Shanahan reaffirms: Redskins won't pursue Terrell Owens

In April, when Terrell Owens first began talking about a reunion with Donovan McNabb, Mike Shanahan quickly doused the fires, saying "we will not go in that direction right now." Sounds like "right now" might have meant "ever."

Shanahan appeared on New York's WFAN Thursday afternoon to promote the American Century celebrity golf tournament, and he was asked yet again about Owens -- who has mentioned the Redskins as a team he'd like to join twice in recent weeks.

"I made a commitment relative to T.O., that we were not gonna go in that direction," Shanahan said. "There's a lot of factors involved, but bottom line is...."

Well, I'm not quite sure what the bottom line is, because Shanahan's cell phone cut out. But the tone of his voice made it pretty clear: no T.O. in D.C. (Listen to the interview here.)

Shanahan also talked about his relationship with Daniel Snyder, after the hosts asked him whether he had any doubts about joining forces with the sometimes controversial owner.

"I know what type of commitment that he has made to the Washington Redskins," Shanahan said. "He wants to win more than anybody. And he let me know that I'd have final decisions on all the personnel, and things along those lines, and told me how he expected my relationship and his relationship to work. And I've been working there for the last six months, and I couldn't ask for anything more than what he's given me."

Shanahan said Donovan McNabb has been a class act to work with. He said he's not sure where Brian Westbrook is in considering his various offers. He said praised his new division, saying "you want to play in the top division, and I think the NFC East over the years has been the top division. Right now [it has] a lot of good football teams, and hopefully we can play well and get back on top."

And he talked at length about Albert Haynesworth, which I'm burying since you're all sick of me writing about him.

"I talked to Albert about a month after I got the job and sat down with him and I said if he did not want to be part of the Washington Redskins, that I'd let him go," Shanahan said. "I wouldn't trade him, I'd let him go to another football team. But if he did take the check for $21 million, I expected him to play any position that we thought would be in the best interest of the Washington Redskins, be it nose tackle, defensive end or if we wanted to play him at free safety, but we expected him to come in in great shape and do the things that he's capable of doing.

"And hopefully he does that. He hasn't shown up for mini-camp, so guys are gonna be looking at him, to see what type of shape he's in, if he's willing to do the little things the right way. And time will tell. If he is buying in, and he is in great shape, we know what type of talent he is, and we know he can help our football team win."

The hosts noted Rich Campbell's recent story about Haynesworth losing more than 30 pounds, and asked if there was an issue with other players in the locker room losing patience with him.

"You know, I don't even worry about that," Shanahan said. "I want guys that are gonna come in and work extremely hard, and hopefully Albert does that. Does he need to do that with the rest of his teammates? I think he does. I think he's got to come in in great shape. People have to know that he's gonna do what's in the best interests of our organization to help us win. We're gonna play him at a position that we think will help us win, and hopefully he can play at that high level, because he's very talented. And hopefully he makes that commitment when he comes in."

And the hosts asked if this was all really about the matter of Haynesworth's position.

"I really don't know, to be honest with you," Shanahan said. "Obviously it sounds like that. I have not talked to him since that one conversation I did have, but I made it crystal clear to him that if he did take that $21 million, we expect him to play at the position that we feel gives us the best chance to win."

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 15, 2010; 5:26 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trevor Booker is a "Grown-Ass Man"
Next: Wall keys Wizards' third straight Summer win

Comments

And he still took the money. Jerk-off.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | July 15, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Agreed StuScott agreed!

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | July 15, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Obviously something got lost between Shanny's understanding that if AH took the check he'd play NT and Haynesworth pocketing the cash. Give me $21 million and I'd gladly hang from a flag pole on the roof of FedEx field every game.

Posted by: randysbailin | July 15, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

It's like a child who won't clean their room so the parent offers to give him ice cream if he'd do it. Only, the parent was foolish to give him the ice cream first instead of after. So now the parent have a fat and happy kid but still a messy room.

Posted by: visionof75 | July 15, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Coach should know you can't unilaterally alter a contract like AH has with the skins. The time to tell AH he had to play NT was when the skins first agree to pay him all that guaranteed money and danny was promising him what position he would play. What would have been fair for both parties was if the skins had offered to let AH sit out or "sublease" him to another team for the best deal the skins could get. Afterall, the skins are the party who's broken promises, not AH

Posted by: sxsweet | July 15, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

the contract did not specify what position AH would play. After a 4-12 season he is lucky they didnt ask him to play O line. At that kind of contract you need to do whatever the man who paid it asks you to do...if not...I say we still own him for the next few productive years and there is plenty of room on IR when he gets "gassed".. team doctor says it was asthma...hmmm...guess that your vaunted stats stopped back in 2009...enjoy the boats and cars and strippers...till it all runs out.

Posted by: shanahananigans | July 15, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

@sxsweet
Afterall, the skins are the party who's broken promises, not AH

Sorry, that promise wasn't in the contract that was signed by Stompworth.

Posted by: hessone | July 15, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

only people beating the TO drum is the Wash Post writers...and they won't let it go....

Big Al in shape...we'll see...32 lost lbs might make those weak ankles even worse...see a spring training injury coming on the walk from the locker room to the practice field on the first day.

Posted by: outrbnksm | July 15, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Thank you so much for the Rich Campbell link, Steinberg. I can see why Haynesworth wanted to train on his own. I'll never forget how out of shape he was last season. Was actually worried for his health. I guess with the new 100 million contract, he obviously had way too many celebratory dinners and secretly weigh more than he was listed. Now he's taking care of his health and getting ready for camp. So, it's all good.

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 16, 2010 3:25 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I'm not tired of you bringing up Albert. But now I'm tiring of you mentioning how much everyone IS tired of it. Just report the *blank* and keep it moving.

T.O. and A.I. and cats like that should ride off into the sunset; they HAD THEIR DAY, they've made their money and accumulated their stats, and acted undignified and obnoxious and then, cried and begged for forgiveness and another chance.

Nobody wants you anymore; you ain't the cute chick now, you're the old hag. And when you're the old hag, no one gives a *blank* what you say or think.

Just go away...

Posted by: kahlua87 | July 16, 2010 6:43 AM | Report abuse

T.O. = tried & out dated plus Mr. Shanahan is going to fix our WR with either the next draft which we will settle for a top WR 1st round and maybe a late rounder , I still want to know why Mitchell was cut . If Kelly & Thomas can do their f**king JOB and Moss keeps his hammy right we could have a decent year with DNab throwing for 3000.00 plus . Peyton Manning loss his top WR and still has had great passing yards . DNabb is gonna love Kooley and Davis ...you watch Davis in the slot and out wide man this cat is going to be a beast you watch !!!

Posted by: terryreece | July 16, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Nothing to see here~

MOVE ALONG!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | July 16, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

3.6 SCALE EARTHQUAKE ROCKS ASHBURN

ASHBURN, VA -- Things were shaking, rattling and rolling early this morning in Ashburn, Virginia, site of the Washington Redskins training camp.

The U.S. Geological Survey Team in Colorado said an earthquake measuring approximately 3.6 on the Richter Scale was noted shortly after 5 a.m. local time this morning, centered in a rock formation about 3 miles beneath the training camp.

While there were no reports of injuries or property damage, things did get off to a comical start at the Redskins camp, because team officials thought initially that overpriced defensive tackle Albert “Jabba” Huttsworth might be reporting early to the camp, which is not expected to officially open until July 29.

“I hate to say it, but this morning’s quake wasn’t much different than what we hear and feel when Albert is taking his morning constitutional,” said one team official, who went on to explain that the highest paid lineman in the NFL seems to have a special affinity for mass quantities of beef and bean burritos.

“But then we soon realized how absurd that idea was,” said the official. “Some things happen, and other things don’t. Earthquakes happen -- that’s true. But Albert reporting early to camp? Impossible -- it just would never happen.”

Posted by: Vic1 | July 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

@sxsweet
Afterall, the skins are the party who's broken promises, not AH

Sorry, that promise wasn't in the contract that was signed by Stompworth.

Posted by: hessone
---------------------------
Hessone,

Agreed the promise to have AH play in a 4-3 was not in the contract. But what was in the contract was a promise to pay him 20+ million dollars in April and comming to mandatory camps in April was not contingent on collecting the bonus. I don't understand why others were saying he shouldn't take money that was contractually owed to him. The punishment for not comming to those camps was a $10,000 penalty not a $20 million penalty. If he should happen to miss any of the upcomming camps then I believe his contract states the team can go after his guaranteed money.

Posted by: 6thsense79 | July 16, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

sxsweet-

Are you delusional enough to believe that the Redskins stated where on the field he would play in his contract? AH had the opportunity to decline to play the "new" (as yet to be determined) position by walking away and signing elsewhere but HE TOOK THE MONEY! If he was a "businessman" confident in his abilities then he surely had the option to negotiate with a rival and put his performance where his mouth is. He has training camp to put all of this to rest by actually being a teammate and being the beast that he can be when he feels like it and does not have a hang-nail.

Posted by: gmuir59 | July 16, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

sxsweet-

Posted by: gmuir59 | July 16, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Could you imagine TO and HaynesNOTworth on the same team.

Locker room disaster!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | July 16, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

T.O. is just the kind of past-his-prime "face" that Snyder has always lusted after. If Snyder passes up on hiring T.O., we'll have proof that Shanahan and the adults are in charge. If T.O. ends up in a Redskins uniform, we'll know that it's just more of the same old story in a shiny new wrapper.

Posted by: prgeyer | July 16, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I love the quote about "be it nose tackle, defensive end or if we wanted to play him at free safety." C'mon, Shanny, put Big Al in at free safety and lets see how he does. :D

Posted by: blackjack65 | July 16, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I think they should sign T.O. just to follow A.H. around during games, yelling at him through a megaphone.

Posted by: Candressuhmoose | July 16, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

All that probably sounded like "grown up" speak to petulant AH, like in the Peanuts cartoons wa waw wah $21 million wa wa waw wah $21 million wa wawwah wah was ww waw and haywnesworth said yes to the part that was, as Shanny put it, "crystal clear."

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | July 16, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse