John Wall wins an ESPY, Strasburg doesn't

Much as it pains me to suggest there is any meaning whatsoever in winning a made-up award named after a TV station, The Post blogged four times about John Wall's decision to skip the ESPYs ceremony Wednesday night, so I suppose we should include the D.C.-specific results.

Incidentally, Wall told me he'd watch the awards from his hotel room, but instead he wound up back in the Cox Pavilion on UNLV's campus, watching Summer League action.

* The Best Male Collegiate Athlete award was given to Wall, although it was announced during the pre-game red carpet portion of the show by Colin Cowherd, which devalues it about 70-fold. In a subsequent press release, the Kentucky athletics department pointed out that Wall also won the K-Association Male Athlete of the Year in "The CATSPY Awards," which are a "spin-off of the ESPY Awards." I'm gonna start the BOGspys, I think.

"Thanks to God and everybody that voted for me and help me win best male college athlete!!! Love y'all this means a lot to my fam and I," Wall wrote on Twitter after his ESPY was announced.

* Breakthrough Athlete was won by Chris Johnson over both Wall and Stephen Strasburg. Luckily for Wall, LeBron James suggested on Twitter that he might yet break through.

"Give me John Wall or DeMarcus Cousins for ROY this year," James wrote. "Them young cats been balling in Summer League."

"Yessir," Wall replied.

I'd put a LeBron endorsement right up there with a Cowherd one at this point.

* Best NHL Player was given to Sidney Crosby. Alex Ovechkin was also nominated. Eric Fehr, apparently, was not.

* The Performance Under Pressure award -- sorry, the "CASTROL EDGE PERFORMANCE UNDER PRESSURE AWARD -- was given to Landon Donovan, who topped Strasburg, among others. If you think the pressure of the World Cup compares to the pressure of a live MASN2 audience, we have nothing in common.

Wall will be back in Summer League action Thursday at 8 East Coast time. I'll be sure not to ask him about the ESPYS.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 15, 2010; 9:53 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bryce Harper isn't interested in contract talks
Next: Redskins invite me to join "The Loud Crowd"

Comments

You really should start your own Bog awards. They'd be far more entertaining than the ESPYs which I have never actually bothered to watch.

Posted by: karen53 | July 15, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I feel dirty even knowing what the ESPYs are, who was nominated and who won.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 15, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Can you market your awards like ESPN? The Best Benchwarmer Award sponsored by Pinesol? The Best Checking Forward, sponsored by Dave's Chess Club of Greater Fairfax? Best Major League Pitcher, sponsored by Rex's Sand Paper?

I believe this idea has merit.

This post brought to you by the good people at Post-It Notes, tear one off.

Posted by: dwelkinor | July 15, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

You always have nasty comments about people of color Dan Stonehead...Hey, Baldberg, who will it be next, your pigherd?

Posted by: clifton3 | July 15, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

My boycott of ESPN is in full swing, and I didn't even know that the ESPY's were coming up. This goes into a big "who cares" file.

I'd like to know if there was a feed of some other network so I can watch the British Open this weekend. I guess I could always listen to it on Sirius/XM.

Posted by: RojoJohnson | July 15, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"... although it was announced during the pre-game red carpet portion of the show by Colin Cowherd, which devalues it about 70-fold."

Classic. It's funny because it's true.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | July 15, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Rojo. Please keep us up to date on your personal boycott of ESPN.

Posted by: Urnesto | July 15, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I had it on while I was doing something else. It was sickening when 2 of the talking heads said "The decision" was the biggest sports moment of the year". Give me a break.

Posted by: chopin224 | July 15, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Clifton3, do the world a favor and never comment on anything ever again. Accusing Dan Steinberg of being bigoted against people of color might be the most idiotic comment ever posted on a Washington Post blog (and that's really quite an achievement)

Posted by: Barno1 | July 15, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I nominate myself for the BOGspy for "Best Infrequent Commenter With Little To Add." I know the competition will be fierce in the category, but I like my chances.

Congrats to Wall, by the way.

Posted by: walkdwalk | July 15, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I love how Crosby wins for hockey every year even though he hasn't been named an NHL MVP since 2007.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | July 15, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

" nominate myself for the BOGspy for "Best Infrequent Commenter With Little To Add." I know the competition will be fierce in the category, but I like my chances."

It's nothing compared to the competition for "Best Frequent Commenter With Little to Add." The ballot will run pages.

Posted by: zimbar | July 15, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

lol @ zimbar...

Posted by: walkdwalk | July 15, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Related News -- MUST READ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George Karl Receives Jimmy V Award at 2010 ESPYs