Theismann rips "classless" Haynesworth

There were plenty of words of criticism launched from Ashburn in the direction of Albert Haynesworth on Wednesday, most notably from London Fletcher, who said Haynesworth was "selfish" and "can't be depended upon." But if you want a real gloves-off, piece-by-piece, flying sickle takedown of the man's character, you should probably turn to Joe Theismann.

The former quarterback went on SIRIUS NFL Radio's "The Sirius Blitz" on Wednesday, and he came out spitting flesh-eating fire, saying Haynesworth was "classless," "not a team player," and "offers nothing as a person, as a player, as a teammate." Um, other than that, how was the player, Mr. Theismann?

"Lets just put it out there, we're not looking at Albert Haynesworth as a very standup individual, ok?" Theismann said. "So the fact that he took the money - which he had rightfully coming to him - doesn't surprise me. But I remember last year sitting down with him before the season, when he signed the big contract, and everybody talked about Hey look, are you gonna be a guy who gets the money and runs? And he told me point blank, he said I want to be not just the best defensive player on the field but the best player on the field.

The one thing he left out in the conversation I think should have been, I want to be the best player on the field, and if I can't be where I want to be, then screw everybody else. And that's in essence what he's done."

This is where I would insert some clever line or informational, but hell with that, you just want more red meat from Theismann, and he has a whole locker full of dripping carcasses.

"He's not a team player," Theismann said. "He doesn't give a damn about anybody but himself, which has become painfully obvious. And you know what, Albert doesn't care what anybody says. He's pocketed 21 million dollars. If anybody would look at this situation, you'd have to say it's all about the money, its not about the love of the game. He pulled the classic wool over peoples' eyes: play really well in your final year of a contract as a free agent, get somebody to pony up a lot of money that needs you in the system that they're running -- which the Redskins did in a 4-3 -- and then show us really what kind of character and individual you are.

"And he's classless, ok? I mean, there's nothing else that you can say, but the man has very little respect for teammates, very little respect for anyone. Last year at the end of the season, he chose to stay home on Christmas Day to open presents and not go to work when every other member of the football team had to go. That, to me, spoke volumes about Albert Haynesworth. You have a person that the Redskins are gonna be much better without than with.

"He really offers nothing as a person, as a player, as a teammate. The only thing this big man has is a big bank account, and good for him, I guess....If you're a selfish individual -- which Albert has proven to be -- he played this thing absolutely perfect for him. Take the money, so what if I play, so what if I don't play, I really don't care any more? And truthfully, he doesn't really care about playing football."

Ok, catch your breath for a second. Wipe off some of that blood that's spattered all over your face. Maybe get a drink of cold water. And.....go!

"He's selfish, but he's also limited in what he can do," Theismann said. "When he decides to play, he could be one of the greatest forces in football, it's just that Albert is one of those individuals that isn't motivated really to go out and play much. If the situation doesn't look like something that he likes, then he'll go do it his way. He doesn't respect authority. He only respects his own opinion, and he has a very lofty opinion of himself....

"His physical presence could have been an asset. But I would venture to say that he will not be a part of the Washington Redskins. They're gonna have a terrific defense without him, and they're gonna be a much better football team without him being a part of the team."

Theismann speculated that the Redskins could wait for another team to lose a lineman to injury and then make a trade, could attempt legal means to recoup their money and then cut the lineman, or could simply pay Haynesworth his comparatively smaller upcoming salary not to play. But he said that "Albert Haynesworth will not be a part of the Washington Redskins."

In conclusion, damn. I hope Haynesworth really doesn't care what anybody says about him, because if he does, his next meeting with Theismann might not be pleasant.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 16, 2010; 9:46 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall's ESPN the Mag Cover
Next: Ma'ake Kemoeatu wants to play nose tackle

Comments

First?

Posted by: jlarranaga | June 16, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Joey T. laid the hammer and can you blame him? Everything he said was spot on. No, holding of the tongue or anything going on in his statements. I agree with him 1000%.

And now back to you Steinberg!!!!

Posted by: ajb1094 | June 16, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Hanesworthless is what I say. You made millions of dollars by making a mockery of the redskins. I don't blame you fat Albert. I blame Danny boy and his stupid sidekick Vinny . Fat Albert you should be ashamed of yourself. Even your teammates think you're a poor excuse of a man.. how pathetic is that?

Posted by: rogerdodger24 | June 16, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Tell it like it is Joe! Screw the jerk.

Posted by: VegasJim | June 17, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I want to be as mad as Joey T. and the rest of you, but....
This is what the Redskins get for Snyder running out on the first day of last year's free agent period like it was some type of race and signing this guy. As fans most of you, just like me, were like Huh?!? Because, you knew we just didn't NEED the guy. A.H. was a luxury signing on a team that desperately needed O-line help.

So I understand Theismann's and the rest of Redskins Nation at Haynesworth, but let's not forget Snyder and Cerato signed this guy.
This should be ANOTHER painful lesson for Snyder about lusting after other teams players-I tell ya' Snyder is the Skins worst enemy. Haynesworth is an example of that.
We didn't need this cat, Snyder just up and put him on the team, same as....

Pepper Rodgers being put on Spurrier's staff.
Al Saunders "" "" "" Gibbs staff
Sherman Lewis "" "" "" Zorn's staff
Haynesworth and Shanahan-you get the idea

As far as I'm concerned, this is yet another repudiation of how Snyder conducts affairs at Redskins Park. His dumb idea of coveting the quick fix at the expense of drafting players has wasted 11 years AND leaves the Skins open to this type of flim-flam. What's worse he never learns!! This is Deion part 2 or 50??
Sure, Shanahan had a bunch to do with McNabb being here, but honestly does anyone out there believe that Snyder would've said no if Shanahan weren't here? I like McNabb, but I also know that him being here shows Snyder has learned nothing. Always looking to slyly get around the NFL Way to build a team.
Now this drama with Haynesworthless.

I know as Redskins Nation Haynesworth name is mud with us right now, but properly directed, we can still come together to hate Snyder for this :-p

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 17, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Of course we all agree w/ Theisman, but criticizing Haynesworth at this point is kind of like criticizing global warming or oil spills. No one is really in favor of them.

Posted by: randysbailin | June 17, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

ArmchairGM - This has nothing to do with anything but Haynesworth character. This is not Karma. This is a lack of class. The Redskins have made plenty of mistakes with players, coaches, owners. Still there is a history of class concerning the teams the Redskins have put on the field in past years. Charley Taylor, Roy Jefferson, Pat Fisher, Larry Brown, Chris Hanburger, Dave Butz, Darrel Green, Art Monk, Joe Theisman and on and on, I am sorry if I left your name off the list for there are so many wonderful, heroic figures that have come through Washington. The sacrifices, effort, injuries, loyalty that our players have shown is awe inspiring. The memories they gave us fans make us fans forever through good times and bad. To have a scum bag like Haynesworth soil our team is disgusting.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | June 17, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Really no surprise here is there?

Predictable - including the fact that Dan Snyder was once again stupid enough to shell out megabucks for a big name.

Posted by: crw3 | June 17, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

AH is the problem, of course.

Dan Snyder has been willing to open up his wallet in order to win. All the haters out there would call him cheap if he didn't.

Snyder's problem has been getting bad advice, hiring the wrong people and inserting himself where he doesn't belong. But it looks like he's learning - he hired Allen and Shanahan.

Seriously, the problem here is Fat Albert, not Dan Snyder.

Posted by: gadlut | June 17, 2010 3:07 AM | Report abuse

ibmffwb-
..."This has nothing to do with anything but Haynesworth character. "
Nice try, but I'm not buying it. Haynesworth is an a$$, but Snyder ran out all pressed and signed the guy to biggest, dumbest contract EVER for a lineman, just like Archuleta for safeties and Coles getting a then-record signing bonus and Spurrier getting a then record coaching contract, etc. AH has acted like a big-baby, but so has TO, Favre, Irvin, Ocho and on. Players have always acted petulantly about myriad issues related to their sport.
Is it cool, Is it fair-Heck no, but humans are humans....this one sucks....

...."Still there is a history of class concerning the teams the Redskins have put on the field in past years. Charley Taylor, Roy Jefferson, Pat Fisher, Larry Brown, Chris Hanburger, Dave Butz, Darrel Green, Art Monk, Joe Theisman..."

Yeah, well, tell that to Dexter, who once promised to take out Montana before a game or Gary Clark who was known to pout if the ball didn't come his way more.

Hey, I agree, sure it's classless to take the money and run, but Snyder should have thought this sh$t out, man. Remember, Sean Gilbert-talking about God said play for 5 million?? I do, why didn't Snyder? I'm tired of 11 years of this.
Eleven years of...
Signing knuckleheads like Haynesworth!
Blowing through coaches!
Treating draft picks as cavalierly as MJ with that baby
Not drafting a first round d-lineman
Or an offensive one
Doing dumb sh$t like trading away Champ for Clinton's team-killing a$$
OMG, keeping Ladell Betts on the team-a guy who's ALSO should be arrested for stealing paychecks!!!!
Mike Sellars-with his 'drive-killing' penalty gettin' a$$
Reed Doughty with his no-tackling a$$
Screwing over Lavar-he should have a more productive career with us.
Mindlessly drafting WR after WR with VALUABLE 1st and 2rounders-see, Jacobs,T, Gardner, R,etc. Or safeties
..."To have a scum bag like Haynesworth soil our team is disgusting"
It sure is, so what do you think of Snyder? His ownership of the Skins has been longer & more disgusting
I can't help but chuckle at Snyder's silly a$$.
So if AH robbed Snyder for 32 million-so be it.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 17, 2010 5:55 AM | Report abuse

ibmffwb-
..."This has nothing to do with anything but Haynesworth character. "
Is it cool, Is it fair-Heck no, but humans are humans....this one sucks....

Eleven years of...
Signing knuckleheads like Haynesworth!
Blowing through coaches!
Treating draft picks as cavalierly as MJ with that baby
Not drafting a first round d-lineman
Or an offensive one
Doing dumb sh$t like trading away Champ for Clinton's team-killing a$$
Mike Sellars-with his 'drive-killing' penalty gettin' a$$
Reed Doughty with his no-tackling a$$
Screwing over Lavar-he should have a more productive career with us.
..."To have a scum bag like Haynesworth soil our team is disgusting"
I can't help but chuckle at Snyder's silly a$$.
So if AH robbed Snyder for 32 million-so be it.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 17, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Ugh-sorry for the double posts, crew :-p

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 17, 2010 5:58 AM | Report abuse

I would be upset but this is coming from "i can barley throw 40 yards Thiesman"
Dang i could not wait tell he retired!

Posted by: SOLVBACK | June 17, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Armchair -

Well said and an impressive inventory of past transgressions.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | June 17, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

From an earlier thread.....I still can't stand Wilbon.

Posted by: fushezzi | June 17, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

@1bmffwb

Let's see folks. $nyder owns the team and he's not at fault for the last 10 years of turmoil punctuated by the last year of madness? Get a clue folks. This is $nyders fault, not to mention the rest of the chaos at Redskin Park.

BOYCOTT $NYDER OR GET READY FOR MORE CHAOS!!!!!

Posted by: hessone | June 17, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

All very interesting, but didn't we really learn all we needed to learn about Haynesworth's character a few years ago when he deliberately stepped on the Cowboys' center's head?

Posted by: kemp13 | June 17, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

kemp13,

As a Redskins fan, I took stepping on the Cowboys' center's head as a good thing.

Posted by: fushezzi | June 17, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I love this soap opera called the Redskins. I saw this story line coming last March. When the Snyder Redskins first came on the air the theme was set -- over pay Deon, over pay Jeff George, over pay "the ball coach", over pay Randall El (a gadget guy in a sputtering offense). If Redskin fans would just watch the reruns, they would find less drama in the new episodes.

Posted by: crabcorrector | June 17, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

@ged0386

sjakemuzik wrote:
Typical, modern, black athlete.

ged0386 wrote:
Whats wrong? were you teased by the black jocks in high school. Thats usually the case with white guys who as grown men have a grudge against black guys. They were bussed to the black neighborhood schools and got beat up by the black kids. And they cant let it go. Even as adults.

sjakemuzik wrote:
And as an African American male, I can say whatever I want about the young black generation. The majority of them are spoiled and don't wanna honor their commitments. ie, Carlos Rogers, DeAngelo HALL, ETC.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ged0386

Don't you owe sjakemuzik and all white adult males an apology? It's time you grow up ged0386.

Posted by: hessone | June 17, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

kemp13,

Posted by: fushezzi | June 17, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

4 and 12, 0 & 6 in the division... btw, who won the NFC east?

Posted by: rlomax67 | June 17, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Theisman known as the Mouth Who Roared in his early days with the team?

Posted by: gmuhokie2009 | June 17, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Armchair GM -- you hit on the head.

Haynesworth is the greedy selfless bum that he is, BUT it ALL started with the greedy egotistical Snyder and his minion Cerrato signing this guy to some fat-laden contract. Snyder doesn't let FOOTBALL PEOPLE run his FOOTBALL TEAM, and has made us all suffer because he had an idiot GM running the whole operation!

Posted by: chris1chris | June 17, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

unfortunately, having been a life long Skins fan, this seems right up Snyder's alley as a fantasy football decision. you think there was a reason why Haynesworth wasn't necessarily on every team's radar? why Tenn didn't make a substantial offer for AH? The most amusing part to all of this is AH saying he was "promised" by management to play in a 4-3 defense. If that is nowhere in his contract, this will get real interesting. Until proven otherwise, this is all on Napolean.

Posted by: erico31us | June 17, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I meant "selfish", not selfless. Maybe I was thinking Haynesworth was selfless when it came to his offer to "do whatever it takes to make this team win."

Posted by: chris1chris | June 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris1chris | June 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I want to be as mad as Joey T. and the rest of you, but....

We didn't need this cat, Snyder just up and put him on the team, same as....

Pepper Rodgers being put on Spurrier's staff.
Al Saunders "" "" "" Gibbs staff
Sherman Lewis "" "" "" Zorn's staff
Haynesworth and Shanahan-you get the idea

Now this drama with Haynesworthless.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 17, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Dear Danny:

Thank you for getting rich off our football team and leaving it in shambles in the process.

Signed,

Redskins Nation

Posted by: stwasm | June 17, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I used to be the ONLY guy in Washington who defended Danny boy. MY thinking was that hey, if I had a boss who asked me what I needed to do my job and I told him and he responded by giving me everything I asked for, how could I blame the boss for any lack of success?

Clearly I have changed my opinion. After 11 years which have been emotional and mental torture I can no longer defend the indefensible.

First, I am sick of rooting for people I hate! (Deion, Rod Gardner, Adam Archuletta, Jeremiah Trotter etc). Second, Even my 7 year old wonders why the redskins never have any draft picks. Of course, HE can see that successful organizations like the Patriots, Steelers, friggin Eagles, etc have built consistent winning teams via the draft and development of talent. I was and am not convinced on the McNabb trade because Donovan has been wildly inconsistent with his accuracy for while now and again I have to root for a guy I have hated for years. I know the Jason Campbell era was nothing to celebrate but I firmly believe that his psyche was destroyed by Vinnie and Danny Boy. The poor kid never had a chance-- and as much as it pains me to wish anyone of the Raiders good luck (I am still bitter from Super Bowl 18), I want to see him do well so that can be the final indictment of the way Snyder has run this team.

Haynesworth is a straight up POS. I dont care that he may have been told one thing and now its something different. Hell, most of work for someone and in my company, my choices are pretty simple. You can do the job I ask you to do or you can leave. The only difference is that most of do not get paid for years of work before we show up to the office. Fat @$$ Albert OWES Redskins Nation some respect and he OWES us his EFFORT. Last year he cried every play and was constantly drama boy acting like he blew out his knee and then coming back in after he had a twinkie in the locker room. Screw this clown.
Rarely do I agree with EVERYTHING Joe T says because Joe T is a guy who loves to hear himself talk but this time he nailed it. Albert is a bum and Karma is beeotch; Albert is gonna get his one way or another. You cannot act like this and think you are going to happy or successful. I think the Redskins should hold onto this guy and sue the crap out of him for breach of contract if he doesnt show up and play where is told. They should keep him on the sidelines or better yet the practice squad just to prevent him from signing somewhere else cheap if they cant get a quality pick or player for him.

Fat Albert can drown in a pool of Chocolate at the Willy Wonka Chocolate factory for all care.

Screw him and lets all hope this is the LAST mistake in a long undistinguished list of Dan Snyders tenure as the successor to JKC.

Peace out and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Posted by: jlarranaga | June 17, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

The Danny got punked on this one real bad and in his grill...I'm betting he has 1000 lawyers cranking away briefings and other legal junk as I type this to get his 21 million back..cause the Danny loves the cash...well he got played like a dime store violin abd beat like a red headed goalie...smashed like a clubbed baby seal...How's it feel Danny?

Posted by: nowhine | June 17, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, some of you need to get a grip. We are blaming Snyder for Sean Gilbert? Really? A guy that played for the Skins three years before Snyder bought the team? We are blaming Snyder for Rod Gardner? That was all Schottenheimer. Snyder wanted Santana Moss but was Schottenheimer picked Gardner. And are you really blaming him for Lavar? Lavar was done. Repeat, done, when he left.

Snyder has made a huge amount of mistakes but some of you are blind with hatred.

Posted by: ouvan59 | June 17, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nowhine | June 17, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

In this situation everyone is against Fat Albert even his teammates yet there is that one voice that defends Fat Albert..... Ok wait for it..... MICHAEL WILBON!!!!
Like I said in an early post "Wilbon's a DINK".

Posted by: jerod1 | June 17, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

What would Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin say? What's a football?

Posted by: ScottChallenger | June 17, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

OK look. Nobody here dislikes The Danny more than I do. Trust me on this. And signing Fat Albert was clearly a stupid move on his part.

But Snyder didn't make Albert into the jerk he is. Read that story Steinz linked about last season. Haynesworth specifically said the "system has to change." OK, it changed. So now he's unhappy?

Honest. I'm one of these who likes to blame Snyder for everything from the Second World War to the swine flu epidemic, but I don't think it works this time. Haynesworth is a jackass. Clear and simple. An overpaid jackass, yeah. But at this point, I don't think it's about Snyder.

I say they are going to take a big financial hit no matter what they do, so why not do it in the way that hurts Fat Albert the most? Sitting out a season would not do him any good at all. So hold onto him until he buys them out or they get the deal they want for him.

Don't reward him by eating a big chunk of his salary so he can play somewhere else.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | June 17, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

LMAO...Joey T., the shrinking violet himself, speaks...

But hey, we all saw this coming, we all know it's Jocksniffer Dannyboy's fault, same as Archuleta, Deion, Bruce Smith, and yaddayaddayadda. In his quest to outdo The Squire and rewrite Skins history to promote HIMSELF, THIS is the legacy the midget dictator leaves behind...one filled with high profile failure after failure after failure.

And blaming Cerrato is like blaming the puppet instead of the ventriloquist; Dan signed off on ALL OF THESE DEBACLES...HE MANDATED THEM.

This lies squarely at the danny's wingtipped 2 left feet...

Posted by: kahlua87 | June 17, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Let me clue you in, those of you who are taking shots at Joe T. He is the guy who Qb'd the Redskins to their 1st SB win, he is the guy who won the league MVP the following year. He is also the guy who wanted to play so much that when Billy and Sonny were the top 2 QB's. Joe T. volunteered to run back punts and was 2nd in the NFC. As you clearly display here, you don't know s from apple butter about football. Please go back to watching cartoons. Jerks!

Posted by: TJDemo | June 17, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"Wasn't Theisman known as the Mouth Who Roared in his early days with the team?"

Joe has/had his problems, but the guy was about the Redskins...all the way to the bitter end.

I mean if he was talking about how to act with women, I would take a pass on his comments.

But Joe loved the Redskins, and still does.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 17, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

a h, is a predator fatboy on the loose - owners beware ..da fat dough boy may be in yo neighborhood - close yo wallets, disconnect yo phones and please don't leave no banks doors open - he'll sweat and posture and claim he wants dinner but da fat dough boy just wants the sweets

Posted by: aypub | June 17, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

WAY TO GO JOE!!!!

Posted by: carterm1 | June 17, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey ArmchairGM,

Man you went balls out and deep in your post. Bravo!

Haynesworth is nothing more than a Bama from South Ca-i-lacky!

As for the rest of you slamming Joey T, you guys need to get a life. Theismann has ALWAYS run his mouth. But he NEVER slacked when he was on the field.

A quarterback returning punts is the ULTIMATE SHOW OF DOING WHATEVER IT TAKES TO HELP YOUR TEAM!

Or don't you people remember when LT broke Theismann's leg it was so horrible that at the time some stations wouldn't even show the replay.

Oh yeah, not to mention that Theismann led the Skins to their first Super Bowl Title!

IDIOTS!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | June 17, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I would assume that none of us know the exact terms of the Haynesworth contract. But, there just HAS to be a clause about actually performing some sort of task for the Redskins in order to be paid, right? If there is, then he can be sued if he does not perform such tasks. If there are no requirements...then the entire Skins organizations, including their legal team (assuming there were lawyers involved in drafting the contract).
So, it's relatively simple:
If they can sue him, he'll show up and he gets to keep the money.
If they can't sue him, he'll just laugh all the way to the bank and never have to lift a finger again for the rest of his life...however long that may be.
If he does show up, I bet he goes in for a play or two, go half-speed (or less), then take himself out. Next time in, he'll fake an injury and sit out the rest of the game. Easy way to collect money, eh?

Posted by: scmonty1 | June 17, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Peter Angelos and Danny Snyder should go to Vegas and get married. Soul mates.

Posted by: jsedelman22 | June 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse