The Braves fan in the white polo shirt

Meet White Polo Shirt Man. He's the worst baseball fan in America.

Somewhere around the middle innings on Monday night, he decided he should take advantage of his front-row seats for the Fifth Day of Strasmas to make a spectacle of himself on national television. And so he began waving at the camera.

But this wasn't just your typical half-inning of goofy, reserved front-row waving, followed by laughter into a cell phone. This White Polo Shirt Man was waving like a traffic controller attempting to prevent a head-on collision on every pitch, before the pitch and after. He was standing up and raising his arms, exposing his belly. He was making the safe sign when the first pitch to a Braves batter was out of the strike zone, celebrating a 1-0 count as if the Braves had just won a world championship, even as no one around him flinched. He was raising his palms in disgusted outrage when balls thrown over the plate were called for strikes, and fist-pumping his way to utopia when balls thrown off the plate were called as balls.

I would have suggested that he light himself on fire, but that seems to be a bad career move in these parts.

White Polo Shirt Man caught the attention of Rob Dibble and Bob Carpenter during MASN's broadcast, and they weren't fans, either.

"Bob, check this guy out over here," Dibble said in the bottom of the sixth. "This guy right over here. He's waving every time Stephen Strasburg goes to throw a pitch, he's either standing up or he's waving. Not much right now distracting the kid. Here you see him waving over there. Hey buddy, get a life."

"Buddy, you're sitting in a $300 seat," Carpenter agreed. "Act like a man."

"Act like a man, I like that," Dibble said approvingly. "Laying down the gauntlet."

And for the second time in 24 hours, I have to agree with Dibble. Anyhow, it was a strange day all around for Braves fans. From Kilgore:

The 42,889 at Turner Field -- 21,608 of which bought tickets in the previous five days -- actually chanted "Over-rated!"

I think "over-rated" can be an excellent fan move in the proper context, as can making the safe sign. This was not the proper context.

(And apologies for the non-HD TV pictures, the problem was mine, not MASN's. See more at Hardball Talk.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 29, 2010; 11:58 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Baltimore rages at MASN's Riggins ad
Next: John Wall, Gilbert Arenas and the gym

Comments

Who gave John Malone such a good seat?

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | June 29, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Meet White Polo Shirt Man. He's the worst baseball fan in America not named Zack Hample.

/Fixed

Posted by: StudentofTheGame | June 29, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

It takes all kinds. I have watched many games since the centerfield shot took over from the high over the plate shot in the late sixties. Most people tend to ignore the fact they are on camera. Hopefully, his friends clued him in today that he looked like an idiot.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | June 29, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm sticking to watching Stras games on TV from now on. After two Strasmas Day visits to Nats Park, it's clear that the hype surrounding our ace brings every part-time sports fan/full-time moron out of the woodwork.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

meh. Just remember this guy the next time people start to accuse Atlanta of having no fans.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | June 29, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

If that guy was sitting next to me he would have been waxed in the first inning.

Posted by: johnbarrett1 | June 29, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

what about steve bartman? i still think he is the worst fan ever...god bless his soul.

white collared shirt guy kinda kicks ace.

Posted by: rtramonte5500 | June 29, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I had to listen to all the Strausburg hype since he broke onto the scene. Last night's game was my introduction to the next "CY YOUNG."

All I can say is I WAS NOT IMPRESSED. It's funny to me how ESPN and MLB then could downplay how mediocre he pitched. I watched a bunch of walks and K's (with the help of the umps generous calls). I watched Strausburg let up a leadoff walk to Chipper and a hit to McCann. I watched chipper run the bases like the HOF he is and break up the double play (that was blamed on the NATS defense).

Strausburg pitched against the Pirates, White Sox (Pre Winning Streak), Indians, and Royals (LOSS).

Last Night, I watched Strausburg lose to the first real test of his "Cy Young" arm.

TURNER FIELD WAS ELECTRIC LAST NIGHT, THANKS STEVE!

The Guy in the white shirt was just excited because he was watching the Braves, do it for Bobby.

GO BRAVES!

Posted by: GOBRAVES2010 | June 29, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Looks like fun, I'd do the same thing given those seats.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 29, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I watched the game. That guy was a total DB and, needless to say, a complete tool. How embarassing for anyone with him, and annoying he must have been to others around him. Hope this Bog posting makes its way to this guy so he can see what a fool he looked like last night.

Posted by: thebone | June 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

As I watched White Shirt Guy, I found myself wishing that there wasn't a net behind the plate. Yeah, I know. That's just wrong. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 29, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I'll do it for you, Dan:

White Polo Shirt Guy needs to self-immolate.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | June 29, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

To the Braves dope:

Are you an idiot or just a hater?

Strasburg held the 2nd best team in the NL to zero runs into the 7th inning. If it werent for a booted double play ball who knows how much longer he would have cont'd to shut the Braves out. Thank Desmond for that one.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | June 29, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

No doubt, the Braves would trade any two pitchers they have on there roster (ANY TWO) for Strasburg...no questions asked, no doubt about it.

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 29, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

This guy is clearly a d-bag but get a load of that wingspan- arms like an albatross- it's distracting and yet impressive.

Posted by: wheresgibbs | June 29, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@ GOBRAVES2010: Interesting that you weren't impressed with Strasburg's stuff last night. He wasn't either. Strasburg himself said he was battling himself all night long. Regardless, he still threw 6 innings of scoreless ball and had a double play grounder go through the shortstop's legs.

-He walked 2 batters, Hudson walked 3.
-Rick Sutcliffe (ESPN) said that despite the hype, he was "impressed".
-Turner Field was at 86% capacity last night.

Please get your keyboard fixed, it keeps capitalizing words that should be lower case.

Posted by: GeorgeTowner2 | June 29, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

A simple truth revealed. GOBRAVES2010 is the guy in the white shirt.

Posted by: mojo6 | June 29, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Braves fan here in Atlanta. I was watching on tv and saw this idiot also. I thought he was arguing with the ump but who knows. probably first game ever. Strasburg was definately worth the hype. That change-up is devastating. Also, he threw somw curves that I believe blew the ump's mind and should have been strikes. Good win for the Braves but I really enjoyed that kid pitching. He is gonna be something.

Posted by: wareagle3 | June 29, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's that watching the Nats is getting harder and harder, but I couldn't take my eyes off that DB last night. What a freak! I'm surprised none of the fans around him said anything or called for an usher. I would be so angry if I paid $300 for a seat and had to sit next to him.

Posted by: tystoneman | June 29, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

White Polo Shirt guy was doing it versus Hudson at times too I noticed.

Posted by: HogsHaven | June 29, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

White Polo Shirt was pi$$ing me off last night. Get a life.

Posted by: dank32 | June 29, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

If I recall correctly, back in the mid '80s there was an old lady who would sit behind the home plate at Shea Stadium and when the pitcher was in the wind up, she would rotate her hands one over the other in a fast circle. It was terrible.

Posted by: jackstraaw | June 29, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Maybe White Polo shirt guy was the Capstronaut on a road trip.

Posted by: bbride1 | June 29, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I think a Strasburg fastball might have broken through the net....

Twirling arms lady was the first thing I thought of too after reading this article

Posted by: dbuggs | June 30, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Let me think about that for a nanosecond. The answer is no-not even close.

Posted by: markhjones | June 30, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

The Nats fans can be just as bad...for the first two innings of the Mets-Nats game tonight there was an entire family of doofuses sitting behind home plate on the cell phones waving and making faces like idiots. The six year old girl waving the gang signs was particularly distasteful. I'm not a Yankees fan, but at Yankee Stadium if you have the seats behind home plate so you're on camera a lot, the ushers give you the smackdown if you talk on your cell phone!

Posted by: watthree | July 2, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse