Redskins: "No looking back"

Hey, it's another Redskins ad for premium seats!

Look, these ads are very well produced and executed, use a nice mix of narration and player quotes, and make my heart race a little bit. Even if we're not used to seeing Redskins ads like this, I enjoy them immensely. Just a few quick questions about this one.

1) The opening shot, with a player looking at a monsoon gushing over a football field and the ominous words "no more looking back!" voiced by the narrator? That means fans shouldn't look back on the disaster that was 2009, right? But fans are still allowed to look back on all the nostalgia stuff that the Redskins are selling, including the Future Is Now slogan, the alumni reunions and the R logo in these R You In ads, right? That sort of looking back is still cool? Because I love that sort of looking back.

2) When Mike Shanahan opens his mouth and the soundtrack roars at about the 0:06 mark, is that supposed to be him roaring? I like to imagine he roars like that. Even at home. When he's eating steak. "Look, a steak! Roooooaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggh!" Or even a strawberry smoothie. "I'm going to drink you! Roooooaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhh!" No more looking back, smoothie. It's our time.

3) "Time to stop talking. And start playing," is sort of the money line here. And what this actually means is "time to stop watching baseball and other girlie sports and time to start buying Redskins premium seats," correct? Because these aren't actually ads for Redskins football, but for premium seats to Redskins football, if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, I can't wait for the next one.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 15, 2010; 6:34 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: FiOS adds MASN2 in HD
Next: Bryce Harper isn't interested in contract talks

Comments

How can you sell what you can't give away?

Posted by: ridgely1 | July 15, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

You can't. These seats are the biggest ripoff in sports today.

Soon the Redskins will expand this ad campaign to general admission seats. Daniel Snyder keeps alienating the fan base to the point that there will be more fans of other teams in D.C. than there are Redskin fans, and no one will want to buy season tickets to watch mediocre product on the field.

Posted by: RojoJohnson | July 15, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Two things.

#1. No More Talking....then clips of the players talking? Wha? Even if its just to say They "R" in?

#2. Get rid of the "We Want Dallas" chant at the end. Its fun at certain times. But other times it makes them seem like the Red Headed stepchild to a team that has won even fewer playoff games since the 96 than the Sknis have....and that's not saying a lot.

Posted by: EckertA | July 15, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

That "We want Dallas" chant makes me ROFL.

As a former fan of the Lower Potomac Indigenous Peoples, it no longer pains me to factually state that the 'Boys have absolutely pwned the Peoples for the last few years. How can anyone draw any other conclusion after objectively looking at their head to head record and the fact that Dallas at least routinely makes the playoffs?

Posted by: playahatah | July 15, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

98 is in so is 47 and 50 why is that corner in the mix last time I saw him being in was when he jump on a pile created by 98 and 50 . I know for sure he ain't in he will trip before he gets there to be in . Oh wait he is in danny's pocket and is the CP in the other ?

Posted by: terryreece | July 15, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'll put it to you this way...

I make a pretty decent salary, but in no way shape or form can I afford to attend even one game with the prices at the stadium. And I am not the only one with this problem. If it were more reasonably priced (ie. I don't have to spend several hundred dollars for the ticket, parking, food, beer, etc...) I would go to some games.

Snyder isn't alienating his fan base, he is price gouging and bleeding us dry just to see our team play.

Posted by: ericroks | July 15, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Redskins fans on the blogs really are the worst. It's painful reading these comments. Price gouging?? Seriously, you are an absolute moron and have no clue what price gouging is.

The average price for a family of four to go to a game in Dallas is $760, nearly twice what it is for the Redskins. Why don't you blame capitalism and the free market--even though you'd still sound like a lunatic--instead of blaming Dan Snyder.

The average cost to take a family of four to an NFL game is $412. The average cost to to take a family of four to a Redskins game is $441: a difference of a whopping $28.

The average price of an NFL ticket is $75. The average price of a Redskins ticket is $79: a difference of a whopping $4.

The average price of a beer at an NFL stadium is $6.80. The average price of a beer at Redskins games is $7: a difference of a whopping 20 cents

The average NFL ticket price went up over 4% last year. The Redskins did not raise their prices.

So to all the idiotic Redskins fans who can't stop themselves from attacking Dan Snyder and his alleged "price gauging", you really need to shut the hell up bc you have absolutely no clue whatsoever what you are talking about.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 15, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm not in UNTIL all of those season tickets sold to the ticket brokers have been reclaimed by the Redskins and sold to REDSKIN loving fans PERIOD.

Posted by: rillbizi | July 15, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Barno1, let's meet up in a dark alley to "discuss" my idiotic remarks.

Posted by: ericroks | July 15, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Fix the waiting list and obstructed seating issues, stop taking your paying customer for granted and show some type of goodwill...

and I don't need no stinkin video for THAT, just do IT.

Posted by: kahlua87 | July 15, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I'll put it to you this way...

Posted by: ericroks | July 15, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

You make a "pretty decent salary" but can't afford $79 (the average price) for a ticket? Since your anger is directed solely at Dan Snyder for this dilemma, one can only assume you could afford the $75 it costs to go to a game at another NFL stadium on average, just not the $79 it costs to attend a Skins game. So the problem, as I see it, is the $4 difference.

Well, ericroks, I'm not going to judge you on that $4, everyone's financial situation is different. But surely there must be a way for you to save an extra $4 during the course of the year so you can attend a Redskins game. And if it's just not possible, I'd be happy to give you $4 to make it happen.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 15, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | July 15, 2010 11:53 AM

Totally agree with Barno here. It's so annoying hearing people cry like little babies about Snyder, as if every other NFL fan gets to see their team for free with the best seats and drinks free beer and eats hot wings. For free. DC is one of the highest income areas in the country (world for that matter) and the fact that our seats cost less than many teams proves that Snyder is not out to make us poor.

People just complain because they're angry, bitter losers fed up with their lot in life. And it's always easy to bash an unpopular rich person than it is to look at facts and realize nothing shady is going on here.

One more thing - if seats were $50 and beer were $2.50, do you think you'd actually be able to find a ticket? Nope, you wouldn't.

Hail!