Theismann: Daniel Snyder's legacy starts now

(2009 photo by Joel Richardson - TWP)

One of the first bits of sports news I heard on Monday morning was a good one: Joe Theismann has joined Twitter. That also reminded me of something: Joe Theismann believes in Daniel Snyder.

Remember two weeks ago when Theismann went on SIRIUS NFL Radio's "The Sirius Blitz" and lit into Albert Haynesworth, saying ol' 92 is "classless" and "offers nothing as a person, as a player, as a teammate." He was also asked more generally about the Skins franchise, and I forgot to write down his remarks at the time. He's about as sunny as anyone I've ever heard, especially concerning the guy in the corner office.

"It's nice to hear people finally recognize what Daniel Snyder's trying to do," Theismann said. "He has a terrific team of head office people right now. I mean, he now has the position of owner, and there's a very distinctive position with Bruce as the general manager and Mike as the coach.

"So really, you have defined roles now on the football team, where in the past it was a little bit skewed. It was almost like let's blame Daniel for everything, let's blame him for the coach, let's blame him for the general manager, let's blame him for everything. And what's he's done, I think done a very good job of, is sitting down, looking at his football team. And truthfully, I believe going forward from here will be his legacy.

"Before, you're right, I think he went out and got high-profile people thinking that that might be the answer. But have any of us entered a new field or a new era of our life and said that I have it all figured out, I know exactly how it's supposed to work, I've got the formula? No. And that's what Dan has done. Dan has been able to now go through the 10 years, to understand exactly what he needs to as an owner and what he needs to have to have his football team have a chance to be successful. In the NFC East, they have as good a chance to win that division as anybody."

I mean, I'm all for learning curves in any profession. I certifiably stunk at my job for years, and possibly still do. Ten years, though (and it's really 11) seems like a fairly long learning curve.

Anyhow, Theismann also looked back at the disastrous 2009 season, and said that with any sort of offensive line, that team could have been five games better.

"Again, the success of the Washington Redskins will really revolve around five guys: the five guys up front on offense," he said. "It was their Achilles' heel a year ago....I could give you five football games that the Redskins, if they'd gotten any protection or a break at all would have won: Carolina. New Orleans. Philly. Dallas a couple times. I mean, they were right there, and just couldn't get it done at the end. So you're looking at a team that could have been 9-7 vs 4-12 very easily."

I absolutely agree. I also think the Nationals could have very easily swept the Orioles this past weekend.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 28, 2010; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall on Eric Prisbell's story
Next: Jammal Brown on Albert Haynesworth

Comments

OK,Joe. The last 10 YEARS don't count?
The clock has been ticking quite a while on D.S.'s legacy.

Posted by: ridgely1 | June 28, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

LOL...riiiight, his legacy starts from HERE on out...like the past 10 years were just TRAINING.

GTFOH with that BS...His legacy was that he tried to USURP the team history from the Cooke Family and rewrite it as his own instead of adding to it.

This is beyond winning and losing now. They can win a SB or 3 and he'll still be a pariah.

Other than whipping out the checkbook, he treats people poorly; he has bad karma. He's not a standup guy. He sues old ladies and prevents folks from WALKING across the street for 'their safety', revokes free speech by banning signs, refuses to address ticket waiting list issues dating back 10 plus years and on and on.

Posted by: kahlua87 | June 28, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Kahlua, those are EXCELLENT points! Snyder is the reason why I gave up my season tickets. I got tired of making him richer and getting little to nothing in return. While it's GREAT he finally has a management system in place where you have qualified people who are allowed to do their jobs, the game-day experience itself still leaves something to be desired. I'll still cheer for the Skins, but I'd be hard pressed to return to FedEx Field, knowing what I do about Snyder, which you pointed out so accurately.

Posted by: stwasm | June 28, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Joe,

Im enrolling you in for membership in AAA as you need to be towed out of Danny's butt. Can you crawl up Danny's ass any further? Theismann got lambasted to his face on the NFL network last year for being too much of a homer.

Nothing wrong with supporting the Skins but be realistic, Danny isn't all forgiven just because he brought Allen and Shanahan in.

Posted by: Davo61 | June 28, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

All execellent remarks above. I got a phone call the other day and of all things it was "Hi I'm with the Washington Redskins would you like to purchase season tickets?" Would I like to purchase season tickets!!! Are you freaking nuts! I love the Skins as much if not more than everyone else. but lets get real here. Under Snyder's watch ticket holders were sued by the Skins for not paying for their complete package (in a down economy) and then to make it worse had their sales agents tell ticket brokers hey if you want to buy these lower bowl seats you first have to get 2-4 higher priced seats that aren't selling. so what happens? We get embarrased in our own house.

So do I want to by any season tickets. Not no but H*LL NO. Not until you get back all of those lower bowl seats.

Posted by: rillbizi | June 28, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Don't we have to wait to see how DS lets Allen and Shanny operate before we say "ok, he's doing it the right way, so now he's off the hook if they still lose"?

It's not like Shanny's the first hard-nosed control-freak we've had. Remember Marty? I want to see whether DS lets Shanny operate for a couple of years without crowding him out. Especially if they struggle at first, which they probably will. THEN I'll be ready to say that DS has finally seen the error of his ways. Right now, I'm just in "so far, so good" mode.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | June 28, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Thiesmann has any idea what a buffoonish apple polisher he sounds like...these quotes are breathtakingly inane. Hard to beleive he ever played the game. Go ask Norv Turner, Schottenheimer, Gregg Williams, et al about Snyder's "legacy". Or maybe just any random fan on the street. What a joke.

Posted by: dbunkr | June 28, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Right now, I'm just in "so far, so good" mode.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | June 28, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stwasm | June 28, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Snyder's legacy has been put in stone.
He killed this franchise.

Hey Joe, a whole generation has passed since this team was relevant.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | June 28, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Joe has always been a chronic BS'er . I went to a Monday dinner the skins would host after a game and they would have a skin their to talk.I think he was #2 then behind killmer he gave a speech how he only wanted a chance and a story about his family and his daughter with a hole in her heart yada yada yada . less then 2 years later he was banging Kathy lee. Hes is a known POS

Posted by: thomasuras | June 28, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thomasuras | June 28, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thomasuras | June 28, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more with Theismann on this.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 28, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

OH MY! hessone is speechless. One thing's for sure, Theismann flips and flops like a fish out of water.

Posted by: hessone | June 28, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Barno may be the Joe Theismann of bog posters

Posted by: jpfterps | June 28, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I loved Joe as a player.
During my college years the Skins won the division three consecutive years, played in two Super Bowl's and won one, all w/ Joey T as QB.

He was physically tough, a real leader demanding the best of everyone out there in the maroon and black [laughter].

But Joe has really exhibited an in ability to evaluate the Skins objectively. I'll give him this, "Joey T loves the Washington Redskins". Yet, Joey "always sees the glass nearly full", and simply finds it difficult to be objective and admit the failures, weaknesses of this organization.

His optimism was a great asset as a QB and team leader, but Joey T needs a bit more objectivity in his analysis of the Skins.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 28, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Theismann is angling for Sonny's job after Sonny retires. Who knows when that will be, but Sonny is getting up there, and it is bound to be sooner rather than later. Here is hoping he fails...

Posted by: niceshoes1 | June 28, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Sonny's job; Sonny is still quite coherent, logical, and can objectively critique both teams.

Sam, on the other hand, has not been able to do this for several years, and frankly, I think in the last years, has even become illogical and incoherent. Sam is at times very embarrassing, and makes for an uncomfortable broadcast for Sonny and Larry.

At least that is my observation and opinion...
Anyone else?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 28, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Sam = WV

Posted by: hessone | June 28, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Being a die-hard 'Skins fan since about '74(now living in Pittsburgh, PA), and from what I have heard, Mr. Snyder needs to park his butt in a chair in the luxury box, prop his feet up on the table with a stoggie in one hand, a drink(whatever his drink of choice is)in his other hand, and leave the coaching(of which he has no business meddling in)to the coaches. Welcome to D.C., coach Shanahan.

Posted by: mbonhamwolv | June 29, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse