Leonsis promises to mop Verizon Center floors

No, really. Literally. Ted Leonsis has literally promised to mop the floors of Verizon Center, himself. From his latest blog, further explaining why he's been placing such a premium on customer service since taking over the Wizards and Verizon Center.

I dare anyone out there to take a differing position and tell me why NOT listening and responding to customers on any and all requests is a better strategy for success.

Soon I will work with our cleaning staff after a game. I want to literally clean up after our fans. Mop the floors. Pick up the garbage and clean the seats. I want to understand what goes into the process of keeping the building clean. I want to have personal data of what is involved. I want to have real life experiences of literally every job in the building.

I think that is authentic, honest, and educational. And truly productive.

He also promised better AT&T connectivity for iPhone customers in Verizon Center, which is actually an issue many fans have mentioned to me.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 21, 2010; 2:22 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Caps' and Wizards' joint ticket operation
Next: Tim Kurkjian bobblehead night

Comments

Could Ted Leo be any awesomer? I mean, c'mon already, this guy just keeps finding new ways to kick ass.

I can't wait to see him hoist the trophy when one of his teams wins a title... one of these days...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 21, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Dan, have you mentioned to him about all of your mouse encounters?

Posted by: gidge | July 21, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

iPhone service at Fedex Field and Nats Park is horrendous as well. No texts go in or out and within in an hour two I'll get my 15 texts or whatever.

Posted by: HogsHaven | July 21, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Crappy iPhone service at the VC has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Arena and EVERYTHING with the crappy product both the iPhone and AT&T's reception is. Suck it up, iPhone users: you bought a sh*tty product. I am sick and tired of iPhone/AT&T users expecting America to bend over backwards for them because they bought a sh*tty product.

Sucks to be you. Now wipe your nose and change your diaper.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | July 21, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

If Leonsis was really a visionary, he'd figure out a way to brick your phone the minute you tried to use it during a sporting event.

I've tried killing these people with my mind, but it doesn't work. Maybe Ted can figure it out.

Posted by: bryc3 | July 21, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

As an iPhone user who's perfectly happy with AT&T and the device itself, I find it comforting to keep in mind the Louis C.K. 'Life is Amazing' bit.

The fact that I have a hand-held computer that shoots my phone calls through space and doesn't keep me tethered to a wall like calls did as a teenager, well, it's sort of easy to forgive occasionally spotty service if you think of it like that.

But kudos to Leonsis for trying to fix.

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | July 21, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I think the easy way to look at this is that Ted is treating his teams more like a normal company CEO would treat their company. He realizes (which a lot of sports owners don't) that even if there are only 30 teams in a league, there is other competition for people's time and money.

Kuddos to him for the amazing amount of common sense things he's done with the Caps so far. A lot of times it really is the little things.

Posted by: M__N | July 21, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree with hogs haven any more. As a STH, my biggest complaints about Verizon are 1. iPhone/AT&T coverage is non-existent. Same with Nat's Park. 2. Beer holders in the bathroom (can't wait to see the remedy) 3. Beer/food running out. Nothing worse than trying to get a Miller Lite at the 1st intermission and finding the keg's kicked. 4. Slow Ass Service. This has improved on many levels over the past two years, but there are still a lot of girls working the concessions that don't give two spits as to whether fans get back to their seats in time to see action. The dawdling in pouring a coke and grabbing some fries when you're trying to quick make it back to your seat before a TV time out ends is brutal.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | July 21, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Clone Teddy's brain and transplant it into the Danny's...He would NEVER take these steps to reach out to his fanbase, his PAYING CUSTOMER.

And you know what else? I think Steady Teddy does this publicly to ALSO get at the Danny...He's rubbing his face in it, showing who's the best owner in town.

Man, if Steady Teddy owned the Skins too, whoa...that would in-friggin-credible

I can dream

Posted by: kahlua87 | July 21, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

He will be hoisting two trophies, one in each hand, you know, to go with that neatly tucked mop...

Posted by: KarK | July 21, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

To DisgustedinArlington: Beer holders in the bathroom?! Really? You need to drink while you are in the very process of disposing of what you already drank? You can't wait until you come out? I think I'm now Disgusted in DC.

No, if we are going to work on the bathrooms, Mr. Leonis, let's please expand the ladies rooms!

Posted by: fmjk | July 21, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fmjk | July 21, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

What a blowhard Leonsis is.

Posted by: poguesmahone | July 21, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

to fmjk,
This is a great idea. What are you supposed to do if you buy a beer/soda or have one not finished when you have to go to the bathroom? Just leave it in your seat for someone to do god knows what to until you get back? How do you find shelves above the urinal a bad idea? You are an idiot.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | July 21, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dochs1 | July 21, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

>>>Um...Last i checked the wizards and caps played in the same arena shouldn't he already know the process of keeping the building clean?

Leonsis didn't own the arena until the recent ownership change. So I guess you could argue he should've taken more interest in the fan feedback all along, but he couldn't technically *do* anything about it until now.

Posted by: blackjack65 | July 21, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Personal data about cleaning up trash after the game? This guy's beginning to sound like a bit of a fruit cake...

Posted by: randysbailin | July 21, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Ted has some character, who knows maybe he's this era's Jack Kent Cooke.

Posted by: Eman8 | July 21, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

That's the way ALL businesses should be run. Go Ted !!

Posted by: aginsburg | July 21, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone doubt he'll do it. The guys a genuine guy who's made it big and with some luck he may just turn the bullets around. Imagine NBA playoff game in DC as events! what 10 or so in the last 30 years.....

Posted by: jdb70 | July 21, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't he just do this with the Capitals?

Posted by: DaleGribble | July 22, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Ted is incredible to be sure, but the first order of business must be to change the name back to Bullets..

Posted by: wewintheylose | July 22, 2010 2:46 AM | Report abuse

Suckers!

The Wiz will be in the toilet this year and the next and the next.

I've seen this story before, Hype+Marketing=NO Championship!

Was it not five or six years ago the team that was just dismantle. Were the future?

Look the Wiz could have signed one of the big free agents but NO they took the easy road. Draft!
How has that worked out for the Clippers or Warriors?

Yea, changing the name might help! lol

Posted by: shamken | July 22, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

i think the use of cell phones in the stands is annoying. phone usage should be limited to the concourse area not in the seating area. people come to watch the game not listen to people have phone conversations.

Posted by: fkterp | July 22, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Big Deal. Dan Snyder is going to mop floors too...

He'll be the mop and the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants will be doing the mopping.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | July 22, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

How has that worked out for the Clippers or Warriors?

Posted by: shamken

How has the draft worked out for the bulls. The draft works. Not to mention who in their right mind would give up a #1 Draft Pick. Especially with J-Dub as the #1 pick.

Posted by: TCM80 | July 22, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

@ shamken You have no idea what you're talking about do you? Also, the Iphone is really a crappy device on a crappy network.

Posted by: jbworldwide | July 22, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Ted, please buy the Nats!

Posted by: egoodman8 | July 22, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Sir Leonsis,

Please take over the Nationals and our beloved Washington Redskins. Additionally, I truly believe that if this world had more Ted Leonsis in it, it would be a much better place.

One of your many, many fans,
NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | July 22, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Right up until the day he retired as President and CEO of Honda, Mr. Honda worked on the assembly line one day a month to keep in touch with what the workers experience. The 1st time I went to a Caps game after Ted acquired them, he was the guy who took my ticket when I entered the arena. Seems like Ted is following the same path. Good for him.

Posted by: chopin224 | July 22, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Ted can you help Danny build a stadium near a Metrostation?

Posted by: jercha | July 22, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Dan. These comments from Ted regarding improving Verizon Center reminds of an issue at Nats Park that I find laughable, and wonder if you ever investigated. Nats Park is the only local pro sporting facility that doesn't show the live game on its large videoscreen. Nats Park has a state-of-the-art videoscreen but the only live action is two replays a game, batters in the on deck circle adjusting their jock strap, and Clint the game host interviewing fans in the stands. What a waste. All I can figure is that MASN's exclusive broadcast rights include the Park itself, so the Nats' only options are to (1) show the MASN broadcast, including commercials, on the big screen, as they do on the TVs throughout the concourses; or (2) don't show any live action of the game itself - which is what they do.

In contrast, Comcast has exclusive rights for the Caps and Wiz locally, but Verizon Center can broadcast the game live on the videoscreen at the game (without Comcast's commercials), Fed Ex can show the Skins games live on its videoboard, and M&T Bank Stadium can show the Ravens game live on its screen. Why can't the Nats work out some arrangement with MASN to be able to show the game and all replays live; it's not like MASN is losing viewers as the attendees at Nats Park wouldn't be able to watch MASN at the game anyway.

I regularly hear people at Nats Park marvel at the large videoscreen, but it is an immense waste of pixels when used solely as a static scoreboard or a two-story video of Clint asking fans trivia questions.

Posted by: Monty2 | July 22, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse