Dan Snyder speaks on first day of training camp

Amazing, and completely unrelated photo by John McDonnell - TWP

On the first day of training camp, Redskins owner Daniel Snyder sat down for about a four-minute interview with Redskins employees Larry Michael and Larry Weisman on ESPN 980, which of course is owned by Red Zebra, one of Dan Snyder's companies. The interview wasn't necessarily the strongest statement of editorial independence the world has ever seen. The best quotes from the interview are summarized in this block quote:

"[Null]"

But then again, the constant demand from fans has been that ownership be less involved, less active, and less meddlesome, so I guess the less the better. In the interest of the historical record, here's the transcript, but if you have any weeds to pull or dirty towels to wash, that would probably be equally enlightening.

Oh, Bruce Allen slept at the office on Wednesday night. That was news to me.

(And I'm adding this later, but for the record, ESPN 980 has hosted some of the strongest Snyder critics, including Andy Pollin and Steve Czaban. I'm not saying the station can't be tough. I'm saying this interview was as tough as banana pudding.)

Michael: Dan, there's a zillion fans out there, and there's just a horrible storm that just hit, you've got to just be impressed by the pride of these Redskin fans to come out here on such a rainy day.

Snyder: I think we've got the greatest fans in the country, and it's really a testimony to the fans, to be out here, thousands of 'em, and hopefully we'll have some nice weather from here on out.

Weisman: And you're giving them a lot of open practices this year, 15 practices. What was going into the thinking to really open this up and make it so accessible?

Snyder: It's really not about me, it's really Shanahan and Bruce, it's their philosophy of how they run training camp and what they do in terms of open practices. And I think it's fantastic. I think it's exciting, and it's a great schedule.

Michael: Dan what has impressed you most first about Bruce Allen since he's come aboard? I remember your introductory press conference, you talked about how tirelessly he would work, and he has done so.

Snyder: He slept here last night actually. He's amazing. He's a complete workaholic, and that's fun to watch.

Michael: And Mike Shanahan, equally a hard worker.

Snyder: Unbelievable. I mean, Mike is a consummate pro, and we're in great hands.

Weisman: What sense do you have as you walk through the building of how different it is?

Snyder: I think there's an optimism and excitement, a real understanding of where we're going now, so it's exciting for everybody.

Michael: You know, coming up on the seventh of August, it's a huge day for the Redskins. Not only is it fan appreciation day - and folks, you probably should start leaving now the house to get here for that day - but also Russ Grimm going into the Hall of Fame. That's going to be a day that I think you'll always remember.

Snyder: It's gonna be a lot of fun. We're hosting a party for him afterwards and we're really excited about it. So we're gonna do fan appreciation day here, and then I think me and Bruce Allen and a few others are gonna fly out and congratulate Russ.

Weisman: Attendnance for that has been spectacular over the years. What do you think will add to it this year?

Snyder: I think it will just be a complete sellout, I think it's gonna be a big big crowd, and hopefully we'll get some good weather.

Michael: Dan, you know thinking ahead, week 1, wouldn't it be cool, week 1, Cowboys in town, for the whole town to kind of get fired up that week? You know, wouldn't it be cool if that was just Redskins Week?

Snyder: Well, it will be, and I think we're gonna have some interesting things planned to support our fan base. And I think it's just a real exciting opportunity to open with the Cowboys at home.

Weisman: Bruce had talked about this at alumni day, that he wants the Indianapolis game to be homecoming.

Snyder: Yeah, Bruce has really led the way with the alumni, and it's something that we're real proud of, our heritage and tradition here, and it's gonna be fantastic. So we're looking forward to that.

Michael: Dan, article in the New York Times today about video experience in stadiums around the NFL, and it was centered in New York because it's the New York Times, but I know Redskins fans have a lot to look forward to in terms of game experience this year, don't they?

Snyder: Well, the new jumbo video boards are fantastic, they're enormous, and not only are they in HD but they're 3D capable as well. So we're really looking forward to showing something new and exciting at the stadium.

Weisman: And there are other additions to the stadium.

Snyder: Yeah, there's a whole bunch of things we're doing new and trying to make the tailgate experience even better this year. We're going to be announcing shortly some new things that [will] open up the season in our tailgating areas.

Michael: Do you have the same feeling when you go out to training camp first day as you have every year, is this a different feeling for you this year with these men working so hard?

Snyder: Yeah, it's exciting. It's a new opportunity. And the future is bright for us.

Michael: Finally, you know Mike Shanahan yesterday talked about defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, and Mike said he's got all his eyes moving forward, and obviously I think that's what the team had always thought they were gonna do: training camp's gonna come and this is the team, isn't it?

Snyder: I hope so, and I think Mike will lead the way, and we're in great hands.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 29, 2010; 5:07 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When Sean Salisbury fought Albert Haynesworth
Next: Albert Haynesworth pictures OMG!!1!1!

Comments

Quite comical to see the differences in the questions posed by Michael (company lap dog) and Weisman (still somewhat of an actual journalist, spine still intact).

Posted by: disgruntledfan | July 29, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Weisman hasn't been indoctrinated yet. Larry Michael is still the Minister of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda. Once Weisman comes up for his annual review is when things will change.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | July 29, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

So Snyder goes on his own STATION to be interviewed by his own EMPLOYEES and they conveniently don't ask him the #1 question any journalist with any credibility would ask? Much like Six Flags and Johnny Rockets, I'm now boycotting ESPN980. I'll go to Kings Dominion, Red Robin, and listen to 106.7 The Fan from now on.

Posted by: dmvsports | July 29, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the day when the Redskins are a consistent winner and the absurd attacks against Dan Snyder will cease.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 29, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

There was a good quote from Dan:

"[there's]... a real understanding of where we're going now"

Posted by: justsayin | July 29, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

This is supposed to be an interview? Was Michael on his knees in front of Snyder when he did this?

Posted by: shanks1 | July 29, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

3D screens! That's going to be pretty cool to see. Can't wait for that Cowboy game.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | July 29, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Notice that WTEM pulled Pollen and Czaben off the air today and substituted two butt kissers to replace them.

Posted by: MKadyman | July 29, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

They may be two butt kissers, but they both have more sports knowledge than Andy Pollin.

I'm sure if I were related to Abe Pollin, I could land a radio gig in DC too. Apparantly that's the only thing that got him the job, because he's a complete imbecile.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | July 29, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

People...Leopards don't change their spots
Dan Snyder is a greedy Lil Midget

Posted by: RFADS1 | July 30, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I really think the lights have come on for Snyder. People will still hate. But, I think the guy has turned the corner.

He's never going to be overly likeable. So what? If he keeps going down this road of putting competent people in charge, and getting out of the way, his persoonality or lack of it, won't matter.

Posted by: PS7900 | July 30, 2010 5:53 AM | Report abuse

Maybe...you are not aware of this when criticing the interview, but BOTH Larry Michael and Larry Weisman WORK for the Washington Redskins in the media division. They are NOT employees of ESPN980, which in fairness, you did mention that that the air talent there has been tough and should be....after last season, and what has transpired, could you please start laying off in your articles the inference that the team controls "the message"....if you want the relations between the team and the Post to improve it has to start with you and others writing stories that are fair and balanced and criticizing at the appropriate time.

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | July 30, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Re: "They are NOT employees of ESPN980." I don't think you understand. They are ALL on the Snyder payroll. Email someone at ESPN980, and you get a return email from a redskins.com account. So ESPN980 employees are, for intents and purposes, REDSKINS employees. Yes, I'd say some of the hosts, in particular Pollin and Czaban, have kept as much integrity and independence as one possibly could, considering their job description inherently means they have to criticize their employer on air every day. Which makes it all the more suspicious that Pollin and Czaban were replaced by those two hacks yesterday. Business-wise, if I'm ESPN980, I would want my best, most popular hosts there on such a huge news day. But they didn't... which makes me think that either: a. Snyder doesn't want them there because of their honest about the team and ownership, or b. Pollin and Czaban were told the restrictions of the Snyder interview and refused to comply and walked.

Posted by: dmvsports | July 30, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

I WILL TELL YOU THIS RIGHT NOW .......

IF MARTY WAS STILL HERE AND WAS ALLOWED TO RUN THIS TEAM THEY WAY HE WANTED AND THIS WOULD MEANT VINNEY BUTT TO THE CRUB THIS TEAM WITHOUT A DOUT WOULD HAVE HAD AT LEAST 3 NFC CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCE'S AND AT LEAST ONE SUPER BOWL WIN . YES I SAID THAT! MARTY WAS THE ANSWER BUT VINNEY WAS SCARED SO THE SOAP OPEARA CONTINUED EVEN WITH GIBBS-II . I THINK MARTY WAS THE BEST ANSWER WE HAD FOR 10 YEARS UNTIL NOW . I GOT OUR SKINS IN THE NFC SHIP GAME THIS YEAR. THERES NOTHING LIKE A PLAYOFF GAME ON SATURDAYS AT 12:30 PM ....REMEMBER THOSE GAMES IN THE GIBBS-I ERA . YES 12:30 PM AT FEDEX THIS TOWN WILL BE ROCKING

Posted by: terryreece | July 30, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Czaban was away hosting some golf event, while Pollin announced on Tuesday that he'd be taking the rest of the week off to attend to family matters. So the fact that Snyder was scheduled to appear on the show yesterday had nothing to do with the regular hosts not being there, although perhaps he deliberately picked yesterday knowing who'd be interviewing him.

Posted by: Mike_In_Fairfax | July 30, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Dan Schneider: “I think there's an optimism and excitement, a real understanding of where we're going now, so it's exciting for everybody.

Because prior to now there was no plan, no understanding of any kind of where we were going and I was 100% responsible for that.

Don't forget. The Redskins do have a losing record since the day I bought the franchise.”

Posted by: Rocky420 | July 30, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"I sure miss Vinny, don't all of you?"

-- Dan Snyder

Posted by: perryneheum | July 30, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MKadyman | July 29, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dmvsports | July 30, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Czaban and Pollin were not "pulled" by their station because Snyder was appearing on the same day. I'm just wondering if either of you two morons realize you sound like complete lunatics with your ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Get a grip people.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 30, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Pond scum interviewing fellow pond scum.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | August 1, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse