Kasten on Haynesworth

"Inevitable" hardly starts to describe the likelihood of me eventually posting a radio transcript of Stan Kasten talking about Albert Haynesworth. I'm pretty sure I've dreamed about doing this three or four times. This week. It's like I was born to write this post.

"I was distressed, let's put it that way," Kasten said, when asked about Haynesworth on ESPN 980's Lunch with a Legend program. "As a fan, it felt wrong. I know the history about him coming here just a year ago, and I saw the box that he put his team in, and a new team, a team that is off to a great start in terms of perception and hopefulness with a new GM and a new coach. It really was unfortunate.

"I don't know the player, and I don't know all the rules in particular. I know them generally, I know the salary cap generally, but it did seem to be below the belt, and that's something that even the union should get very involved in policing. It's not a good thing for the union to allow that. Let me say this on behalf of the baseball union: that's something they would never tolerate.

"You don't see holdouts in baseball, you don't see guys trying to change their contract. They're very tough on some things -- baseball continues to be the only sport without a real salary-restraint mechanism in place -- but they make you live up to the contract that you signed. They make you play it out. They make you honor it, and at least in the case of breaching contracts, they're very good.

"Because it has hurt the player, it's hurt all the rest of the players. And this was the rarest of all possibilities. I only had it once in my career, where teammates would come out against a player. That never happens. The one time in my life that it happened was with John Rocker, but that happened here, and that should be all you need to know about what was right and what was wrong."

At this, the fans began clapping.

Now that this is out of the way, here are the five people I most want to hear talk about Albert Haynesworth: Rob Dibble, Jim Zorn, Gilbert Arenas, Greivis Vasquez and Alexander Semin. And I guess Haynesworth, too.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 22, 2010; 2:04 PM ET
Categories:  Nats , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Strasburg makes Orlando Cabrera fall down
Next: Cincinnati loves Strasburg

Comments

"here are the five people I most want to hear talk about Albert Haynesworth: Rob Dibble, Jim Zorn, Gilbert Arenas, Greivis Vasquez and Alexander Semin. And I guess Haynesworth, too."

what about Joe Gibbs?

Posted by: DCJonesy | July 22, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@DCJonesy Gibbs gave his take on the Haynesworth situation last month in his typical diplomatic fashion:

"Now, certainly as a Redskin fan, I would sure hope that he would be there. I mean, he if took a bunch of money - and I don't know that he did that - but if he did, then I think certainly a person that makes a contractual obligation to somebody has an agreement. Hey, it's their word. They made a deal. They made a contract. Live up to it."

Posted by: MillBurray | July 22, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The contract situation is also occurring in the NBA. Fans know that these guys are making tens of millions of dollars, the owners are making millions of dollars, and the networks are making millions. The fans are paying it. The thing that puts fans in the seat is their desire to see the players that they admire go out and compete. When the players leave the team, many times a fan loses a bit of feeling for the team, especially in basketball with so few people on a team. This collusion and not living up to contracts annoys the fans. Haynesworth not competing annoys the fans. Thuggery and "me, me, me" annoys the fans. The economy is making it where people have to make tougher decisions concerning their entertainment dollar. LeBron, Chris Paul, next Carmelo, and Haynesworth are making people turn off on sports. A desire to win the rings is the right thing, colluding to rob the fans of their reason to go to the game is not. A dream team to show Americas talent is not the same thing as stacking the deck in the NBA. Fans need to realize that they can lose their players just as easily as they can steal someone elses. The league needs to stop these iron clad guaranteed contracts, like Arenas's and guaranteed signing bonus's like Haynesworth to athletes that do not live up to their end of the contract. Do not blame the team, it is the unions that negotiated the contract language.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | July 22, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Could we get the Tea Party to comment on Fat Albert?

Posted by: alex35332 | July 22, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Do you have a Russian interpreter? If not, make sure OV is there.

Posted by: puckman | July 22, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I'd be interested in what Lebron James has to say about Haynesworth, but he probably wouldn't be able to decide until he knew what Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh thought.

Posted by: bucky_katt | July 22, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

This whole thing was the Redskin's fault. If they had built a large oxygen tent, with an AYCE buffet, a couple of strippers, and guards to keep out bill collectors, sheriffs and lawyers, Haynesworth would have been here.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | July 22, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert has got to go...untraded.

If Snyder wants to make an everlasting impact on this sport then he'll take a stand,sue Albert for at least the bonus...keep him under contract,unperforming and untraded.Who can afford a mult million dollar lawsuit more ...Albert or Snyder ?

Stand up to the contract ignoring,loser and make sure he's busted and unavailiable for any team in the country.

Posted by: petebowling1 | July 22, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Kasten is pouring salt on the open sore that is the Haynesworth situation as payback for the Redskins announcing the McNabb signing on opening day.

OK StanK, you got you're shot in, now go put together the second highest bid on some free agents.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | July 22, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Zorn will be great and you'll have lot's of reason to talk about him as he now coach's the 10 Superbowl MVP, JOE FLACCO! 4200 35 12! Book IT!

Go Ravens HON

Posted by: jdb70 | July 22, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Go Ravens HON

Posted by: jdb70 | July 22, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Zorn will be "great"...what an idiot!!..typical Baltimore cat, everything about Baltimore sucks except your crab cakes.."How bout dem O's HON"..B$otch!!

Posted by: tazz2323 | July 22, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tazz2323 | July 22, 2010 8:32 PM
------------------------
Actually, they have a couple of nice golf courses and Little Italy too. Other than that, tho, you're right.

Posted by: shanks1 | July 23, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse