Gilbert mulls another uniform change

Fair warning before you rush out and buy those No. 6 Arenas jerseys; Gilbert might not be done changing just yet.

"It is possible, and perhaps likely, that Gilbert Arenas will decide to change his number on his Wizards uniform this coming season," Ted Leonsis wrote on Thursday. "So, if you purchase a Gilbert Arenas jersey today and his number changes, I wanted to give you all fair warning. I think that is the honest and fair thing to do. So heads up ASAP. I apologize in advance if this number change causes any inconvenience. Thank you."

After some question about whether this meant a switch from the previously chosen No. 6, Leonsis revisited the issue.

"As to Gilbert's number, yes, he would like a different number than new number 6 -- more as it develops."

And since people seem interested in Ernie Grunfeld's comments about Gilbert, here's what he had to say last week on the Scott Van Pelt show, after he was asked whether the glut of teams clearing cap space might make Gilbert seem more attractive around the league after the free-agent dust settles.

"Well, I think there's a lot of attractive players around the league that have talent, and he's definitely one of them," Grunfeld said, "but we feel like he's gonna be a very good solid player for us. I think people forget that last year before that situation in the locker room, he was averaging 23 points and over 7 assists. And he didn't miss the rest of the season because or injury; he missed it because of the suspension. So he's a young player, he's only 28 years old, and he's an outstanding player. There aren't many players in this league that can get you 20 points on a nightly basis."

It's probably better if I stop transcribing every word on this subject and just wait to see what happens.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 1, 2010; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Strahan whacks the Haynesworth pinata
Next: Nyjer Morgan's epic postgame interview

Comments

i like these transcribes better than haynesworth transcribes... ;)

Posted by: 3tripleiii | July 1, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I wish the Wizards would mull getting rid of this oaf!!

Posted by: slimjim21787 | July 1, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

wish the Wizards would mull getting rid of this oaf!!

Posted by: slimjim21787

uuuuhhhhh! my

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | July 1, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

We will never go beyond first round abyss with him wasting valuable playing minutes OR Grunfeld and his perpetual incompetence!!

Posted by: iubiquity | July 1, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

If I were a jersey collector, I'd definitely get my hands on a #6. Just think of how rare it would be if Gil did change his number again.

Posted by: adelosr1 | July 1, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

That move by Ted shows what a great owner he is. He could have made more money by selling the jerseys, but to keep the fans happy he warns them not to rush out and by his stuff. Way to go Ted.

Posted by: Liberty4America | July 1, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

"OMFG! I'll say it again, GA is most likely the most overrated player in the Eastern Conf! He shoots about 40% FG, just average from 3, does not make his teammates better, takes bad shots, is an oft injured circus clown and VASTLY overpaid!"

Absolutely spot on!!

Posted by: slimjim21787 | July 1, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm so tired of all the GA hate. It's not his fault he got injured, and it's not his fault for signing that contract. Who wouldn't take the money offered to you? Yes, he made a mistake that he has payed for, and will continue to pay for.
But,it's like y'all developed amnesia or something. The most complaints I heard b4 all the gun incident was that he didn't play defense. Now all of a sudden he doesn't make players better, is a team cancer? How? What had AJ, or CB done before they came here, and Hughes, and DS?
GA went head to head against Kobe and scored 60. Made many clutch shots. GA has his flaws, but oh how I wish we had someone else that would attack the basket and get to the FT line.
He gave away jerserys, gave thousands of dollars to area schools, left Barry Farms barefooted because he gave his shoes away. I'm still upset with what he did, but he deserves a second shot. I hope it works with him and JW, but let's see before we throw him under a bus.
Sorry for the long message.

Posted by: Bizzie1 | July 1, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Yet another indication of the immaturity of this clown.

So Little Snookims can't decide what number he wants to wear -- or is he just trying to gauge whether anyone is still interested? What if nobody buys whatever number they're selling?

Frankly, the only jersey I'd like to see this clown in is from another team -- in the Italian Leagues, or somewhere else equally distant -- where we'll never need to hear about him again.

Posted by: Vic1 | July 2, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

You can't just change your number whenever you want. Gil would of had to file for a number change with the league back in March.

Posted by: tk15 | July 2, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bizzie1

I'M FREAKIN IMPRESSED!

Posted by: iubiquity | July 2, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I think this is Ted's way of saying 'don't buy a Gil jersey, we're gonna get rid of him soon'.

Posted by: zyvo23 | July 2, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse