Dibble says he'll be here "a long time"

I'm in danger of writing about Rob Dibble more than Albert Haynesworth, so I'll try to check myself, but there were some great Rob Dibble nuggets over the past 24 hours.

1) Two home runs for the good guys meant two enthusiastic Dibble home run calls. He didn't disappoint.

Cristian Guzman: "Very nice! Ah, the Goozer! Ah, the Goozmeister!"

Willie Harris: "Haha! Willie! Hot Rod! Harris! Nice job Willie! Break it down!"

There seemed to be some sounds of clapping at the same time, but that's unverified.

2) City Paper's Dave McKenna published a piece on Dibble, in which he dealt with his now-sorta-controversial following. Dibble is apparently a pro wrestling fan, and he's willing to have some portion of the audience view him as a heel, as long as it means they're tuning in.

"Obviously there's people in this town and throughout baseball that don't care for me much," Dibble told McKenna. "But I plan on staying around here a long time."

Dibble also said complaints that he doesn't know the game well enough are "laughable," and that John Angelos recruited him to the MASN booth.

"Would Angelos put Dibble on Orioles telecasts full-time?" asked William F. Yurasko.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 22, 2010; 10:27 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Russell goes to ESPN 980
Next: The Sean Taylor locker display

Comments

I've gotten to like Dibbs. He's behind the team, but he's pretty vocal about bad plays etc. I hope he stays.

Posted by: ridgely1 | July 22, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Dibble is great in the booth. I think he's good for the Nats. I hope he stays for a long time as well.

Posted by: leo25 | July 22, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Robb Dibble is to baseball broadcasts what John Madden was to football. High Energy, a little crazy, and if we are lucky some day we will see Dibbs eat a whole Turducken over the course of a game!

Posted by: alex35332 | July 22, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I watch him...with the sound off.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | July 22, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I love Dibs in the booth. Yeah, he's a meathead and the rooting is a bit over the top. But he does know his stuff and he's increasingly willing to call the team out on their often-abysmal play of late.

Posted by: RiverOtis | July 22, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Imagine how much fun Dibble will be if this team ever gets good...

Posted by: jhorstma | July 22, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Dibble cares about baseball, cares about the team, and knows about both. He's got a big personality that gets in the way of better judgment at times, but hey, it's like watching two shows at once.

Posted by: 202character | July 22, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I've never had a big problem with Dibble. Last night, I didn't even hear him yelling at Guzman's homer, because I was doing the same thing. Yes, I could have done without all the nicknames as Guzman rounded the bases, but overall I much prefer Dibble's energy to Don Sutton's inanity. In fact, I think that energy--excitement over good plays and frustration over bad ones--is sometimes what's missing from Nats games at the park.

Posted by: jcj5y | July 22, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Throwing in that Angelos tidbit says it all. Whether it is Peter Angelos or John Angelos or the other idiot son, anything they have ever touched in Baltimore turns into crap. Have you seen that place lately when the Red Sox and Yankees aren't in town or the Nationals? OPACY is empty. There are more ushers than there are fans.

Matt Wieters was the #1 prospect last year and is barely batting his weight this year and Matusz was a stud pitching prospect that is having a disaster year.

So with this Angelos connection, I am thinking Angelos sent Dibble to the Nats for reasons that may not have been for the benefit of Nats fans.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | July 22, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Also, I'm a Nats fan. I get mad when they do things wrong, get bad calls against them, or catch bad breaks. When I'm at the game, I have my friends and other fans to share that attitude with. It's nice to have broadcasters act the same way. I don't want to hear someone's happy voice when the opposition makes a great play.

Posted by: 202character | July 22, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Dibble should break out his Marge Schott impression more often.

Posted by: Scottalius | July 22, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

The Marge Schott impersonation was followed by 30 seconds of the most awkward booth-silence I've ever heard.

Posted by: LouLewis | July 22, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that Washington didn't have a team for 34 years, so there aren't many former Washington baseball players that you could stick in the booth to do color.

Posted by: CapsNut | July 22, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I love Dibs. Keep it up Rob. I've always wanted a homer broadcaster for all my teams instead of gushing over other teams successes against you. If you've ever been a competitor, deep down inside you're not a good sport...because you want to win at all costs and you never want to admit the other guy was better than you. Keep Dibs with the Nats forever!!

Posted by: jbfromfc | July 22, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm pro-Dibble and staying that way. Well, till he does something really, really stupid.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 22, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Dibbs knows the game, knows the routine, understands the reasons why. Did anyone ever listen to a Cubs game on WGN? If Ron Santo could he would leep out of the press box and kiss the Cub who just got a walk off, now thats a homer! In DC if you want lap-dogs, schills and yes men tune into Larry Michaels and the rest of the Red Zebra radio hacks and ComCast creeps.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | July 22, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm chiming in on the pro-Dibble side, too. I think guys like Mottram are all wrong. Can they name an alternative that would come here today and be as loved as Chenier or Laughlin? Keep in mind that Slowes/Jagler are not available to do TV. Which leads me to another point:

Dan said it best when it was MASN (Angelos) that hires the broadcasting team. Not the Nats. Slowes/Jagler are Nats hires.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | July 22, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

i kinda like dibble too, although, im a bit surprised to see all the support. Personally, I think Ron Darling did a better job than Dibble.

In general, I think we're fortunate in the DC area to have good sports broadcasting.

Here's my ranking;

1. Buckhantz Chenier
2. Beninati Locker (close second)
3. Sonny Sam and Larry
4. Carpenter Dibble

Posted by: rtramonte5500 | July 22, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

3. Sonny Sam and Larry
4. Carpenter Dibble

Posted by: rtramonte5500 | July 22, 2010 12:39 PM

Totally agree on the first two - and sorry but the Skins radio booth love is too 1980s for me. Larry Michael is a Snyder abomination, Sam is completely lost and poor Sonny is just stuck up there. Needs to be freshened up ASAP.

My rankings (radio and TV):

1. Slowes and Jageler
2. Buck and Chenier
3. CHVOTKIN!
4. Beninati and Laughlin
5. Holiday and Knoche
HM. Dave Johnson and Glenn Consor, Carpenter and Dibble, Tony Limarzi

Posted by: Kev29 | July 22, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I heart Rob Dibble

Then again, I was a Ron Darling and Tom Paciorek fan too (Sutton was okay, but an acquired taste, for sure)

Posted by: buster_c | July 22, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I think Dibs is great. He knows the game, and he tells it straight, as it is. He doesn't puff up the Nats, when they don't deserve it, which is most of the time. But he praises them and encourages them, when they do something well, which isn't often enough. I love an honest broadcaster, instead of a guy who doesn't talk about the blunders of the team. He's one of the big reasons I watch the games. I know I'm going to get what's going on, truthfully, without sugar-coating it. Yet he loves it when we win or do something well. Gotta love him!

Posted by: mcjr | July 22, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Would Angelos put Dibble in the booth here in B'more? I'm not sure why that question is even relevant. The O's have in Jim Palmer a guy who has a direct connection with the franchise, has been involved with it for years, and who is in the HOF and sterling baseball credentials. Moreover, if Palmer left, there's a nice list of other former O's who would be equally adept at doing it.

The Nats don't have that (yet) so as a Nats fan, I'm perfectly happy with Rob "the Homer" in the booth. He roots for the team and has a lot of first-hand baseball knowledge.

Like I said, the question about putting Dibble in the booth here in Baltimore (which happened during the Nats/O's series at OPACY anyway, if we're being technical) is nonsensical and probably belies the content of the larger article.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Posted by: kungpow9960 | July 22, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Its blasphemy, but I too think its getting to the point where Sonny and Sam need to move on. Maybe put them in the pre-game show, but that era of broadcasters that they came along with (Frank and George) they are fading away.

Do it now when you still have some shine on your silver... and take Larry with you.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 22, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

First of all, to alex35332 who posted, "That broadcaster for the Phillies who died could have still done the game that night and no one would be able to tell the difference", you are a moron. That broadcaster was the Hall of Famer Harry Kalas who is one of the top 5 greatest voices in baseball history.

Second, Darling was a dud. He just didn't sound like he wanted to be here. Paciorek was entertaining and was hoping he'd be back. Sutton was good but, it sounded like you were listening to the Braves. Dibble keeps the game interesting and is not afraid to call it like he sees it. Still so-so on Carpenter though.

If they'd just dump Mr. "Bang, Zoom" I'd be really happy with their broadcast team.

Posted by: teamohall | July 22, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Count me in as a Dibble fan. It seems like it's trendy to hate on the guy. I find him entertaining and he makes the game more fun to watch. Sure, he isn't the most polished guy in the booth, but that gives him his charm. Keep it up Dibbs.

Posted by: dpkennedy | July 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"But I plan on staying around here a long time."

GEE,I hope not!

Posted by: Badwisky | July 22, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I think this qualifies as an outpouring of support for Dibble. I'm a bit surprised.

Posted by: jcj5y | July 22, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Count me pro Dibble and Carpenter too. I enjoy listening to their broadcasts, and think they'd really be fun if we won more.

Posted by: NatsFly | July 22, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I too enjoy games with Dibbs and Carpenter; they pull for the Nats, but don't hold back on analyzing them, and saying where they are going wrong & how the team could be improved.

Posted by: Hattrik | July 22, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

"Baseball purest like broadcasters that have no energy. I say F that. That broadcaster for the Phillies who died could have still done the game that night and no one would be able to tell the difference."
___________________

I lived in Philadelphia for nearly a decade, and anyone who believes Harry Kalas had no energy is nuts. He was wonderful to listen to, with genuine enthusiasm for the game. His interaction with Rich Ashburn on Phillies broadcasts was sublime. Harry ranks up there with Harwell, Scully and Mel Allen at the top of the baseball broadcasters' list.

As for Dibble, sometimes he drives me nuts, sometimes he provides real insight and isn't afraid to pull punches. Carpenter is okay, but at times a bit bland for my tastes; if he was more of a Harry Caray type (I'm referring to Harry during the 1970s, when he and Dick Allen kept the White Sox from skipping town), he could have real interplay with Dibble as Jimmy Piersall (Caray's partner on the Sox in those years).

Posted by: VPaterno | July 22, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Idiots like Diddle think the "show" is about them, not the game. Get him a job in some low-life city like Detroit or Philadelphia.

Posted by: pjohn2 | July 23, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Idiots like Dibble or Diddle or whatever (the Madden ego syndrome) think the "show" is about them, not the game. Get him a job in some low-life city like Detroit or Philadelphia.

Posted by: pjohn2 | July 23, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I like Dibble. Would be kinda cool to see him in a cage match with one of the anti-Dibble bloggers. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse