Stephen Strasburg makes Orlando Cabrera fall down

They say Wednesday night wasn't one of Stephen Strasburg's more impressive outings. I believe I heard Skip Bayless on the television Thursday morning suggesting that he doesn't understand the Strasburg hype.

"I watch Stephen Strasburg, and I like him, but I'm not over the moon, because his personality isn't moving my meter," Skip said. "His on-mound charisma, not moving my meter here. I'm not seeing Kerry Wood, who in the fifth start of his rookie season blew away 20 Houston Astros. Not that he isn't great, but I don't see Kerry Wood yet, and if I go way back, I'm not seeing the Bird Fidrych talk to the ball. There's no off-the-field edge or controversy. It's just strictly those four pitches, right?"

Yeah, this is true. On Wednesday -- aside from the Pete Rose sighting -- it was mostly just about those four pitches.

And yet, stupidly, I still found it compelling, never more so than in Strasburg's first inning. The second batter was Orlando Cabrera. As you can see above, he seemed perfectly ready for the 1-1 pitch. Eager, even.

But when Strasburg dealt, the white blog seemed be heading uncomfortably close to Cabrera's noggin. His feet got happy. The rest of him, not so much.

And thus, time to tuck and run. Had he enough time, Cabrera would have balled himself up, like a turtle, and sought shelter under the strong and hard-chested cover of the non-terrified umpire. Pudge Rodgriguez, meantime, shifted a few centimeters to his left to catch a ball that was slightly off the plate.

Reverse angle!

"Heh!" said Bob Carpenter. "Nobody bails on a curveball, do they?"

And...impact. Cabrera was literally felled by this pitch. It knocked him off of his feet. His lonely days are gone.

Oh, and the next batter was Joey Votto. Maybe you've heard of him. He's pretty okay.

First, Strasburg got Votto to swing at a changeup that literally bounced on the plate.

And then he dumped the coolz-ee-freeze on Votto's upper body with some sort of offspeed number that turned Votto into a pillar of salt. As you'll notice, everyone started leaving the field before the umpire got around to calling a strike three looking.

That inning is why I understand the Strasburg hype.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 22, 2010; 12:55 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Sean Taylor locker display
Next: Kasten on Haynesworth

Comments

Haha, it took me a sec, but now I've got MJ's The Way You Make Me Feel playing on a loop in my head. Nice job, Bog.

Posted by: EYoung77 | July 22, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Skip Bayless is a knucklehead. What more than "those four pitches" does this kid need?

Posted by: hokiepokster92 | July 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

The fact you (a) watch Skip Bayless and (b) care what Skip Bayless says and (c) think it worthy of posting and (d) make me aware of Skip Bayless thinks without warning me so I can avert my eyes means I have to question every thing you've posted before and will post in the future.

Posted by: BDR232 | July 22, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Who's Skip Bayless? I only watch CSN and MASN.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | July 22, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

The entire basis of Skip Bayless's career is to piss people off and get them to pay attention to him - much like Colin Cowpie. They are zeros.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 22, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Guess what? Skip Bayless is an idiot! I can't
watch anything he is on because he is so
dis-interesting. Strasburg must be doing o.k. if this clown is not impressed.

Posted by: arrowcab1 | July 22, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Skip Bayless is a loud mouth Buffoon...who became UNWATCHABLE a few minutes after i stumbled on another one of those worthless ESPN produced Buffoon shows, one morning.

Other than games, most with mute on to SILENCE the Vitales and Bermans and Stuart Scotts..i NEVER WATCH ESPN except once every 4 years to see the World Cup soccer Goals (the rest of the match is UNWATCHABLE)....

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | July 22, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Adding, I understand you're mocking Bayless, but (e) don't.

Posted by: BDR232 | July 22, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear this news....I have written an article about Tim Lincecum for my blog (pardonmybias.com) Here is a direct link to my post: http://pardonmybias.com/whats-up-with-lincecum/

Feel free to comment and start a healthy debate!

Posted by: pmbfan | July 22, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

That Cabrera moment is going to be one of my favorites of the entire season. It was awesome to watch.

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Add this to the long list of examples of ESPN becoming an embarrassment. Totally inane reporting by self-indulgent loud-mouths or sycophants sucking the knees of many times equally obnoxious athletes.

The Decision is the easiest example of this, but if you really want an example of the sad state of ESPN and a lot of sports reporting today, tune in for The Sports Reporters on Sunday mornings. Just unwatchable. E:60 is almost as bad, but they at least sometimes have interesting stories. The Sports Reporters is guaranteed tripe 100% of the time.

Posted by: kungpow9960 | July 22, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Skip Bayless is a moron (redundant, I know). No off the field controversy? What does he want, Strasburg to murder a drifter?

Posted by: grimesman | July 22, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

What type of "meter" does this Skip person have? And why does anyone want to move it? I'd rather have a guy with JUST four pitches - than an "off-the-field edge or controversy" drama filled player any day. Skip should focus on moving his own meter and leave everyone else out of it.

Posted by: earthling | July 22, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of the story about Harrison Ford early in his career. Had a brief walk on part as a bag boy. Studio fired him, with an exec saying "when you came on the screen, I didn't see a star." Harrison said "I thought you were supposed to see a bag boy."

All he has is four pitches? Bayless is truly a twit.

Posted by: zimbar | July 22, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if SS was pitching for the Red Sox or Yankees, Skipper would be doing a Lady GaGa routine everytime he pitched. But since this is about some baseball team in DC his peter-meter is not reacting.

There are three things you can always depend on ESPN to deliver...., mindless hours of Farve coverage, the man called LeBron, and of course the illusion that MLB has only two teams; Yankees and the Red Sox

Posted by: TippyCanoe | July 22, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Skip Bayless is an idiot. His personality takes away from his breathtaking stuff and domination of the league so far? This is a supposed sports writer? What a sucka.

Posted by: mjwies11 | July 22, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Skip is an idiot and light in his loafers. I think we can raise a few thousand dollars on here to see if Skippy would stand in the batters box and let Strasburg pitch a legit at-bat to him. Then let Skippy report on Stras.

Dan - Great screen shots. Everyone around the watercooler was talking about the Cabrera breaker! This blog entry is worthy of a save to my favorites and oh by the way "F" Skippy Baitless!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | July 23, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

This made the 3 Jeers section on Sportsnation yesterday.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | July 23, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse