then tell the powers that be that he wanted a trade before the 2011 season began. If no trade developed, then he could act like the spoiled, self-absorbed malinger that appears to be his natural state. By bypassing the first step he has made it unlikely that he will end up where he wants to play.

Posted by: theStockman | June 21, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Why would you quote Sally Jenkins? She's not credible.

Posted by: anw821 | June 21, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing to me to hear people criticize Ray Lewis' words and how where's someone's translator. The point is he is absolutely correct! I don't care how broken his english is or how grammatically incorrect it may have been your sarcastic asses know exactly what he's talking about and you damn sure know he;s right!

Posted by: clwalker1906 | June 21, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: theStockman | June 21, 2010 4:26 PM

all fat A$$ AH had to do is not cash that check and the redskins were going to cut him lose free and clear its not like he didnt already rob them 12 mill for playing in 12 games lol and thats with takeing 1 out of every 3 downs off what a loser of a person he is.

Posted by: ltpeach2 | June 21, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

This issue is not about whether or not you like Haynesworth. The Redskins organization doesn't get it. The Keith Bullocks or Ray Lewises don't get it. The fans like some of you w/your thinly veiled comments like, "Damn, where's Moses Malone's translator when you need him" don't get it.

Most fans really don't have a clue what a nose tackle does or what is a zero technique? So let's not talk about the difference between a 4-3 and 3-4. The first issue is not showing up voluntary workouts. Every time a team who has loftier expectations than what is realistic has a bad season, a coaching change occurs, then we've all got to come together and practice all offseason, together. It's voluntary workouts and it's part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. It was put in place to protect players from unnecessary injury and give them some type of quality of life. Yes, even millionaires are guaranteed that. Already players have lost to injury this season because of "voluntary" workouts. There is nothing voluntary about. Show up or piss off the coach. Give me a break. This is a Curt Flood scenario and the NFLPA needs to step up.

As for whether he should give the money back, are you crazy. That was the contract. Blame Snyder as a bad negotiator, but also blame him for making a promise he never intended to keep: Playing him at the position they sought him out for.

I'll end w/this. We can learn a lot from the French soccer team. They didn't like how team officials treated one of their players and they took a stand. London Fletcher and his NFL colleagues could learn something from that. Or at least they could read William C. Rhoden's, 40 Million Dollar Slaves and they might be develop a more enlightended view on how they are percieved and how to persevere when they take the road less traveled.

Posted by: ktaylor15 | June 21, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ktaylor15 | June 21, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff from Ray. Shows what's in a winner's heart.

Funny how people do the same thing with their negative posts... dark hearts.

Posted by: johnvandermyde | June 21, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

NICE CUT AND PASTE KTAYLOR15 I GUESS YOU KNOW BETTER THEN PRO BOWL PLAYERS THAT PLAY TEAM FOOTBALL FOR A LIVEING GET REAL MAN!!!!

Posted by: ltpeach2 | June 21, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

AH is not a team player and football is a team sport. He is all me, me, me and this is unacceptable. IMO even if he did a total turn around, it is not going to help, his career is damaged.

Posted by: ladyredskins | June 21, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert is a sorry excuse for a football player! He is a big baby! Mentally he is "Terrell Owens II" mixed up with Shawn Andrews (formerly of Eagles). Why is he so scared of the 3-4 defense? Why can't he "man up" to the challenge? Why can't he set an example for good team-manship, discipline and unity. This is why. He is a SELFISH, GREEDY, THIEVING LIAR, AND A CHEAT!! ...by the way, did I ever tell you that I don't like him? (lol). On a different note, we need to curb this "runaway train" of overpaying athletes, while teachers struggle to make a living. What's wrong with this world!!!!!!

Posted by: Yo_Mo | June 21, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

ktaylor15 - When someone is hired for a job they go on an interview and express why they would be good for the company, and what they will do to deserve the money. Then they are expected to live up to those promises. Fat Albert made those kind of statements when he was signed. We read and watched him make those promises. He took the money, then came in fat and out of shape. What don't you get about that? So he missed organized team activities with a new coaching staff and showed his disinterest in playing and being a team member, no deal breaker there. Then he missed mandatory team activities. Big Problem. Did Albert demand a clause in his contract saying he would not be asked to play in a 3-4 defense. No one says he did, so wheres the beef? Did Shanahan say he could play DE on some sets, wheres Fat Albert? Did Albert play so well last year that he made it illogical to switch to a different defense? I don't think so. Should the Redskins allow the defense to be built around a selfish, lazy, fat, uncaring player? Won't happen. Fat Albert the thirty million dollar thief will never admit to himself that he has a problem with integrity. He cant, it would hurt too much, so he will just continue through life thinking the world rotates around him and that that rotation takes 20 million light years. With all these discussions it proves that you can not teach integrity to grown ups. You either have learned it by now or you are clueless. Any poll you take would produce a majority of people who believe that when you get paid to do something you do it, not look for excuses in a way to take the easy way out. I believe now he does not even want to play football, anywhere. He wants to sit on his fat ass and stuff his face. When the prostitute gets ten million from him and he spends the rest he will be on the street drinking ripple out of a brown paper bag.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | June 21, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

ktaylor15 - There was so much cr@p in you post that I forgot about the remark of the French soccer team. What is it that other players should learn from this. I don't understand. Should they go on strike to support a player who does not care about the team? Should they support a player who tried to get them to commit mutiny last Christmas? Should they admire the way he sucked wind during games when he didn't come to camp in shape. Should they feel good about Fat Albert when they are sweating in the sun during OTA's while he's out on the water in his speed boat? Should they be impressed with him taking millions of dollars in bonus money and then not show up while making it harder for them to get a good contract? If French soccer is your game, stick with it, but don't try to make American Football over to fit your sense of right and wrong. There are plenty of problems with football but being different from French soccer isn't one of them. American athletes are first and foremost, warriors. They don't quit, they don't forsake their teammates. They keep going when others quit mentally and physically. They sacrifice, their time, bodies, relationships, and their lives for the love of the game. Some do all these things, like a Pete Rose or Jerry Rice, others just some of those things, but they all sacrifice and hate to quit. For them to see someone like Fat Albert quit, on his couch, with a bon bon in his mouth is sickening. So many of us would gladly sacrifice to be in his position. He makes us sick.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | June 21, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Screw Lavar, screw Dukes, screw Dockett, Lewis, all of 'em! No one cares about this crap but them. And it also sounds a little like sour grapes when you don't have a max deal like Albert - but screw Albert too!!!

Get on with the guys you have. They're here and working hard to compete for a spot. A little competition goes a long way and maybe it'll bring the team more than 4 wins.

Get on with it! Just win baby, just win!

Posted by: BenThere | June 21, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

ktaylor15 ok Albert, get your fat ass off the couch and earn your paycheck.

I'd agree with some of the things the people sticking up for the fat guy are saying if the Skins didnt give him the option to leave before he took the money. How many Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors and Marines have died honoring their contract? Imagine where our country would be right now if everyone in the military used their MGIB and didnt honor their commitment to the American citizens. People die for you Albert, for contracts 1/100,000,000 of the one you signed.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | June 21, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

ktaylor15 ok Albert, get your fat ass off the couch and earn your paycheck.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | June 21, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

It's the Redskins fault. Dan's fault for signing him and AGREEING to the dumb contract ($32 mill after 1 year). Vinny's fault for being the GM when the deal went down. Shanny's fault for keeping Fat Albert on the team as of April 1st when HE could have cut him and cut the Skins fat loss. Dan's fault again...for cutting a check for $21 mill on April 1st when he didn't have to.

For you saying "why did Fat Albert cash the check?". Simple really: because the afore-mentioned dummies wrote the check or made it happen.

If YOU paid a contractor UPFRONT to build you a house, and they skipped town, YOU are the dummy - not the contractor that cashed YOUR check.

Posted by: kedavis | June 21, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Steinberg you missed it on this one... didn't like the week of Albert Haynesworth pieces that you wrote. I get nauseous just thinking about it. I had you at the top of the chain in my book for the WP writers. I think it now goes Wilbon > Reid > Steinberg > Canfora (if he even still writes for WP). Sally Jenkins... best known for writing books with Lance Armstrong, not exactly football is it? Don't respect her opinion, so didn't include her in that list, and probably shouldn't quote her... essentially you just quoted someone you work with. I wish I had a job where I could goto the water cooler and quote/write about what some of my coworkers said. I am also disgusted you quoted Pro Football Talk/Rumors -- thats all they are good for, Rumors. Dan its time to get your weight up and step up your game.

Posted by: lsx981 | June 21, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

kedavis

How much did you have to drink before that post!!!???

If someone pays a contractor to do a job and said contractor skips town, guess what.... They are a criminal and can be prosecuted under the law!!

I can't believe I wasted 30 sec of my life reading that crap! You are a MORON!!!

Posted by: skins91r | June 22, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

my vision of the first home preseason game: announcer - Albert Haynesworth! appropiate response from fans for five minutes. then announcer: And now your Washington Redskins!! appropriate response from fans,and then announcer goes into the the traditional player intros.

This is what Albert deserves to get from the fans and what the fans deserve to give to Albert for as long he is here. Make it so Skins.

Posted by: kljohnson1248 | June 22, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

skins91
No, Dan and the Skins are the losing morons, as WE aLL are again reading about THEIR offseason adventures of dysfunction and stupidity. Fat Al is smart as he has $32 mill after ONE year of 4-12 sub-par play.

Posted by: kedavis | June 22, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

skins91

Posted by: kedavis | June 22, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I believe Lewis gets at the heart of the issue when he addresses Haynesworth's apparent lack of desire "to fulfill a legacy." It seemed that the players of the past, and some like Lewis today, were driven by that. They wanted to be part of a championship team, they wanted to named All-Pro, they wanted to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. They considered what would make them proud in the years after their playing days were over. They considered their contributions to the game and worked to achieve them. They recognized something -- a team, a game, a history -- greater than themselves.

Haynesworth and those players of like mind don't consider the future. They exist in the here and now, and in the singular first person, only. He got his money, and that's enough for him. That was the end, period. Given their physical attributes, Lewis and Hayneworth should be comparable as dominant players. But their divergent opinions on this situation help explain why Lewis will be a first ballot Hall of Famer and Hayneworth won't be inducted.

Posted by: warren85 | June 22, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: warren85 | June 22, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Fat Albert is in the wrong sport. He's got native athleticism, is big, overweight and has no interest in being part of a team. Its obvious that sumo wrestling was his calling but he missed it. Sumo wrestlers get fed several times a day and get to take naps in the afternoon. The only problem is any good sumo wrestler is required to live a life of discipline and show respect for his trainers and his sport. Oops. Let's keep looking.

Posted by: DevH | June 22, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Speak Ray, SPEAK!! (or should I say Preach Ray, PREACH!!) My man -- too bad Big Al is all about himself; wonder how that's gonna work out for him in the end. Somehow, you gotta know it won't end well (can you say Raiders here he comes?)

Posted by: guisher | June 22, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

When I watched Ryan Clark popping guys in the Steelers secondary (as a starting safety on the SuperBowl winning team) while Archuleta collected a record contract for a safety...I knew we had some knuckleheads in the front office.

I liked Sallys article. Snyder was a fool for offering a dumb contract to a guy with "attitude issues". It's not like Albert had a pristine background as a D lineman on the field and alter boy off field.

If you put filet mignon in a dogs bowl...you are a fool if you get mad at the dog when the steak is gone.

Don't put steak in a dogs bowl, dumba$$.

And if a guy doesn't want to play here, cut him loose. We have enough locker room cancers to start our own Mayo clinic.

Get what you can get from a trade and learn the lesson this time. Don't sign record contracts for free agents and expect loyalty. You'll do better...much better, building through the draft and promoting from within.

Ask Ryan Clark.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | June 22, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I bet Fat Albert operates under the illusion that some team will welcome him with open arms. More likely fire arms.

Posted by: chopin224 | June 22, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Someone said it better than all of us

"Don't put steak in a dogs bowl, dumba$$."

That was Sally's point about karma and hard lessons not learned and repeated annually. Didn't Deion want out after 1 sub-par year and $8 mill + a pretty gold suit - LOL

Yep

Posted by: kedavis | June 22, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

shut up and play YOU FAT BASTARD

Posted by: ecartola | June 22, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

***********
***********

She's a columnist. She's paid to give her "own" opinion. Reporters report facts (or "other" opinions). Columnists give opinion.

Posted by: garrena1 | June 22, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Is Albert Haynesworth French??

Posted by: ChuckInSF | June 22, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

How is this the Redskins' fault? The lazy bum was signed to a 5 year (?) contract. There was money up front in the first year, good negotiating by his agent. He's still being paid by the Redskins to perform his job...last week he refused to do so. He knew the Skins were converting to a different defense from last year. The head coach gave him the "heads-up" prior to paying him $21M (again PART of his contract). He decided to take the money, KNOWING the defense was changing. Eff this guy.. He's no Redskin...please stay home. Hail!!

Posted by: Smiley2 | June 22, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

smiley2, it's the Skins fault because THEY are the only dumb team that offered the "lazy bum" the dumb deal. Notice the other 31 teams are not in the same boat with the "lazy bum", just these annual offseason idiots. I'll bet you clapped when they signed the "lazy bum" last summer, just as you did when they signed (fill in the blank) the past 10 summers only to stay average with a player here and there for $10 mill per year (Gibbs II salary) or other overpaid folk. Hope that covers it again for you, as Sally and others have tried.

Posted by: kedavis | June 22, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

If the 'skins paid him 21 million, Haynesworth owes them. If he's so unhappy, tell him to give the money back and go get a job somewhere else. This is going to be around for a long time, to Haynesworth's disadvantage in every respect. He's the 21st Century Benedict Arnold.

Posted by: 21stCenturyCaveman | June 22, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

What's worse - assault with an automobile (Albert), or assault with a handgun(Ray Lewis) (or was that just your peeps)?

Posted by: jburnetti | June 22, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

kedavis, The Redskins were offering LESS than TampaBay but Big Al came to the Redskins instead! Vinny was not the only dumb a$$ trying to get Big Al signed! Big Al said that Tampa was offering more money but he wanted to come to the Redskins!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | June 22, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | June 22, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

vexed50verizonnet
Name the ONE dumb team that actually signed this fool to a dumb $32 mill deal after ONE sub-par season of 4-12?

Was it Tampa?
Nope

Are wse reading/hearing about Tampa today and Fat Al?
Nope

Then what's your point about the Bucs?

Posted by: kedavis | June 23, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

yo mo wrote:

_________________________________________

What an overly simplistic piece of crap. Football is the entertainment business and as long as people pay to see them play they are not overpaid. Actors are paid in a similar fashion, as long as people pay to see their movies they are not overpaid. This is a reality of life. The fact that you are on this blog commenting about football shows the kind of influence that the game has. Also, it is also crap what Ray Lewis is saying, wait until two or three years from now when they cut him and see if he will be saying that. Somehow in the court of public opionion the owners have been allowed to villainize the players in the eyes of the fans. Derelle Revis performed at a high level came to every practice and outperformed everyone in his profession and they don't want to compensate him. Chris Johnson same thing, they are in the top two people in the world at their craft, the team tells them to play out their contracts. How can a running back wait to play out his contract to renegotiate when he has a career expectancy of around 8 or 9 years. NFL Owners treat the players as chattle and the only way a player can contest his salary or playing conditions is to withold their services. John Riggins sat out a whole year. Joe Montana an Jerry Rice did not retire as 49ers and still had productive years in Oakland and Kansas City respectively.

Posted by: impartial1 | June 23, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's me, but isn't it the norm that when you get paid to work for someone, you do what THEY want YOU to do?

I agree with Albert on one thing: he would be better in a 4 - 3, and i believe that the Redskins would be better also...didn't their defensive ends have 11 sacks apiece last year? He has to get some credit for that...

Having said that, Albert took the $21 million, and if the Redskins want him to kiss Snyder's a## for the money, it their prerogative...he can verbally express his concerns/qualms/trepidations, and if it's really a problem for him, he can GIVE THE MONEY BACK...that's a novel concept...

Posted by: bbsharpe23 | June 23, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: audiohysteria | June 21, 2010 4:20 PM
==============================

Me too.

and for 8 years we were all fluent in George W. Bush mis-under-educated english.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | June 24, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

If you dont think Sally is finally getting it right you havent been watching Dannyball for the last 10 years.
This is all on Danny, Danny paid him more money then has EVER been paid for a defensive lineman. Most of these star players, are so full of themselves they're going to pump the system for whatever they can get.
Albert doesnt want to play nose tackle, he will show up for mandatory camp, they will make a trade for him, they will eat the money they blew on him, they will be a better TEAM without Albert.
But Albert still wins, his agent is a genius,his agent will win highly ranked players because of this, and the rest of the league is still laughing at DANNY.

Posted by: dannyboyrules | June 24, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworthless is the most over-rated DL in history. Everyone is caught up in this mindset that he is a great player because of his athletic ability. BS. His body can't withstand the rigors of a regular NFL game.

You measure a player by productivity. He started 12 games last year, and only finished half of those. He had 27 tackles, 8 assists, and 4 sacks. Below average numbers for a DL. Then when you factor in that he is supposed to be a superstar, and factor in the money, he turns out to be the Redskins biggest BUST ever!

I don't care if people say "well he takes on double-teams to free up other players to make plays". We didn't see a whole lot of that last year as the defense declined worse than it has been in 5 years. I don't buy it.

Put him on the top of the list as the NFL's biggest FA bust ever.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | June 25, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

They need to create a new contract addendum for head cases. List the standard Haynesworth behaviors (telling coaches how to run the team, complaining the program is wrong for my skills, missing practices, getting in trouble with the law, etc.) and a violation costs, say, $30 million.

Posted by: kls1 | June 26, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Redskins don't need Ray Lewis weighing in on Redskin business. I didn't hear skins weighing in on Ray when he and his posse was doing felonies in Atlanta. How do you go from killer to poster boy in one year.

Posted by: elderdave1 | June 27, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

First, I'd like to dress down each of the idiots, morons and closeted racists posting here about these player's "bad English". That's right, I've played the race card. But, you'd have to be in some state of denial to miss the fact that that's what THEY were doing!

I mean, what was the point of mentioning grammar when it was the substance of their EXPERT opinions that mattered?? Surely, these off-topic comments are from whimpy, couch potato, doughboys who resent the fact that despite the poor grammar, these guys do a job the commentators could NEVER do....AND they make more money each season than the commentators make in a lifetime!!

As for Haynesworth, he's a LOSER. He got paid many millions to soldier for the Redskins. They paid him, then gave him a new assignment and he played the prima donna. A soldier doesn't pick his assignments, he EXECUTES his assignment. Fat @ss needs to learn that.

Posted by: nico231 | June 28, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

you guys gotta get off this "language" thing. most folk in this country do NOT use "proper" english except when in a formal setting... and in football, proper english won't broaden your paycheck or even get you a free drink of cold water. don't be a snob.

Posted by: dcjazzman | June 28, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse