Dmitri Young says his marijuana was medicinal

Earlier this week, former National Dmitri Young was arrested and charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia and marijuana, according to several published reports.

Young, of course, has been working for the Oakland County Cruisers of the independent Frontier League, and the president of his team's ownership group suggested to the Detroit Free Press that the marijuana was being used for medical purposes. Young requested an appearance on Sirius XM's MLB Network Radio Wednesday morning, in which he said the same.

"I am doing fine, and I am not calling from jail," he joked to start the segment. "Without getting into the legalities that are still pending, I have the medical condition, of course being diabetic and having all these old aches and pains. Been to rehab before. And upon retirement been consulting with a doctor about having something to alleviate some of the pain that I've been going through in all my career.

"And I was coming home to Florida, had it in my check-in bag, they noticed something and they found it. I was in and out in about an hour, I was able to fly home and be home with my son. Today is his 11th birthday, that's what I was coming home for. I mean, I got out with a $100 fine.

"Not making any excuses. I own up to having it. And I want to thank the Oakland County Cruisers for their vast support, and their continued support. I want to thank Bill Lee, the commission of the Frontier League, and also the Frontier League itself for allowing me to be in the league and supporting me. So I want to thank them and I want to thank XM for allowing me to be on the air to explain myself and get it out in the open, so thank you. My dad and my mom, they raised people to be honest. I did it, I admit it, and for people that are out there, that's the kind of person I've always been, that's how I am. I'm a very honest person, so thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak."

(Photo via the Bloomington Pantagraph.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 7, 2010; 2:11 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall keeps his dance
Next: D.C. United joins Zimmerman all-star campaign

Comments

Dave? Dave's not here!

Posted by: nativedc | July 7, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Pathetic, that judges and "law" enforcement officers who regularly imbibe ethyl alcohol, a much bigger menace to society, are still allowed to harass people who partake of this plant (for whatever reasons). One day we will look back in collective embarrassment at this sad period, just as we do now at the other Prohibition.

And this is coming from someone who hasn't tried it in over twenty years. I just am disgusted at living in an ignorant police state.

Posted by: B2O2 | July 7, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

He plays in oakland...oaksterdam...leave him alone

Posted by: BurgwithaU | July 7, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

It took me 15 years and thousands in doctors bills to convince my grandpa to try it for his insomnia. This natural herb works wonders. We need more mainstream people to come out and say marijuana helps them. If mj was sold in pharmacies it would cost drug companies and prisons to lose billions. Go see where these two industries rank in lobbyist spending.

Posted by: deiulay | July 7, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Hold up, the Bloomington *Pantagraph*?! Holy moley, that's a name!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 7, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

And BurgwithaU, it's a different Oakland, a county up in Michigan... and apparently Michigan has a medical marijuana law on the books.

Though Dmitri should've done his homework about traveling with the stuff... that's just sloppy.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 7, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

As somewhat of an expert on the issue. The problem is that, state by state there are a range of different laws on traveling with medical marijuana.

I would say the problem is that we need some uniform federal laws about transporting medicinal marijuana, if I thought the Senate was not full of brain dead old farts who still think its a 1950 leave it to beaver world.

The truth is we need to just legalize it, tax it and cut the cops budgets to get rid of local deficits.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 8, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that we can use MMJ only in the state we got our License, does that mean we are only sick in the state we live in. We can take our Phram drugs and even a bottle of booze on the plane and take as much of it as we want but we can't be sick in any other state. How absurd is that?

Posted by: tybud27 | July 8, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Dmitri for not taking the high road on this....BRING IT !!!!!

METH IS DEATH POT IS NOT.

The law is wrong not the bong, smack is wack, coke is a joke, this is why we toke, booze and a pill will kill.

Make It Legal Make It Green/WHEN 10,000 PEOPLE MAIL $4.20 TO THE IOWA BOARD OF PHARMACY

Posted by: RevRayGreen | July 8, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse