The food at Verizon Center
Dueling Verizon Center food stories over the past few day. First Ted Leonsis posted a blog item about changes to the VIP seating sections at the Phonebooth, which included a mailing that went out advertising VIP full season ticket packages.
Among the benefits (which also include VIP parking and in-seat waitservice) are a premium food menu that features Artisan and Farmstead Cheeses with Lavash Flatbread and Crackers. So yeah, we're finally mixing artisan cheese with Wizards basketball.
(There are also 16 courtside Owner's Seats, which include way more benefits and cost $1,500 per game.)
Then, over the weekend, ESPN.com released a comprehensive review of the food-safety records at NBA, NHL, MLB and NFL venues in the U.S. and Canada. A full 100 percent of Verizon Center's vendors were found to have critical violations, with mouse droppings at at least 10 sites. Funny, since I often sit back and reflect on the Wizards, and think "such waste." Also, Sports By Brooks pointed out that Verizon Center recently prohibited outside food in an effort to protect food-safety standards.
I'm sure this is just terrible, though I'd probably keep eating all the same foods I ate before. Though can you imagine the sort of stuff I'd write if the Nats had a 100 percent mouse dropping policy, or, heaven forbid, the Redskins? My head would definitely explode.
And listen, due to some unimaginably unfortunate scheduling, I'm out of town at the beach right now. I'm going to try my hardest not to blog about anything, at least until Albert Haynesworth shows up on Thursday and tosses the entire Redskins operation into a fiery pit of doom. I've had very very poor luck boycotting this blog in the past, but I'd ask for your patience and understanding. This is gonna be way worse for me than for you. Before I leave, a zillion things I was meaning to link to:
* Rolling Stone's much-loved Matt Taibbi goes insane while writing about Clinton Portis, arguing that as he went from a superstar to someone insignificant, he "turned into a less coherent cross of Flavor Flav and Dennis Rodman, regaling the D.C. sports press with an interminable and pre-adolescent Halloween costume act" and saying Portis is "often speaking via characters." Except he hasn't done that in years, and when he did it, he was still awesome. Plus, it was fun. Chill out. (Extreme Skins)
* Speaking of Portis, he had an all-white party over the weekend. In honor of Taibbi's rant, I'll go ahead and support Portis's right to party. (D.C. Fab)
* Alex Ovechkin ranks third on Forbes Russia's star index list, based on income, media mention sand Internet searches. He's behind Maria Sharapova and some singer named Alla Pugacheva. (Alex Ovetjkin)
* Speaking of whom, Reader Kate sends along this image of a huge Ovechkin ad in Georgetown.
* Speaking of Georgetown, the Hoyas make a top 10 list of the most gang-affiliated sports hats. (SB Nation DC)
* Speaking of things I don't understand, if anyone speaks French, here's 15 minutes with mystery Wizard first-round pick Kévin Séraphin. (RTL)
* Speaking of people who speak in different languages than I do, Rob Dibble loves Pantera and Slipknot, and has played drums with Megadeth. (Cheap Seats Daily)
* He also says he isn't critical of MLB managers any more, "because [there] are just some lines you cannot cross up here in the booth." (Cincinnati.com)
* Sherman Douglas is playing on the same Kenner League team as Chris Wright, which is amazing. (Josh Barr)
* Language warning on this new-to-me Bullets-inspired UNDRCRWN shirt, but it's pretty amazing. (WEST NYC)
* Language warning on Philadelphia soccer fans, which is shocking and cheap and I don't care. (EPL Talk)
* Here's a long interview in which I talk about writing the Bog. (Writers on Process)
July 26, 2010; 3:25 PM ET
Categories: Caps , College Basketball , Media , Nats , Soccer , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Nats TV ratings no longer last
Next: Max Talbot calls Alex Ovechkin a bad word
Posted by: dalison | July 26, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: efdelaney | July 26, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: CapsNut | July 26, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: PowerBoater69 | July 26, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: clandestinetomcat | July 26, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: randysbailin | July 26, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: rmcazz | July 27, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: kahlua87 | July 27, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: sheepherder | July 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: alex35332 | July 27, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Nemo24601 | July 27, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: rmcazz | July 27, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.