John Wall explains his jersey number

John Wall announced that he'd be wearing No. 2 on Twitter Wednesday night, but he didn't offer much explanation, writing only that he "just felt #2 was a good number." A few hours later, though, he went on Comcast SportsNet with Chris Miller, and provided several reasons behind the choice.

* If he couldn't have 11, he wanted "anything with 1s in it, so 1 plus 1 equals 2," he told Miller.

* Two = two parents.

"One of the main reasons was for my two fans, my mom and my dad," he said, adding that he wore their initials on his sleeves at the draft. "I wanted a new number that means the most to me for my mom and my dad."

* For marketing purposes, he said he'll be able to use the Roman numeral II, which looks an awful lot like 11, which means his iconography won't have to change much.

"So we're gonna try to work some things out with it and make a good run with it," he said of his marketing team.

Miller then asked him what he'd do the first time he saw a young kid wearing a "Wall 2" jersey.

"I might ask him can I just sign it, before he even asks me," Wall said.

Also, for anyone wondering about my previous post in which I said Chris Webber wore No. 2 with the Bullets/Wizards, here's the deal. When Webber arrived in town, Scott Skiles was wearing No. 4, so Webber took the deuce. When Skiles left the next season and Webber agreed to a new contract, he took over No. 4, his collegiate number.

Also, this is from the news release announcing Webber's deal:

"This is an extremely exciting time for us," Bullets owner Abe Pollin said in the news release that announced Webber had agreed to terms. "We are going to bring an NBA championship to Washington, and Chris Webber is going to lead the way."

(And yes, you can add Wall's jersey number to "Strasburg all-star game" and "Haynesworth radio interviews" in the category of Things Steinberg Writes About Too Often.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 1, 2010; 9:18 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Grunfeld speaks with the fans
Next: Washington's "BroncoBusters" music video

Comments

He should have chosen Pi...3.14 babyyyyy

Posted by: merajc86 | July 1, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Mike Lee is reporting that Wall begged for 11. That's pretty weak.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 1, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

2-8-37

Posted by: alex35332 | July 1, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Kev29IQ---

Where did Michael Lee write that? Where is he reporting that? He begged? He got down on his knees and cried and begged? I think it's more weak to completely make up things just so you can show how tough you are. I'm sure his first choice was 11, and I'm also sure he moved on. What is it about calling people weak over the computer that makes these freaks feel so strong? There's enough going on without making stuff up.

Posted by: Urnesto | July 1, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Here you go, weirdo...

"If Livingston comes back, he will have to get a new number, since Wall announced on Twitter that he has chosen to wear No. 2. It was a difficult decision for Wall, who has worn No. 11 since he was in high school. I heard that Wall begged for No. 11 several times and really anguished over the decision, contemplating No. 3 and No. 15. Wall tweeted that he "just felt #2 was a good number."

By Michael Lee | June 30, 2010; 9:55 PM ET

Posted by: Kev29 | July 1, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, Melo will take #15 next year.

Posted by: G-SHOK | July 1, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

What number does he plan to wear when not on Twitter?

Posted by: Traveler8 | July 1, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

If he wanted '11', why didn't he take it -- it's not being worn, that I know of....

Posted by: JPMcC | July 1, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JPMcC | July 1, 2010 3:45 PM

JP - It's the retired number of hall of famer Elvin Hayes.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 1, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Is 77 available? That looks the closest to 11.

Posted by: makopi | July 1, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

This number situation should have never been a topic of discussion. Number 11 will always symbolize Big E. I remember watching the "Bullets" complete for championships as a kid and the team’s history should not be forgotten. I'm starting to get tired of Wall already (and it’s not his fault he’s only 19) and the season hasn't started. I hope one day we can talk about Wall and remember him for not only winning championships, but for his work in our community and being a solid citizen.

Posted by: leo25 | July 1, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse