Warren Sapp to Haynesworth: "Let's stop the BS"

If I'm going to get to 1,000 Haynesworth posts by September 12, I'm going to have to publish some lame quotes from completely uninteresting parties. This one isn't in that category.

Warren Sapp is one of the best NFL defensive tackles in recent memory, and he also isn't a particularly shy fellow. So when he was asked about Albert over the weekend, the results were worth noting.

"Let's stop the BS, like we like to say," Sapp told Vic Carucci and Howard Balzer on SiRIUS NFL Radio. "I mean, c'mon, son. You sat at the table. The people told you they had a very lovely check for you....Albert Haynesworth, you took the check, now show up to the job, son. It's that simple. You take that kind of check. I mean, I'll flip dogs for you. I mean, c'mon, what you want me to do, you want me to return punts? I mean, what? C'mon. Stop it. Stop it. Stop it."

One of the hosts pointed out that Haynesworth even had issues with Greg Blache last year, when the Skins were running a 4-3.

"How about he had issues with showing up for the Cowboy game and the Eagle game," Sapp countered. "I mean, if a body part's not missing, you're showing up for division games. Are you kidding me?"

Then Sapp was asked whether Haynesworth should be considered a dominant defensive tackle when he's playing and healthy, possibly the best defensive player in the game.

"No. No. No," Sapp said. "He's not consistent enough. The numbers aren't there. I mean, I saw the four plays in a row playing the Atlanta Falcons when he was on the goal line, he looks like a manchild. Some of those games he was running, him and [Kyle] Vanden Bosch, they really had that defense rolling. He was playing the game the way it was supposed to be played.

"But you can't tell me that a man that has, what, [28] sacks in his life is one of the most dominant players to ever play this game. I mean, I don't remember that game where he took it over, you know what I'm saying? I remember me and Brett Favre up in Green Bay going at it in the playoff game. I don't have that signature game for Haynesworth. I don't have that signature season. Don't give me one. That's a rule of ours, isn't it? I mean, one's a fluke. Two, you become consistent. Now three, you've arrived. I don't think the man's had a 10-sack season. I mean, Tony Dungy told me when I was playing the game, he said you want to be arrived in this game, you've got to get to 10 sacks. That's what I tell all young defensive tackles, you want a name in this game, rush like an end, and then you get in the conversation."

Of course, the whole problem arises because Haynesworth wants to rush like an end, and then get in the conversation. He did his job well last year when he was on the field, and his neighbors piled up the sack totals, and he didn't, and now people say he's overrated, which is why he doesn't want to be a space-filler in a 3-4.

But whatever. Warren Sapp has "c'mon, son'd" Haynesworth, adding one more name to the list.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 28, 2010; 1:18 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kevin Durant: Wall will "be big for the city"
Next: Gilbert jerseys: back on sale

Comments

Sapp was not particularly known as a shining example of the words work ethic in his day, that said, I would love Albert to have half the work ethic Sapp did have. He is dead on here.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 28, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

First!!!

Sapp is dead on. No arguments from me. He played the position so he knows the position.

Give it to 'em Sapp!!

Posted by: ajb1094 | June 28, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The fact is simple AH signed a contract for alot of FREAKING MONEY. Play the game Albert and get your head out of strippers asses, that's the problem, he has alot of money and alot of real nice woman he would never get are throwing ass at him, now since he has had a nice piece he thinks he is all that. Karma is a bytch, he will come to training camp and get a blown ACL watch what I say!

Posted by: russellpenmaniii | June 28, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Let me post mine and add it to your list.

Come on man! You're being called out by everyone and their cousin.

You weren't there 100% of the time last year! You took plays off, you dogged it on others. You had issues with the DC and you were already in a base 4-3. So what your game plan here? You were planning on taking the money & runnin' the whole time? Sure looks like it.

You think you're like Neon Deion where you play one year and retire and the Danny lets you keep all the money? Or how about DeAngelo Hall?he played what a year and a part of and then Oakland cut him loose and he got to keep his signing bonus?

Try again. All you are is a money hungry spoiled NFL prima donna who thinks that just because you have a little bit of talent you can pull the wool over everyone's eyes and get away with anything. EEEENCH Try again.

If I were the owner you would ride the the pine till you caved in (maybe just a game or two with your fragile ego) and begged me to take back all the money and cut me.

Posted by: rillbizi | June 28, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

You can say what you want about Warren Sapp but it was obvious that he loved to play football...didn't have to beg him to play....Albert doensn't even like football, it's obvious...Loved the comment about division rivals...no missing body part, you better have ur arse in there fighting with your brothers in pads....maybe, just maybe, Al will get tired of hearing all his "peers" rip him a new one and show up and play hard...ok, i said just maybe...my bad!

Posted by: klangley69 | June 28, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

In Sports, a guy usually can redeem himself or be given a second chance or more.

Somehow, I don't see this with him. I don't see him living up to the money already spent and I don't see him living up to playing at his best. I don't see him caring enough. I think he'll cause more disruptions on the team than on the opponents.

Posted by: kahlua87 | June 28, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Sapps' got his number. 'Ihurt Cantplayworth'
is a porculent pretender.

Posted by: bg1fan | June 28, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

He is right. Albert has a problem with everyone and everything b/c he is an absolute baby that wants everything about him and if it isnt, he kicks and screams like a child

Enough....sue his ass if he doesnt show up

Posted by: Bious | June 28, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The real question now is "Will FatAl" be bankrupt b4 or after his playing days are over? lmsssao

Posted by: terptek | June 28, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse