Redskins: Week 1 underdogs vs. Dallas

(John McDonnell - TWP)

Because I was in Las Vegas last week, I figured I should wander by the Venetian sports book and see what sort of Redskins odds were being offered, what player-props were on the board, whether the chairs were exactly as comfortable as I remembered, and whether it still smelled like heaven. Yes, you can do all of this online (minus the chairs), but it's not quite the same as clutching the wrinkled piece of paper in your sweaty hand, holding it slowly up to your nose and inhaling, then locking yourself in a bathroom stall with a calculator and your bank account print-out.

Wait, strike that last part.

Anyhow, the most arresting D.C. football thing I saw was the week one odds. Dallas Cowboys (-4) at Washington Redskins. Buy, buy, buy on the home team.

Turns out the Redskins have been underdogs in nine of their previous 10 meetings with Dallas, according to Covers.com. That's a humiliating statistic, but the results have been better than Vegas's predictions.

The teams have split their past 10 meetings, and the Redskins have covered the Vegas line in seven of those 10 games. Now you add in a coach not likely to call the swinging gate play on fake field-goal attempts, and it looks like a sure thing to me. Theoretically.

Other Vegas Redskins odds, all from the Venetian, all as of July 7:

* Clinton Portis is listed at 75-1 to win the NFL rushing title, tied for fourth in the NFC East. Larry Johnson comes in at 200-1. Willie Parker has hitched his wagon to "Field." Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson are the two favorites.

* Donovan McNabb is listed at 40-1 to win the NFL passing yards title, which makes him the 17th choice. He's fourth in the NFC East, behind Tony Romo (8-1), Eli Manning (15-1) and Kevin Kolb (22-1). Peyton Manning and Matt Schaub are the two favorites. The over-under for McNabb passing touchdowns in the regular season is listed at 20.5.

* Santana Moss is listed at 50-1 to win the NFL receiving yards title, which is at least better than the team-less Terrell Owens (75-1). Moss is fourth in the NFC East. Sense any trends?

* The Redskins are in a three-way tie for the 22nd best odds to make the playoffs. Yes, that leaves them fourth in the NFC East. (The odds are +220 yes, and -300 no.) The team's over-under for wins is 7.5.

* The Skins are actually tied for third in odds to win the NFC East (4-1), behind the Cowboys (6-5) and Giants (2-1).

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 19, 2010; 11:31 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Strasburg: most marketable MLB pitcher
Next: Barkley declares himself a Redskins fan

Comments

Should be higher...

Until we can score a TD against them.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | July 19, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Untill I see something on the field,I'm not buying into anything. Receivers,running back,O line ???
I'm not sure they are over last year enough to make the upgrade at QB flourish.
That spread sounds about right to me. I would take the Skins and the points. And hope for the best,maybe tease the points up and take the Jets as well.

Posted by: ridgely1 | July 19, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I know there are a lot of variables, new coaches, running backs, o line, questions on receivers, change in def system. So if I were an impartial bettor, I see why the odds are not great in any of the categories. It just seems to me that this team is poised to surprise a lot of people. They have made a lot of upgrades, and while the 4-12 looks ugly, they were in a lot of games and even leading late. With a real coaching staff, I will be surprised if they are not over the 7.5 wins, despite the schedule. The Steelers won the super bowl 2 yrs ago with the toughest schedule. It doesn't always matter. It's match ups and injuries, and when you play someone. For example, I'd hate to play a playoff contending Dallas team in D after 2 straight losses during a run to the playoffs, but after an easy win vs Detroit at Washington, it looks a lot better.

And I'm not sold on Kolb yet. I'd still put McNabb ahead of Kolb. Even Philly fans don't expect more than 8 wins this year.

Posted by: mj25 | July 19, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Viva Las Vegas!

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | July 19, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Too early to tell much of anything. This team can go 7-2 and turn right around and tank. Until we can see some consistency (and not mediocre consistency), all bets are off.

Posted by: kahlua87 | July 19, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The over/under is 7.5?!?! That's an even easier bet than being only a 4 point 'dog to Dallas. UNDER.

Next year (or the year after, if there's a work stoppage), maybe. But not 2010, unless I'm drunk and dreaming.

Posted by: huguenotklj | July 19, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I think the Skins are looking at a .500 record at best looking at their schedule. I will hope for the best but can't realistically see them doing better than this.

vs. NFC East = 2-4
vs. NFC North = 2-2
vs. TB/St Lou. = 2-0
vs. AFC South = 2-2

Posted by: skinsFan74 | July 19, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Barkley is a Redskins fan, Woo-Hoo! I know they can win now! Woo-Hoo! BTW, Who the he11 cares what the oddsmaker`s say?! Barkley likes us and that is good enough for me. BTW, F-Dallas!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | July 19, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

sports are rigged just look at the miami heat BS!!!!

Posted by: xpac69 | July 19, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

and that vegas odds is also proof,but i hope the skins proove me wrong.Go SKINS!!

Posted by: xpac69 | July 19, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

i hope they win week one, but then again i could see the boys blowing us out easily.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | July 19, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

odds are they stink it up. focus on changing the racist name and getting bob marley off the helmet, it is 2010, not 1820! best hope is another strike bowl ring with 8 game season. skins have mastered that trick.

Posted by: doyouktt | July 19, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Just makes a Skins victory even sweeter.Love watching the Cryboys lose, point fingers and whine.Especially when Jerry Jone's pasty ass face is on the field. I'm sure that butt sniff Troy Aikman will be calling the game too. Hail!

Posted by: OldSchoolNC | July 19, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to make any ridiculously bold predictions. However, THIS Skins team is without a doubt "A horse of a different color" from anything we have seen since Snyder bought the team. No disrespect to Joe, ( I love Gibbs) but this team will eclipse anything that Joe accomplished on his 2nd go round. The fact that Snyder has been removed or removed himself from the equation, is a huge factor. The entire way that the team is run now, is a huge factor. But most important is the fact that the Shanahans will not struggle with game day & game time decisions, especially if they are in the last 2 minutes. This has been a problem dating back to whoever Coached after Gibb's 1st tour with the Skins. I don't know what happened to Joe his 2nd time around, because he used to be the master at making adjustments at halftime and he practically revolutionized play in the last 5 minutes of a game. SO, mark my words, you heard it here first, take it to the bank ... the 2010 Skins will easily be better then the Vegas predicted 4th in all these catagories ... NO DOUBT !!!

Posted by: EFitz1000aolcom | July 19, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to make any ridiculously bold predictions. However, THIS Skins team is without a doubt "A horse of a different color" from anything we have seen since Snyder bought the team. No disrespect to Joe, ( I love Gibbs) but this team will eclipse anything that Joe accomplished on his 2nd go round. The fact that Snyder has been removed or removed himself from the equation, is a huge factor. The entire way that the team is run now, is a huge factor. But most important is the fact that the Shanahans will not struggle with game day & game time decisions, especially if they are in the last 2 minutes. This has been a problem dating back to sometime around the Schottenheimer days, after Gibb's 1st tour with the Skins. I don't know what happened to Joe his 2nd time around, because he used to be the master at making adjustments at halftime and he practically revolutionized play in the last 5 minutes of a game. SO, mark my words, you heard it here first, take it to the bank ... the 2010 Skins will easily be better then the Vegas predicted 4th in all these categories ... NO DOUBT !!!

Posted by: EFitz1000aolcom | July 19, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to make any ridiculously bold predictions. However, THIS Skins team is without a doubt "A horse of a different color" from anything we have seen since Snyder bought the team. No disrespect to Joe ( I love Gibbs), but this team will eclipse anything that Joe accomplished on his 2nd go round. The fact that Snyder has been removed or removed himself from the equation, is a huge factor. The entire way that the team is run now, is a huge factor. But most important, is the fact that the Shanahans will not struggle with game day & game time decisions, especially if they are in the last 2 minutes. This has been a problem dating back to sometime around the Schottenheimer days, after Gibb's 1st tour with the Skins. I don't know what happened to Joe his 2nd time around, because he used to be the master at making adjustments at halftime and he practically revolutionized play in the last 5 minutes of a game. SO, mark my words, you heard it here first, take it to the bank ... the 2010 Skins will easily be better then the Vegas predicted 4th in all these categories ... NO DOUBT !!! After a 10 to 12 year fan drought with a Gibbs tease thrown in the middle, we will finally have something to cheer about again !!!

Posted by: EFitz1000aolcom | July 19, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Folks...

I'm a 40 year long-time Redskins fan and have enjoyed their successful years under Allen and Gibbs and their recent no-so-successful years. Win or Lose, I love them but am also a "Realist". Looking at their schedule, they will be fortunate to be an 8&8 team this year. Still have a lot of holes to fill and a lot of "aging" players who will be very suceptible to injury, so you watch, we will have alot of guys hurt through-out the season, and hence an inability to get any kind of continuity going on both sides of the ball because of the ever-constant rotation of new players. Next season (if there is one)will be our best opportunity to make the playoffs. Unfortunately, I see the Cowgirls winning the division, the Midgets finishing 2nd and us and the Beagles will be battling for 3rd with both teams struggling but likely finishing at 8&8...

Posted by: cpgolfs2 | July 20, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

EFitz: You're buying into the Snyder propaganda. Don't do it. Look at this team logically and objectively. We're 8-8 and that's with a lot of breaks. Come on, man, you're better than that. Aren't you?

Posted by: RojoJohnson | July 20, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Before the start of the baseball season, the San Diego Padres were at 75-1 odds to win the NL West. How's that prediction looking now?

Posted by: unquiltom | July 20, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

WOW.. VEGAS PICKING THE COWTURDS 90% OF THE TIME, YET THE SEIRES IS SPLIT? I THINK THAT SAYS ALOT...

MAYBE I SHOULD START BETTING, MCNABB 20.5 TOUCHDOWNS SEEMS VERY VERY DOABLE.

Posted by: dcskinsfan | July 20, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

That Cowboys fan in the picture with the insufferable smirk on his face and arms raised in victory will be the first to hide under the bed if the Cowboys tank this year. That's what Cowboy fans do in my experience.

Posted by: willbkill | July 21, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse