Bobby Mitchell on Albert Haynesworth

Bobby Mitchell and a team guy. (1995 photo by Joel Richardson - TWP)

No matter what you think about Albert Haynesworth, I trust you'll agree that he'd enjoy flipping through The Collected Offseason Comments on the Matter of Albert Haynesworth, as transcribed by Dan Steinberg. Someone just print out all these blog posts and staple them together, or wrap them all up in athletic tape, or glue them together with Bengay or something. International Forgiveness Day is Aug. 8. Maybe that'd be a good occasion.

It goes without saying that no such volume would be complete without the thoughts of Redskins Hall of Famer Bobby Mitchell, whose role in franchise history and post-career charity work has made him one of the consciences of the franchise. Mitchell discussed Haynesworth during a recent appearance on ESPN 980's The Fix, and while he had none of the spittle-showering rage that some of his peers have displayed, he agreed that we're approaching the legacy-tarnishing stage.

"You know what I am? I'm a team guy," Mitchell said. "And I think that every guy who's worth his salt should be a team guy. And you do what Haynesworth is doing - and I'm not angry with him, because we're talking about contracts here... -- but from the team point of view, I just think that that defense is London Fletcher's. And I just think that he should be nicer to London, you know? That's kind of the way ballplayers think.

"I can't fault him in the sense that he believes that he was told one thing and now something else [is being offered]. That happens. And he's got to make that adjustment himself. This is all about adjustments. I would have loved for him to make the adjustment, but it's not my career...."

"One thing, he will never know, ever, how London Fletcher really feels about him," Mitchell continued. "Because that's London's defense, and if you're not a team guy, I don't know how much I like you. So he'll always have to wonder about that....I don't dislike him, and I haven't heard anyone else say they dislike him, but they do like the idea of team. And sometimes you do some things just for your team."

For example, sometimes you transcribe 1,000 radio interviews about a single subject, and even though you'd rather be drinking a smoothie flavored with Lysol and urine, you just do that for your team.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 13, 2010; 1:12 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Steinbrenner-Snyder comparisons
Next: John Wall flexing at Summer League

Comments

That photo brings back some memories... most not so great. Hard to believe it has been 15 years since the Frerotte/Shuler QB controversy.

Posted by: MillBurray | July 13, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Ok Dan, its time to give up.

Posted by: ged0386 | July 13, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

yeah, the lysol and urine comment, means you reached you peak on this topic.

there's no Guinness world record awaiting you on this, you can move on.

Posted by: oknow1 | July 13, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

yeah, the lysol and urine comment, means you reached your peak on this topic.

there's no Guinness world record awaiting you on this, you can move on.

Posted by: oknow1 | July 13, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Like so many current and/or former Washingtonians, I love reading anything about the Redskins, but Dan Steinberg, I give you full permission to write about someone other than Fat Albert. All these opinions are more or less the same. If you've got something juicy on Fat Albert, great. Otherwise, please feel free to write about any of the other 125 guys who work at Redskins Park.

Posted by: drischord | July 13, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I actually thoroughly enjoy reading this...I think these are great pieces and it brings a certain level of levity to this whole ordeal. Furthermore, when alls said and done and Albert returns to the field, I think it'll be great to see all the comments people have said about Albert...and see if any changes happened.

Keep it up Dan Steinberg!

Posted by: Havemercyplz | July 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Of course, rather than just transcribing 1,000 interviews conducted by other people and simply parroting the better work of others -- a more enterprising journalist might want to try doing a few interviews of their own -- and perhaps even generate a little news in their own right.

For example, for at least since the first day of Shanahan's optional workouts -- and discounting the so-called written statement "from Albert" a few weeks ago (that was actually composed by his flacks) -- we have yet to hear that anyone has actually spoken directly with the Dude himself... or offered so much as a single reason or excuse why the Dude seems so incapable of speaking for himself.

I don't suppose you have the wherewithal or cajones to just ring him up and ask, "Hey Big Guy, WTF?"

Posted by: Vic1 | July 13, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Tires of hearing about a guy that never wanted to play in the first place...and now he wants to leave with a huge bag of money. ZERO INTEGRITY AS GOOD AS A THIEF

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | July 13, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

is that heath shuler in the picture. pinch me.

Posted by: gunga666 | July 13, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

While I'm glad to read something related to Redskins football, I have high hopes that this season will provide much to occupy our thoughts besides "hey-hey-hey". I'll be shocked if he shows up for camp; even more so if he's able to contribute.

Posted by: drcethompson | July 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Dan - You could have at least cropped Shuler out of the picture! Now I'm having bad flashbacks to a 5 INT game! Ugh!

Posted by: suzannepdc | July 14, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse