Bryce Harper isn't interested in contract talks

(Photo from last month by Jae C. Hong - AP)

If I were about to become a multi-gazillionare, the exact amount of my gazillions would probably concern me more than, say, making small talk with Josh Hamilton. But the key is not whether you care, but whether you admit that you care. Bryce Harper -- the Nats' No. 1 overall pick, the Scott Boras client, the winner of the Golden Spikes award as the top amateur player in the country -- will not admit that he cares.

"I don't even know what's going on with that," Harper said, when asked about his contract negotiations on Sirius XM's MLB Network Radio earlier in the week. "I'm not even interested in that right now. I'm just all about just coming out here to watch the All-Star game, out here for the Golden Spikes award, so I'll let Boras handle that."

Amazing self-control. Also amazing? He calls his agent "Boras." I don't think I was comfortable calling adults anything but "Mr." or "Mrs." until I was at least 27. Still waiting for Harper to talk about "Lerner," "Kasten," "Riggles" and "Leatherpants."

Anyhow, it would appear that Harper is having fun this summer. He used the word "fun" five times in the three-minute interview. He said this is the "first real summer" he's had in ages, that he's going to the gym every day and hanging out with friends and family. Oh, and paying attention to the Nats.

"Stephen Strasburg is a great pitcher, a great competitor," he said. "Just to have him on the bump, being able to watch him and all the things that he has done for the Nationals right now and just the whole system, it's awesome to watch."

Strasburg, of course, won the Golden Spikes last year. Before that, the award was claimed by Buster Posey, David Price and Tim Lincecum. That's not a bad quartet.

Harper said he had met Joe Mauer ("really humble") and Josh Hamilton ("really humble, all about the Lord.) He said he was just trying to "take it all in" while at the All-Star festivities. And he said he remains willing to play whatever position the Nats want him to play.

"I don't care where I play," he said. "I'll play wherever they want me to play. As long as I'm in the lineup every day, that's all that matters to me. I'm trying to go out there and have a lot of fun and learn the spot. And if they want me to play right, center, left, catcher, whatever, I'll do whatever to help the team."

Related: Here's a Congresswoman paying tribute to Harper after he was drafted first overall. So now both he and Strasburg have been recognized by Congress.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 15, 2010; 9:23 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins: "No looking back"
Next: John Wall wins an ESPY, Strasburg doesn't

Comments

There is a difference between a teenager calling an adult by their last name and a super talented about to be mega millionaire teenager calling the guy who works for him and will be paid handsomely simply by his last name.

Maybe something is to be said for having manners, but I say eff it. Dont waste your time with petty nonsense. Devote all your brain to hitting the baseball. I'm sure "Boras" will forgive you in about 6 years when you both should cash in big time

Posted by: makplan20002 | July 15, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Its refreshing to see a (soon-to-be) multi-millionaire say that he is willing to play whatever position will help the team. Fat Albert should take a page out of this teenager's book.

Posted by: StephenMc | July 15, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Both great comments. Boras works for Bryce so yeah that's the correct thing to call him.

I also think Fat Albert could learn something from this kid! He would rather eat him though I think.

Posted by: Mike4169 | July 15, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

So, being recognized by Congress is a *good* thing? Eh, not so much...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 15, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingrob76 | July 15, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RojoJohnson | July 15, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Having taught high school, I'm amazed he actually knows the man's last name instead of referring to him as Mister.

Posted by: cbm92 | July 15, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Call me a heathen, but I'm actually far more concerned about him calling God "the Lord."

Posted by: bryc3 | July 15, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I say sign him and let him play right field for the Nats in August and September!

Posted by: dorseylaw | July 15, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I would be more concerned if he called himself "The Lord" or "God" even though he certainly has otherworldly talent

Posted by: nativedc | July 15, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

++++++Another draft pick by the Nationals that will not be here in 6 years. The Nationals need to make their franchise attractive, much like the Phillies did. Lerner/Kasten are the WRONG people to do this.

Posted by: RojoJohnson | July 15, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse +++++++++

Yep, because there's a long line of amazing draft talent that the Nats have let get away. Let's see there's......ummmm.....oh wait, there was that one guy, wait no, that was an Orioles player.....hmmmm.....

Seriously, who have the Nats drafted that "got away" that was anywhere near as talented as Strasburg and Harper?

I'll wait......

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | July 15, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

>>> Is it just me, or does he look a bit like Rocky Dennis (the kid from the movie "Mask")?

Actually, I was thinking he looks more like Buddy (the kid from the movie "The Incredibles")

Posted by: dcnationals1 | July 15, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, sure he's not interested in the contract talks; give me a break! And he's really an UGLY kid ... looks like his nose caught too many foul tips without his mask on.

Posted by: silverfox5 | July 15, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steinz, who's "leatherpants?" Bowden? Dibble? Your boyfriend?

Sounds like the kid just wants to play ball. I'm pretty confident he'll sign.

"And he said he remains willing to play whatever position the Nats want him to play."

I like that attitude, and I like that he remains willing to play anywhere the NATS want him to play.

Posted by: dannychap | July 16, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse