Orioles fan's epic streaking adventure

I generally avoid Orioles news, but this one seems to nicely encapsulate the current state of baseball to our immediate North. Or Northeast.

In Philadelphia, they tase their streakers. In Baltimore, they languidly allow them to flit about the basepaths, from the field to the stands and back, on a guided tour of the greater right field metropolis, until gradually tiring themselves out and meekly submitting to the authorities.

There's some sort of metaphor for Baltimore baseball fandom in there: an initial burst of insanely entertaining passion, a long middle period where the excitement continues way past the point of logic, a sort of sad late period where you just start feeling sorry for all involved, and then, ultimately, a pitiful ending. It makes for great viewing, all in all.

Also, I'm pretty sure Stan Kasten can complete a radio interview in less time than this video takes.

(Via Mister Irrelevant)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 23, 2010; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  Orioles
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Allen says McNabb will be a Redskin "for years"
Next: Livan Hernandez secret: waking up early

Comments

That is one of the worst displays of law enforcement I think I have ever seen. I am glad I do not live in Baltimore and depend on those guys for my protection.

Posted by: rademaar | July 23, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

For someone to be a streaker don't they need to not have any clothes on? This is not a streaker, technically speaking. I guess he is naked under his clothes, right?

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | July 23, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

It is perfect that - in the end - it is the umpire that gets the kid to give up.

Posted by: BrentwoodGuy | July 23, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

have another donut, cops

Posted by: hockeypunk | July 23, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Did the kid spend the night in central booking?

Posted by: pppp1 | July 23, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

An embarassment, just like the Orioles. Angelos should be proud!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | July 23, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

taze him

Posted by: rvrtis | July 23, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Where's Mike Curtis when you need him?

Posted by: LouLewis | July 23, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Back in 2005 I was at a Nats game at RFK where there was a lengthy rain delay before it even started due to a thunderstorm. While the tarp was still down on the infield, some guy jumped out of the stands and went all Rick Dempsey on it. It was hilarious watching the fat security guards try to corral him as he moved all over that rain slicked surface. Much more entertaining than the performance of the Orioles security guards with their runaway fan last night. Maybe that's why Nats tickets cost more - you get much more entertainment for your money.

Posted by: FeelWood | July 23, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MillBurray | July 23, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I hate to bring up the race card, but if that would've been a black man( I doubt because only a handful of blackmen go to baseball games) the police might have just shot him right there in front of the 5,000 + Orioles fans. I guess they were eating to many Bogg Powell hot dogs to catch the guy.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | July 23, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I should add that, understandably, the O's haven't exactly been providing the sort of entertainment or controversy that warrants coverage. Well, with the exception of one fun loving fan. If I was that kid, I would've slid head first into second and mimed a spectacular catch at the wall to rob a home run... you know, to show the fans how entertaining baseball can be.

Posted by: MillBurray | July 23, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"I do wish there was more real O's coverage considering there are many individuals like myself who grew up cheering for the only baseball team in town and still cherish those memories enough to maintain loyalty.

I'm sorry, but my fascination with Strasburg won't ever replace those magical childhood memories of Cal, Murray, Brady, Hoiles, Alomar, Palmeiro, Baines, Olson, and even Mussina. No matter how bad the team stinks now, Camden Yards will always be the baseball heaven that I felt when I was a child. (sorry Iowa)"

Read the Sun

Posted by: JDB1 | July 23, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but Bhawlmuher isn't D.C. and never will be.

Posted by: CapsNut | July 23, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

In addition to the O's runner, the Baltimore Sun Crime Beat blog has a nice compilation of other security forces in action. The Red Sox sample is the most gratifying.

Posted by: kungpow9960 | July 23, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

There's more then plenty of O's coverage .. yes, of a team that has not had a winning record since 1997.

Angelos would rather force you to watch the crappy O's on MASN rather then put a good team on the field - geesh, that would cost him money.

Posted by: boblas | July 23, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA @ the Orioles.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 23, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

That guy looks like a total fool. That's the only entertainment poor O's fans got last night. Plus the funny blowups by the O's manager and Ty Wiggintonn. Arguing something useless... it wasn't like the O's were going to score a run anyway. Didn't make a single difference. Hahah.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 23, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

DAN STEINBERG: You are no different than the so called “Nats” fans who reside in DC. Nats fans love to bash the O’s, but guess what?? The Nats SUCK. They SUCK worse than the O’s. They got swept by the O’s. Talk about records all you want. Let’s have the Nats and O’s switch divisions and see what the respective records would be. The O’s play in the best division in baseball, the Nats play in pathetic NL East. The Nats are not contenders, and will not be for wuite sometime. The O’s will be contenders long before the Nats will. Any logical baseball fan knows this. All of you “Nats” fans were probably wearing Oriole hats 5 years ago anyways, losers. And Nats stadium doesn’t even hold a candle to Camden Yards.

So an Steinberg, enough with all the Nats cr@p you continue to write about. It’s football season and the Nats will be back page material once again.

Posted by: cj658 | July 23, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore has the worst record in baseball. End of discussion.

Posted by: LouLewis | July 23, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

There's no question the Orioles are the worst team in baseball this year, BY FAR. Ask any baseball person and they won't even have to think about it. But it's okay, continue to make yourself believe you are not that bad.

Explain to me where your logic is when you say the Orioles will be contenders before the Nats. You shouldn't throw stuff out without backing it up. So start explaining. It sure looks to me we've got a much brighter future than you guys.

And don't use the best division argument to try to make excuses. That's a totally lame excuse. That excuse is for losers.

You just sound like a bitter old man. You're just jealous we got Strasburg and Bryce Harper.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 23, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

30-65.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 23, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Explain to me please.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 23, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Do all you Nats fans live in lala land?? NEWS FLASH: The Nats are 14.5 games out of first place (in LAST PLACE), and they play in one of the weakest divisions in baseball. They built a shiny new stadium, and still struggle to fill it. How’s that for the “state of baseball” in DC??

I live in DC (have so my whole my life), but I remain an O’s fan for life, because that is who I grew up rooting for. It’s something called loyalty, something that most of the transplants in this town know nothing about. All of you baboons just jumped on the Nats wagon as soon as they arrived.

And yes, the O’s WILL be contenders before the Nats. Jones, Markickass, Wieters, Bell, Matusz, etc. That is a core of young talent that will be around for years to come. Who’s the Nats hopes riding on? A guy who plays one out every five games?? Give me a break. Oh wait, I forgot Willie Harris and Nyjer Morgan LOL!!!

Again, the O’s play in the best in division in baseball by FAR. If the Nats were in the AL East, they would have the worst record in baseball too.

Misery loves company, and I see you Nats fans know that all too well. Losers.

Posted by: cj658 | July 23, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Talk about police officers who did not give a rat's tail about catching that kid....

Posted by: CF11555 | July 23, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

DAN STEINBERG: You are no different than the so called “Nats” fans who reside in DC. Nats fans love to bash the O’s, but guess what?? The Nats SUCK. They SUCK worse than the O’s. (remainder of rant snipped...)

Posted by: cj658

-------------------

@ cj658:

Of course the Nats suck, but at least we don't have to go to Baltimore to see them.

I love seeing you O's fans all riled up.

Great stuff! Visit anytime.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 23, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

As a resident of Baltimore City who also happens to root for DC teams (I'm a DC-area native), please let me make clear that cj658 is not representative of our city. He probably lives in Essex or, even worse, Glen Burnie and still whines about how his beloved Colts snuck out of town- despite the fact that the Colts couldn't draw more than 25,000 fans per game in their final year in Baltimore.

Posted by: mgonter | July 23, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Teams like the O's that are attendance-challenged should run raffles or lotteries to select streakers for designated games.

With 9-inning games stretching to 3 or 4 hours due to TV commercials and whatnot, the fans would get a welcome bit of action and anticipation during boring or one-sided games.

The Orioles' "STREAKER DERBY" could include a few nude girl streakers [no fatties or uglies] on unannounced dates. That way, horny guys would buy more tickets in hope of seeing some nice skin. And if enough women indicated they'd go for it, naked guys would be part of the fun, too. Beer-guts not welcome.

All pre-registered streakers -- clothed and nude -- would streak on a strictly voluntary basis, with an imposed streaking time of not more than seven (7) minutes. Naked participants would be escorted off the field by same-sex officials.

So, what d'ya say, gang?

Think owner pizza face will go for it?

Posted by: kinkysr | July 23, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Lt. Daniels would not have put up with that crap. He'd have Hurc chasing this guy down, the Western District way.

Posted by: dpkennedy | July 23, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

And you sir, live in lala land as well. You don't make a good argument. Naming all those players doesn't guarantee the Orioles will become a contender before the Nats. That's just you being a homer and wearing rose colored glasses. You say the Nats would be just as bad if they played in the AL East? Well guess what? You guys aren't moving divisions so you're going to have to deal with it. You play who you are given. You're still going to have to play the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, and Blue Jays. You guys suck worse than the Nats, so you shouldn't even be trash talking. The Nats may not be so good, but the Orioles are definitely worse than them.

"You Nats fans just can’t seem to grasp the notion that you team sucks, so you enjoy making wise cracks about the O’s."

Just like Orioles fans just can't seem to grasp the fact that your team sucks. And just so you know, Orioles fans bashed the Nationals and made fun of them a ton the last couple of years. You dish it out but can't take it. You're getting a taste of your own medicine. I like this though, hopefully the O's and the Nats will have a good rivalry in the years to come, since we have so much hatred for each other.

By the way, who would your ace be? .....

And no one cares about Camden Yards. Honestly.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 23, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

A tip o' the hat to mgonter; I'm a DC native who doesn't really root against Baltimore teams as a policy. It's been harder in recent years as O's fans tried to make themselves feel better by trashing the Nationals (and I really dislike the way they trash the National Anthem).

But it's hard not to respect Ripkin, Eddie Murray, Frank and Brooks Robinson and the "Oriole Way" of yesteryear. That's a great sports franchise being held hostage by the owner. Redskins fans suffering under Snyder should feel sympathy.

If cj wanted to bet on "first to .500," postseason chances or some other measure of respectability, I'd happily take his/her bet and money. But internet trash talkers are not known for paying off their debts.

Posted by: JCCfromDC | July 23, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

George Constanza as "Body Suit Guy" was better than this guy.

Posted by: bbride1 | July 23, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

As a DC area native who now lives in Baltimore City I have to say both cities have a bandwagon mentality. I grew up loving the Redskins, Orioles and Bullets/Wizards (too young to care when the Colts left) and no matter how mediocre they are I will always love those teams. Even with stupid owners like Snyder and Angelos and years of losing seasons I can't bring myself to really care what happens with the Nats or Ravens because far as I'm concerned they are still the Expos and Browns.

Fans from both cities want to act like they never rooted for the Orioles or Redskins.
But when Baltimore didn't have a football team and the Redskins were winning and DC didn't have a baseball team and the Orioles were winning no one had a problem with the 50 miles between the two cities. Then they start losing and the Expos and Browns show up and all people want to do is bash the other city's team. I'd like to see the Nats and Ravens do well but I'm not emotionally invested in them like the Redskins and Orioles so it doesn't really matter to me.

Oh yeah I love the Orioles and it seems they have finally developed an above average farm system but you can't underestimate Angelos' ability to screw it up. With the Angelos factor and the current state of the AL East you gotta think that Nats have a brighter future even with their farm system that they are trying to resurrect out of the ashes of the Expos.

Posted by: mwood9 | July 23, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mwood, I'm a DC native who never rooted for the O's. Born in DC Hospital Center, I've been a Yankee fan since the early 70's (no bandwagoner here), even though at the time the Yankees sucked and the O's were the class of the AL - I just wasn't going to root for a Baltimore team, and the history of the Yankees appealed to my brother and me. I used to respect the O's, though, for the way they played the game. It's sad what Angelos has done to that team.

I've never hated Baltimore teams per se, but having Baltimore fans tell me for years that DC didn't need a ball club "because they could root for the Orioles" but then when I told them they didn't need a football team because they could root for the Redskins, well, "that's completely different." And hollering "OH!" during the National Anthem is classless. With Angelos keeping baseball out of DC for years and hosing the team's broadcast rights it's hard not to take some joy out of the O's current predicament - but I do try to be a better person than that.

And give the Nats a break - the Orioles are just the St. Louis Browns, after all, and the Redskins actually got their start in Boston! :D

Posted by: JCCfromDC | July 24, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I understand anyone's hatred for Angelos, hes despicable. He has made me question my devotion to the Orioles regularly over the years.

I'd like to see the Nationals and Ravens do well though I don't really care that much. Plus Ravens fans make it very tough to root for their team because all I hear is negative things about the Redskins.

Ha, indeed the Orioles arrived in '54 from St Louis and the Redskins in '37 from Boston but that was way before my time. I can't fault a kid growing up in Baltimore for rooting for the Ravens because that's all hes known but I've never really been able to buy into the Ravens completely, even after attending at least a couple games a year. I can root for them but my heart isn't really in it. I guess its all about perspective.

Posted by: mwood9 | July 24, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

The reason cops didn't bother running hard after this kid because frankly he's in much better shape than any of them. Plus he had long legs like cheetah. lol

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 25, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

You want an explanation on why the O's are better than the Nats? 4-2 season series. Head to head, the orioles are better. period, end of story, no discussion necessary. The difference in record is purely based on the Orioles playing in the impossible AL East (3 of the top 5 teams in MLB).

Are the Orioles good? Not in any way. They suck. But guess what? The nationals suck too and they are not better than the Orioles.

Furthermore, there are 2 kinds of nationals fans:

1) Those who used to root for the orioles and are therefore traitors.

2) Those who never really cared about baseball before and are therefore just people who know nothing about baseball.

So nationals fans can be summed up in this way: unintelligent traitors. As a resident of Montgomery County, I grew up loving the Redskins, Wizards (Bullets), Capitals and....Orioles. Because they were our team whether you like it or not. The post even used to cover them. I prefer to stay loyal to my teams. You guys enjoy Strasburg and Bryce Harper and I'll stick with my team through thick and (mostly) thin like you guys didn't.

When the Orioles eventually start to win again, the joy I will have will be something you Nationals fans will never know.

Posted by: dkitsou | July 26, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey he was more exciting than watching then watching the ballgame.

But I do question why so many people on the field could NOT catch the guy, especially after he ran into the seats and then back onto the field?

The cops could have gang tackled him.

A previous poster was right, where's Mike Curtis when needed?

Posted by: memyselfI1 | July 27, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

JCCfromDC - get the heck out of here you yankees traitor. New Yorks is here you should live, not here.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | July 27, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse