Javale McGee's mom's notes

If you were watching the Wizards Summer League games on Comcast SportsNet, you saw repeated shots of JaVale McGee's basketball-playing mom Pamela, who was sitting in the front row and attracting plenty of screen time, often with pen and paper in her hand. My understanding, though, is that you were not hearing the audio of her interview, which came late in the week after it was already clear that McGee was shining. (See highlights above.) So here's what she said about her notes.

"I'm a mom," she told NBA TV. "After they get to a certain age, they kind of get deaf ears, so a lot of times, my communication is too loud. I'll say YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT THAT REBOUND. So I'll just take notes, and give him little cues, and he reads it. He's a cerebral person. Then he goes home and looks at it....We don't communicate, because after they get a certain age, you're the mom, you done told them to clean up their room, they don't hear you no more. So I just write notes, and he goes over them."

("I learn a lot," McGee later told NBA TV. "She tells me stuff that I really didn't realize, like go for the rebound. Just little stuff.")

Then she was asked if she can still take her son in one-on-one.

"You know what, I always never let him beat me," she said. "Last time I played him, I played him to three, and I told him, you've got to shoot jumpers, and he still beat me. I'll never play him again. I'm a player too, I've still got my game, I want to win too."

"That was like when I was 12," JaVale said, when asked if she could take him. "Not now."

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 20, 2010; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb still has basketball game
Next: Leonsis promises "hundreds of changes"

Comments

Love the fact that his mom played in the WNBA. Another great draft pick by Ernie Grunfeld. Javale McGee will be a starting center in this league for a long time and by the time he's done, will be one of the great shot blockers of this era.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 20, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I smell a new campbell's soup ad!

Posted by: Thundershock | July 20, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

When your starting center says he didnt realize he should go for the rebound thats not good. Momma shouldnt have to write that in the notes.

McGee is as talented as anybody in the game but hes about as bright as a box of rocks.

Posted by: DMoney28 | July 20, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DMoney28 | July 20, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with DMoney28,
not too sharp at THIS POINT in his career.
Does anyone here think he could end up having a career very similar to that of a Marcus Camby ??

Posted by: OG_Barno | July 21, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

What isn't reported here is that mom used to present the 'notes' in the form of multiple choice questions, for example:

When the ball is shot at the basket, you:
a. stare at the shot clock
b. tie your shoes
c. go for the rebound
d. dance around the court like Mick Jagger

Posted by: randysbailin | July 21, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

You guys are missing the point of Javale's mom telling him he needs to "go for the rebound."

She means that he has to identify when to focus on boxing out his man and when to attack the ball as it comes off the rim.

Some fans think that players should ALWAYS jump toward the rim to grab the rebound, but it is all about understanding where the other players are on the court. If a big man jumps toward the rim when he should have anchored in and boxed out, his man can sneak a hand in as he reaches for the ball and get a tip-in. On the flip side if he doesn't have someone to box out, but he still doesn't "go get the rebound" it opens the door for a quick player to charge in and take the rebound away.

Posted by: SportzWiz | July 21, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

SportzWiz - You hit the nail right on the head! Some fans jump out there with comments that show their lack on knowledge of the game. As a coach, I find myself trying to get guys to understand the same thing. They think just grab the rebound without boxing out. Box out first, rebound second. I think JaVale is going to develope into a solid big man if he continues to read his mom's notes and follow through. For those of you to young to know, his mom was a Beast at USC. So i think she knows what she's talking about.

Posted by: kevin_jackson1 | July 21, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

hmmm. maybe the bullets don't have a one-on-one box out drill in practice (to reemphacize 8th grade basics?) oh, that's right: these guys are pros and already know about blocking out...

Posted by: dcjazzman | July 21, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Slow down now, I need to catch up.

So your saying McGee is still learning to box out first then go for the rebound. Ahhhh? I get it now, I didnt know that. I guess we should give him more time to learn that. Or maybe we should expect our starting center to learn this concept over time. Its only his 3rd year in the league so I guess it makes sense, he just needs more time. Thanks for the lesson Sports Wiz! You should team up with Coach Jackson and compare notes on rebounding 101

I love when guys like Coach Jackson insinuate that another poster doesnt know basketball. Re read what you two are talking about, then remind yourself youre talking about a NBA player, not a rec league kid.

If the mental ever catches up to the physical with McGee the skys the limit. Ive got faith in him but when I see an idiotic comment like that it worries me.

Posted by: DMoney28 | July 22, 2010 3:31 AM | Report abuse

"he should know how to rebound already, this is the NBA" is a fine sentiment and very Bobby Knight sounding but obsolete in today's one and done league. That was one of the things that EJ seemed to buy into. The fact is a lot of the kids coming in to the NBA don't know the fundamentals. You're paying them millions, what is the problem with hiring a few assistant coaches to take extra time with your young players? Why would you throw all that money away because you're too proud to teach?

Posted by: zonkerbrainless | July 23, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse