Redskins invite me to join "The Loud Crowd"

Early Thursday morning, I received an invitation from the Redskins to "Join the LOUD CROWD" by buying "Limited View Terrace Seats" for the upcoming season. This was my first invitation to buy non-premium Redskins tickets since I joined the wait list in 2007, making it a momentous day indeed. Since you may also have received this invitation, I'll answer a few questions.

What is the Loud Crowd?

The Loud Crowd is another name for the Limited View Terrace Seats, also known as the obstructed view seats, which were added to FedEx Field in 2004. They're located in the lower level, with varying degrees of obstructiveness. The team is inviting me -- and others -- to go visit the stadium to check out these seats, as they apparently do every year for a subset of wait list members whose names have not yet come up for regular seats.

Why is it called the Loud Crowd?

The obstructed view seats are built on aluminum risers, where stomping can generate noise.

Why did you, Dan Steinberg, get the offer this season?

Similar offers to fans on the wait list have been made in past seasons, and this year they added the 2007 wait listers to the queue. A team official said the limited view seats have sold about three times as fast this year as last, and that only around 50 remain. If you're on the wait list and you buy these Loud Crowd seats, you do not lose your place in the wait list.

What sort of rhetoric was used in your offer?

It'll sound familiar to you, but here it is:

With the arrival of new Head Coach Mike Shanahan, General Manager, Bruce Allen and Quarterback Donovan McNabb, the Future is Now!...Be here when we go head to head with our division rivals, Cowboys, Eagles and Giants....This is your chance to be a part of the action. Don't miss it!

Are you, Dan Steinberg, going to be a part of the Loud Crowd in 2010?

I guess until they pull my credentials, I'll just keep going to the press box, but you never know.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 15, 2010; 10:36 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall wins an ESPY, Strasburg doesn't
Next: Redskins have the least young talent in the NFL?

Comments

I received this message 2 or t3 weeks ago and got another one today. I have season tickets through family, but I am on the list waiting for my own as the existing ones can't be handed down. I am in the 400, so I contemplated buying these as the prices are similar just to eliminate the need for me to get on the on/off escalator or hike up the ramps every week.

Go here for more details on what you can and cannot see.

Posted by: justmy2 | July 15, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Are you sure these are not the new aluminum seats that were showing in recent pictures above the new scoreboards?

Posted by: bbmcoachk | July 15, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

So basically they are taking a page from soccer supporters sections. About damn time.

Posted by: arswift24 | July 15, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

To paraphrase a George Allen quote "90,000+ fans can't be wrong!"

several weeks ago I got a phone call from a Skins ticket agent wanting me to purchase a premium seat package for the upcomming season. I told him that I would not purchase any ticket package of any kind until ALL of the tickets sold to ticket agents (who would sell to the opposition fans) have been reclaimed and subsequently sold to REAL Redskins fans. Are you listening Danny Boy????

Posted by: rillbizi | July 15, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Mark's got a great write-up there, but the angle of the seating is worse than you'd think even from his pictures.

That's from 2007 when Portis scores. Pretty obstructed.

Here's what the Skins used to hand out to show the obstruction:

Real life similar view (note the pillar blocking 20 yards of field):
Jumbotron blockige:

They're really not horrible seats. I don't know why folks sit in the upper bowl; you can't see jack there and would be better off at home. Here, you get the feel of the stadium and, 50% of the time ;^D, a better view that you could get on TV. Still, once Gibbs left, I turned my OV seats back in.

Posted by: WorstSeat | July 15, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

To paraphrase a George Allen quote "90,000+ fans can't be wrong!"

Posted by: rillbizi | July 15, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Good for you, Rill! This is no longer "our" team. It's Danny's team and we're paying for the "privilege" of cheering for it. I can watch from home.

Posted by: stwasm | July 15, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I sat in those seats for the November 2008 Monday night game against Pittsburgh. We paid way too much through stub-hub, had to practically crawl our way up to our seats given the low ceiling, couldn't see either end zone or even the opposite side of the field. Oh, and we were also completely surrounded by Steelers fans, the Redskins sucked, and we walked past at least four on-going fights in the parking lot on the way back to the metro. Please Dan, have a look at the seats and let us know what you think. I personally will never set foot in FedEx Field again.

Posted by: clocker58 | July 15, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"The Loud Crowd." What a joke.

The only reason to buy obstructed view seats is the possibility of moving to unoccupied seats in the upper deck during the game. Otherwise, you might as well stay home and watch the game on TV, since you'll actually be able to see it that way--and not have to pay Danny Boy's crazy concession prices if you want a beer.

Posted by: acoberst1 | July 15, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I would think with a waiting list of 200,000 or 2 million or whatever it is these days,it would be no problem filling up these seats. A block of concrete and a tv monitor in one's grill would make a wonderful way to spend an afternoon or evening at Fed Ex. With a $8 beer in hand.

Posted by: ridgely1 | July 15, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I will not attend a game until the team moves back to DC into a good new stadium... or actually if they play in RFK as is I will go to that too.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 15, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

We were part of the "Loud Croud" for two years. When we moved down there from the upper deck, the ticket agent said it meant a shorter wait to move into legitimate lower-level seats. And, low and behold, after two seasons with an obstructed view, we were offered 12th-row seats in the end zone. So anyone who is interested in this offer might want to ask if purchasing these seats enhances your chances of getting better seats in the future.

Posted by: gburggal | July 15, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Snyder has his minions marketing the hell out of these bad seats. They keep using the new acquisitions (Shan-Allen, McNabb) as marketing tools. I seriously doubt they will do anything on the field. I wish people would see Snyder for who he is, and that's a Ponzi scam artist.

"Snyder is a bad man with a dark heart"

-John Riggins

Posted by: RojoJohnson | July 15, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

There is no wait list. It's all a lie!

Posted by: jwash4472 | July 15, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse